Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Turnip Boy Robs A Bank (Mar)

Posts 881 to 900 of 3,283

ralphdibny

@LtSarge good stuff and we have started, there is just a delay in me updating the thread properly because Im working all weekend and week. Hopefully I'll get some downtime to update it soon πŸ‘

See ya!

KilloWertz

Not sure I'll be participating for a 2nd month in a row. I couldn't last month since I hadn't played Psychonauts yet and I had other games to play, and I have some other games this month that I want to play before Guardians of the Galaxy comes out late in the month. That and I read that at least some of the bosses in this game are ridiculous. I've had to deal with that in Kena on the PS5 (an otherwise really good game), so I'm not really looking for that again.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

ralphdibny

@KilloWertz hopefully next month is a goer for you πŸ‘. I'll stick up the voting for the next game when I update the thread so we'll see where we are then!

See ya!

LtSarge

Played a couple of more hours of The Evil Within and the game is simply brilliant. One aspect that I'm seriously loving is the level design. The levels aren't really that huge, but they're incredibly dense with lots of places to explore. You could technically just skip through most of it and do your main objective, but then you'd be missing out on a lot of resources, weapons and ammo, which will make boss fights much harder. Speaking of which, there was one boss fight that I didn't have any problem with because I had enough explosive ammo to take it down, but when I looked it up online, apparently tons of people have had issues with it. So ultimately, it's better to take your time and explore everything.

I just think it's cool that there's so much to do if you take your time. For example, one level took me about an hour to get through, but I'm sure another person could go through it in like 10 minutes if they just run straight to the end. There's even a trophy/achievement for beating the game in less than 5 hours, which might sound crazy since the game is normally around 20 hours long but that's only if you take your time and explore. It's really nice to see such a high level of freedom of how you want to tackle the levels.

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

I'm likely skipping the Evil within and maybe next month's game. My gaming time has been very limited and a night in the woods took up all of my time the last few weeks. I'm focusing on Halo in preparation for Infinite but we'll see how quickly I can get through it and then jump back into Pshyconauts 2.

Keep me in the list, I'll just refrain from voting if i don't think I'll have time to jump in.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

ralphdibny

Hi all, apologies for my tardiness. This month's game is The Evil Within. Available on game pass and extra spooky for Halloween month πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘».

It's available on both Xbox and PC with game pass and I believe the PC version includes the DLC, not sure.

HLTB stats:
Main - 15hr50mins
Main+ - 20hr19mins
Completionists - 39hr37mins
DLC - 6-7 hours

Tag list (let me know if you want in or out)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @Beagle @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @The_New_Butler @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001

Games for next month, please vote πŸ˜€

Alien Isolation
Dead Space
Doom 3
Mirrors Edge
Perfect Dark
Quantum Break
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Kameo: Elements of Power
Dante's Inferno
Crysis
Marvel Avengers

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

Considering how many games are coming out in November, I'd like to go for a shorter game next month. So I'll be voting for Mirror's Edge and Dante's Inferno.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

Quantum Break. I've been wanting to play the game ever since Control, but never have (downloading issues with the game didn't help). It's really the only game on the list I would set aside time to play next month, but obviously I'm just one person.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

themightyant

Apologies, i've not been very good at this so far! Bit run ragged with work at the moment, and other priorities when I am playing. Also need to stop spending so much time discussing games here/elsewhere and more time actually playing them

Unlikely to play Evil Within this month but hoping to start Psychonauts soon. (always behind it seems)

Re: next month: I've played all the games on the list except Marvel's Avengers and Dante's Inferno.

All those played are, or were at time, really good and a few are truly great! Stand out's for me were Ori WotW (one of my favourite games), Dead Space, Doom 3 & Mirror's Edge. I still think about all these games often.

Honourable mentions to Quantum Break (An interesting experiment combining games + tv. Really good in parts but for me it never quite managed to achieve what it was trying to.), Kameo & Alien Isolation.

My votes are for Marvel's Avengers. It's meant to have a good campaign and Crystal Dynamics are a solid developer. I feel bad having not played it but still wading in with the memes! I could meme with more authority if I actually played it

Doom 3 - It was ground breaking at the time on PC. I never thought dark corridors, atmosphere and lighting could get any better... interested to see how it has aged. It was Hell-a fun too, and short.

Dante's Inferno - I read Inferno years ago and was always interested in how they were going to represent the nine circles of hell... but somehow never got round to it...

themightyant

themightyant

@Balta666 It depends if you are playing on Series S or Series X I think.

Mirror's Edge was X-enhanced on Xbox One X and this carries over to Series X, but I don't think Series S gets X-enhanced benefits.

The X-enhancements were 4K and HDR, but I think it still runs at 30fps.

If you are playing on Series S you will be getting the normal Xbox One backwards comaptible version. Digital Foundry did a video on this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1877TUbm0

TLDW - Played via backwards compatibility (on Xbox One at least) solved some of the 360's problems by holding a stable 30fps and eliminating tearing.

However it introduced a couple of other issues.
1) It darkened the whole image - As the super-white bright aesthetic was a major part of the game this is odd
2) A flicker on some moving elements

I'm not 100% sure if these issues were ever resolved. A couple of YouTube comments suggest at least one (not sure which) or maybe both were fixed... but don't take that as gospel!

themightyant

crippyd

I'd like to vote for Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Quantum Break as I've not played any of those.

Regarding The Evil Within, I started this a few weeks ago and haven't really got in to it really. It doesn't seem to resonate with me for some reason, however I'll continue to give it a good try. I don't think I've faced a boss enemy yet so I don't know how far into the game I am.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

ralphdibny

@John117 no worries, will do! Hope you are well anyway and just give us a shout if you want to be added back to list

@themightyant no worries! It is what it is. I'm stretched thin at the moment and I've got no idea how im going to fit The Evil Within around what I have planned for the next month. Still got a bit more Psychonauts 2 to go first!

See ya!

themightyant

Very late to this party but I finally started Psychonauts (1). Only a couple of levels in but WOW! this game has more heart and originality than most. Yes the mechanics are a bit clunky and dated but I can live with that so far. The X-enhanced resolution boost combined with the unique art style gives it a massive glow up and it’s hard to recognise it as an original Xbox title!

Seriously impressed and looking forward to playing more tomorrow

Edit: When I get a bit further I’ll enjoy going back and reading all your thoughts

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

LtSarge

I'm halfway through The Evil Within now and the game has been absolutely bonkers so far. Really long as well, I think I've played roughly 9 hours or so now, so I still have quite a long way to go. But I'm really enjoying it thus far, it's more of a linear experience than Resident Evil and I think that's refreshing. There are also not as many puzzles, which is not necessarily a bad thing because the pacing of the game is very good as a result. You spend so much time scavenging for resources that if you spent even more time trying to solve puzzles, the game would become very dull. The balance between tense atmosphere and enemy encounters is great as well. I constantly have to move slowly because there might be traps in the darkness that I don't see if I quickly run through the areas.

The game is also quite challenging but I think that's a good thing since that aspect is forcing me to use every weapon at my disposal instead of only relying on e.g. the revolver and the shotgun. I've barely used the crossbow's other bolts but in the latest chapter I was forced to use them since I was running low on ammo with my other weapons. And I discovered that the freeze bolt is also really good at clearing out groups of enemies, so I'm definitely going to upgrade that one whenever I can. Speaking of upgrade, the progression system is seriously really deep and compelling in this game. There are so many different things you can upgrade, e.g. for the revolver alone there are 5-6 different parts to upgrade and then each part can be upgraded numerous times. The gameplay loop as a whole is one of the best I've ever seen in a horror game. This game is just so much fun to play and really spooky, I'm loving it so much.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Finished up The Evil Within a couple of days ago and it took me roughly 20 hours to complete the game. What a phenomenal survival horror title! It's become my favourite horror game of all time. I really enjoyed the gameplay and the in-depth progression system. I've written down my thoughts in more detail over at Push Square if you want to read them: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/retro_and_other_gaming/user...

It's too bad that not many seem interested in playing it, but it's totally understandable. It's a very long game and also rather challenging, so it's definitely not the type of survival horror game you can easily pick up and play. I still highly recommend giving it a go when you're able to set aside a lot of time for it.

I'm definitely going to get the season pass for this game since I've heard a lot of great things about the DLCs and it's rather cheap. I'm also contemplating getting another month of Game Pass and finally finish up Psychonauts 2. It's funny, but The Evil Within actually reminds me a lot of Psychonauts in terms of its bizarre themes.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

sirmrguitardude

The Evil Within is perhaps my favorite game ever. By the way the flash bolts and the shock bolts are insanely powerful. One match and one shock bolt can take out maybe 5 guys at once, just get them all chasing you and light the match.

sirmrguitardude

themightyant

@LtSarge That's a great spoiler free write up mate. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'll be honest this game was firmly off my radar but many of the points you make are right up my street. I love stealth games, it's absence in some other horror titles I always find a bit odd. The gameplay sounds far more in line with my interests that I thought. And who doesn't love a bit of Debussy.

While there's far too much to play right now, and in the near future, thanks for putting it on my radar.

What did you play it on? It's much cheaper on PS right now, as is the season pass, but seemingly not on sale which is strange. Permanently cheaper?

In other horror-ish related news: Can thoroughly recommend Midnight Mass on Netflix, just binged it on train journeys this weekend, aside from too many self indulgent monologues it had my attention from start to finish.

themightyant

LtSarge

@themightyant I played the game on PS4. I already had a PS4 copy of the game, otherwise I probably would've played it on Xbox through Game Pass. I've heard people mention the game exhibiting poor performance but I played it on my base PS4 with all patches installed and it ran without any hiccups. So I'd definitely recommend the PS version. I also bought the season pass because it was rather cheap and it seems to have a lot of content, so it seems worth it. I'll still have to give the DLCs a go soon!

Appreciate the Netflix recommendation! I've been wanting to watch more horror movies/TV shows and Midnight Mass sounds promising.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic