Forums

Topic: What are you watching?

Posts 261 to 275 of 275

Tasuki

The Batman on HBO Max. Not the worst Batman movie but not the best.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

RR529

American Crime Story: Impeachment - Dramatization of the events surrounding the Clinton impeachment scandal. Only have one episode left, and it's been thoroughly interesting & excellent so far.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Almost done with this one as well. Watched this shortly after it originally released nearly 10 years ago, and it's been just as interesting revisiting it today. The CGI still largely hold up as well (though there's a segment on photosynthesis which has CGI that looks 10-15 years behind everything else in the show for whatever reason), which is pretty impressive given that it was originally a network TV special.

Also was treated to a ReBoot marathon while I was poking around Pluto TV this morning. It looks positively ancient by today's standards, but it was fun revisiting a show I liked as a kid for a few hours. For whatever reason it was on the "TokuShoutSu" channel, which usually only shows stuff like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, & old Godzilla movies, of which I'm not sure how it relates, but it was a fun time nonetheless.

Also have watched a bunch of movies over the past few months (Encanto, some X Men films, Turning Red, Free Guy, etc.), of which I've posted of in more detail in the dedicated movie thread.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Magic User's Club - Anime series revolving around the relationships of group of Japanese high schoolers as they practice sorcery with the help of an ancient tome found in a cave... which also happens to bring them to the attention of the occupying alien overlords who have so far thwarted all resistance from the world's militaries.

I thought it was pretty cute. It actually consists of a 6 episode OVA series followed by a 13 episode TV series, and of the two I prefer the former. The TV series (despite tying up some loose ends in the first episode) completely drops the sci-fi element, and changes focus almost entirely to the slice of life relationship element (there is a mystery revolving around, an obviously supernaturally related, new student, though I had the truth figured out pretty early on).

Again, it's pretty cute throughout, though I lament the excising of the OVA's sci-fi element (which I thought brought a nice contrast to the magic). Just be aware of typical anime tropes if you decide to watch it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Moon Knight last night.

It had it's moments (and I thought episode 5 in particular was interesting), but overall I think it's the weakest Disney+ exclusive yet (between the Marvel & Star Wars stuff). The blackout segments were fun at first (and I really did like the car chase scene early on in the series), but I wasn't a fan as they went on (especially since they used one to skip over how he got the upper hand in the final fight, even though I knew what twist they were foreshadowing), other times it was so dark I could barely see what was going on (especially during the episode in the tomb), and I was really disappointed that after how relatively little we saw him suit up (and with how personal the conflict between Khonsu & Ammit is) that the final fight wasn't a one on one (multiple personalities notwithstanding), and that they insisted on introducing another hero last second to take part (by all means introduce them, but maybe wait until season 2). I don't really mind the "Are you an Egyptian Superhero!?" bit, other than the fact that it wasn't directed at the titular Egyptian themed superhero. Also, entities that regular people can't see (outside of outright ghosts) are a bit of a pet peeve of mine for whatever reason, so I didn't care for the bits with the invisible Jackals (or whatever they're supposed to be).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Goku: Midnight Eye - Two episode OVA series that follows a private investigator named Goku (not THAT Goku) as he takes on criminals outside the reach of the law in the cyberpunk dystopia of Tokyo... in 2014. Aiding him in his quest are a cybernetic eye that gives him control of every computer system on the planet, and an extendable staff that shoots lasers.

It doesn't have much of an overarching narrative (each episode is largely standalone, and how he got the eye/staff is a mystery even to the protag), but it's worth checking out if a gritty sci-fi anime with gratuitous violence/nudity that wears it's Blade Runner/Mad Max inspirations on it's sleeve floats your boat (just be aware that it's still in SD). Free on Tubi.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up season 1 of the Man in the High Castle last night.

Really interesting alternate history drama overall, though it looks like they may be going a bit more fantastical with it than I had imagined going in, with a character seemingly travelling to the "real world" from their reality in the last moments of the final episode. Though I guess it's not that surprising given the existence of the tapes. Looking forward to see where it goes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

PhhhCough

Rewatching season 1 and 2 of the Orville. Season 3 is coming early june.

PhhhCough

Royalblues

Young Justice. DC has the best stable of fictional characters of all time, in my opinion, and in my opinion, this is the best utilization of those characters we've ever had. So many aspects of the DC Universe converge here so well. And my goodness, the House of Zod is evil. I love it. Shame this season is almost done. I'll have a hollowness in my weekly routine that I'll have to compensate for when it's over.

Royalblues

RR529

Finished up City Hunter (well, the 51 episode first season anyways). Excellent.

80's anime series that follows Ryo Saeba, the "City Hunter" (essentially a gun for hire who takes on jobs the law either can't or won't). While there are plenty of episodes that play it pretty straight (and a handful are dead serious), there are a good amount that find him in more humorous situations as well (and there trends to be some humor in the more straight laced episodes too). Granted, most of the humor centers around Ryo being an unrepentant womanizer (although he's often foiled by his assistant Kaori, who often bashes him with a giant mallet in such situations, even if his only crime is making her jealous).

Really the only thing in a similar headspace that I can think of are the older Lupin III series (like those, it doesn't have much of an overarching narrative, rather each episode tends to be it's own adventure), though I'm actually certain I prefer this (despite growing up with Lupin III Part 2 on Adult Swim). While it does have it's share of gags, it doesn't seem to get AS zany as Lupin can (both in terms of situation & character design), with some surprisingly good attention to detail when it comes to vehicles & firearms which is cool.

Currently free on Retro Crush.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up IRIA: Zeiram the Animation earlier today. Sci-fi anime OVA miniseries that follows Iria, a bounty hunter of sorts whom, after being sent on a mission to rescue the crew & cargo of a ship that has sent out a distress signal, gets caught up in an entanglement involving a deadly & nearly indestructible alien presence & a company conspiracy to hide it.

Clearly it's base elements are inspired by Alien, but it does a lot to set itself apart, whether it be the aesthetic that mixes in a lot of traditional Japanese or otherwise Asian design with the deep space sci-fi stuff (kinda like Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, & Photon, it's a vibe I've noticed a lot of 90's sci-fi anime fall under), the "alien's" largely unique appearance/skill set, & ultimately a more personal connection between Iria & her foe.

It can be watched free on Retro Crush & Tubi (at least in the US), so check it out if it sounds like it floats your boat.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up season 2 of the Man in the High Castle this morning, & I thought it was even better than the first. I do hope they eventually explain the mechanics behind traversing realities, but otherwise things are really starting to get going.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

XandertheWise

watching a few things on Tubi this weekend

some old George Carlin stand up specials from 1999 to his last one in year 2000something
Shrunken Heads
Rifftrax: Ghosthouse
Subspecies II
The Wrong Guys
Day of the Triffids

XandertheWise

RR529

Finished up Wanna be the Strongest in the World! the other night. If that name makes it seem like an anime, it's because it is. J-Pop idol Sakura Hagiwara decides she's going to join the pro wrestling circuit & beat them at their own game after her group is humiliated during a cross promotional event.

Doesn't have that big a budget as it's primarily a fan service show (the premise gives the animators ample excuse for crotch or butt closeups, plus the after match showers), but it actually kinda works. They manage to get by effectively with a lot of relatively static action involving submission holds (I exaggerate, but it seems like someone's in a Boston Crab for 50% of the show's runtime). It helps that it's actually pretty well paced for the first half (she really struggles to make it & doesn't get her first win until the show's half done), though it gets overstuffed in the latter half as she immediately gets the attention of the world champ, gets her own protege (in a storyline that doesn't really go anywhere), and is menaced by a mystery assailant. That said, it actually manages to end in a pretty good place.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Binged through Aika R-16: Virgin Mission this weekend (currently free on Tubi), which wasn't that hard as it's only 3 episodes long.

Anime OVA miniseries that follows high school student Aika Sumeragi whom after obtaining her salvager's license, she can pilot a sub, is invited by her school's "Adventure Club" to take part in an expedition to a set of mystery coordinates which were hidden in a message within a butterfly tattoo that another, amnesiac, student has. Things won't be easy however, as there are forces aiming to kidnap said student during the trip.

The best I can describe it as is dumb, guilty pleasure, fun. It's so short it's really impossible to become attached to the characters or for it to build any sort of engaging narrative, so it just jumps from one zany scenario to the next. It's full of cheesecake fan service (if you couldn't tell from that title), and it's hard to be disappointed if you're going into it for that (the art direction is pretty simple, but things are typically animated & detailed well. I've seen much worse). The biggest negative I can think of is that it's a bit blurry, either an SD product that's been stretched to fit modern aspect ratios, or an SD copy of an HD production.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Obi-Wan Kenobi. It was okay.

I think it was definitely at it's best when it was focusing on the Kenobi/Vader angle, and seeing Vader absolutely own the room in the other scenes he was in. You can definitely feel the bloat with how they had to pad it out from it's initial inception as a movie though.

That, and I'll have to cut Moon Knight some slack as Kenobi had the same issues in terms of darkness. The scenes in the rebel hideout in episode in episode 5 were super muddy, and I could barely see what was going on in the final episode when Luke was getting chased in the mountains & when Kenobi got buried under ground. Clearly there's something wrong with how Disney is making these shows.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic