Comments 218

Re: Psychonauts 2 Wins 'Xbox Game Of The Year' At The Golden Joystick Awards 2021

Kiryu-Kun

@themightyant That's fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the PS5 at all, still a solid, high tech machine, and obviously closer to the Series X than the Xbox One to PS4 for example.

I was just surprised it won the hardware category, before I realised it was just a popularity contest voted by fans.

At least we agree on FPS boost

It really is one of the best things about the Series X. It was the main thing I preferred about PC gaming, so it definitely pushes the Series X way up in my esteem.

Re: Psychonauts 2 Wins 'Xbox Game Of The Year' At The Golden Joystick Awards 2021

Kiryu-Kun

@lokozar Here's someone who knows what's up

Incidentally I have a gaming PC too, and I prefer my Series X. It's so convenient, fast, and quick resume is a game changer for me - being able quickly switch between say 6 games in mere seconds, to the exact point you were in. It's superb.

Also as I'm still rocking a 1080p plasma and haven't jumped on the OLED bandwagon yet, 4k games supersampled to 1080p look surprisingly excellent - smooth, and packed full of a detail. That's something my PC doesn't do, unless a game offers supersampling in the menu.

Even though it's expensive for a console, the SX seems tremendous value to me. It's actually more powerful than a 2080 Super which was around 700 not so long ago. For significantly less money, you get a complete package, including an excellent CPU, controller and a brilliantly engineered, silent case.

@themightyant I think some of you misunderstood what I meant by that.

By more than perfect, I mean it retroactively enhances titles, which for me is better than 1:1 hardware emulation. Even if admittedly, I'd love it if more titles were supported.

FPS boost and resolution boost is great. Especially FPS. I find it quite hard to play 30fps games these days, being used to PC gaming especially.

So FPS Boost is like a dream come true to me, as having a solid selection of 360 games running at 4k60 on the Series X, is like having a really good emulator, with all the polish and accessibility of a console.

Anyway I'm surprised anyone even argued with me about the Series X being objectively better hardware, as unless you place a HUGE amount of importance on the Dual Sense controller, the Series X has just about every other hardware advantage.

And I didn't even remember the stuff on @JetmanUK 's list, which is significant stuff like Dolby and VRR.

Re: Psychonauts 2 Wins 'Xbox Game Of The Year' At The Golden Joystick Awards 2021

Kiryu-Kun

@sjbsixpack

What do you mean by PS5 handles frame rates better?

Obviously exclusives are subjective, as R&C is the only PS5 exclusive I like, I would rather play Forza Horizon 4 and 5 than any PS exclusive.

By the way, I know the hardware differs, and the PS5 GPU is clocked higher, that doesn't compensate for the massive difference in cores and TMUs. The result is still 10 TFLOPS for the PS5, and 12 for the Series X, so exactly 20% faster. In time I think we'll see slightly higher resolutions/framerates on the Series X, like the 360 over PS3, or PS4 over Xbox One.

Re: Psychonauts 2 Wins 'Xbox Game Of The Year' At The Golden Joystick Awards 2021

Kiryu-Kun

@themightyant interesting what you say about quick resume. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's worked on every single game I've tried it on, from my recollection. It's possible one or two didn't get added and I didn't notice, but it really is almost every single one, including Xbox One and 360 games.

For some balance, I actually prefer the look of the PS5 aesthetically, I kind of love how huge and over the top it is.

Plus I think the Series X controller is overrated. Its battery life is terrible compared to the 360 pad, it's d-pad is ultra clacky and loud, and the sticks are not as firm as the 360's. I still think the 360 pad is the best overall pad ever, if only it had 6 face buttons.

Despite that I feel like the Series X is a clear winner for the reasons I stated. Especially the more-than-perfect back compatibility spanning 3 generations, FPS boost, combined with quick resume, means the PS5 doesn't really come close. The extra horsepower is the icing on the cake.

Objectively it's just a better console, and this is coming from someone who has always been a Playstation fan.

Re: Psychonauts 2 Wins 'Xbox Game Of The Year' At The Golden Joystick Awards 2021

Kiryu-Kun

Any idea why the PS5 won the hardware category?

As someone who has owned and enjoyed a variety of Xboxes and Playstations, and is a huge fan of the PS1/PS2, this generation was a no brainer.

Series X wins hands down.

The Series X is faster, quieter, smaller, has unmatched back compatibility, the brilliant quick resume, and of course GamePass.

I think the Series X is a significantly better piece of hardware.

Re: Sonic's Xbox 360 Games Have Been 'Transformed' Thanks To FPS Boost

Kiryu-Kun

@Scenes Nuts isn't it? I had no idea it was rare, I thought most launch games were quite common/abundant.

Ah I just saw you have the US version, good on you, I was wondering if that was possible

It would be much appreciated if you could detail the logistics here, or via PM. Essentially do you have to switch back to UK/Europe to get access to your main collection of games etc?

Re: Pick One: Which Is Your Favourite Forza Horizon Game So Far?

Kiryu-Kun

FH4 is still the clear winner for me.

FH5 is spectacular obviously, and Playground Games always deliver technically.

But I still think FH4 is superior in a few ways. Despite 5's graphics tech upgrades, I still think 4 looks more convincing/realistic. They really nailed the English weather and lighting, it looks superb. Especially at 4k60 on the Series X.

FH's world feels more alive - more cars, more animals. They've also slightly dumbed down the handling/physics in 5, it feels a bit too arcadey. Setting it to simulation improves things a bit, but 4 is clearly better. The soundtrack too, is far better and more memorable in 4.

I feel the map is overall better in 4. A bit more engaging, with a nice flow, and a nice amount of undulation.

Also, the dialogue/characters in 5 are nauseating. I mean, 4 was a bit cringey/cheesy in that regard, but 5 takes it to a whole new level of cringe. Probably the cringiest game I've ever played tbh

If that makes it sound like I don't like 5, that's far from the truth.

I think it's also one of the best driving games I've ever played. I just feel they struck gold with 4, it has a certain magic to it, and is near perfect all round.

Re: Sonic's Xbox 360 Games Have Been 'Transformed' Thanks To FPS Boost

Kiryu-Kun

@BlueOcean

I actually have an old copy of RR6 kicking about somewhere, but I've moved a few times since the 360 era and have no idea where it is. And cex doesn't have any, it seems it's commanding a surprisingly high price on ebay. I thought it would be a very common game.

So yeah I'd love to buy it digitally, bizarre we can't in the UK. I mean, why?

Re: Sonic's Xbox 360 Games Have Been 'Transformed' Thanks To FPS Boost

Kiryu-Kun

@BlueOcean funny I didn't even know there was a middle one.

As a big Mario Kart fan - particularly MK64, MKDS, and MK8 - the only Mario Kart clone I've enjoyed is Sonic and Sega all stars racing. And indeed, I prefer the first one. The transformed gimmick was OK, but ultimately the first one seemed like a more solid game, and more fun.

Re: 37 FPS Boosts Added To Backwards Compatible Games On Xbox Series X|S

Kiryu-Kun

@SegaBlueSky you should do.

As someone who skipped the entire PS4/Xbox One generation, and has been playing games on PC/Switch, I recently got a Series X and absolutely love it.

Brilliant home console. Has the horsepower of a very powerful PC, with all the convenience of a console. Gamepass is great, it's whisper quiet, and quick resume is a god send, and very unique. The games look amazing even on a 1080p plasma, due to supersampling. Especially Forza Horizon 4 and 5.

Regarding this list, it's amazing too. I have the Fable and Fallout games installed, and even Dragon Age, but have held off playing them in case they miraculously added FPS Boost to 360 games.

Lo and behold, a few weeks later they actually did

Re: Ten Of The Best Backwards Compatible Games From Xbox's 20th Anniversary Celebration

Kiryu-Kun

@PJOReilly Good on you including Ridge Racer 6, but I would actually argue it IS the pinnacle of the series.

I love RR1, Rage Racer, and Rave Racer for nostalgia but I feel RR has never been better than RR6.

Ridge Racer 6 is basically Ridge Racers PSP in HD. Same UI, new boost mechanic, refined handling and drift physics, and some of the same tracks. There's a lot of content, and the gameplay is superb.

I would put Ridge Racers 2 PSP on at least equal footing though, due to the tracks, it has most of the great tracks from Rage Racer and Rave Racer. It's essentially the ultimate Ridge Racer, and is kind of unbelivable that it looks as good as it does, and runs at 60fps on 2004 handheld hardware.