Forums

Topic: What are you watching?

Posts 241 to 260 of 325

crippyd

@PhhhCoigh I think it ended quickly due to money disputes between the two leads and also I think it was going to get wrapped up at the end of the penultimate series but it got a reprieve and they cobbled together the last series.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

PhhhCough

@crippyd ahhh..to quote sugar bear, from big money hustlas, "why is it always about some bitch ass money.."

PhhhCough

loosegoose80

watching a few things on Tubi

Howling V
Troll 1
some movie hoarding documentary about fans who are really into movies for VHS/dvd

loosegoose80

loosegoose80

also on crunchyroll im binge watching catching up on Attack on Titan seasons 3 and 4

loosegoose80

RR529

Breezed through Bikini Warriors last week. A parody of JRPG tropes (particularly Dragon Quest), though with an extremely lewd twist (it doesn't even show a single nipple, but I'd still say it's the lewdest fan service anime I've seen in quite some time).

Still, depending on how you feel about the lewd angle, I'd say it's worth a watch for JRPG fans, especially considering all the episodes are only 4-5 minutes long (this was a new one for me, is this a thing in anime now?). I especially liked episode 3 I think it was, poking fun at how absurd it is in these games that the hero can just ransack people's homes & break their pots for money & resources.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PhhhCough

Finished diabolical. Pretty good.
Season 3 of peaky blinders. Enjoying it, thus far.

PhhhCough

crippyd

I've been watching Afterlife on Netflix. To be honest, I watched the first episode some time ago and couldn't get on with the main guy so shelved it. After seeing some trailers for series 3 recently I decided to give it another go and I'm currently on ep 5 of season 2 after understanding the character better. It is a truly heartbreaking series and I can relate to how the guy feels if it were to happen to my wife and I.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

XandertheWise

watched Ghostbusters Afterlife and My Demon Lover recently.

Now, tonight or this weekend Im watching Breakin, Breakin 2 and Courage Mountain and House II

XandertheWise

RR529

Well, after two seasons, Yashahime: Princess Half Demon finished up this past weekend.

It had it's moments for sure, but between the incredibly sloppy/bloated narrative, disregard to established continuity/lore, and overall a lot of narrative/character decisions I didn't care for on a personal level, I'm immensely disappointed.

Granted, I don't think I could tell you exactly what I'd want from an InuYasha sequel, but this definitely wasn't it. I don't even have the energy for a rant.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

PhhhCough

Just watched halo, episode 1. It definitely isn't the halo I read or played. Pablo Schreiber, not a good chief, he looks a little derpy. The action is good and the covenant is...there. It looks like they're getting their ideas from halo 4, with the alien tech; 5 by going [REDACTED].

PhhhCough

PartyMarty

I just watched both series of Dead Pixels, it's a gaming related comedy on Netflix or Channel 4 in the UK. It's a good show!

PartyMarty

Tasuki

The Batman on HBO Max. Not the worst Batman movie but not the best.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

RR529

American Crime Story: Impeachment - Dramatization of the events surrounding the Clinton impeachment scandal. Only have one episode left, and it's been thoroughly interesting & excellent so far.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Almost done with this one as well. Watched this shortly after it originally released nearly 10 years ago, and it's been just as interesting revisiting it today. The CGI still largely hold up as well (though there's a segment on photosynthesis which has CGI that looks 10-15 years behind everything else in the show for whatever reason), which is pretty impressive given that it was originally a network TV special.

Also was treated to a ReBoot marathon while I was poking around Pluto TV this morning. It looks positively ancient by today's standards, but it was fun revisiting a show I liked as a kid for a few hours. For whatever reason it was on the "TokuShoutSu" channel, which usually only shows stuff like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, & old Godzilla movies, of which I'm not sure how it relates, but it was a fun time nonetheless.

Also have watched a bunch of movies over the past few months (Encanto, some X Men films, Turning Red, Free Guy, etc.), of which I've posted of in more detail in the dedicated movie thread.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Magic User's Club - Anime series revolving around the relationships of group of Japanese high schoolers as they practice sorcery with the help of an ancient tome found in a cave... which also happens to bring them to the attention of the occupying alien overlords who have so far thwarted all resistance from the world's militaries.

I thought it was pretty cute. It actually consists of a 6 episode OVA series followed by a 13 episode TV series, and of the two I prefer the former. The TV series (despite tying up some loose ends in the first episode) completely drops the sci-fi element, and changes focus almost entirely to the slice of life relationship element (there is a mystery revolving around, an obviously supernaturally related, new student, though I had the truth figured out pretty early on).

Again, it's pretty cute throughout, though I lament the excising of the OVA's sci-fi element (which I thought brought a nice contrast to the magic). Just be aware of typical anime tropes if you decide to watch it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Moon Knight last night.

It had it's moments (and I thought episode 5 in particular was interesting), but overall I think it's the weakest Disney+ exclusive yet (between the Marvel & Star Wars stuff). The blackout segments were fun at first (and I really did like the car chase scene early on in the series), but I wasn't a fan as they went on (especially since they used one to skip over how he got the upper hand in the final fight, even though I knew what twist they were foreshadowing), other times it was so dark I could barely see what was going on (especially during the episode in the tomb), and I was really disappointed that after how relatively little we saw him suit up (and with how personal the conflict between Khonsu & Ammit is) that the final fight wasn't a one on one (multiple personalities notwithstanding), and that they insisted on introducing another hero last second to take part (by all means introduce them, but maybe wait until season 2). I don't really mind the "Are you an Egyptian Superhero!?" bit, other than the fact that it wasn't directed at the titular Egyptian themed superhero. Also, entities that regular people can't see (outside of outright ghosts) are a bit of a pet peeve of mine for whatever reason, so I didn't care for the bits with the invisible Jackals (or whatever they're supposed to be).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Goku: Midnight Eye - Two episode OVA series that follows a private investigator named Goku (not THAT Goku) as he takes on criminals outside the reach of the law in the cyberpunk dystopia of Tokyo... in 2014. Aiding him in his quest are a cybernetic eye that gives him control of every computer system on the planet, and an extendable staff that shoots lasers.

It doesn't have much of an overarching narrative (each episode is largely standalone, and how he got the eye/staff is a mystery even to the protag), but it's worth checking out if a gritty sci-fi anime with gratuitous violence/nudity that wears it's Blade Runner/Mad Max inspirations on it's sleeve floats your boat (just be aware that it's still in SD). Free on Tubi.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up season 1 of the Man in the High Castle last night.

Really interesting alternate history drama overall, though it looks like they may be going a bit more fantastical with it than I had imagined going in, with a character seemingly travelling to the "real world" from their reality in the last moments of the final episode. Though I guess it's not that surprising given the existence of the tapes. Looking forward to see where it goes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

PhhhCough

Rewatching season 1 and 2 of the Orville. Season 3 is coming early june.

PhhhCough

RR529

Finished up City Hunter (well, the 51 episode first season anyways). Excellent.

80's anime series that follows Ryo Saeba, the "City Hunter" (essentially a gun for hire who takes on jobs the law either can't or won't). While there are plenty of episodes that play it pretty straight (and a handful are dead serious), there are a good amount that find him in more humorous situations as well (and there trends to be some humor in the more straight laced episodes too). Granted, most of the humor centers around Ryo being an unrepentant womanizer (although he's often foiled by his assistant Kaori, who often bashes him with a giant mallet in such situations, even if his only crime is making her jealous).

Really the only thing in a similar headspace that I can think of are the older Lupin III series (like those, it doesn't have much of an overarching narrative, rather each episode tends to be it's own adventure), though I'm actually certain I prefer this (despite growing up with Lupin III Part 2 on Adult Swim). While it does have it's share of gags, it doesn't seem to get AS zany as Lupin can (both in terms of situation & character design), with some surprisingly good attention to detail when it comes to vehicles & firearms which is cool.

Currently free on Retro Crush.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic