dmcc0

My Switch Review Stats:

24 Games (Down from 37 last year)
201 Hours (Down from 745 last year!)
64 in XC:DE, 35 in Picross S2, 32 in Paper Mario: Origami King
19% Docked / 81% Portable

dmcc0

RR529

Nothing that looked too interesting in the Indie World, which is the same way I felt about TGA (but hey, at least this wasn't over 3 hours long!).

Guess my tastes are just in a sort of middle ground between the two extremes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NEStalgia

I too showed just under 300h on Switch this year, and almost 700h the year before. 1% docked which is solely from it turning on momentarily when docking it to charge, lol. The main difference, of course is XSX and PS5 arrived....it really did take a lot of enthusiasm away from Switch. Plus lack of Nintendo games this year. I'm not digging SMTV as much as I thought I would. I LOOVE SMT, but this one is just kind of not doing it for me yet. IDK why. But Rune Factory 5 will probably be my obsession when it releases.

You know your console is underused when Ace Attorney is your #1 game in hours, by far.

NEStalgia

RR529

Finished up Shin Megami Tensei V last night!

I really enjoyed the huge Xenoblade-esque explorable areas (despite the overall high difficulty, especially when you first enter an area, adding a lot of tension, it really is designed in such a way that you're compelled to see if you can clear that next abscess, nab that treasure, or otherwise get to the next point of interest, that makes the loop of exploration fun), and while I'm not sure I'd like it for every JRPG, having to essentially upend your party every few hours could make for some interesting decisions (and feels good when you build your team in just the right way to completely null a boss' efforts), and reading the lore behind the myriad of theological/mythological beings in the game was cool.

I do wish it had a bit more environmental variety though (as much as a post apocalyptic Tokyo is a unique setting for a JRPG, it kinda loses a bit of it's luster when all 4 of the game's large environments share it, although the occasional landmark or other element can shake things up), and I wasn't big on the dungeons (there aren't that many of them, so they're not a big part of the game, but they feature this old school mazelike design of samey corridors), but overall small nitpicks in an otherwise great time.

Unless something else is announced between now & then (which is entirely possible), I think this is the last Switch game of interest for me until Kirby releases.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Balta666

@RR529 I did not pick up smt v because I played nocturne earlier in the year (my first time into the series) and everything you saying about this game it could be said about this previous entry (bar the dungeons number that are a lot and very long in nocturne). Also what I like the most in jrpg is to be invested in the grand story and characters but the fact the protagonist is bland and the teammates are expendable are big Nos in my book (bear in mind I still played the game for 60h but in the end got bored and did not finish it)

Edited on by Balta666

RR529

Direct predictions & wishes time.

What I think we'll see:

• new Kirby trailer
  • new Advance Wars trailer/release date
  • new Mario + Rabbids 2 trailer/release date
  • new Splatoon 3 trailer/release date

What I want to see:

• Xenoblade 3 reveal (or new Monolith IP)
  • new Famicom Detective Club (done in the same style as the remakes)
  • reveal of that Goemon like IP Good Feel is supposed to be making
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot
  • the rumored Donkey Kong game
  • western release of Megaton Musashi

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

It was a great Direct. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 looks gorgeous. They touched on several of their upcoming announced exclusives. The remakes of classic Square-Enix games are cool. MK8 DLC felt like it should have been announced years ago, but better late than never, I guess.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LtSarge

@Balta666 What were some of your highlights from the Direct?

LtSarge

Banjo-

I'm a bit worried about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe late DLC, it looks rough compared to the original DLC on Wii U. I don't know if they will be using the Mario Tour retro tracks.

Banjo-

Raffles

@Banjo- Exactly what I thought, I was surprised actually, the quality doesn't seem up to par especially given quite how good MK8 Deluxe looks, for a Switch game it's graphically superb and pixel perfect really.

I wonder why, rush job? Too busy making Mario Kart 9 to put much effort in?

Raffles

ralphdibny

@Banjo- I'm just worried that I'll actually have to buy the game again on Switch 😅. I thought I didn't need it because I already have it on Wii U with the DLC and am not too fussed about the Splatoon characters.

I kinda wish this Booster Pack was a separate release or that a Complete physical edition comes out at some point. Really excited to play some of the Tour tracks on the big screen and with a proper controller though. The real world themes for the tracks in that game look so cool but I just can't bring myself to get into another freemium game having kicked my AC Pocket Camp and Simpsons tapped out addictions many years ago

See ya!

Raffles

@Balta666 Agreed too. Mario Odyssey is one of my absolute favourite games since Mario 64, and this Kirby does look enticingly similar, but with some of its own charm too.

Definitely looking forward to Kirby more than any other Switch game on the horizon, well until Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2

Raffles

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I see that appeal, playing the Mario Kart Tour circuits with a controller but, at the same time, Choco Mountain doesn't look good (it's one of my favourite circuits ever) and it was featured in Mario Kart Tour before. The trailer doesn't look great. I also have this game on Wii U with the DLC, so I know what you mean... but I pre-ordered it.

Nintendo is a bad platform in regard to almost everything, including digital rights so I only buy very few Nintendo games these days. It helps that I don't like every Nintendo game and that I also have a Wii U and Switch has basically recycled the Wii U library, that spawned more good Nintendo games, anyway. Xbox is much better, free backwards compatibility, free remasters, no worries at all... Nintendo is the opposite, abuse, concerns... Nintendo is not as friendly as we thought when we were innocent. Oh and my favourite characters in Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 DX are the Koopalings so not fussed about inklings either!

@Raffles Yep, the trailer doesn't look good at all. The graphics look rough and the environments simple and rushed. Does Choco Mountain deserve this? The original N64 version looks better!

EDIT: For the record, I'm a Mario Kart fan since Super Mario Kart and the best one is Double Dash! If only it had more circuits... And I actually think that Mario Kart 8's driving is the most boring in the series, excluding Mario Kart Tour, of course!

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- fair enough, I didn't really notice the graphics because I was bamboozled by both the announcement itself and also the amount of tracks they are adding. I haven't gone back and watched it again though. I always thought that the original MK8 DLC was good value because of the amount of content added for the price. Same here too. Unfortunately I may be missing out for some time due to the barrier for entry to accessing the DLC (double dipping on MK8), the fact I may double dip on both buying the DLC and eventually the NSO expansion pack and also the drip feed of content.

Unfortunately I buy a lot of games for Switch but never get time to actually play them 😅. Playing games on Game Pass takes up most of my admittedly little spare time to be honest because of the time limits on those games. For Switch though, I'd still like to buy (and eventually play one day) Pokémon Legends, Pokémon Snap, Astral Chain and eventually MK Live once it gets a steeeep price drop. Coming up from the direct, I am probably most interested in Advance Wars, Klonoa and possibly Portal even though I already own both games elsewhere.

I've also got similar feelings about the MK games as you, fan since Super (unfortunately skipped 64 because I had a PSX at the time) but it's hard for me to choose between Double Dash and Wii as my favourite. DD has a pure experience but Wii has so much content to unlock and I had an absolute blast 100%ing it back in the day. I've been playing a bit of DS on the Wii U VC too and I have to say that it's pretty amazing playing that game blown up on a 55inch OLEd screen 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@Balta666 I'm excited for those games as well! Kirby is looking to be a mix of Super Mario 3D World in terms of level design and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of powers. Could be the most refreshing Kirby game we've gotten in a long time.

Still need to get into the Xenoblade series but I have both games on Switch, ready to be fired up. I just need to find myself in the right mood. But yeah, Xenoblade 3 is looking very good.

On a side note, this could quite possibly be the best year in gaming since 2017. Lots of great Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox titles coming out this year!

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic