Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Posts 181 to 200 of 309

RR529

@HarmanSmith, eh, the people saying "this & that" points to a Switch successor/"pro" have been doing so constantly for the past 2 or 3 years at this point & are just talking out their bums.

I certainly don't doubt we'll get one at some point sooner than later (the thing IS 6 years old this year after all), but I wouldn't say there are any clues you can point to in their release lineup to make the case that it's imminent.

The exclusive release schedule is full through the summer (FE Engage, MP Remaster, Kirby, Bayonetta Origins, Advance Wars, Zelda, & Pikmin 4), & Zelda probably would have been delayed to the holidays if the successor was supposed to launch later in the year (as the showpiece game) or if there wasn't at least one other "big" game to carry the Switch during the holidays. I doubt the Prime remaster would have been shadow dropped (in a month that already has another exclusive release, in Kirby) if they thought they were going to be skating on thin ice the rest of the year either.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HarmanSmith

@RR529 Yeah, you're right!

In fact, it will be interesting to see what they have planned for the second half of the year, seeing that there will be no "new hardware" to speak of (and all for the best, IMO, because my Switch backlog is stacked!). For me, the later we get new hardware, the better.

And as a sidenote, I would think the NSO will be in whatever new console. Nintendo have been slowly building the service, right, but they are working on it nevertheless so I hope it stays for a long time! It is a flawed service, yes, but the idea is there.

HarmanSmith

Xbox Gamertag: GarcianSmith

RR529

Decided not to wait to see when any of the online retailers would get more MP: Remastered stock in, so I went ahead & bought it digitally.

I've retrieved the missile & morph ball upgrades so far. All the places that have opened up to me are too hot to explore, so I'm gonna go back to the starting area to see if there's another path to take.

My first time playing it (or any of the Prime games really), and at first I thought the formula would be too overwhelming in 3D, but I think I'm starting to get to grips with it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Banjo-

@RR529 I already have it on GameCube and Wii so I'll skip it. I watched the Digital Foundry video and although I think that it's a beautiful remaster, I'm disappointed with the resolution and with Switch in general, in spite of or because I have one.

Banjo-

Tasuki

Downloaded and played through the Kirby's Return to Dreamland Demo tonight. I never got around to playing this game on the Wii so I can't compare it to that, but as a Kirby game it was really solid. I had alot of fun with it and yeah it was a bit on the easy side, but then again Kirby games tend to be. If Kirby and the Forgotten Land was your first Kirby game ever, this one may surprise you as it's a more 2D Platformer.

As for someone who's played the older Kirby games this one is definitely one of the best 2D ones I played.

Will be picking up the full game here soon.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Balta666

@Tasuki forgotten land was both my first Kirby game (apart from some bits back in the day on game Boy) and my favourite from last year but still I am not compeled to buy 2d kirby (I have tried the demo) as I feel the game shines as a 3d adventure and it gets fairly challenging in the end game. The 2d version is kind of basic imo

Edited on by Balta666

Tasuki

@Balta666 I can understand that especially since Kirby has always meant to be a beginner's game. As for whether the game is better as a 3D game or 2D that's going to all be a matter of opinion like are 3D Mario games better then 2D.

For what it is worth, I enjoyed Kirby and the Forgotten World and Kirby translated well from 2D to 3D but for me I will always enjoy 2D games more because that's where I started gaming at. Don't get me wrong, I have played some great 3D games and a few 3D games I couldn't see becoming 2D games. But as far as Kirby goes I will always enjoy the 2D games more.

My Backlog

Balta666

@Tasuki well I adore 3d Mario and would not pay 5cents to play 2d Mario . That is not to say I don't like 2d games as I prefer them for metroidvanias and other series like Sonic or Donkey Kong. Also a few indies that I adore like Celeste, shovel Knight and the Messenger.

I also started my journey with 2d platformers but I would say the first game that blew my mind was Super Mario 64 (the first 10/10 ever made in my book)

Edited on by Balta666

Tasuki

@Balta666 Yeah I don't know why but I just can't get into 3D Mario games. I enjoy games like Spyro, Crash and others like it but Mario games I just can't do. I just found Super Mario 64 boring and dull, and while I enjoyed Odyssey I just got bored after the 3rd world I would say. I find the NSMB series more enjoyable. Although I did like Super Mario 3D World and Land.

My Backlog

RR529

Yeah, I'll definitely be picking up Kirby, but not until I finish Prime Remastered (just beat this big rock monster & obtained the "spider ball" upgrade).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

NintendoByNature

Kirbys arriving today for me, and prime on the 13th.

NintendoByNature

Gamer83

@Tasuki
Aside from the perspective you play them at, 3D Land and World definitely have more 2D Mario dna in them. I like Odyssey a lot but given the choice I'd much rather play 3D World and would prefer the next 3D Mario outing to be something similar to that or, even better, a return of the Galaxy series which also has more of that 2D style feel to it.

Gamer83

Tasuki

@Gamer83 Right, that's probably why I prefer the Land and World games. I have never played the Galaxy games so I cannot comment on those. I still need to play Bowser's Fury as well.

My Backlog

NoblePanda78

With Animal Crossing: New Horizons celebrating its three-year anniversary I decided to give island life one more go. All of my other islands were hot garbage, but I'm really going to do my best to make my latest attempt, Peachwood, something truly special.

Been playing for a week w/ no time travelling. Resident Services will be open tomorrow, and hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to hit a 3-star rating and unlock terraforming. Then the REAL work begins: flattening everything so I'll have a blank canvas to work with. Already got the general theme picked out, now I gotta start working on acquiring the necessary items, or at least getting them registered to my catalog.

"And that's how Equestria was made!"-Pinke Pie

RR529

Finally finished Prime Remastered up tonight! Final boss was tough, but luckily I managed to beat it my first time (glad too, as it's long winded enough that it probably would have been more demoralizing to have to retry rather than being a "just one more try" type of feeling). Anyhow, I cleared it with an 88% completion.

Overall I think I prefer the (newer) 2D games with how they've been evolving to have a quick paced action feel rather than the more strategic angle this has (what with the more puzzle like combat requiring you to swap visors & beams), but I can totally understand why it has the reputation it does. It's quite frankly amazing how they pretty much nailed the transition to 3D on the first go, especially since Super is arguably really the only solid example of the formula to release before it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

NintendoByNature

I just realized past TotK, Pikmin 4, and Prime 4, there's not much to look forward to on switch. I can only think of a handful of switch games I'm excited for. Kind of concerning.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic