Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 661 to 680 of 3,363

ralphdibny

Just looking into The Evil Within which I think is our Halloween game for the month of October. I noticed a definitive edition on sale on the Xbox store for £6 that includes the base game and it's DLC.

It looks like this is another Alan Wake situation where the DLC is actually available at no additional cost in the Game Pass for PC version though.

Either way I thought I'd give a heads up for the people without a PC in case they were interested in getting the DLC. I'll probably decide what I'm going to do next week at some point

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Oh right, I forgot about the game's DLC. Apparently there are three packs and each one varies in length from 1-3 hours each. Too bad the DLC isn't included on Game Pass Console, but the season pass does only cost €10 on PSN and since I have the game on PS4 I think I might just get it there.

But now that I'm looking at the length of this game including its DLCs, we're looking at a 20+ hour game. Maybe it might be a bit too long for Game Club considering a lot of people are already struggling with 10 hour games (Psychonauts, ReCore etc.)? I think we should put up more suggestions for Halloween at least, not to mention that we've had an influx of new participants who probably want to suggest titles as well.

I just browsed through the horror games on Game Pass (that I haven't played) and there are honestly not that many options besides Evil Within. Prey is fairly lengthy as well. Alien Isolation seems very promising but it's also too lengthy. Outlast 2 is of decent length though and I absolutely loved the first one. Same with Resident Evil 7, although we already had it on Game Club last year. But I don't remember many people playing it then, I think some us were playing other games and Push Square Game Club had Resident Evil 2 going on that month so there was a lot of RE happening at the time (since we had also finished REmake in June that year I believe). I believe DOOM 3 is also a horror game? But personally, when I think of horror I don't really think of DOOM but maybe it is a scary game. It's also of decent length (around 10 hours).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft added Resident Evil 7 to Game Pass in September last year, so we might get more horror titles in September this year as well. If I were to vote now though, I think I would rather play Outlast 2 or Resident Evil 7. I honestly don't know how my life is going to look like during Autumn, so it might turn out that I have too much free time or too little depending on my situation. In other words, I might be willing to give Evil Within a shot if time permits.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

I'm going to veto Resident Evil 7 right off the bat because we've already had it for over a month (end of Nov/Dec) People still chime in about previous months' games and they are still welcome to do so for Resident Evil 7 but we shouldn't do the same game twice. This has nothing to do with my veto but I suspect it will come off game pass by then anyway if it was added last September, I think it's normally a 12 month thing unless they extend it

Other than that, I don't mind if people want to make additional suggestions. The Evil Within is 15 hours on HLTB for main game only and our rough limit for game club choices is 20ish hours. I don't think people struggle with long games because they are long, moreso because of real life commitments which would apply whether a game is 2 hours or 20 hours. People managed with Dishonored didn't they? That was sort of at the 12+ hour mark.

But yeah, if people want to suggest other games then please do. I think my preference for The Evil Within comes from it being favoured when I put out the feelers a while ago, the fact it's been retroactively made an MS/XBox Studios property, I don't think many/any of us have actually played it yet and also that it's absolutely the sort of game that I wouldn't play normally and would probably need the backing of game club to get through it.

I'm not keen to play Doom 3 again because it's 26 hours long (16+8+2 for each campaign) and I played it last year. I haven't played the first Outlast yet either so I wouldn't necessarily be keen on playing the second one without doing the first. I'd probably be up for Alien Isolation but I would play that anyway (probably waiting for the 2 week window when it's leaving game pass 😅) so I don't think I need the encouragement of game club to do so

I think we've had 4-5 new faces pop up with varying levels of commitment made since I originally put out the feelers for Halloween's (October's) game so hopefully they have some input to share!

But you are right, we will firm it up when we get closer to October as some proponents of the game may have dropped out/had other stuff come up by then!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@LtSarge @ralphdibny The Evil Within’s a great game but yeah, 20 hours is being conservative. It literally just does not want to end. It probably works against it in that sense!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett oh really, hmmm. I wonder why HLTB is so off mark. I'm fairly slow at playing games so I always take a little bit longer than the average, but not much more. Maybe it feels longer than it is because of the style of game?

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I mean, is it really that surprising that HLTB is so off the mark? It says that DOOM 3 is 10 hours long yet you're saying that it's almost 30 hours, lol. Same with Resident Evil Remake, it says that the game is 11 hours on HLTB, yet it took me almost 20 hours to finish it last year on Push Square Game Club. I'm also slow at playing games, especially horror titles, so I can absolutely see Evil Within being at least 20 hours even without the DLC.

But as I said, I'm not opposed to playing Evil Within. It just depends on how things are looking in a couple of months.

One more thing. I just recalled that Microsoft added Man of Medan to Game Pass in August last year, one year after the game came out. And last year, the latest Dark Pictures title Little Hope was released. So we might see that game being added to Game Pass in August or September and I'm definitely up for playing that game. I thought Man of Medan was fairly disappointing due to its slow start, but I did some research and apparently Little Hope fixes most of the problems that riddled Man of Medan. And considering these games are made by the Until Dawn developer, I'd definitely give this series another shot. Either way, I'm really hoping we'll get to see more horror games being added in the next couple of months!

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I died an awful lot in The Evil Within even though I wouldn’t say I’m that bad at those sorts of games. It just has a lot of BS. It’s a great if extremely janky game and considering part of the fun is exploring, I don’t get how people could beat it that fast. I guess I must have been slow but I wouldn’t say I’m typically that slow a gamer. Horror games I do tend to save a lot more though, and in that game you can spend a lot of time going in and out of the safe room thing.

ralphdibny

@LtSarge ah yeah, I did the collectibles so I was going off the main+extras time which was fairly accurate. I suppose you probably could rush through it in 10-11 hours

I could be up for little hope but if man of Medan is anything to go by, it's literally an evenings worth of entertainment. Im sure man of Medan was only like 4 hours and best played in one sitting. Hopefully little hope is better too because man of Medan was pretty pants compared to until dawn.

@nessisonett ah fair enough! I don't really play a lot of horror games because I find them a bit stressful. It's scarier to actually lose all your progress from a poorly timed save than to actually play the game itself 😅

See ya!

ralphdibny

I think we have about 3-4 days before we switch over to a Plague Tale Innocence! Just going through some posts and I'm going to tag some bods and see how you are getting on with Psychonauts.

@nessisonett did you finish in the end? I can't remember if you mentioned it over on push Square or not?

@Krzzystuff have you managed to make any more progress yet

@dmcc0 did you pack it in in the end? I see your initial experience wasn't that great

@MaccaMUFC heya, did you get very far with Psychonauts in the end? Did you want to be added to the tag list for this thread?

@crippyd @KilloWertz @Tothington91 did you peeps manage to get some time in with this game in the end?

@LeanerFasterStronger How'd you get on? Did you manage to finish it or did you opt for watching a 'Lets play'? I think I was having a brain melt with this game too, going from simple platformer to a point and click mind set 😅

@antifyre did you manage to beat the meat circus in the end?

@Mr-Fuggles777 How'd you get on? Did you pack it in due to lack of achievements?

@The_New_Butler @ZeD how are you getting on with the game? If you are at all?

Yep, sorry for the mass tags! I just thought I'd touch base with those who said they were going to give it a go or had already started it but not finished it. Apologies if I've missed anyone, I just quickly went through like 5 pages of posts to see!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@The_New_Butler haha fair enough. Yeah games are hard to put down when you pick them up sometimes! Feel free to post your thoughts on both games next month!

See ya!

crippyd

@ralphdibny I've not got to it . Crackdown 3 and Civ 6 have been taking my time up on Xbox and getting an extension to my house has been taking up my real life time.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

dmcc0

@ralphdibny No, I never did get back into it. Admittedly I've not been playing that much this month due to my daughter insisting we have a round of Mario Golf on the Switch most evenings, but despite having a few opportunities to pick it up again ended up starting Banjo-Kazooie instead - which I've also given up on!

I guess I don't like 3D platformers after all... or maybe just a certain era of 3D platformer as I loved the Ratchet and Clank & the Sly Cooper series on PS3 and Mario Galaxy on Wii is one of my all time favourites too.

Looking forward to Plague Tale in August though

dmcc0

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I shouldn’t be too long, just got to finish the second half of the Mexican level and then just the Meat Circus!

antifyre

@ralphdibny - Still wandering around collecting as many fragments as I can before going back. I'll give a concerted effort this week - and definitely on for Plague's Tale.

antifyre

LtSarge

Really looking forward to Plague Tale next month! Been meaning to play this game for quite some time now.

As our resident Plague Tale expert @The_New_Butler, do you have any tips or things to keep in mind before going into this game?

LtSarge

LtSarge

@The_New_Butler Ah that's very helpful, I tend to dislike games that have too strict stealth sections. I'm guessing the game isn't too hard in general?

LtSarge

LtSarge

@The_New_Butler Ah okay, it does look like it'll be a promising experience. Looking forward to giving it a go!

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@ZeD nice one! Good to hear!

@crippyd ah fair enough, good luck with the extension! It'll be nice to have a bigger house

@dmcc0 ah fair enough well no worries. Maybe it's just to do with whether you played it at the time it came out. I certainly find that I have to force myself to play through a certain amount of any retro-ish game that I've not played before before I begin to enjoy it. I think I've found it easier to get into if it's a contemporary game

@nessisonett nice one, nearly there!

@antifyre ah sweet, good luck with it. Should be easier once you've leveled up a bit!

See ya!

Krzzystuff

@ralphdibny I'm camping so I haven't had a chance to progress. I'll likely play a bit next weekend when I'm back home.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic