Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club: Alan Wake (April)

Posts 301 to 306 of 306

Mr-Fuggles777

Just finished the first chapter and I had genuinely forgotten how good this game is.

I think its helped that we have just picked up a new soundbar (the old has been struggling for a while, I'm sure we blew a speaker one night having a 2 person mosh pit lol) and the soundtrack on this amazing - playing in the dark with the speakers up was pretty tense (I jumped at one point when a shadow lumberjack popped up at the side of me).

My handwriting is really bad - no one can read my Signature

Xbox Gamertag: CHAOS BADGER 77

LtSarge

@Mr-Fuggles777 Yeah I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't encounter many jump scares but the ones that did occur really were quite unexpected, lol. Because at a certain point you'll just anticipate the enemies coming in groups but there will be moments where there's just one enemy and you'll have no idea that he's waiting for you. The enemy placements are really good, not gonna lie.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished Alan Wake. What a phenomenal game! The ending was very good and I see now why people have been wanting a sequel for such a long time. Really hope the rumour that Remedy is making Alan Wake 2 is true now.

Anyway, I've already shared the majority of my thoughts on the game. But to summarise, I thought it had excellent gameplay, great story-telling, amazing soundtrack, lots of collectibles to find and a wide cast of interesting characters. This game was truly ahead of its time and it doesn't receive enough praise for that.

I really liked the achievement list as well. It felt like you were constantly getting lots of achievements during every episode and that's because most of them are tied to doing specific things a certain amount of time, such as killing enemies with the revolver or the shotgun. I finished the game with 620 G which I think is pretty good considering a good chunk of the achievements are dedicated to finding collectibles and doing specific objectives that are rather challenging. Will at least be getting more gamerscore from the DLCs!

All in all, I'm glad that I've finally experienced this highly regarded game. It's been in my backlog for such a long time and once again, I probably wouldn't have had the motivation to play it without Game Club. Looking forward to playing through the two DLCs and American Nightmare next!

LtSarge

crippyd

I started this this morning and played the first chapter. Seems quite interesting and I'm looking forward to playing more.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

LtSarge

Finished the first DLC. It was surprisingly short, only took about an hour to finish. So apparently, the DLC takes place directly after the ending of the main game. But so far the plot has been very light and rather diffuse and so it doesn't really explain much of what happened after the ending. Perhaps the second one will elaborate more on the plot.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished the second DLC. It was much better than the first one! There were lots more plot events and uncovering of new information about the game's lore. Not to mention that the gameplay was way more varied this time around. The environment played a huge role in progressing through the levels, not to mention that there were more puzzles to solve. In other words, I really enjoyed this DLC.

Overall though, both DLCs don't really answer much of what happens after the ending of the main game. There's basically just a hint of a sequel coming, which we already know now based on a recent rumour. So I wouldn't say it's necessary to play the DLCs if you don't have them. It's definitely not worth purchasing them considering you only get about an hour of content for each DLC. Not to mention that they reuse a lot of areas from the main game, so it doesn't feel like quality DLC that you'd expect. I'm expecting that American Nightmare will prove to be better in that regard.

Anyway, now that I'm done with both DLCs, I got a total of 820 G on Alan Wake, which is pretty dang good in my opinion. Looking forward to checking out American Nightmare next, but that will probably be in a week or two since I'm ready to move on to other series now.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic