Forums

Topic: Finding the right TV for Xbox Series X

Posts 101 to 120 of 195

ThanosReXXX

@Xiovanni You might want to invest in one of these devices, to connect your retro consoles to a modern TV, and still get a good and/or correctly upscaled picture out of them:

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Suppo...

Alternatively, you could also go for one of these:

There's also other, more high end solutions, such as the EON GCHD Adapter, or the Carby HDMI adapter, if you don't have a problem with spending a bit more money on something like this.

And if you have any consoles on component cable, such as the GameCube or Wii, then this is also a good upscaler:
https://www.amazon.com/Component-Coverter-NEWCARE-Converter-S...
I'll also post the link to a good component cable, just in case:
https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Component-Cable-Definition-Nint...

As for the screen: I'd personally advice against the nano, because of it's lower performance in gaming compared to LG's more dedicated gaming screens. Look for any LG screen in the B, C or CX range instead, those are specifically tailored to gaming, with really low latency, gaming modes and various other relevant options.

EDIT:
Mind you, not saying that the Nano is bad by default, just not AS good as the other screens in the higher end range that LG offers. So, ultimately, I guess it all depends on your budget and/or what you want to spend on it, and how much details matter to you. For the average gamer it's probably good enough.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Xbox Gamertag: ThanosReXXX

MaccaMUFC

Anyone who’s still thinking about getting a new TV to go with their brand new next-gen console may want to hold off until Samsung release their Neo QLED range. The range starting from Q70A will be using mini-LED, this is not to be confused with MicroLED which is still far from making it to mainstream TVs, it apparently produces deep blacks on level with OLEDs while still having better brightness levels. It also has some features dedicated to gaming, there’s more info on that here https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-brings-the-ultimate-g...

I’m not looking to upgrade my TV until the summer but I definitely want to go bigger this time at 65” and with this new 2021 Neo range I’m expecting it to be way higher than my budget of £2,500 especially when I’d want the flagship model with the One Connect box which will most likely be the Q95A. For the 65” I’d guess it would be priced at around at least £4,000. If that was the case then I’d probably be looking at getting either the Q95T or the Q800T if they are not discontinued by the summer.

The wait goes on for MicroLED TVs then which is being touted as an OLED killer by producing the same black levels and picture quality but better brightness levels and most importantly with no risk of burn-in whatsoever and no worry about the display degrading over time. It will basically make OLEDs obsolete.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

JGRockford

Sounds good.
And that should lower the prices of existing 2020 TVs.

I was on a budget, but wanted to move away from my LG 42" 1080, non-smart, non-HDR TV .
Picked up a 50" Samsung TU8000. While it's not 120Hz, it does have most other features that my older TV didn't, at a pretty low cost.

Definitely worth considering if you're on a tight budget.

JGRockford

MaccaMUFC

I’ve been looking for news on Samsung’s new Neo QLED TVs for weeks and there’s been some useful info recently. I initially thought even the entry-level model was going to be out of my budget but it seems the flagship 4K model the QN95A will be reasonably priced going by the US price which is $2,600 for the 65” QN90A without the One Connect box. So in the U.K it should be about £2,400 with the One Connect box.

If the 65” QN95A is indeed £2,400 then that’s the tv I’ll definitely be going for. I’ve read that the One Connect box has 4x HDMI 2.1 ports, has 792 dimming zones, the black levels are supposedly OLED-like and so many features for gaming. Only downside is there’s no Dolby Vision and no Atmos. The lack of Atmos isn’t a problem for me as I’ve pre-ordered the new Xbox Wireless Headset but as for Dolby Vision I’ve not experienced it so I don’t know if I’m missing out on anything. I’m really looking forward to this tv and learning more about it when it reviews.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC I'm really interested in the QN95A too but waiting for actual reviews and conformation on specs. I wouldn't buy until the latter half of the year anyway as the prices drop later. Its not surprising as the TV is almost out of date by then as manufacturers are preparing to show off their 'new' range at the beginning of the new year.

As for Dolby Vision, NOBODY actually needs it. I know I see and hear criticism for Samsung for not offering it BUT the reality is, if you do not have a Dolby Vision Display, ALL Dolby Vision content will revert to HDR 10. DV is 'like' an extra layer on top of HDR 10 that gets discarded if your display cannot use it. DV's biggest benefit is to TV's with the most 'limited' HDR range to try and get the maximum impact for HDR.

If a film is mastered to 1000nits for example, A TV that hits 1500nits (or more) can display the 'full' range so Dynamic Metadata does NOTHING. If you have a 500 nit TV though, Static Metadata could, for example, display up to 150nits at 1:1 then 'compress' 150-1000nits into 150-500 nits so a scene that peaks at say 500nits is only being displayed at say 350 nits. Dynamic Metadata would tell the TV that the scene 'peaks' at 500nits so can display the whole scene at 1:1. That means the content isn't 'consistent' and I'd rather have a 1500nit TV without DV than a 500nit TV with it. A 500nit TV displaying DV will NOT have the impact of a 1500nit TV reverting to HDR 10. A whole Film can be displayed at 1:1 - exactly as intended. It may only be 'Static' Metadata, but that Metadata would tell the TV that no tone mapping is necessary where as the 500nit TV would be utilising Tone Mapping to 'fit' that range in its much more limited space. If a TV could hit 4000 (or even 10000nits), Dynamic Metadata and Static Metadata should look exactly the same because the TV would display ALL the content as it was meant to be - no Tone Mapping down would be needed. In Static Metadata, if say 500nits is being displayed at 350nits, every thing that was mastered to be 500 nits will consistently be 350 nit. With Dynamic Metadata, things mastered to be 500nits could be displayed at any brightness from 350-500nits - depending on whether its the 'brightest' point in the scene or not - the Tone Mapping will change. Like I said, if your TV is bright enough, Static Metadata would tell the TV that it has the 'range' to display the content without the need to tone map so 500nit areas will always be 500nits.

The one other 'benefit' to DV is the fact that the Colours are 12bit. However, right now, the Panels are at best just 10bit, where as some are still only 8bit - Although 8bit + FRC which 'simulate' the extra colour depth by flashing two colours very fast to create the impression of the colour. 8bit has 256 values of Red, 256 values of Green and 256 values of Blue compared to 1024 with 10bit. The benefit of 12bit is even better gradients but like I said, we don't yet have any 12bit panels so the benefits of 12bit DV is 'small'

Dynamic Metadata is more 'valuable' IF you are buying a TV with much more limited HDR range as it helps adjust the tone mapping algorithm on a scene by scene basis instead of mapping the whole movie consistently to the same algorithm. A TV with a greater Range benefits less because there is 'less' tone mapping overall and as Dolby Vision is essentially an extra layer on top of HDR10, you are not missing out on HDR content by not having Dolby Vision.

Not trying to tell people that Dolby Vision is pointless or not worth getting at all under any circumstance, but that its benefits may not be worth sacrificing the right TV choice for you. The purpose was to offer information so that people can make a more informed choice. Its not like buying an Xbox or Playstation where some content will only be on one platform. If you don't buy a TV with Dolby Vision you are NOT going to miss out on watching the SAME content in HDR, you will get Static Metadata HDR10 - but that could still be more impactful than watching it in DV on a DV enabled TV - have more content displayed without tone mapping it down. The benefits of Dynamic Metadata increase, the 'worse' the HDR range is of a TV and could be completely redundant if you buy a TV that matches or even exceeds the HDR range of that content. If you have a TV that doesn't need to tone map down, regardless of the Metadata, its still going to be displayed the same. The Metadata will tell the TV at the start that no tone mapping is necessary and Dynamic Metadata will tell the TV the same on a Scene by Scene basis so the end result is the same. Long Term, DV does offer 12bit too so its still offers 'something' when dynamic metadata adds little/nothing but right now, a LOT of panels are not even true 10bit.

When looking at TV's, I would factor in Dolby Vision more, the lower the Range of the TV. Any TV that cannot hit 1000nits is going to be tone mapping as 1000nits is 'generally' the minimum that content will be mastered too (not saying that scenes won't peak out at lower - but that is the minimum max peak brightness that content could peak at). Therefore, it may make more sense to factor in Dynamic Metadata HDR to maximise its impact - unnecessary if the TV doesn't need to tone map...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

MaccaMUFC

After over a year of starting this thread and going back and forth constantly changing my mind which tv to get in a few weeks time, I’ve finally decided it’s down to three Samsung models. 75” Q80T (£1,499), 65” Q90T (£1,399) or 65” Q800T (£1,599).

My initial budget of £2,500 has been drastically lowered to £1,500 (I can stretch for the Q800T for an extra £100) and I really wanted one of the new Neo QLED models but with the cheapest 65” being £2,199 it’s way over my current budget. I was seriously considering the 65” LG CX for ages as well until I thought about my current TV usage and the CX is just out of the question too due to the amount of content I watch like sports, games I play with lots of static HUDs and the fact my family constantly pausing the tv for long periods, I could just do without the stress and anxiety it’d cause.

I’ve been humming and harring between the Q80T and Q90T lately and the Q90T is the better TV overall with its better contrast, higher peak brightness and double the amount of local dimming zones but are they really worth it over the extra 10” I’d get with the 75” Q80T? I thought I’d throw the Q800T into the mix because it has 384 more local dimming zones than the Q90T and the fact that it’s future-proof with 8K despite the lack of 8K content right now.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

ralphdibny

I read through this whole thread yesterday because I want to buy a new TV in Black Friday as I am moving in with my partner in a few weeks and we will need a TV for the living room.

What TVs do people have at the moment? What should I be looking for if I want to future proof it for Series X and PS5?

So far I've got...

HDR
Dolby Vision
VRR
HDMI 2.1
120Hz

Are there any other features I should be looking out for?

@BlueOcean has helpfully pointed me in the direction of the LG C1 but are there any other brands or models that are decent and have all the features?

Are there any features that I possibly don't actually need like 120hz and HDMI 2.1 that would drastically cut the price of the TV? Outside of Black Friday the LG C1 55inch sits at around £1300 for a 55inch but it looks like there are a bunch of Hisense TV sets that are less than half that price but are 60Hz hdmi 2.0 but still look like they have all the other features. I'm just sort of wondering if it's worth £800 extra just for 120hz or am I missing something

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Magonigal

@ralphdibny

I recently got the LG 55NANO866NA 55 inch 4K TV from Amazon which has all the features you're looking for and i'm really pleased with it. It was £559 in the last sale so may be reduced again for Black Friday and I think it's one of the cheapest HDMI 2.1 sets you can get

Magonigal

crippyd

@ralphdibny
I've got a Samsung 65" set (UE65MU7000T) that I got about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago and it is great. They are certainly a brand that I wouldn't hesitate to buy again and if you look at things like What Hi-Fi? you can find some good comparrison tests and the like.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

Nexozi

@ralphdibny I got an LG CX last year and its amazing. I have both the series X and PS5 hooked up to it. Would highly recommend it or the C1. Though have heard the C1s peak brightness isn't as high as the CX. Though just be aware that OLD TVs are best experienced in dark rooms. In a dark room it looks like the screen is floating.

Nexozi

ralphdibny

I should probably add that I watch a fair amount of old TV that has black bars on either side.

I'd also be looking for a TV with a wide and preferably tall viewing angle/field of view so you can see it whether you are sitting well below it, standing well above or to either side of it sort of thing

@Magonigal Oh right!! I do wonder why a C1 is so much more expensive despite having the same features. Is an OLED screen really worth £500 more? I'll be looking at the NANO and putting it up for comparison with other sets when I get a chance. Cheers for the heads up!

@crippyd nice, I'll have a look at that What Hi-Fi?. It's so hard to tell with these comparison sites because if you just Google TV comparison then you'll get a bunch of sponsored content lists and paid ads. But I'll check what hi fi? for sure if you reckon it's a reputable one. Cheers

@Nexozi I'm not sure what will be my main time of day for TV use. I know we will have blackout curtains though so should be ok whatever we get. Sometimes you just need a bit of Vitamin D though even at the cost of screen visibility 😅

Cool though, cheers. I'm just trying to work out if the C series is worth the notable uplift over other televisions. It's just so hard to decide!

See ya!

Nexozi

@ralphdibny
We don't get much sun where I'm from. 😂 Have a look on reddit for reviews and general issues and things. 4kTV has a bot that posts a link to the following when anyone mentions an LG nanocell:

Kinda harsh 😂

Nexozi

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg ahh nice, how's it fair in dark and light conditions? A colleague at work is selling me on black blacks on screens and I was guessing that's why people love OLEDs so much. Really interested to know how images look on a non-oled under different conditions

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Nexozi ah fair enough, bit confusing that that's all about a $2000 8K screen when the NANO s I've looked at are all like under £800 and are 4K and have all the features. I could be getting mixed up, all the model numbers are a bit confusing!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg haha nice, good stuff. Yeah it seems like OLED is going to be twice the price. Have you ever done that thing on the Xbox where it tells you what features your TV is capable of? Were there any boxes that didn't tick?

I'm kind of tempted by an OLED. I've seen a Philips one with all the bells and whistles for under a grand. I'm also curious about this LG B1, looks like it does the same stuff as the C1 but it's cheaper 🤷‍♂️

See ya!

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg I'm sort of on the fence about budget to be honest. Based on my initial expectation of a C1 costing £1300 I was kind of just expecting to spend that much. But now I've had a look at the different sets available, I've just wondered whether I actually need to spend that much ya know?

I'd rather spend less money but I'm sort of up for spending more if it's legitimately going to be worth it. But I have no experience with these TVs so I can't know!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg yeah for sure. I'm basically the same. There is a difference between doing the job well and doing the job amazingly and I just have to choose which one I'm going to go for 😅. Of course there are TVs that are not even doing the job at all but they are not in consideration (except maybe some that lack 120Hz/HDMI 2.1).

It's good to have the kind of non-videophile perspective too so I appreciate it. There's a lot to consider here but I've got some food for thought and I've got a few sets earmarked that I can do a bit of research and comparison on. I think I'm going to go to Curry's at the weekend and check out some sets in person and I may go round my mates and check out his LG CX series TV.

Honestly though, if I spent 1300 quid on a TV, I'd be looking at and expecting a 10+ year lifespan. The set has got to last that long and also be good enough to withstand future technological advancements. For 600 quid, I'd be less bothered about upgrading again in 5 years time ya know?

See ya!

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg yeah that's it really and there are a ton of features that have been added since I last bought a TV that I could honestly do without. I don't need it to be "smart" in any way and I certainly don't need adverts in the menus which sadly I don't think I can avoid now. I'm sure the human eye caps the amount of resolution and frame rate we can perceive too and I'm sure the 8K sets actually make good on the "higher definition than real life" Futurama joke!

I'll probably change my mind but I am leaning toward an OLED now but which one? I could spend 1200 on the recommended LG C1 at 55 inch or get a similarly specced Philips TV for 1300 at 65 inch!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@SplooshDmg haha but then if I stick with 55inches, the question becomes do I spend 970 on the Philips or 1200 on the LG 😂.

I will do a bit of research and try and work something out. Philips is a bit of a random name/blast from the past really. I had a 2 gig MP3 player from them back when I was at school, kind of in the early iPod era. I mean, the thing still bloody works but I doubt I'd get the software it came with to work on any operating system beyond Windows 2000 😂. I'm sure it's got a random eclectic selection of Eminem and Dr Dre albums still on it still!!

Yeah definitely no chicken strips for me 😅. That KFConsole is ridiculous, who could possibly want their entertainment centre to smell like chicken lol. One good thing about the last couple of years is that I've gotten used to using hand sanitizer more frequently which also keeps my controllers nice and clean too!

I actually really wouldn't mind buying an older 4K set that also had 3D. I'd give up the rest of the modern stuff if I could find a TV in good condition for about £100 that had both 4K and 3D too

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

ralphdibny wrote:

@BlueOcean has helpfully pointed me in the direction of the LG C1 but are there any other brands or models that are decent and have all the features?

Are there any features that I possibly don't actually need like 120hz and HDMI 2.1 that would drastically cut the price of the TV? Outside of Black Friday the LG C1 55inch sits at around £1300 for a 55inch but it looks like there are a bunch of Hisense TV sets that are less than half that price but are 60Hz hdmi 2.0 but still look like they have all the other features. I'm just sort of wondering if it's worth £800 extra just for 120hz or am I missing something

1. HDMI 2.1
Since the C9 (2019), all LG OLED TVs have four HDMI 2.1 ports, specifically models C, E, W... I'm not sure about the B models which are the cheapest and cut some features. This means that the C9, CX and C1 (and superior models) have true HDMI 2.1 and nothing else. Some brands say they have HDMI 2.1 features but it's not really HDMI 2.1 or have just one 2.1 port. Why is important HDMI 2.1? Because you get 4K120Hz gaming and support for variable refresh rates. It was important in 2019 because of Xbox One X, now it's essential if you are buying a new TV because of Series X/S and PS5. LG supports Dolby Vision on top of this. Dolby Vision is better than HDR10, quite better in my experience. In short, LG OLED is the full package.

2. QUALITY
When choosing a TV is not important just the numbers but the quality. Many TVs have HDR but is that HDR any good? Even LG has LCD TVs that have very poor HDR (I have one in the bedroom). The same brand makes the best OLED TVs according to Digital Foundry and many other websites. That's why websites make rankings of best TVs each year. In short, the best choice now is CX or C1. The superior models (E) present better speakers. There are some (W) that are rollable or whatever.

3. LCD/QLED (QLED is Samsung's LCD) vs. OLED
OLED has not only perfect blacks like most people say but perfect contrast and more natural colours that help you get immersed in the picture and, of course, better view angles, if that matters. The OLED technology has better HDR because of this, it's not as bright as LCD/QLED but who wants a brighter screen if you have to turn the maximum HDR brightness down? The only disadvantage of OLED is the risk of burn-in which is covered by the warranty, 2 years by law, 5 years for the most expensive 2021 LG models in your region.

4. INPUT
The combination of Xbox Speed Architecture that includes input lag reduction and the LG game mode is perfect.

5. OLD STUFF
I have played Wii U, SNES Classic and old DVDs (24fps) on my C9 and they all look great.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic