Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,430

gingataisen

I agree with BAMozzy; the proof is in the pudding. Those DF tech breakdown videos are going to be, uhm...entertaining, to say the least.

gingataisen

Ryall

@Z3u5000 PS5 can deliver 120 frames per second but just not at 4K. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/dirt_5_on_ps5_will_ha...
As 120 frames a second is less of a priority for Sony. It’s also probable that the software development kit doesn’t make it as easy to implement which would be a problem for a single person developer. It’s not the hardware can’t do it. It’s how easy it is and what compromises they need to make in terms of resolution.

Ryall

Banjo-

It would be interesting to know how Spider-Man runs at 60 FPS on PS5. Checkerboard 4K rendering? No ray tracing?

EDIT:

Indie developer says, "I announce my Xbox exclusive is going multiplatform - Not a single Xbox "fanboy" complains. I announce that the XBSX version will be the only version that's 120 fps: Multiple Playstation fanboys troll the post. Believe it or not, I didn't design the PS5. Your beef is with Sony"

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/xbox-series-x-cares-more-about...

Poor guy was threatened by Sony fanboys and had to erase his tweet.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

gingataisen

@Z3u5000
Once Digital Foundry starts comparing the two, this vitriol will only get worse. I wonder if access media will address this, or just pretend it isn't happening.

gingataisen

DarkRula

The damn console war mentality needs to die. The aggressiveness it breeds is just not needed. Unfortunately, such attitude is rife within all life.

DarkRula

Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula

BAMozzy

There is no reason that the PS5 cannot do 120fps. A game like Fifa 17 was native 4k and 60fps on the PS4 Pro so it could easily be unlocked to 120fps with the hardware inside. The problem though is more likely down to what visual compromises may need to be made for games to run at 120fps and whether or not Devs (or indeed the platform maker) would be prepared to accept. There is absolutely no reason that MANY games couldn't run at 120fps but it really does depend on what compromises may need to be made in 'some' games to achieve that bench mark - whether the Dev (or Sony) would be happy or willing to do so.

If, for example, Sony stipulate a 'minimum' resolution standard, lets say for arguments sake 1440p (which is technically less than CB4k), but a game runs at around 100fps at 1440p with a medium/high visual settings, the Devs may have a 'choice' to drop resolution (but Sony won't allow it), drop visual settings down to try and reach 120fps, or cap the frame rate at 60fps and boost resolution and/or frame rates. It doesn't mean the console can't do it, it may mean that the Devs aren't happy to and/or Sony won't allow them to reduce the visual settings any lower to meet that performance metric. Its entirely possible that MS could be a bit more open to allow Devs the option to maybe do a 1080p/120fps mode in game.

With the lack of processing power compared to Series X, it may mean a few more compromises 'somewhere' to hit certain performance metrics, whether that's resolution, frame rates or visual settings (inc RT) but I doubt the difference is 2x - in other words, the PS5 can 'only' do half the frame rate for example.

The more taxing games visually (and maybe CPU too) will perhaps see the biggest difference in metrics - again whether they are 'noticeable' in game, we will have to see. However, some games could well achieve parity simply because the PS5 is 'sufficient' to run that game at max settings and frame rates.

I still find it shocking that fanboys seem to want to concentrate more on what the competitor is doing, offering etc. What their strategy is moving forward, what the first party line up is and what settings they will run at etc. Does it matter what compromises are made to get Spider-Man to run at 60fps for example when it won't be running at 60fps at all on an Xbox? I can see Forza Motorsport being compared to GT7 despite running on different engines with different perspectives. If one opts to have a lot more polygons in their Car models for example, that affects the render budget, as does effects like Dynamic weather etc so Resolution and frame rate are not really an accurate comparison.

Even with 'like for like', ie same game, same devs on both platforms can be misleading too - depends on which may have been the lead platform, what optimisation route they go for etc. We saw with the recent RE remaster that one may target having a native 4k image (at the expense of consistent frame rate) and the other was more intent on trying to maintain a consistent frame rate - and some of that could be 'dictated' by console makers - an emphasis on hitting the max resolution for maybe one company and the other may stipulate a minimum resolution (ie 1080p) so have freedom to drop as low as 1200p to ensure 60fps. In any case, these are at least a 'fairer' comparison for those that 'need' to decide by picking which console offers the 'best' performance metrics over any other factors (like Strategy, exclusives etc)

I am getting fed up with people focusing more on the 'other' console and what its doing/offering etc - especially in threads that are meant to be discussing their preferred platform/games. Its ridiculous!! This thread is meant to be discussing the Series X and it doesn't matter what the PS5 can do, what exclusives it has and the performance metrics as those games won't be running at any resolution/frame rate on Series X. I don't want to go on PushSquare either and see comments about MS's strategy, MS's game line up etc - especially not when the topic is specific to Sony. I do think PushSquare is much worse at the moment when they are baiting their community by talking about what Phil Spencer says with regard to MS's strategy moving forward and 'bigging' up the SSD speed, and trying to belittle the 'big' difference in GPU design. MS state that 60fps is their design goal right now, but as soon as a third party dev opts for 30fps, Phil Spencer is a liar - despite not having control over 3rd Party devs and what their 'ambition' is. 60fps does mean that the GPU can't run games as graphically high as 30fps would allow - it has half the time and has to spit out twice as many frames so you can either settle for that 'visual' standard or use the 'extra' time allowed for 30fps to boost something (resolution, RT quality, Shadow/reflection quality, draw distances etc etc).

Whilst it does annoy me that people want to talk about a game like Spider-Man and what the 'devs' may do to get it to run at 60fps on a PS5 on a thread about Xbox, the same principal will apply to Insomniac as it would to Ninja Theory with Hellblade II or any other first party dev. Not saying HBII won't be 60fps, but they have a 'rendering' budget to draw a frame in 16.67ms or 33.33ms and if they opt for 60fps, then they would have to scale what the GPU renders down to hit that metric compared to what visual settings (inc resolution, graphical quality settings etc) they could have at 60fps - assuming of course that the CPU isn't the bottleneck as it was this gen at times and why games like Rise of the Tomb Raider still couldn't hit a locked 60fps despite dropping down to 1080p from 4k - a quarter of the size. Maybe just changing from 'native' 4k to CB4k would suffice as its still rendering the same amount of pixels every 33.33ms (30fps) but we will have to see what choices ALL devs make when it comes to their games on Consoles.

All I can say is that I am Excited to see what Microsoft are bringing in less than an hour (pre-show too)...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Banjo-

23rd July 2020.

Dragon Quest XI S
Exomecha
Watch Dogs Legion
Echo Generation
Hello Neighbour 2
Balan Wonderworld
Halo Infinite
State of Decay 3
Forza Motorsport
Everwild
Tell Me Why
The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon
Grounded
Avowed
As Dusk Falls
Hellblade II
Psychonauts 2
Stalker 2
Warhammer Dark Tide
Tetris Effect
The Gunk
The Medium
Phantasy Star Online 2
Cross Fire X
Fable

Optimised for Series X:
Sea of Thieves
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 4
Destiny 2 (60 FPS 4K)
Ori and the Will of Wisps (120 FPS 4K)

Many of the games showed today are Series X exclusives and not coming to Xbox One so they are fully next-generation: State of Decay 3, Forza Motorsport, Avowed, As Dusk Falls, Hellblade II, Stalker 2, The Medium, Fable...

There are also Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Marvel's Avengers, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk 2077.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Ralizah

Yakuza 7, Cyberpunk 2077, Dragon Quest XI S... Xbox owners are going to be some lucky ducks this holiday.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TanaDax

Exactly why I intend to jump to Series X before PS5 KratosMD, the amount of dosh to be saved on games is crazy, especially when game pass lets you try so much. I mean just look at the list Blue posted above, more to come in the August event and then all the 3rd party stuff that arrives and leaves. Try paying £60 for each one of those.. ouch.

TanaDax

Senua

The amount of pushsquare fangirls that got triggered and had sleepless night yesterday was just astounding if you checked the livestream, post event poll-hijack, comment spams in the videos. The event was 95% of what I wanted to see from Xbox - ending the narrative of “xBoX hAS n0 gaMEs” once and for all...in fact lot of them were exclusives to Xbox Series X. If you honestly compare ps5 and xbox upcoming first-party lineup...xbox clearly wins by a large margin in terms of new AAA IPs, diversity of games, pro-consumer initiatives (gamepass, absolutely free upgrades like Ori 120fps, Gears 5, FH4), good stories and gameplay, ultra detailed graphics in high resolution and framerates. Only 2 honest bummers are - Halo as a platform and lack of another Hellblade 2 footage.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Banjo-

I agree, it takes time to get that hype because most of the Xbox Game Studios are recent acquisitions and Playground was expanded not long ago. The most interesting conclusions are that they are preparing lots of varied games, all styles and genres covered except 3D platformers... yet and that many of the big first-party games were presented as Series X but not Xbox One games. The cross generation is going to be shorter than expected which is fine because it's a backwards compatible console and Xbox One should be left behind.

Banjo-

Senua

@KratosMD I agree, the mindshare is totally on playstation’s side, that’s the greatest hurdle xbox has to overcome with great IPs like Avowed, Fable, Everwild etc and the Initiative game which has been held back for later.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

Some actual dev commentary that actually explains what's going on with the game...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Banjo-

Aaron Greenberg (Microsoft) confirms my theory, "Future 1P titles are developed for Xbox Series X first. Not saying those games won’t ship on Xbox One, only that we are leading with Series X & each studio will decide what's best for their game/community when they launch".

What this means is that apart from cross-gen Halo Infinite, Xbox Game Studios are focused on Series X. I think that it's the logical decision.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Senua

@BlueOcean Most of the new titles in development are only confirmed for Xbox Series X and PC in the showcase. By that time cross gen period will be over.

Senua

BAMozzy

Its quite a simple premise, let Devs build the games they want and then let them decide whether the game can be scaled down to older generations. If the 'compromises' made are 'too much' for the development team to be happy with, then it won't release on XB1. If however, they find the compromises 'acceptable', it will also come out on both.

Scorn devs have openly admitted that they do not want to release that game at 30fps and so it will NOT come out on XB1. Whether it would run on XB1 at 30fps, with other graphical compromises (like resolution, visual settings etc) or not is immaterial, its not what the devs are willing to compromise on.

I doubt we will see a 'hard' cut-off point in the cross generational releases. Maybe in a year, we see some first party games releasing solely on Series X (Forza or Hellblade II maybe for example) but also other First Party games releasing for both - even if they were built with Series X in mind. Forza for example may 'struggle' to hit 60fps on XB1 and that has always been a 60fps game so they are unwilling to drop to 30fps or run an uncapped frame rate at anywhere between 30-60fps so it won't be cross-generational.

I have no doubt that some games could be scaled down to current gen with some compromises - inc turning RT off. We have seen some drastic compromises to get games running on Switch and some you may think have been compromised too much to get there BUT the principal still remains. Granted, some aspects may well affect the game-play too much, having a 'pause' whilst the next area streams in will break up the flow. Take Ratchet and Clank for example with the portal jumping, being in the portal for 30+s would break up the flow but it 'could' be done IF they were willing to accept that compromise. I doubt GT7 wouldn't run on a PS4 with some compromise too but that's not Sony's Strategy.

We saw with this Gen that many 3rd Party games released cross-gen and gradually fewer and fewer releases came out on both. Some of that is down to the amount of Compromise required and some down to sales, its not worth making all that effort to try and get it running adequately when few people are still buying games on old hardware.

Anyway, I do think that there won't be a 'hard' cut off point where every game after a certain date is Series X only and it will be a more 'gradual' transition. I don't think MS will dictate to their Devs to make a game run on 'old' hardware for the sake of it, force them to make it cross generational - and that 'year' or so when games will come to both is 'flexible' and will be determined by the devs themselves and the games they are making. I think if they can and are willing to scale it down, it will release on both. Some games obviously were designed firstly with XB1 in mind before shifting development up to Series X - but no doubt, a lot of the 'design' was built around older hardware. Therefore it can be scaled down without fundamentally compromising the gameplay experience too much...

Senua

@BAMozzy It’s called “Gamecore” created by Microsoft for next gen consoles. New titles targeting Xbox Series X are built on the new Gamecore as opposed to the older platform.
Here’s the Digitalfoundry breakdown explaining possible reason behind Halo Infinite demo’s unpromising visuals.

Senua

Ryall

@Z3u5000 I hope ever able to implement something along the lines of SVOGI before launch. All that extra resolution and detail is wasted if you can’t see it because of the lighting model.

Ryall

Banjo-

The ray tracing patch will fix the lighting issues with Halo Infinite which is what makes the textures look flat even if they are detailed. The video explains that.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic