Forums

Topic: Last Game You Beat

Posts 321 to 340 of 561

Astrakan

Got all the achievements on Tinykin a little while back, and have been jumping between different titles since. Tinykin is a definite GotY contender for me.

Astrakan

Banjo-

A Plague Tale: Requiem

There is some roughness in a Plague Tale Requiem. That's a pity because the production values are incredibly high and the game is overall better than the first one, except for Amicia that is more annoying, if that's even possible. Forced combat is clunky, with fast enemies of different kind, slow weapon and ammunition management, manual camera controls and fog that only affects your character (in chapter XV). The way to go through is trial and error and memorising the combat sequence. Graphics are the best the game has to offer. While the story is good, Amicia is so continuously irritating that I didn't feel the ending as I should. I rate the game 8 out of 10, being generous.

Innocence and Requiem are quite similar basically because the main character is an irritating chatterbox and she won't shut up for a single minute until the games are over. For all her infatuation with her brother, Amicia couldn't care less about her mother dying violently. In the first and second games, it's suggested that the mother spends much time researching but that's supposed to help her son. Still, Amicia keeps challenging her mother with no regrets. They're a noble family from France living in the 14th century but Amicia acts and swears like a 20th-century gangster from The Bronx. In the second game, it's obvious that Amicia hasn't learnt a single thing about concoctions or medicines in a conversation with Lucas, while she keeps complaining, blaming and rushing everyone else. Lucas, Arnaud and Sophia are far more interesting characters. In regard to the gameplay, there are stealth sections, puzzles and a lot of combat like in the first game, but the developers added a few concepts from Tomb Raider and bigger areas. The bigger areas are my favourite novelty although the lack of map is disappointing.

I disabled motion blur and it's much better because panning doesn't blur the screen, so I'd recommend other players trying that.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Armando123

It was yakuza 0 and i got a platinum trophy

Armando123

CunningPig

I just played Turnip Boy, and I think I beat it. I mean it said I beat it and I played an endless mode on the train that unlocks after, so yeah.

It was pretty funny. Turnip Boy is a total d***. Or he might literally be mentally handicapped and he actually just has no idea what he's doing all the time and just rips up every piece of paper he sees because of some brain damage or psychosis or something. Either way it's hilarious how he makes his way through the game world.

Underneath this surface level humor is hinted a dark and depressing dystopia that informs the player that the only reason these fruits and veggies are the dominant lifeform on earth is because of some manmade apocalypse. It's really a pretty interesting little game and stuck with me longer than I would have ever guessed for a game with cutesy anthropomorphic veggies that only takes a few hours to finish.

Edited on by DreamlandGem

CunningPig

Lup

Finished Control thanks to Free Days Play. That means I kinda rushed it, yeah.
Maybe that affected my enjoyment, because man, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Gameplay was pretty fun, but aside from that: Story, characters, music... Yeah, nothing really too good at least for me. The voice acting and facial expressions were a little weird too.
Not bad, but not my kind of game, I guess.

Edited on by Lup

Lup

Nancyboy

Terror of Hemasaurus. Loved it.

Nancyboy

Balta666

I finished beacon pines on sunday. It is more of a visual novel altough with a bit of puzzle solving at times (very light) with a twist that you have several para where only one trully ends the game (the other paths have a "the end" but with the narrator stating that it is not what you're looking forward, right?).

The characters are fairly interesting and it has some Nice twists I was not expecting but the star of the show is the narrator itself. She has a beautiful voice and delivers in every aspect. Highly recommended for anyone that it is not bothered by some lack of gameplay

Edited on by Balta666

crippyd

Scorn - Not a great game. The graphics were good but the game itself was confusing and the combat, of which there was thankfully very little, was awful. Got all the achievments, as they were story based, and then deleted it.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

Mundaney

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

"The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?"

Nancyboy

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion.

Nancyboy

Banjo-

Sonic Unleashed (Series X)

Sonic Unleashed is very confusing. My playthrough started when it got the welcome 60fps update on Series X. All my playthrough I've been wondering: What am I supposed to do? Where are the stages? Where is the laboratory? Where have the doctor and Tails gone? What was I supposed to do with the photos? Souvenirs? Food? Hidden medals? Hidden levels? No maps? No tracking? No user interface? It's the most confusing and chaotic 3D game I've ever played. NPC speak things that don't help at all, throwing a few stupid quests to your already complicated life. You can't skip those irritating conversations. And yes, the camera is bad like in Sonic Heroes and the Sonic adventure games.

The final stage alternates day and night sections repeatedly for over one hour and any second you run out of lives and have to start again. Eventually, I managed to get 99 lives easily by replaying the first seconds of Rooftop Run Act 2 where you get an extra life. Then I beat the final stage and the final boss. After all that, I found a few day and night acts I had not unlocked and played them. Then I replayed all the daytime acts. Then, I realised that even if it's just for replaying those, the game is worth keeping. They're not perfect, a few have those discouraging jumps with mandatory button sequences and a few obstacles are poorly placed, sometimes causing death because you're dashing on the surface of an ocean. You're supposed to go through there, but the person that tested was luckier than you. My conclusion is that Sonic Unleashed is quite unbalanced but playing the day acts in 60fps is glorious.

Banjo-

Lup

Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace.
Got it for cheap and since I'm a fan of the board game it was a no-brainer.
It was a fun little game. Rough around the edges but interesting in trying to capture the board game's feel.
Maybe a little predictable but short and fun for one or two playthroughs.

Lup

Banjo-

Considering the huge amount of overrated video games and glorified "indie" titles, I wouldn't blame you for overlooking Playdead's Limbo and Inside. Inside (2016) is Playdead's last work, a platformer with difficult yet coherent and clever puzzles that use natural logic. Unlike other games that claim so, Inside is really a piece of art and an engaging video game at the same time and, incidentally, it's perfect for modern OLED screens. The ending, even the secret ending, might disappoint you, because it's intentionally ambiguous or just not defined nor explained but, if you want to learn about various players' theories, check this article:

https://twinfinite.net/2016/07/insides-story-and-ending-expla...

UPDATE:

Limbo (2010) has shown to me how noticeably the developer improved and made a better sequel with Inside. Limbo is more focused on platforming, the punishing indie kind, with some incomprehensible puzzles thrown in the way, while Inside is one of the finest combinations of platforming and puzzles I have ever played.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Lup

Finished Redeemer. Very short, little fun top view beat'em up. I'm guessing co-op is even more fun but I played it by myself. Still, it gives you more or less what you expect.

Lup

RR529

Finished up Star Ocean: the Divine Force (PS5) today.

It's not GOTY material or anything, but it's nice JRPG comfort food.

Notable Pros:

• I felt the sort of Star Trek-ish world building gave it a unique feel in comparison to it's contemporaries.
  • flying around with "D.U.M.A." made exploration & combat really fun.
  • The board game mini-game, E'sowa, is actually really fun (the pieces are based on characters from past games too, so there's a bit of that kinda fan service for established series fans too), and it's worth it to play as the pieces you earn double as accessories you can equip to your party members, some of which have really useful effects.
  • Very unrepentantly Japanese/embraces the sillier elements of the genre. It's too bad this'll likely go under the radar as it kinda runs counter to those who fear Japanese games are being westernized too much (for example, on the topic of "fan service", Elana & Marielle have the most active "jiggle physics" I've seen in a big-ish JRPG since certain Blades in XC2).

Notable Cons:

• It's apparently not optimized very well. TBH I played it on "fidelity mode" so it was probably capped at 30 FPS or some such in order to push the graphics and I didn't have many issues, however there were times it obviously fell below that (luckily they were usually cut scenes for some reason, so it really had no impact on gameplay). Apparently "performance mode" is worse, as while it targets 60 FPS, it has a harder time hitting it consistently than it does hitting 30 FPS in "fidelity mode". Of course last gen versions apparently perform even worse & the PC release isn't well optimized either.
  • I can't help but feel it's lowish budget limited it's scope. It still feels like a complete game (took me between 30-40 hours to complete & I didn't do all side quests), but without getting into spoilers, it feels like there could have been more to later game areas compared to the environment(s) you're in for the first half of the game.
  • Any time someone leaves the party all their equipment is removed and re-added to your inventory. This would normally a good thing (so you don't lose anything good), but the game has a bad habit (particularly in the early hours) of officially removing characters from your party for really small amounts of time (like for 5 or 10 minute periods), so you constantly have to refit them out. It becomes less prevalent as the game goes on though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Banjo-

THE GUNK MINI-REVIEW
The Gunk is a meaningful story and an intriguing extraterrestrial adventure that doesn't fulfil its own potential. With excellent graphics, art style and performance, the game also offers tight controls and a satisfying platforming gameplay with logical puzzles and platforms using the environment. Lower-quality elements include the soundtrack and the YouTube-like voice acting. The Gunk is not perfect yet it is 100% recommended and included in Game Pass since December 16, 2021 (it might leave soon, so I suggested it on the Game Pass thread). For a hypothetical sequel, hire a better composer than "Ratvader" or just use classical music.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Lup

Just finished South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Incredibly funny game. A little easy, but enjoyable from start to finish. I've lost count of the times I laughed out loud.

Lup

Balta666

Finished persona 5 royal this morning. Really solid JRPG but the franchise is far from one of my favourite. I only had played SMT 3 nocturne (which I did not finish but I believe I was close to) but it is quite similar in what it concerns to the persona system. I get attached to them and it is hard for me to see them go while also looking technics I enjoy but you have too or else they will drag in power. Also found the Royal part to be very boring (mainly the vilain) and end up rushing through it without reading almost anything. But overall still a very worth it experience. Not sure I Will have the strength to start the other two games by january though lol

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic