Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 3,356

R1spam

Okay, so know I have played more of the game post -credits and while I've not unlocked all of the movie clips or alt clips, I've unlocked everything else and (I think) have the most of the story.
I do have a question about John Durick though, I wonder what folks thoughts are! I unlocked the scene where the one kills John Durick in Minsky, the final scene in Minsky where he stands beside Carl greenwood dead and in two of everything when he is just lying down and Marissa lies down beside him. Can the one possess multiple people simultaneously? Is she both John and Marissa? .
@ralphdibny I've never seen that movie but now I'm interested!! Minsky was my favourite of the 3 movies and has some serious dirty Harry straight to vhs clone vibes 🤣

Edited on by R1spam

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

ralphdibny

@R1spam I didn't use the d pad much except for frame movement, I think I may have achieved the same effect as you by doing a wiggle back and forth with the stick until the alt clip played.

I want to explain that thing you mentioned but it's super spoilery and it becomes clear when you have unlocked more scenes. I'll explain it but I'll put it all in spoiler tags.

they can possess multiple people and they possess them by eating their neck (or something lol). Watching stuff in Date order, The One who has possessed Marissa, kills the Minsky actor who is possessed by The Other One. At some point, she tells John Durick what happened and he wasn't happy about it/didn't understand it. So she kills him too but consumes him so takes possession of his body. It sounds like she lived as John Durick for a few decades which is why Marissa "became a recluse". Then The One either popped Marissa back into existence as she says which might explain why Marissa hasn't visibly aged for 30 years or just retook hold of her body. As I understand it, running two bodies at once was a great strain on The One and that manifested as nose bleeds, head bleeds and bouts of unconsciousness.

All while this is going on The Other One has found out that he can possess somebody who watches a film of their old possessed body dying. So the woman who plays the evil rich guys wife in 2oE watches the Minsky guy get shot and gets possessed by the Other One. Then at some point he takes advantage/possibly explains to The One that she can come back more powerful by having someone watch a video of her death, even by fire which is what kills them. So he sets fire to The One in Marissa's body while filming it and we (the player) watch that footage so The One possesses us

Hope that makes sense! 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

R1spam

@ralphdibny @Clankylad that makes sense, particularly given the two of everything theme and how the theme of the movies seems to fit with what's going on with the one. I was just confused as there was a suggestion in one clip from Ambrosio that the one transitioned from John Fisher to Durick. I wasn't sure if that the one had controlled John Fisher or was able to thrall people through Marissa. She definitely didn't feel in control of Fisher through ambrosio, as he seems to get increasingly frustrated as Duricks influence on the movie increases. . This is my first fmv game and I really enjoyed it. I've heard that her story was also really good and would be tempted to check it out now.

LtSarge

I know there are only two days to go for our next game, but I'd like to vote for Signalis for November. I feel like everyone is already playing A Plague Tale but nobody is playing this underrated game. I gave it a go earlier today and it's so good! It would be nice to give it some love here.

LtSarge

themightyant

@lookupmore @Balta666 @R1spam (tagged as you all played it)

This has been on my guilt list for a while, even more so as I originally proposed it for Game Club. But about 6 months late, and just before it left Game Pass, I finally got around to playing, and finishing, The Forgotten City. Here's my thoughts... better late than never.

The Forgotten City (mini-review)

Where to start?

I absolutely loved this game. Like an onion, or a Russian doll it kept opening up more and more. It's hard to fault in some ways as it delivers so well on it's concept and what it tried to achieve.

Yet surprisingly I almost put it down very early on. After about an hour, after the initial exposition was done - there's a lot - but before the gameplay had really clicked, I just felt a little lost and was very close to giving up on it. I'm glad I persisted, there really is so much to like.

I'm going to steal creatively borrow a few quotes from @R1Spam's excellent review (post #1378) as it basically captures most of what I thought about the game.

R1spam wrote:

The writing in this game is so sharp, it truly puts so many AAA games to absolute shame! It's hard to believe it came from a Skyrim mod and was written by someone who did this as a side project. My favourite character is Desius, he's such a slimy, mealy mouthed git! His questline with the bow of Artemis is genius

Never a truer word said. The writing was so clever. Each character felt like they had their own motivations and felt more fleshed out than most professional fare. The layering of each to make a cohesive world and plot was magical. I especially liked the different permutations and who would break the golden rule based on your actions. It all fit together like a beautiful complex puzzle but never felt forced. That it did all this while also meshing nicely with the game mechanics was amazingly smart game design.

The mechanics of repeating actions via Galerius during subsequent time loops is really smart, as it always means you can get to new content while still understanding the clockwork mechanism of the loop.

I've played a few time loop games recently but this one really nailed learning through repetition but without becoming boring from repetition. The Galerius mechanic was wonderful, even more so as it tied directly into a key part of the plot.

The exploration of morality and the conversation with The hermit philosopher is brilliant. The dissection of what constitutes a sin was great, it may be 101 for those with a philosophy background but for someone who doesn't but finds that naturally interesting, it was great.

100% agreed. This game made me think, a lot, in a good way. Questioning your own morality: what it right, what it wrong, who is right, who it wrong, nature or nurture, is it wrong if the culture says it's right, etc. All fascinating stuff that they delivered in a way that was not at all condescending. I also loved the final conversation (major spoiler) with Pluto/Hades and how you could argue your way out of it all, trap them with his own logic, and if that failed that there were many other potential ways to resolve the situation. Such a great finale. Also Karen lol.

This game reminded me a little of Life is Strange: True Colours in that sense of place you have from visiting and revisiting a small location repeatedly. I can't believe I was lost at the beginning, now I could direct you from my head like I lived there. Plus the small but interesting cast of characters that I felt attached to by then end. I had a tear in my eye during the canon ending, in the museum. THAT is how you nail an ending ME3, though citadel was an improvement.

Also agree this is up there, if slightly behind, Outer Wilds but it's not a competition, just glad both exist.

It's funny I missed this in Game Club as Feb/March was busy and I wanted to play Horizon: Forbidden West and also Tunic. All 3 are good games i'm glad i've played. But I suspect it will be The Forgotten City that sticks with me longest.

My Score: 9/10

For anyone still on the fence wondering if it's your jam, I leave you with one last quote:

You definitely get hit with a lot of narrative right out of the gate but if your someone who enjoys sharply written dialogue and doesn't mind overlooking the lack of true gameplay, I would give this a look.

If any of that sounds of interest it's worth a buy! @ralphdibny

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

R1spam

@themightyant I'm glad you enjoyed the game so much and I'm very flattered to be quoted! To be fair, tunic is an absolutely amazing game and I totally get that once that game gets its hooks into you, the only thing you want to do is squeeze your cute little fox face into every nook and cranny in that world and play nothing else!! For forgotten city, it's a bit of a long video but a youtube documentary channel called noclip did a great interview with the guy who wrote the original mod about how he got started and left his job to be an indie game dev. Did you try out immortality this month? It comes with some pretty heavy content warnings that mean it's not for everyone but if none of them are an issue for you, it's also a real cracker of a story!

themightyant

@R1spam Tunic is amazing. Also a game that sticks with you. As much as I liked Horizon it was probably the least memorable of those 3 games. That's not an insult, it is a really good game, but like most AAA's and open worlds quite derivative. I suspect I will be thinking about The Forgotten City and Tunic far longer than I will H:FW.

Talking of memorable games Her Story (also by Sam Barlow, maker of Immortality) is a game I don't think I will EVER Forget, I still think about it often.

Immortality is definitely on my shortest list, I was one of several that proposed it here, but the reality is i'm just a slow gamer with not enough time to play everything. Glad many of you have enjoyed it. Was hoping to squeeze it in before God of War: Ragnarok but am replaying GOW 2018 first... and then The Forgotten City was leaving Game Pass which pushed everything else back. Ah! to be young and carefree again, with time to spare... lol. But can't fit everything in.

I've played all the Game Club Games this year up to August, just Immortals and Immortality missing. I'll get there eventually, hopefully not 6 months late again. And might quote you all again to pretend i'm having a game club dialogue.

Thanks for the heads up on the Noclip Forgotten City documentary. I love Noclip but am really bad at checking whether they have a video AFTER I play a game. Really appreciate the heads up, will enjoy that no doubt.

themightyant

ralphdibny

Hi all and welcome to Game Club's selection for November: A Plague Tale: Requiem.

If you have managed to hold out for the last couple weeks then this should be a lovely choice. A brand new game released day one on game pass and also a sequel to a title that we've played in this club before!

Enjoy!

Please use spoiler tags when discussing spoilerish moments of the game. You do so by typing your spoiler between spoiler tags like this: [spoiler]insert message here[ /spoiler] and removing the space between [ and /

Some HLTB Stats:

Main Story - 16 Hours
Main + Extras - 19 Hours
Completionist - 26½ Hours

Tag list, please tag me and let me know if you want to be added or removed. I think I've picked up everyone who joined this month but please just post and tag me @ralphdibny to let me know if I've missed you or if you want to join!

Also please let me know if you change your username, I might not notice and you won't get the notification (equally let me know if you have changed your username to get away from the notifications and I will delete you off the tag list 😆)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @Banjo- @R1spam @lookupmore @Dusk_Actual @Lavalera @frabbit @djshep1973 @FraserG @WCB @TooBarFoo @SeriousSatan @xMightyMatt14x @Clankylad @BaldBelper78 @TuckNorris85 @Grail_Quest @Jsb5150 @Mamabear @liljazzy2 @Dydreamr @XFinest_KnightX @Elufachi @Amical @Supermutant @revluke @Akropolon @olskoolSEGA @HarmanSmith @Dr_Devious04 @AgentCooper @EliteSlayer

Ok so now, votes for next month.

• Tag me in a post with your vote(s). (Just hit reply on one of my posts or write @ralphdibny)
  • Write your votes in bold (put two asterisks around it) and try and keep it separate from any paragraphs.
  • One line will do, "My vote is such and such a game(s)"
  • Feel free to make the post longer but try and keep the actual vote separate from the main body of the text and at the top of the post next to my tag @ralphdibny
  • Vote for as many games as you like!

The votes reset every month and start from Zero. Feel free to suggest new games and I will add them to the list and count your vote toward it!

Amnesia: Dark Descent -
Brutal Legend -
Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded -
Crysis -
Deathloop - 2 (r1spm, mghtynt,
Fable Anniversary -
It takes two -
Kameo: Elements of Power -
Maneater -
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 1 (hmnsmth,
Nobody Saves The World - 1 (r1spm,
Ori and the Will of the Wisps -
Pentiment - 4 ( r1spm, lvlra, coop, clnkyld
Perfect Dark -
Portal 2 -
Rage -
Return to Monkey Island - 3 (lvlra, coop, balta
Sable -
Scorn - 1 (mghtynt,
Signalis -
Sniper Elite 5 -
Somerville - (mghtynt,
The Gunk - 1 (banjo,
Trek to Yomi -
Tunic -
Undertale - 1 (balta,
Yoku's Island Express -

If you have another game you'd like added to the list then let me know and I will add it with a vote from you!

I will link to this post in my signature so you can just click on my signature to get back to this post and see the list of games and current votes!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

I've actually gone and done a balta666 and completed this game already 😅.

My main reason was because I only redeemed a month of game pass in October to play a few games and that expires in a couple days.

I did enjoy it though. Managed to break it at one point and also found the photo mode to be quite nightmarish. I will post some screenshots later in the month when more people have played it!

See ya!

R1spam

@ralphdibny efficient stuff!! I'm curious as I've never played the first game but have it on ps plus. Is there any interesting mechanical differences between plague tale innocence and requiem that make the first game worth playing? Or would you say just watching a story summary and jumping into this would cover it? For next months game, could I suggest a couple of different games for the list? I've heard nobody saves the world is mechanically interesting and fun to play so might be fun to look at different folks builds. Deathloop might be fun and could be worth checking out the invasion mechanic between us and finally pentiment, which comes out in a couple of weeks but sounds like it has unusual branching paths that might be fun to compare notes on. They would be my votes! Sable has come off gamepass now so maybe time to leave the list. I still want to play will of the wisps but don't think anyone else voted so it's time might be done too.

Edited on by R1spam

themightyant

ralphdibny wrote:

I've actually gone and done a balta666 and completed this game already! Lol

LOL. I started it but got waylaid with The Forgotten City before it left.

I know what you mean about the photomode. It didn't seem to respect solid things like floors... or people... and you could go through them and end up with appropriate Halloween monstrosities. I was only using it to have a quick look how pretty it was and had a shock. Interesting though.

My votes for December will be Deathloop, Scorn and Somerville (from one of the Co-founders of PlayDead Inside and Limbo, arrives on Gamepass Nov 15)

Think you can probably remove Sable as it's off Game Pass and I think only I ever voted for it.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Lavalera

@ralphdibny you're not the only one who did a Balta I also finished it haha. I'll share my thoughts soon.

For December my votes go to Pentiment and Return to Monkey Island

PSNid: Lavalera

praneeth03

Waiting eagerly for Return to Monkey Island

praneeth03

themightyant

@Lavalera @praneeth03 Monkey island is a great shout. But i'll stick with mine for now, so many good games right now. Also want to see more of exactly what Pentiment is before committing, but in theory think it would be a great Game Club title.

themightyant

Lavalera

@themightyant that's totally fine. Deathloop, scorn and Somerville are all on my play later list as well, if they end up being chosen I would play them as well. For me personally the last few months had some great additions that I wanna play, that I barely play anything else than gamepass games anymore haha.

Pentiment is a weird one, kinda hard to say what it is exactly and who will enjoy it, but seeing it is coming from, in my eyes the best Xbox developer, obsidian it's almost a must play for everyone that was also a reason why I chose that as one of the options and if it ends up not being chosen I'll vote for it again the month after since as you said it looks like a great great game of the month choice

PSNid: Lavalera

LtSarge

I think I'll be bowing out of Game Club. Looking at what kinds of games are being voted on and what have been voted on throughout this year, it's been mostly games that have recently been added to Game Pass. I think this is fine as long as it happens once a while, but this has been happening a lot this year when compared to the excellent selection of older titles we had during 2021.

Furthermore, I think it's a bit ridiculous that a fair amount of people voted for A Plague Tale: Requiem and have already finished it. The whole point of Game Club is to play through a game during the month, sharing our thoughts along the way. Sure, others who didn't vote for it could join the conversation later on but that's not the point. I don't feel like games should be voted on and then not even discussed by the people who voted for it. That's why I didn't vote for Requiem because I knew I'd be already playing it in October, which most people also did.

It also makes me concerned that most people are voting for Return to Monkey Island. Again, a game that's soon being added to Game Pass. It's also coming out as early as next week and I kinda doubt that everyone will hold off playing the game for almost an entire month. Come December and we'll be once again getting a bunch of posts stating that people have already finished the game.

In short, I feel like the Club has lost its charm and basically what made it so appealing to begin with, i.e. that we chose games from our backlog that we weren't planning on playing anytime soon (and then actually played them during the month). I really enjoyed the selection of games during 2021 (if you're curious, you can view past titles in the first post) but looking back at the ones for 2022, I think we've gone a bit too far now. It's not really fun or interesting to play games that we're already planning to play anyway. I let myself fall into this spell as well and I regret that now.

I remember another user who left the Club a while back for the same aforementioned reason and I'm starting to agree with him now. So I'll be bowing out.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic