Forums

Topic: 👻Pure Xbox Game Club👻 - The Evil Within (October)

Posts 901 to 913 of 913

ralphdibny

@John117 no worries, will do! Hope you are well anyway and just give us a shout if you want to be added back to list

@themightyant no worries! It is what it is. I'm stretched thin at the moment and I've got no idea how im going to fit The Evil Within around what I have planned for the next month. Still got a bit more Psychonauts 2 to go first!

ralphdibny

themightyant

Very late to this party but I finally started Psychonauts (1). Only a couple of levels in but WOW! this game has more heart and originality than most. Yes the mechanics are a bit clunky and dated but I can live with that so far. The X-enhanced resolution boost combined with the unique art style gives it a massive glow up and it’s hard to recognise it as an original Xbox title!

Seriously impressed and looking forward to playing more tomorrow

Edit: When I get a bit further I’ll enjoy going back and reading all your thoughts

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

LtSarge

I'm halfway through The Evil Within now and the game has been absolutely bonkers so far. Really long as well, I think I've played roughly 9 hours or so now, so I still have quite a long way to go. But I'm really enjoying it thus far, it's more of a linear experience than Resident Evil and I think that's refreshing. There are also not as many puzzles, which is not necessarily a bad thing because the pacing of the game is very good as a result. You spend so much time scavenging for resources that if you spent even more time trying to solve puzzles, the game would become very dull. The balance between tense atmosphere and enemy encounters is great as well. I constantly have to move slowly because there might be traps in the darkness that I don't see if I quickly run through the areas.

The game is also quite challenging but I think that's a good thing since that aspect is forcing me to use every weapon at my disposal instead of only relying on e.g. the revolver and the shotgun. I've barely used the crossbow's other bolts but in the latest chapter I was forced to use them since I was running low on ammo with my other weapons. And I discovered that the freeze bolt is also really good at clearing out groups of enemies, so I'm definitely going to upgrade that one whenever I can. Speaking of upgrade, the progression system is seriously really deep and compelling in this game. There are so many different things you can upgrade, e.g. for the revolver alone there are 5-6 different parts to upgrade and then each part can be upgraded numerous times. The gameplay loop as a whole is one of the best I've ever seen in a horror game. This game is just so much fun to play and really spooky, I'm loving it so much.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Finished up The Evil Within a couple of days ago and it took me roughly 20 hours to complete the game. What a phenomenal survival horror title! It's become my favourite horror game of all time. I really enjoyed the gameplay and the in-depth progression system. I've written down my thoughts in more detail over at Push Square if you want to read them: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/retro_and_other_gaming/user...

It's too bad that not many seem interested in playing it, but it's totally understandable. It's a very long game and also rather challenging, so it's definitely not the type of survival horror game you can easily pick up and play. I still highly recommend giving it a go when you're able to set aside a lot of time for it.

I'm definitely going to get the season pass for this game since I've heard a lot of great things about the DLCs and it's rather cheap. I'm also contemplating getting another month of Game Pass and finally finish up Psychonauts 2. It's funny, but The Evil Within actually reminds me a lot of Psychonauts in terms of its bizarre themes.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

sirmrguitardude

The Evil Within is perhaps my favorite game ever. By the way the flash bolts and the shock bolts are insanely powerful. One match and one shock bolt can take out maybe 5 guys at once, just get them all chasing you and light the match.

sirmrguitardude

themightyant

@LtSarge That's a great spoiler free write up mate. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'll be honest this game was firmly off my radar but many of the points you make are right up my street. I love stealth games, it's absence in some other horror titles I always find a bit odd. The gameplay sounds far more in line with my interests that I thought. And who doesn't love a bit of Debussy.

While there's far too much to play right now, and in the near future, thanks for putting it on my radar.

What did you play it on? It's much cheaper on PS right now, as is the season pass, but seemingly not on sale which is strange. Permanently cheaper?

In other horror-ish related news: Can thoroughly recommend Midnight Mass on Netflix, just binged it on train journeys this weekend, aside from too many self indulgent monologues it had my attention from start to finish.

themightyant

LtSarge

@themightyant I played the game on PS4. I already had a PS4 copy of the game, otherwise I probably would've played it on Xbox through Game Pass. I've heard people mention the game exhibiting poor performance but I played it on my base PS4 with all patches installed and it ran without any hiccups. So I'd definitely recommend the PS version. I also bought the season pass because it was rather cheap and it seems to have a lot of content, so it seems worth it. I'll still have to give the DLCs a go soon!

Appreciate the Netflix recommendation! I've been wanting to watch more horror movies/TV shows and Midnight Mass sounds promising.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

Sorry peeps, I'm Gona have to drop out of this month. Work/life has just meant I've got 0 time to actually sit down and play a game properly.

I won't be playing The Evil Within but I will be finishing up Psychonauts 2 at some point and will post when I do. If I get any time at all, I'll probably be playing some shorter 2-5 hour games in the near future.

But yeah, peace out! I'll still be around to organise the thread, sort out the votes, change the thread title etc. Just got a lot of real life stuff going on so don't have much time to play games properly

ralphdibny

ralphdibny

@themightyant cheers! Yep hopefully I'll work out some balance in the future and/or instigate a change in circumstance!

Edited on by ralphdibny

ralphdibny

Krzzystuff

@ralphdibny let me know what short games you try out. I just played procession of calvery and it's pretty short. I heard that Amono and artful escape are both short and great.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

LtSarge

Finished all three DLC packs for The Evil Within and so I decided to write down my impressions of them. All in all, I think the additional content was absolutely worth it, even for €10. The first two DLCs are basically the main story but from the perspective of another character. It's obviously not the entire game, but it shows the moments that you didn't see with the other character. And honestly, I think you really need to play these two DLC packs in order to fully understand the story of the main game. Because here's the thing, it genuinely feels like this content was cut out from the main game. The reason I say this is because there was so much additional information and lore that wasn't in the base game that probably should've been. For example, the DLC brings up the name of the corporation behind everything. But I don't think their name is even mentioned in the main story. Imagine if the first Resident Evil game came out today and no information was given about Umbrella at all, not even its name. That's what it feels like with the DLC for The Evil Within. Information that should be crucial isn't even in the main game and you have to play the DLC in order to learn it. It's just so bizarre to me.

Other than that, I enjoyed the first two DLCs a lot. Instead of having a lot of different weapons at your disposal like in the main game, you have most of the time no weapons at all and have to rely on pure stealth in order to get through the levels. New mechanics include hiding behind cover and luring enemies to you and then running away so that you can get pass them. This was interesting when you could lure them into a room and then lock the door so that they were stuck in there. Over time, you'll find axes that can be used as one-hit kills when sneaking up behind enemies. You could also lure enemies using bottles and throwing them off buildings. So overall, I highly enjoyed the stronger focus on stealth in these DLCs. Not to mention that there was a larger emphasis on puzzles this time around, which reminded me a lot of Resident Evil. In other words, if you want a fresh experience after playing through the main game, the first two DLCs are definitely the way to go.

The third DLC is very different. It lets you play as one of the bosses from the main game called "The Executioner" and you get to absolutely destroy other enemies. Imagine if you could play as Mr. X in Resident Evil, it's kinda like that. It's basically like a fun extra thing and a good way to wind down after having played through the main game plus its two other DLCs. I had a lot of fun with it even though it was only an hour long. However, it's meant to be played through multiple times so it's kinda like the arcade mode of this game.

The other two DLCs were around three hours long each, so you're looking at a total of roughly 27 hours to get through the base game and its three DLCs, so there's a lot of content to be had here, especially for a horror game. I personally had a blast with The Evil Within plus the DLC and I highly recommend to check them out as long as you have a lot of time to set aside for this title.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic