Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 301 to 320 of 3,356

crippyd

I started this this morning and played the first chapter. Seems quite interesting and I'm looking forward to playing more.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

LtSarge

Finished the first DLC. It was surprisingly short, only took about an hour to finish. So apparently, the DLC takes place directly after the ending of the main game. But so far the plot has been very light and rather diffuse and so it doesn't really explain much of what happened after the ending. Perhaps the second one will elaborate more on the plot.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished the second DLC. It was much better than the first one! There were lots more plot events and uncovering of new information about the game's lore. Not to mention that the gameplay was way more varied this time around. The environment played a huge role in progressing through the levels, not to mention that there were more puzzles to solve. In other words, I really enjoyed this DLC.

Overall though, both DLCs don't really answer much of what happens after the ending of the main game. There's basically just a hint of a sequel coming, which we already know now based on a recent rumour. So I wouldn't say it's necessary to play the DLCs if you don't have them. It's definitely not worth purchasing them considering you only get about an hour of content for each DLC. Not to mention that they reuse a lot of areas from the main game, so it doesn't feel like quality DLC that you'd expect. I'm expecting that American Nightmare will prove to be better in that regard.

Anyway, now that I'm done with both DLCs, I got a total of 820 G on Alan Wake, which is pretty dang good in my opinion. Looking forward to checking out American Nightmare next, but that will probably be in a week or two since I'm ready to move on to other series now.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

I finished the first two chapters and gotta say it's a fantastic game so far. Really enjoying the story and the atmosphere is great. It's creepy enough but doesn't go overboard. Looking forward to finishing up the story.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

crippyd

I think I'm near to the end of the main game and I've enjoyed it so far. I like the combat although you can easily get overwhelmed by the enemy. I'm playing on normal so I don't think I would be good enough to play it on the higher difficulties.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

LtSarge

@crippyd Yeah I agree that it's easy to get overwhelmed by enemies, although the game does give you a lot of ammo so it feels like you should be able to go all out with the weapons and not worry about conserving ammo. For example, flash grenades are useful against groups of weaker enemies and the parts of the game that have them tend to give you a lot of them. But it's hard to not be conservative when this game has the feel of a survival horror title, lol.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

Finally managed to install a Windows partition on my Mac after trying all night to do so. Should be good to go on this game finally 😂. My Mac is very powerful but quite old, should be able to run this game though 🤞. Also quite glad that I now have access to all my old steam games too!

I wonder if there are any other game pass games that are "better on PC" because they include additional content or something!

See ya!

ralphdibny

Well I started it, 4K is a bit much for my Mac to handle on this game so I've dropped it to 1080p. Can't really tell the difference between Low, Medium and High graphics settings. Looks good though. I know nothing about PC game settings as I've never bought a graphics card in my life. My Mac Pro came with an AMD Fire Pro D700 or something I think. There doesn't appear to be any achievements in this version as well.

@LtSarge did you buy the DLC for Xbox or play the PC version? Just wondering how you got achievements to work if it was the latter

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I played through the DLCs on my 360. I have no idea how achievements work in the PC version sadly.

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

@LtSarge @ralphdibny achievements should work the same way on PC if you're playing it on your Xbox account.

Last night i finished Chapter 3 and started a bit of 4. This game is absolutely fantastic in my opinion. The story is great and for an old game the gameplay and graphics hold up. The bit of driving I've done I did have a chuckle at as it's no Forza! Really looking forward to finishing this game. I won't be playing the DLC but this game has definitely made me think about playing Quantum Break and Control as it's the same developer. Gotta say that Alan Wake, Titanfall 2 and Ori BF have been absolute gems... happy to be taking part in this gamepass club.

Edited on by Krzzystuff

Krzzystuff

ralphdibny

@LtSarge ah fair enough, yeah doesn't look like the PC version has them. Seems like it's the case anyway from a quick Google search. I'll just have to flick back and forth to Forza/Titanfall for my daily 50pts achievement reward!

@Krzzystuff nice one! Don't think I'm out of chapter 1 yet, at least it hasn't said anything to that effect! Just got out of a crashed car. Are you playing it on Xbox or PC?

I forgot this game was supposed to be like a Stephen King book. Everything about it is like one so far, from the writer being the protagonist (which is common in a lot of Stephen King books) to that creepy hotel that looks over the cabin (bit like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining). Even the use of pop music to set the scene, The Dark Tower books feature so many songs from Hey Jude by the Beatles to a ZZ Top record!

Wake himself reminds me of Stephen king (well his fictional counterparts) as if they were played by Christian Bale in a movie. The voiceover sounds massively like Bale's role in American Psycho except it's tortured author style dialogue instead of satirical yuppy culture parody

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Krzzystuff

@ralphdibny I'm playing it on Xbox and you're still in chapter 1. At the end of each chapter they play a song and the music is pretty great, @ltsarge mentioned the tunes at the end of each chapter when he was reviewing the game. The story is great and it references Stephen King in the game at one point. I haven't read his books so i can't comment on any inspirations but seeing as I'm really enjoying the story i might have to pick up a book from him and give it a go.

Next week we voting on the May game?

Krzzystuff

ralphdibny

@Krzzystuff yeah just saw the on the nose mention when that Stucky guy tries to axe down the door like the "here's Johnny!" scene in the shining. So far I'm getting pangs of The Shining, The Dark Half and even a bit of Misery. Looking over earlier comments, it's interesting @LtSarge was reminded of the TV show Lost because that program was heavily inspired by Stephen King books too, specifically The Dark Tower series.

I think most of the votes are in for April actually, ReCore is looking very likely. Not sure if I'll get much time for it myself though. I've started Alan Wake really late and I quite want to take my time with it. Not sure if I should retract my votes

Perfect Dark - 4 (me, Krzystf, sarge, crkd_sl)
ReCore - 5 (me, Krzystf, sarge, Fuggles, crkd_sl)
Prey - 2 (Krzystf, mndny)
Dishonored -4 (Krzystf, sarge, Fuggles, mndny)
Doom 64 - 1 (sarge)
Doom 3
Doom Eternal -2 (me, mndny)
Wolfenstein New Order - 2 (Krzystf, crkd_sl)
Crysis - 3 (me, sarge, krzystf)

If I retract my votes then it would be a toss up between ReCore and Dishonored at 4 votes each. I'd be more than happy to take a month off myself if people want to play Dishonored in May and we can do ReCore in June? I'd prefer that to be honest, I have a load of stuff to do at the moment so I'd rather not rush through Alan Wake and Recore in quick succession as i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Maybe we can finally get around to Perfect Dark in July too lol, that's been on the voting list since the first game club thread!

Just going to paste in the tag list and see if people are happy with that last paragraph...

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @John117 @Kefka2589 @Kaori-chan @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Krzzystuff

@ralphdibny i have no issues with Dishonoured in May and Recore in June. Give yourself a break and take your time with the games.

Krzzystuff

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I agree with @Krzzystuff, Dishonoured in May and ReCore in June sounds like a great idea! That way you can take your time with Alan Wake as well before we start up ReCore.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@Krzzystuff @LtSarge cheers peeps, it's a big relief so I appreciate it! I just feel really compelled to collect all the manuscript pages in Alan Wake, they are the best bit so far lol. Not sure if I've got all the ones that have been available yet! I've just watched an episode of "Night Springs" (obviously Twilight Zone reference!) in a random cabin about Quantum Suicides haha. I am somewhat aware of the real life multiverse theory that comes from the evidence of objects showing different properties depending on whether they are observed or not (there's a quantum calculator app that generates truly random numbers based on this data) but it's cool to see an albeit brief sci-fi adaptation of that theory in this game!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

Just finished ep 1 woop! I forgot another Stephen King reference was the radio presenters surname was Maine which is also the name of the place that Stephen King is from and features prominently in loads of his books.

See ya!

Mr-Fuggles777

@ralphdibny I'm happy to play anything so Dishonored next month sounds good
I dont think I've played the remaster so will have achievements to hunt down

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

Xbox Gamertag: SGG BADGER

ralphdibny

@Mr-Fuggles777 sweet, cheers sounds good! 👍

A good month for me to take a break, I don't think I'm ready to jump into the non id software games that were part of of this Bethesda takeover just yet 😅

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I actually might be able to join in next month! Between exams and running the PS Game Club, I’ve barely had time to think! Thankfully my last exam is on the 30th (that I’ve literally not studied at all for) so Dishonored would be great. It’s a game I’ve tried to get into about 5 times so this could hopefully be the push I need.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic