Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 181 to 200 of 3,366

ralphdibny

@dmcc0 fair enough. It is a bit hard to know with indie games, fans are often quite passionate in their reviews of them. Generally if I try one, it needs to have a decent hook for me early enough for me to continue playing them. A couple indie PS Plus games I've played all the way through are Torquel and The bridge. I found both to be really engaging indie games but I think I prefer more puzzle-y games. On the flip side, two indie PS Plus games I've given up on are 99 Vidas and Not a Hero. Not a hero was quite funny but I still couldn't bring myself to finish it when I wasn't enjoying the game itself.

I think Momodora was OK, coming off the back of Ori. I suppose it was lightning in a bottle in the sense that I wanted to see if I could finish another Metroidvania game considering I'd never got more than a few screens through one before I played Ori. Took a relative n00b to the genre like myself a bit more than the 4 hours that HLTB users seemed to do it in though!

@Krzzystuff I just looked up that wreckfest. Looks quite good actually, I'll have to give it a try at some point!

See ya!

dmcc0

@ralphdibny Had a short stint on both Oxenfree and Momodora last night. Didn't play Momodora for long; maybe the first couple of save points, but seemed pretty good. Not one I'm desperate to get through before it leaves GP, but will give it a go at some point. It seems to get decent discounts on Switch pretty regularly, so might even pick it up there if I don't get to it.
Oxenfree seems pretty interesting; more of in interactive story than a game I'd say (at least what I've played through so far) and has a real creepy vibe like something awful is going to happen. I'll definitely continue with this over the weekend. It's not the kind of thing I'd normally play, but I guess that's part of the appeal of Game Pass - being able to try something different.

dmcc0

ralphdibny

@dmcc0 Nice one, did you manage to make any more progress on them?

I thought both games were OK, worth the time invested in them but I don't think I would have touched them if they weren't shorter games.

Oxenfree is definitely very freaky. I played it over night so the atmosphere was enhanced in that sense. I wish the characters would run/climb faster though, i'd probably play it again for the other endings/achievements if the character wasn't so slow!

See ya!

dmcc0

@ralphdibny finished Oxenfree over the weekend. The walking speed didn't really bother me, but I agree about the climbing sections, they were pretty slow. One thing that I did notice a couple of times was that my speech bubbles would occasionally disappear before the other person finished speaking so I didn't get a chance to respond. Overall I enjoyed it - a nice change of pace from Ori and I definitely died a lot less!
Circumstances meant i ended up finishing it remotely on my tablet with headphones which I think added to the creepy vibe. Interested to see what the other endings are too, but doubt I'll play it again before it leaves Game Pass and not interested enough to actually buy it.

Haven't had another go at Momodora yet, I got distracted by Forza Horizon 4 as usual and still working my way through Paper Mario on Switch! Maybe this week....

dmcc0

Krzzystuff

Ok so Titanfall 2 is in the Weekly gamepass quests.... question is....is it our game of the month for March?

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

ralphdibny

@dmcc0 nice one! Same here re: replaying/buying Oxenfree. It's a good experience for what it is but not worth any additional outlay in terms of time or money

@Krzzystuff yeah Titanfall 2 is our march game. I'll update the thread title sometime on the 28th/1st. Feel free to start it if you want to do the quest or whatever. I've read it's only a 6 hour-er so you'll probably finish it before the week is up haha. Just leaves extra time in March for you to plough through some other games I suppose!

See ya!

LtSarge

So now that we've had our "rebooted" Game Club for a couple of months, I have to admit that I'm liking this format way more than the one we had before. That is, we have one game each month and we can play it whenever we want instead of having checkpoints each week, which is incredibly stressful. I don't get how I was fine with this over at PushSquare, because this format is much more liberating since I can play other games without feeling restricted to one over a period of time. Not to mention that we get to play games that we would probably never play alone. Like I had no plans to play Ryse or Ori anytime soon, but I'm glad that I did.

And now I'm installing Titanfall 2 on my Xbox, which is another game I wasn't planning on playing anytime soon but I'll probably be glad that I did. Looking forward to discussing it with the rest of you all!

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

@LtSarge i somewhat agree! Only somewhat because i wasn't here for the old format. I never did finish RE7...still installed however so maybe one day? And for Ryse it was my first game I played on the series x so I didn't want to replay it so shortly after just beating it. So Ori was really my first true participation and the discussion was great to have. Looking forward to Titanfall 2...just did the opening level earlier today and it git me pumped for the game, heard the campaign is just great fun...not something often said about a shooter...so sign me up.

Krzzystuff

ralphdibny

@LtSarge @Krzzystuff I like the new format too. I've just been ploughing through games this past year so I feel really happy to have lots of spare time to play additional games. It hasn't really come up yet but I won't limit myself from playing a possible future game club game that's been floated as an idea just so I can keep the flow going. I guess it would just mean I don't join in for that month should it get chosen. I only take that viewpoint because I don't want to end up not playing a game if it doesn't get chosen.

I downloaded Titanfall 2 to do the game pass quest so I've played one multiplayer game of it only. I have to say that the controls are really intuitive and while I don't really go in for online shooters, this game actually seemed really fun. Using a Titan didn't seem to be behind a skillwall, I got to use one in my first MP game but I think generally the flow of movement in the non-titan sections was really good. I'd say it's somewhere between call of duty, Halo and Just Cause 3

Anyway, I'm going to update this thread now, I'm probably going to get started on this game tonight as well. I'll be playing the campaign on PS4

See ya!

ralphdibny

Hi all!

We are now coming to the end of February and into March so I am updating the thread. Our game of the month for March is:

Titanfall 2

It's on game pass and it was a ps plus game a while back too so some of you non-Xboxers may be able to join in as well without buying it.

HLTB pegs the campaign at around 6 hours so it should be a nice easy one for us to get our teeth into.

Here is the tag list. As always, please let me know if you want to be removed from it and likewise, if you are not on it then please let me know if you want to be added! I normally only use the tag list once a month but this may change and if you don't mind the notification then you can of course remain on the tag list even if you are dropping in and out of this game club and don't want to or cant play the games we've chosen.

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @John117 @Kefka2589 @Kaori-chan @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney

In terms of April's game of the month, the following ideas have been floated: (i'm including runners up from previous month's)

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Alan Wake
Perfect Dark (Rare Replay)

Please let me know your choice for April. I'm starting the votes from zero on these games now as some people who have voted for these games in previous months may have dropped out of the thread a bit. So if a game still gets your vote for April then just tag me and let me know! Of course you can suggest another game that's not on that list and if it picks up traction then it could also be a contender!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Krzzystuff

I started Titanfall 2 last night and the campaign is great. The story is good and the Titan is actually a great character in it. The graphics looking great but I'm thinking that maybe cuz I'm just catching up from the PS3 generation these are the norm? Either way i like the look and feel of it. I played one multiplayer game before going to bed and it was great. I think i finished last on my side but still got my Titan like 3-4 times and leveled up 3 times in one match...good or bad i don't know but I'll definitely be playing more multiplayer. For April I'm indifferent as all 3 sound great so curious to see what's chosen.

Krzzystuff

Mr-Fuggles777

Looking forward to replaying Titanfall as the campaign was loads of fun (I can't remember if I played it on xbox or PlayStation, so hoping it was PS4 so I still have achievements to chase lol).

Next month I'm hoping it isn't Ori as I'm almost finished playing through it - enjoyed Blind Forest so much I jumped into Willow the Wisps.
My vote will go for Alan Wake.

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

Xbox Gamertag: SGG BADGER

LtSarge

I'd definitely be up for Alan Wake in April, but I would also like to suggest another potential game for April or a later month: ReCore. It piqued my interest when reading about it in the PureXbox article about Zelda like games and it seems to be around the length of Alan Wake so either one would be splendid. Not to mention that it seems like another one of those forgotten Xbox One exclusives like Ryse, so it would be a great opportunity to finally experience it through Game Club.

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

@LtSarge good call on recore. I've started hearing a lot about it recently so wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Krzzystuff

dmcc0

I played through Titanfall 2 quite recently so won't be playing this month. Probably just as well as I'm likely to be working away from home for a fair bit of March so likely won't get much Xbox time in.
Not usually a FPS fan but really enjoyed it; pretty satisfying wiping out all the bad guys while you're piloting the Titan!

dmcc0

ralphdibny

I just finished Titanfall 2, it was good! I'm a bit tired now though so I'll post some more thoughts in the coming days and I look forward to reading what you all have to say about it!

See ya!

LeanerFasterStronger

@ralphdibny Thanks for the tag! Titanfall 2 is a great pick.

Unfortunately I was busy in February and didn't get a chance to play Blind forest, and I've already played Alan Wake.

Out of those 3, I'd probably go with Perfect Dark.

"Who you are comes from the choices you make when life gets tough."

Cass, Fallout New Vegas
cracked_seal

Thanks for the tag.

February ended up being a crazy month so not much gaming done.

Will keep on with Ori here and there but looking forward to Titanfall again. Already played a bit, got bogged down in trying to get the trophy for the speed run of the tutorial bit. Never did manage it 🙈

cracked_seal

LtSarge

Played through the first level of Titanfall 2 and the gameplay has been really smooth so far. I especially like how satisfying it is to pull off kills with the shotgun since it reloads so fast between each shell so you can literally take out a group of three enemies in like 1-2 seconds. The platforming and wall running is great as well. I just love how the game wants you to go fast and pull off kills in style instead of just shooting enemies in typical fashion like in other military shooters. Controlling the titan is pretty cool so far as well. Can't wait to play more of this game later!

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

@LtSarge I'm playing Fallen Order still and was a pro at the wall running off the bat as it's the same mechanic between the two games...both by respawn.

Krzzystuff

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic