My favourite part about this news story is people on social medias acting like this is new news. We knew it was coming. The first wave was about what studios could be cut and the second wave is the restructor. It sucks for those who will lose their jobs but to me, this feels like when Elon took over Twitter. Lots of people not doing a great deal. And that is not a great way to run a business. Again, not the staff who may be on the chopping block fault but terrible management. For example, look at Double Fine. Love the studio but it's amazing how productive they have become since losing access to MS funds. I would imagine that Todd has a bee in his bonnet over at Bethesda since he was told he has to actually do some work now!
@RadioHedgeFund
"My hope is that having it around has only served to ground developers into realistic expectations rather than over-producing and having teething problems for years."
It paved the way for the Switch 2 imo. Showing that you don't need raw power to produce amazing looking games. I know the Switch 2 has the AI upscaler, but the developers will still have to optimise their game first.
Nothing on that last for me today. I have heard and seen The Blood of Dawnwalker being mentioned about this week, but prior to that, I have no idea what that game is.
@fatpunkslim I am having such a great time with Plague Tale: Resonance! I went in totally blind so when the story starts to unfold, I was really impressed. It started off like I was playing Uncharted and then you get to 'that' level and suddenly you are playing Alien Isolation!
Currently working through the new Plague's Tail game and after that, I don't have much on my plate. Will give Cold War campaign a re play as I enojyed it when I originally played it on the PS4. Bit of a slow period for gaming for me atm
So played the first chapter. Not a great deal of game play in there so cannot come to a full conclusion yet but I am not loving the combat so far. That window for the parry is very tight
Edit: Played a little more this morning and it is all coming together now
@Kang81 if it is based upon the 2013 tech, each Xbox disc has a unique code. If you sell your game, you will probably lose access to your digital version once a new player has inserted the disk.
This could be the time I finally complete it! Tried a few times in the past but the qol improvements coming in this update are ticking of some of the issues I had in the past!
@Fiendish-Beaver I guess it all depends on tastes but there are a handful of games on that list that peak my interest but nothing that cannot wait until a deep sale. I bought Doom Eternal in August lol
@Fiendish-Beaver not to sound dumb, but what big titles were released in August? And looking forward to September, the only ones I see are Wolverine & Control, if I was going to buy any. And looking even more forward into October, I don't really see much for my self either. Tbh though, and this is my opinion as I have had quite a busy year else where, 2026 has not had a game yet where I have needed to have it day one. Each to their own I guess.
I use to get really excited for events like this (I even use to book time of work to watch them) but in recent years, I have just lost that spark. Part of me hopes this event sparks my excitement for modern gaming. I cannot think of anything I am really looking forward to this year other than Gears of War. The new Plague's Tale has my interest but I will get around to that at some point. I gave up with the new Halo as it was just boring. Very pretty, but boring. At the moment I really enjoying my time with Doom Eternal. Easily the most fun I have had with a video game this year!
Don't worry @Fiendish-Beaver, I am sure the Elite 3 is around the corner. With the one in the wild looking very close to a final production item, I would not be suprised if we see the Elite 3 announced at Gamescom
@RadioHedgeFund this was my thought too. Either is a result in a change to something else in the achievement pipeline or they are making a come back. Funnily enough, I found my old windows work phone the other day. Might charge it up and see if it works 😂
I am really getting sick of hearing about this game now. With how the gaming dev world is at the moment, I can see this being the game that causes the next game crash.
I am happy for those looking forward to it, but I am not not feeling it for this game any more
I have been curious about Date Everything! for a while now and Game Pass has delivered again! Hell Is Us last month and now this. Will also give Beast of Reincarnation a go at some point too.
I have just finished up Hell Is Us. Really enjoyed my time with it and was glad it came to Game Pass as I was really on the fence with it. Now I am having a laugh plaything Doom Eternal.
I really do like this studio but they have always struggled to get funding. There is a great documentary on YouTube about the creation of psychonauts 2 showing the struggles. Even before MS purchased them, I think they had just enough money to get them across the finish line. The extra funds from MS just helped. It is a niche indie studio that was obviously being propped up by MS. I just hope they find their feet and deliver something cool. I am always up for something from Double Fine, except Kilm. Not a MP person.
@ThatFilbo just done a little research on the matter and can see that is the case. Like I said before, I have no idea how Steam worked and most cases around licenses need to talk back every now and again.
However, you would need to still have the game installed to launch it and if, for what ever reason, you could not access the server where that data is, you can not play the game.
The Xbox does support offline mode in a similar way, but again, you need to make sure you have the game downloaded first and 'Hindsight is 20/20' 🤣
Anyway, I hope with MS moving towards the Hybrid console, they will relook at how they currently handle licenses.
Edit: forgot to say thanks for the details. You learn something new every day
@InterceptorAlpha Yes, I know this but the Steam client must be doing some license check at some point, unless it stores it locally in certs. Do you know how long you can be offline without connecting to the Steam server and your games still load? I am not trying to be rude or anything, I am really interested in how it works.
You can unplug your Xbox too and if it is set to your Home console, you can play any downloaded games you 'own'. The only games that I don't think will work (hopefully some one can confirm this) is ones downloaded through Game Pass. If so, that needs to be worked on by MS for sure.
Edit: just read (and was informed) that the licenses are tied to your Steam client locally, so the above about checking in is probably just me over thinking it all 🤣
Comments 438
Re: 10 Xbox Games Are Out Today, Including A Trio Of Day One Game Pass Titles (October 8)
I’ve started Neon Abyss 2 and now in a club. Does any one know what I should do from there to start a new level/run??
EDIT: Solved it. Head to the surface and go into the phone booth
Re: Report: Xbox Layoffs On The Way This Week, Multiple Studios To Be 'Consolidated'
My favourite part about this news story is people on social medias acting like this is new news. We knew it was coming. The first wave was about what studios could be cut and the second wave is the restructor. It sucks for those who will lose their jobs but to me, this feels like when Elon took over Twitter. Lots of people not doing a great deal. And that is not a great way to run a business. Again, not the staff who may be on the chopping block fault but terrible management. For example, look at Double Fine. Love the studio but it's amazing how productive they have become since losing access to MS funds. I would imagine that Todd has a bee in his bonnet over at Bethesda since he was told he has to actually do some work now!
Re: 25+ Of The Best Discounted Games From Xbox's Tokyo Game Show Sale
@fatpunkslim @awp69 I am planning on picking up Silent Hill 2. Will wait for Silent Hill f to drop in price a little more
Re: Hideo Kojima Reveals New Details On Upcoming Xbox Games, Including Lead Actor For PHYSINT
@cragis0001 I was hoping for a shadow drop lol
Re: Roundup: All The Reveals From The Xbox Showcase At Tokyo Game Show 2026
I like the look of Bloomwalker
Re: Here's What Fallout 76's Native Current-Gen Upgrade Looks Like On Xbox Series X|S
oh no... I have recently managed to pull away from my FO76 addiction. Here we go again!
Re: Six Years Ago This Week, Xbox Suffered The Most 'Frustrating' Leak In Their History
@RadioHedgeFund
"My hope is that having it around has only served to ground developers into realistic expectations rather than over-producing and having teething problems for years."
It paved the way for the Switch 2 imo. Showing that you don't need raw power to produce amazing looking games. I know the Switch 2 has the AI upscaler, but the developers will still have to optimise their game first.
@clnabhan don't feed the troll, just mute them.
Re: Xbox Is Officially Taking Over From PlayStation On Hideo Kojima's New 'PHYSINT' Game
@SMJ I can see this happening
Re: Roundup: All The Biggest Xbox Reveals From September's State Of Play
Didn’t get chance to watch it but damn… looks like it was very underwhelming
Re: 15+ New Xbox Games Are Out Today, Including A Day One Game Pass Release (September 3)
I really think my taste in gaming has changed massivly as I don't see many cool games coming out! 🤣
My plate is quite empty atm.
@Fiendish-Beaver Plague Tale is only 12hrs long, so a good weekend and you will beat it. It's worth it. I am really close to the end now
Re: 15+ New Xbox Games Are Out Today, Including A Day One Game Pass Release (September 3)
Nothing on that last for me today. I have heard and seen The Blood of Dawnwalker being mentioned about this week, but prior to that, I have no idea what that game is.
@fatpunkslim I am having such a great time with Plague Tale: Resonance! I went in totally blind so when the story starts to unfold, I was really impressed.
It started off like I was playing Uncharted and then you get to 'that' level and suddenly you are playing Alien Isolation!
Re: These Eight Games Are Coming To Xbox Game Pass, Including A Call Of Duty (September 1-15)
Currently working through the new Plague's Tail game and after that, I don't have much on my plate. Will give Cold War campaign a re play as I enojyed it when I originally played it on the PS4.
Bit of a slow period for gaming for me atm
Re: Roundup: The First Hands-Off Previews Are Starting To Roll In For GTA 6
@AI-Generation it has been confirmed it is running at 30fps on all consoles.
Re: Review: Resonance: A Plague Tale Legacy (Xbox) - A Fantastic Evolution Of Action, Stealth & Exploration
So played the first chapter. Not a great deal of game play in there so cannot come to a full conclusion yet but I am not loving the combat so far. That window for the parry is very tight
Edit: Played a little more this morning and it is all coming together now
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
CEX will be updating all their Xbox One game prices tonight! lol
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
@fatpunkslim they sat down in a room, knowing the future is all digital and have come up with a great middle ground, imo.
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
@FraserG thought so! It is just like what Xbox wanted to do when they got destoryed during the Xbox One reveal!
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
@Kang81 if it is based upon the 2013 tech, each Xbox disc has a unique code. If you sell your game, you will probably lose access to your digital version once a new player has inserted the disk.
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
@Elbow Xbox One and Series games only for now
Re: Xbox Disc To Digital Announced, Supports Thousands Of Physical Games At Launch
Incredible news!
Re: New Guitar Hero-Inspired 'Stage Tour' Coming To Xbox With Full-Band's Worth Of Controllers
Is that the price just for the guitar, with no game?!
Re: The Witcher 3: Remastered Is A Major Free Upgrade Heading To Xbox This September
This could be the time I finally complete it! Tried a few times in the past but the qol improvements coming in this update are ticking of some of the issues I had in the past!
Re: Poll: How Would You Grade Gamescom Opening Night Live 2026?
I watched 30 mins live and that was enough for me. Will check the trailers in the morning over a brew
Re: I'm Halfway Towards Getting GTA 6 For Free On Xbox, But I've Run Into Some Issues
Currently sitting on £55 worth of points 🙂
Re: Two Former Xbox Studios Confirm Their Independence And Plans For The Future
I wish these studios well but I cannot see them releasing anything any time soon.
Re: Two 'Day One' Releases Are Confirmed For Xbox Game Pass Over The Next Few Days
@Fiendish-Beaver I guess it all depends on tastes but there are a handful of games on that list that peak my interest but nothing that cannot wait until a deep sale.
I bought Doom Eternal in August lol
Re: Two 'Day One' Releases Are Confirmed For Xbox Game Pass Over The Next Few Days
@Fiendish-Beaver not to sound dumb, but what big titles were released in August? And looking forward to September, the only ones I see are Wolverine & Control, if I was going to buy any. And looking even more forward into October, I don't really see much for my self either.
Tbh though, and this is my opinion as I have had quite a busy year else where, 2026 has not had a game yet where I have needed to have it day one. Each to their own I guess.
Re: Seven Big Showcases That Need To Be On Your Radar At Gamescom 2026
I use to get really excited for events like this (I even use to book time of work to watch them) but in recent years, I have just lost that spark. Part of me hopes this event sparks my excitement for modern gaming. I cannot think of anything I am really looking forward to this year other than Gears of War. The new Plague's Tale has my interest but I will get around to that at some point. I gave up with the new Halo as it was just boring. Very pretty, but boring.
At the moment I really enjoying my time with Doom Eternal. Easily the most fun I have had with a video game this year!
Re: Xbox 25th Anniversary Controller: Release Date, Price & Other Details Seemingly Revealed
@JON22 GAME selling gaming products?! Now that is a great joke!
Re: Xbox 25th Anniversary Controller: Release Date, Price & Other Details Seemingly Revealed
Don't worry @Fiendish-Beaver, I am sure the Elite 3 is around the corner. With the one in the wild looking very close to a final production item, I would not be suprised if we see the Elite 3 announced at Gamescom
Re: Multiple GTA 6 Gameplay Videos Appear To Have Leaked, But There's A Catch Or Two
@AI-Generation your rating for Resi Req is pretty much standard for any modern Resi game.
Re: These 10 Games Are Coming To Xbox Game Pass (August 18 - September 1)
Blood Dungeon looks chaotic and I am up for that!
Looking forward to Resonance: A Plague Tale Legacy
Re: Roundup: Here's What The Critics Are Saying About The Sinking City 2
I still need to play the first one! I even got the free Series upgrade. Might be a good one for Autumn!
Re: Xbox Adds Six New Features In August 12th Update, Now Available To Download
@RadioHedgeFund this was my thought too. Either is a result in a change to something else in the achievement pipeline or they are making a come back.
Funnily enough, I found my old windows work phone the other day. Might charge it up and see if it works 😂
Re: New GTA 6 Footage To Be Revealed In Special 'Extended Look' This Month
I am really getting sick of hearing about this game now. With how the gaming dev world is at the moment, I can see this being the game that causes the next game crash.
I am happy for those looking forward to it, but I am not not feeling it for this game any more
Re: Xbox Boss Teases Platinum Trophy Equivalent For Achievements In 2026
Just bring back the card that showed all the games you have at 100%!
Re: These 10 Games Are Coming To Xbox Game Pass (August 6-18)
I have been curious about Date Everything! for a while now and Game Pass has delivered again! Hell Is Us last month and now this.
Will also give Beast of Reincarnation a go at some point too.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (August 1-2)
@LordDieALot Cool. Does it play ok then? I saw it had quite a few updates
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (August 1-2)
@LordDieALot what are you playing Fallout 4 on? I have been thinking about picking it up on Switch 2 at some point
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (August 1-2)
I have just finished up Hell Is Us. Really enjoyed my time with it and was glad it came to Game Pass as I was really on the fence with it.
Now I am having a laugh plaything Doom Eternal.
Re: Roundup: Here's What The Previews Are Saying About Gears Of War: E-Day
Bring it on!!! Cannot wait for more Gears!
Re: Not A Good Look For Xbox As Halo: Campaign Evolved Plays Best On PlayStation
More powerful console plays game better than base consoles.... News at 10 😂
Re: Former Xbox Studio Forced To Layoff 23 Employees To Ensure 'Survival Of Our Studio'
I really do like this studio but they have always struggled to get funding. There is a great documentary on YouTube about the creation of psychonauts 2 showing the struggles.
Even before MS purchased them, I think they had just enough money to get them across the finish line. The extra funds from MS just helped.
It is a niche indie studio that was obviously being propped up by MS. I just hope they find their feet and deliver something cool. I am always up for something from Double Fine, except Kilm. Not a MP person.
Re: Xbox Announces Big List Of Games And Broadcast Schedule For Gamescom 2026
I remember in time gone by, at the UK game events Xbox always had a great showing. Happy to see them going back to it
Re: Talking Point: How Much Has The Xbox Outage Affected You?
@NecroXeno I guess the one you can play on is set to your Home one
Re: Xbox Servers Are Still Down, Preventing Players From Accessing Both Physical And Digital Games
@MrStark just jumped on my Xbox (finally) after a long work day and it is all working for me too.
Let's have out own exclusive party!
Re: Xbox Servers Are Still Down, Preventing Players From Accessing Both Physical And Digital Games
@badboidre cool, thanks for that. Hopefully Xbox will change some rules going forward with their plan of the Hybrid console.
Re: Xbox Servers Are Still Down, Preventing Players From Accessing Both Physical And Digital Games
@Schonks 2 hours? I did not know that! That is really in line with how Steam handles refunds. Thanks for that info
Re: Xbox Servers Are Still Down, Preventing Players From Accessing Both Physical And Digital Games
@ThatFilbo just done a little research on the matter and can see that is the case. Like I said before, I have no idea how Steam worked and most cases around licenses need to talk back every now and again.
However, you would need to still have the game installed to launch it and if, for what ever reason, you could not access the server where that data is, you can not play the game.
The Xbox does support offline mode in a similar way, but again, you need to make sure you have the game downloaded first and 'Hindsight is 20/20' 🤣
Anyway, I hope with MS moving towards the Hybrid console, they will relook at how they currently handle licenses.
Edit: forgot to say thanks for the details. You learn something new every day
Re: Xbox Servers Are Still Down, Preventing Players From Accessing Both Physical And Digital Games
@InterceptorAlpha Yes, I know this but the Steam client must be doing some license check at some point, unless it stores it locally in certs. Do you know how long you can be offline without connecting to the Steam server and your games still load? I am not trying to be rude or anything, I am really interested in how it works.
You can unplug your Xbox too and if it is set to your Home console, you can play any downloaded games you 'own'. The only games that I don't think will work (hopefully some one can confirm this) is ones downloaded through Game Pass. If so, that needs to be worked on by MS for sure.
Edit: just read (and was informed) that the licenses are tied to your Steam client locally, so the above about checking in is probably just me over thinking it all 🤣