Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 1,430

ralphdibny

@Grumblevolcano ahh that's on the Xbox store. I don't think they've ever been available on the Xbox store, only on the 360 marketplace where they still seem to be available for the time being:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-The-Hedgehog...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-Knuckles/66a...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-CD/66acd000-...

You can buy them there with the account you use on Xbox one/series and they become available to download on Xbox one/series. I think sonic 2 and sonic CD are available on the One/Series store anyway though, not sure.

Here's the rest of the BC sonic games, just for posterity:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-the-Fighters...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-Adventure/66...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-Adventure-2/...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-UNLEASHED/66...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Sonic-Generations/...

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-4-Episode-II...

On the topic of the soundtrack, I always thought that was just a rumour. Apparently Michael Jackson made some tracks for sonic 3/&knuckles but they didn't actually use them even though what they ended up with did sound a bit Michael jackson-y

I thought that just got thrown about along with the "lock on technology was hard to implement" excuse but the real reason was that it wasn't cost effective for them to actually just do it for the specific releases that don't have S3&K or don't support the lock on. I always thought both reasons were a load of rubbish because sonic mega collection and the XBLA releases both supported the games and the lock on feature

@Banjo- for sure! I really wish this sonic origins collection was beefier. Even if it just had straight up emulated versions of the MS/GG, Neo Geo Pocket and GBA games. Would be so awesome and a day one purchase!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny Just Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles officially remade for this first time is enough to justify its existence and it's something I've been waiting for a long time. It's a much better way to play than any emulated version and I never had the Mega Drive although I played it at my school friends'. This is also the first time that Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 remakes are available outside mobile. The only modern current-gen console that has any of these games (outside emulation) is Series X with the backwards compatible Sonic CD remake.

Of course, I'd like some unlockables or DLC, the most obvious are Master System and Mega Drive (including Knuckles Chaotix) emulated games as this is called "Origins". Sonic Advance Trilogy, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and the Neo Geo Pocket rare version are all welcome.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- oh yeah Knuckles Chaotix would be so good, as well as SegaSonic The Hedgehog which again has some weird excuse for not being released of not being able to implement trackball controls.

I might be alone in this but I think Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D are both really good too. Had a blast on both games in the past!

I probably will get this sonic origins collection when it gets a physical release which I'm guessing it probably will in the end based on Sega's past form for this sort of thing. Something about all that weird DLC/pre order bonuses, as well as the price has really rubbed me up the wrong way though so it's a pass for me for now.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of work has gone into updating these games in the past and for the new collection but the value of the content is paltry compared to past compilations like Sonic Mega Collection. I know they've updated it for wide screen, rebuilt them on a new engine etc but it's still the same games at the end of the day and they are charging way too much for them in my opinion.

That's actually a good suggestion for DLC though! Extra actual games would be worth doing, not whatever DLC they've got available to pre order now. It just sounds like a load of nonsense! 😅

See ya!

ralphdibny

Ahh screw it I just bought them all anyway lol

Edit: and now I can safely say it wasn't worth doing... Lol

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny What did you just buy? Anyway, the DLC thing has been massively overblown by the internet and turned into a problem that doesn't exist at all. The Deluxe Edition includes everything and it's just 4 pounds more. The standard version shouldn't exist because the DLC is trivial and the marketing of this game has been a mess since the reveal with emulated Sonic 3 footage but if you ignore the silly marketing and you compare it to what Nintendo charged for 3 barely touched roms without any extras but a plain music player, then Sonic Origins is great value, not to mention that although there was no "deluxe" edition of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the games were available for a few months as a pathetic marketing strategy and no Super Mario Galaxy 2 on top of that. I say this as someone that pre-ordered Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- haha everything! Nah, despite the fact I already own all of this elsewhere, either on mega drive, GameCube, PS3, 3DS or Switch. I bought Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, CD, The Fighters and all the DLC for Sonic Unleashed even though I've never even played it. I already have Sonic Generations, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic 4 Parts 1 and 2 on Xbox. Will definitely be waiting for either a steep sale or a physical release of Sonic Origins now 😅

Yeah I completely agree that the standard shouldn't exist or rather that the deluxe content should be included in the standard. My first reaction to the Sonic Origins DLC headline was complete confusion. Then when I actually saw what the DLC was, I thought it was so dumb and negligible that I couldn't work out why it was worth extra money. Having said that though, I'd absolutely want it still if I was actually going to buy it 😅. I'm sure it will be bundled in the hypothetical physical release if the Sonic Mania Plus release is anything to go by.

I don't disagree that 3D all stars should have had Galaxy 2 but I do think it would have been worth £40 anyway. I wish it included Galaxy 2 and a flip grip enabled 64 DS as well. My main reason for thinking that is that Sonic Origins is probably more equivalent to Nintendo trotting out the original 2D Mario All Stars again. If they rebuilt it on a new engine and incorporated wide screen 😅. At least they enabled wide-screen in Sunshine (not sure if that was an option in the NTSC GameCube release but I'm 90% sure it wasn't included in the PAL release but I'm not certain - typically they dropped the extra visual options on the disc in favour of having all the European translations on PAL GameCube games). They defo could have gone the extra mile and made Mario 64 wide screen. I am under the impression it looks a lot better than the NSO release though. I'm happy with it either way, especially since they patched GC controller support into Sunshine.

I'm no fan of modern Nintendo anyway, a lot of their products come across as scummy and anti consumer. Forced scarcity is the tip but stuff like tying extra content to games I already bought on Wii U is also annoying. Stuff like the Bowser add on to 3D world and even the MK8D booster pack. I won't be buying 3D world again for £40+ to get that content. At most, i'd pay like 10-15 for both releases to get access to the extra content even if I then had to buy the MK8D booster course on top of that. In an ideal world, the Bowser game and the Booster Course would be separate releases for the mooks like me that bought and own the games already the first time around in the Wii U era!

I'm also pretty annoyed by the N64 controllers too. Still haven't got them yet and it's been like 5-6 months without a restock. I've literally spent the last half a year checking the My nintendo store multiple times a day. I've made it as easy as possible to do it (I just have the bookmark saved on the home screen of my phone and open Chrome using that instead) but it still feels icky to me that I even do that.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I'd say go pre-order the deluxe edition and get all the DLC and the pre-order bonus but I won't say it because a physical version might come next year like what happened before. Does the last part mean that you are subscribed to Nintendo Online Expansion Pack or is it possible to use it on other platforms? Are you really subscribed to that?!

I agree, Sonic Origins is like Super Mario All-Stars, both are wonderful collections. Super Mario All-Stars was awesome value even full-priced back in the day, not so much the lame Wii re-release. It could have been on Virtual Console as well but nope because of Nintendo. I know what you mean about modern Nintendo, I refuse to buy the same Wii U games again with no cross-buy, cross-discount nor anything in spite of having my Wii U (NNID) and Switch accounts linked. If I was supposed to buy the same full-priced games for some DLC then nope, thank you Nintendo. I only fell for Mario Kart 8/DX and it's one of my least favourite MK games. Wii U was not perfect but since Switch they spend all their resources on milking fans and fighting the scene.

Yes, Super Mario Sunshine is rendered in widescreen higher resolution and it's my favourite Mario 3D game, that was the main reason I was excited about a disappointing collection, disappointing because it doesn't include SMG2. Super Mario 64 is much better on PC and New 3DS (unofficial port). Super Mario Galaxy is basically the same but higher-resolution. Of course the games are great, the collection is not.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- nah I'm subscribed to the base NSO which allows you to buy the controllers. It was actually a bit annoying cos my sub had run out so when the controllers went up for sale I had to sub again. By the time I'd bought it, paid and entered the code, the controllers were sold out. So annoying lol. I suppose getting a couple of the MD controllers was the silver lining but I'm still hoping for a restock for the N64 pads so I don't have to buy another year of NSO.

I'm not sure if you can use them elsewhere but I will try anyway. I am a bit of a controller fiend so official Bluetooth retro Nintendo pads are right up my alley!

I've got a charging cabinet to keep all the batteries charged (didn't want to have to remember to dig out all these internal battery devices and charge them every 6 months to keep the batteries healthy). But putting it all together and putting hooks in the cabinet to hold the controllers etc has been put on the back burner because I'm waiting on these N64 pads to see how they will fit in there. The only shelf that's more or less "done" is the top shelf that has a hook for the PS aim controller and docks for the various Move controllers

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny Let us know if the new N64 controllers work outside Switch. To force users to be subscribed to Nintendo Online and then small stocks being sold out when you think you're about to get a unit is a new marketing strategy I would have never imagined but it suits modern Nintendo's priorities: money over anything else LOL. I regret soooo much not getting the Mega Drive Mini, the European version is sold out everywhere. It's so cool and it has two controllers. I know it doesn't have the six-button controllers but I like the European Mega Drive design the most.

EDIT: If the N64 controllers work on Series X/S it would be awesome because Retroarch works con Series X/S.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- ah it's a shame the MD mini is gone. It was in stock for so much longer than the NES and SNES minis. Can always pick up the retro bit 6 button controllers for it too. I like the 3 button pad as well, it's much more comfortable to hold and there are plenty of other consoles to play mortal Kombat and street fighter on to be honest.

I will let you know if they work on PC or Raspberry Pi...if I ever get them! lol. I suspect they will not work on Xbox though because nothing seems to work on Xbox. MS have their usb/Bluetooth controller "handshake" locked down. There are a couple of adapters, the CronusMAX and the Titan One I think, that allow other controllers to connect but they are pretty expensive, especially compared to the Mayflash and 8bitdo options available for PlayStation and Switch.

Im not sure if a third party wireless controller even exists, officially licensed or not. I ended up getting one of those officially licensed 8bitdo pro wired Xbox pads in the end for any D-Pad heavy games I play. Even my wired arcade stick requires an official Xbox pad to be connected to it via USB so you can use it as a passthrough for the "handshake".

I'm interested to know if the adaptive controller opens up any possibilities for extra controllers. I think it has a usb port that I wonder if it can be used as a pass through for other remotes. I might get one if I can save up enough reward points. They seem to be quite well stocked. I think all the extra buttons/sticks etc are much harder to find and more expensive to buy unfortunately.

A little while back I wanted to make a piano controller to play a piano rhythm game on Switch called Pianista. I didn't get very far with it to be honest. I bought a cheap-o usb controller to butcher but never ended up getting a mini keyboard to butcher. I don't even know how I'd combine the two anyway lol

See ya!

GodofCapcom

I'll drop it here just so I can check after show how close I was.

Here are my predictions for this June's e3.

1. Starfield UNCUT gameplay
2. Redfall gameplay trailer
3. Gears 6 story trailer
4. Indiana Jones gameplay trailer
5. Doom 3 teaser
6. State of Decay 3 uncut gameplay
7. Everwild gameplay trailer
8. Forza motorsport release date with gameplay
9. Fable story trailer
10. Avowed gameplay trailer
11. Perfect dark story trailer
12. Hellblade 2 combat gameplay
13. Compulsion's next game gameplay trailer

Mic Drop: Minecraft 2.

Along with some updates to minecraft dungeons, grounded, sea of thieves, fh5 etc.

GodofCapcom

Grumblevolcano

With the delays to Starfield and Redfall I wonder if they'll perhaps use big day 1 Game Pass 3rd party releasing this year to open and/or close the show, like starting with Gotham Knights for example. The purpose of the showcase is to convince the person watching to subscribe to Game Pass this year after all.

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

BAMozzy

@Grumblevolcano I have no doubt that MS will fill those Gaps on Game Pass - maybe not with3rd party 'Xbox Exclusives' but some Big AAA games. I am sure as soon as they decided to Delay, that Phil was looking at ALL the releases coming to Xbox and making some calls to other Publishers.

Game Pass isn't 'just' Exclusives - as some seem to think. Its not '2-3 Xbox Games' needed to make it 'worth' subscribing, its ALL the new games added weekly, big or small, exclusive or multi-platform, and not always Day 1 games too (Guardians of the Galaxy for example). We know games like Plague Tale, Atomic Heart, Scorn, Warhammer: Darktide, Stalker 2 (still listed for Dec 22 right now but would be very understandable if that is delayed again), Slime Rancher 2 etc are all coming to Game Pass this year - on top of the games we already have seen - R6: Extraction, MLB22, Tunic, Shredders etc.

So I won't be playing Redfall or Starfield this side of Christmas, however there are still a LOT of games coming I can play and its not as if I have unlimited Gaming Time to play 'everything'. Instead of trying to decide between whether I play Starfield or Hogwarts for example, the decision is less complicated now - but the point is, they'll still be games coming, still be games on Game Pass every month and its still the 'best' value in Gaming.

The fact that MS has delayed these also goes to disprove the Game Pass leads to lower quality. Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop were 'delayed' for more work and polishing time and the results were very positive. FH5 were given extra time for FH5 - an Extra year and Forza Motorsport - a 2yr cycle game is now in its 5th year - Both were developed knowing full well they would be released straight into Game Pass Day 1 from the very start!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Lavalera

@Grumblevolcano I doubt it will be a day one major AAA title like Gotham Knight. Even though coop and MP seem to be huge successes on Gamepass, i doubt it will come to gamepass day one unless Microsoft gets the wallet out and pay a huge sum of money to get it day 1. CoD and Hogwarts are the only other AAA multiplat game releases which are confirmed to come out around the same period and those have marketing deals with PS so i doubt those will come to gamepass day 1.
Maybe they will lock in an older multiplat like Dying Light 2 or Lego Skywalker or try for Elden Ring (althought the chance for that coming to gamepass i see as next to nothing)

Edited on by Lavalera

PSNid: Lavalera

Grumblevolcano

@Lavalera That's what I think they'll do. They were desperate enough to guarantee Game Pass success that they acquired the main major 3rd party studio that refused to put games on Game Pass so spending lots of money to get some big 3rd party day 1 Game Pass releases to make up for a weaker 1st party lineup is really tame in comparison.

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

NEStalgia

This is interesting. I noticed all day I couldn't run cloud games. But Xbox status page shows all ok. Then tried switch and found out that Nintendo is doing emergency maintenance and everything is down. Then went back to cloud and it now shows it has long wait times.

I don't think xcloud is down. I think all the switch players ran to game pass while switch is down and overloaded it 😆

Guess I'll be streaming from series s then ..... Yakuza needed finishing anyway!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Banjo- LOL, I'm not sure what's more terrifying, the almost creepy wax museum-esque pictures, or the fact that that's what The Initiative has spent the last 4 years on

I guess it's still better than the God of War artist that keeps drawing horrifying realistic Pokemon art for some nightmare-fuel related reason.....go Xbox?

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic