Forums

Topic: Xbox 360 JRPGs Worth Playing

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

LtSarge

I'm looking into buying some JRPGs for 360 as I barely have any for that system. I've done some research but I would also like input from you guys. I already have Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon digitally on Series X, so I'm looking to buy other games physically. The ones that have caught my attention are Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I saw that Star Ocean and Undiscovery are both backwards compatible on Series X, which makes them especially appealing to me. Even more so if they support quick resume (which isn't a deal breaker by any means).

Resonance seems to have a unique combat system, although I've heard people have a hard time learning it. Undiscovery seems to have some issues and is also quite difficult even on normal but doable on easy. Moreover, I've heard that Eternal Sonata is better story-wise on PS3 but much more difficult. Finally, Star Ocean apparently doesn't have the best English dubbing but I honestly don't mind that.

Would you guys say that these four games are worth playing?

LtSarge

LtSarge

@Royalblues Yeah that's always a caveat when it comes to playing older games, especially JRPGs. I'm willing to take some risks now though as I really want to try different JRPGs since I'm getting kinda fatigued by the ones I've been playing recently. I want to experience JRPGs that try to do different things and I feel like the 360 era was the most experimental one when it comes to the genre. The combat in Resonance of Fate for example looks really unique. They just don't experiment that much with JRPGs these days. Even looking at games like Xenoblade Chronicles that also has a unique battle system, the series had its start during the PS3/360/Wii era. So in order to find some interesting JRPGs, I'll have to go back to that era and explore a bit.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

belmont

Resonance of Fate and Star Ocean have been remastered so maybe you should get the new versions. Eternal Sonata is one of my first PS3 games I played ages ago. I would not recommend the 360 version. It has less story content.

belmont

LtSarge

@belmont The problem with the remasters is that they are digital-only and I don't want to fill up the hard drive on my consoles if I can't help it. So I'd rather buy the original games physically.

Yes Eternal Sonata has less story on PS3 but it's also more difficult:

"The amount of EXP granted by most enemies and bosses is significantly lowered in the PlayStation 3 release, exponentially the further the player progresses into the game.
The statistics such as HP of monsters are altered in ways that generally make combat more challenging to the player.
The levels at which a number of the character's Special Attacks are learned are altered, usually in a way that is less favorable to the player."

https://eternalsonata.fandom.com/wiki/Eternal_Sonata/Xbox_360...

I honestly don't care if the PS3 version has more story if I don't even like playing the game to begin with because it's more difficult.

LtSarge

belmont

@LtSarge I only have a Series S so I don't know how Xbox disks work but do you not have to install the game anyway? In any case I do not recommend the old versions on both RoF and Star Ocean the OG versions have bad load times and look like a pixelated mess in a big TV. To be honest I only lost once in Eternal Sonata in PS3 during the game and a couple of times in the final boss

belmont

RaZieLDaNtE

@LtSarge Hi there friend.
So you already have one of the absolute best JRPGs of all time with Lost Odyssey, so that one is covered.
As for the other ones:

• Eternal Sonata on PS3 can be pretty hard sometimes, but not that much and it does have some extra content.
    In terms of story there are a few interesting changes and some welcome ones, but I think it only matters if you played the 360 version first.
  • Resonance of Fate is a hard game, period. You really have to consider the very first battles as a tutorial. What I mean is, repeat as much as possible until yoy find yourself acostumed with it and then grind as much as possible.
    That´s how I did it anyways, but I´m not particularly good at that game 😜
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope does have some cringe worthy dubs, sooooo, yeah.
    I prefer the PS3 version for me personally.
  • Infinite Undiscovery. Didn´t play it at the time, don´t even know why.
    Bonus game
  • Magna Carta 2 is another really good JRPG, with a very cool combat system, fun characters and a interesting story. Sadly, I think this game is not currently backwards compatible on the Xbox One or Series S/X. It can still only be played on a 360 wich is a shame. Maybe one day though. Hope it helps.
    Cheers, stay safe and have a good one

"Don't regret your past, learn from it. Regrets just make a person weaker".

"Solid Snake"

"Want to be a stronger person? Live the moment of your Present, don´t forget your Past and use it to build up your Future."

"RaZieLDaNtE"

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic