Topic: Finding the right TV for Xbox Series X

Posts 121 to 140 of 197

trev666

LGA1 4k60hz HDMI 2.0 cheapest LGOLED
LGB1 4k120hz HDMI 2.1 on two of the HDMIs
LGC1 4K120hz HDMI2.1 on all 4 HDMIs and brighter

trev666

ralphdibny

@BlueOcean cheers for the rundown. I think I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going to spring for the OLED now. Just need to decide whether I want the LG C1 55inch or the Philips 706 55 inch or 65 inch (55inch model no. Is PHILIPS 55OLED706/12 )

Pros for LG:
It seems like a lot of people have it so if I need help with the settings then it should be easier to find.
I can buy from my preferred retailer (John Lewis) with a 5 year guarantee
Available with 0% credit spread over 18 months. I can afford to buy it outright but my partner and I have been looking for things we can buy with credit/finance so we can improve our credit rating in time to get a mortgage on a house in a year or 2.

Pros for Philips:
£220 cheaper for the same size or £100 more expensive for 65inch
Ambilight, I know it's a gimmick but it would still be pretty cool I think

I just wish somebody had a Philips so I could hear some first hand experience of it.

How's the reflection on your set when viewing in daylight out of interest? Was it the C9 you have? Is it still going strong? Had any issues with it?

@trev666 cheers, that's actually really helpful. I was wondering what the differences were between all the letters considering the A and B are so much cheaper but otherwise look largely similar to the C series!

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny No problem. Yes, the C9 is superb. If you get a bad panel you'll realise in less than 5 years and in less than 2, so the warranty should cover you. The A model is new this year, I think. The B models are a classic now and as @trev666 said, have two HDMI 2.1 ports instead of four but also slower chips, at least in the 2019 lineup. The C models are the sweet spot, they only miss the best speakers and very fancy features and the price is relatively low.

For a while, I could use the TV remote to control the Xbox UI but not anymore, if anyone knows why please let me know!

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@BlueOcean ah that's good to know. It's another reason why I would prefer to go with John Lewis because of their guarantee so they will sort all that stuff out for you if it goes bad. I suspect John Lewis will be a lot easier to deal with than Curry's and potentially Richer Sounds which are a bit of a question mark for me.

I may get their accidental cover too which I think is like £140 for 5 years. Just incase some numbnuts breaks it when they visit lol.

Not sure if there is a site where I can directly compare the features of two different sets from different brands.

I think I got some time to decide anyway. I'll be going down to Curry's tomorrow to hopefully look at these sets in person!

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny The Samsung screens now look so artificial to me! I don't know in the future but right now OLED is the best option in my experience.

Banjo-

trev666

I have a CX and the screen is extremely reflective its like polished glass so thats somthing to be aware of. also burn in is not covered under standard warranty though LG have been known to do one free panel replacement or one for £200. the £140 additional john lewis warrenty does cover burn in and it specificlly staes it does

trev666

ralphdibny

@trev666 oh really, does that affect daytime viewing when the set is actually turned on? Cheers for the heads up!

See ya!

Banjo-

The C9 is also very reflective, the good thing is that the picture is clear and not faded by the plastic layer like on old LCD TVs but you have to put it in a place where there are no windows behind and if there are windows behind you have to shut the blinds depending on the sun.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@BlueOcean ah fair enough, it will be window to the side in my new place. Just the way it will be layed out. Sofa and TV on opposite walls. Perpendicular on one side will be a window and on the opposite side to that is the entrance to the kitchen and a window in there too. I will have blackout curtains too but there is going to be an element of just needing daylight for health reasons 😅

See ya!

Banjo-

@trev666 OK, I thought that the burn-in was always covered by the legal guarantee (2 years)

Banjo-

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I only shut the blind to watch a film or play darker games (Project Zero, Resident Evil...) or just try to play when it's dark and go outside if the sun is shinning beautifully 😎.

Banjo-

trev666

@BlueOcean nope because LG deem it as the user having abused the tv rather than it being defective

trev666

ralphdibny

Welp, I bought an LG C1 55 inch lol.

I went into Curry's and into Richer Sounds. Neither had the Philips on display for us to check out. We did decide that 55 might be too small.

On the way back to the car, I walked into a local AV store and actually saw an old mate from school working there that I haven't seen in like 15 years.

He did me a deal on the 55 inch C1 so I got it for £1050 instead of £1199. Pretty sweet deal and was only £70 more than the 55 inch Philips we were eyeing up. Couldn't turn it down really!!

I've set it up in my bedroom and it's a beast! I guess it will look a lot smaller in the living room once I've moved in with my partner in a month's time 😅

Now I've just gota figure out how to move it without breaking it!!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny Congratulations! Just keep the box and ask your g/bfriend to help you move it. I have moved mine a few times. The screen is super thin.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@BlueOcean cheers buddy, yeah I will! I think it's the thin screen that freaks me out. Just a bit of pressure in the wrong place could snap the thing. Well not the casing but I can imagine the picture itself could crack from internal damage

Cheers for all your help and advice on this and same to @trev666 @SplooshDmg @Nexozi @crippyd and @Magonigal , as well as the rest of the people that started and contributed to this thread prior to my inquiry. You were all a big help!

See ya!

Banjo-

The upcoming C2 will have OLED "Evo" panels in 55" and bigger. The 48" size won't have this premium panel and there will be a new 42" size this year, also without the premium panel. The C2 will apparently be a significant improvement over the already excellent for gaming LG C1. The OLED "Evo" panel was introduced last year for the high-end range of LG. If you are looking for a new TV, you might want to wait for this.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/lg-c2-vs-lg-c1-which-is-th...

Banjo-

themightyant

There’s potentially a new best in class OLED TV. The Samsung S95B QB-OLED is getting rave reviews across the board, especially for gaming. One of the biggest selling points is it is much brighter than current OLEDs, one area they are weaker compared to LCDs.

Rtings has it rated slightly higher for gaming and HDR gaming than the LG OLEDs. In fact it’s their highest rated TV ever in these categories. Rtings review

Vincent Teoh of HDTV test also gives it his highly recommended award and raves about it after the firmware update. HDTV test review

Other renowned outlets also seem to be showering it with praise. Obviously early days and time will tell if there are any issues long term.

Also worth noting like the LGs there are some pros and cons. As such one, other or neither may be better for you based on your setup, but it seems LG finally have some proper competition for OLEDs, albeit it’s currently VERY expensive.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Titntin

Unless you are in a bright room, I'd suggest the LG c1s are pretty decent value for money and give an excellent hdr image with four fully fetured hdmi ports and a good set of gaming features. I use a 48 inch one as one of my pc monitors, and I have a ps5 going into it to. Its hard to fault its performance for those duties, ive been pretty pleased with it.
If your room is a little brighter it would be worth looking at the new oled tech as on the new samsung as this appears to be useful increase in peak brightness and should still allow full impact hdr in brigter conditions. One end of my living room is much brighter and im looking at this tech as my new screen of choice for this.
I'm not sure the increase in peak brightness between lgs c1 and c2 make it worthwhile to be honest so I caution some testing before paying too much extra for one.

My gut instinct is that qd oled is the way to go for the future, though im hearing sumsung have managed to cut manufacturing costs further, so im waiting another year to see that benefit and let the technology bed in. I will also be considering Sonys qd oled offering as traditionally Ive preferred their motion prcessing. They are all miles better than tvs were just a few years back...

Titntin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic