Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,430

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I'm not an expert on this, but the way the Series X is placed reminds me a lot of how I placed my PS3 before it overheated, i.e. the fan was very close to a wall. I know you've made holes in there, but I think the issue is the proximity from the Series X fan to the wall above it. The heat gets reflected from the wall back to the console and that might lead to overheating, which is what happened to my PS3. Even if you were to place it horizontally in there, I think the issue would still persist. The Switch on the other hand seems better situated as the fan is so far away from the wall above it, not to mention that the system itself is so small that it doesn't emit that much heat.

Now I could be completely wrong but I just felt like giving my two cents on the subject.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge it does seem a little close to the shelf above to me as well. The shelf does get rather hot to the touch if I put my hand on it. I think I read somewhere that the top vent needs an inch and a half clearance from whatever is above it, which it does.

That cupboard did used to only contain the Switch but it seemed like the easiest place to put the Series X as well.

I think I'll have to see how it goes. It's fine with the door closed for streaming video but I played Yakuza 6 with the door closed for a few hours today and it did get a bit too hot in my opinion. I think I will leave it like that for now and just make sure I open the door when I'm playing games on it.

@Balta666 the alcove has the same dimensions horizontally as it does vertically. It's not a bad shout though. I think I'd have to drill vent holes in the panel to the right which has the TV on the other side. I'm not amazingly keen on the idea however because that's part of the TV unit itself rather than just a £15 insert.

I think if I went horizontal then I'd have to put the Series X up on top of the unit and just face the fact that I will have to dust it regularly. If I ever get a PS5 then it would end up horizontal on top of the unit for sure! It wouldn't fit anywhere else!

See ya!

Savage_Joe

I bought the Halo Infinite Series X on walmart... and they were widely available! I could NOT not buy it 😃😃😃😃

Savage_Joe

PhhhCough

Walmart still has Series Xs available. No W+ membership required

PhhhCough

BAMozzy

@ralphdibny I'd say it very much depends on how much space you have behind that unit. In 'theory', the top holes and open front should allow most of the hot air escape. The fact its 'blowing' straight up will push the air sideways but obviously going to warm the top of the unit and therefore not 'cool' the air as much. It may well operate at a 'higher' average temp because hot air can't 'escape' as much, more of it sat in the warmer air and the unit above being 'warmer' to having directed hot air.

As hot air rises, its perhaps better to go for the horizontal alignment as you can direct the 'exhaust' to the more open 'front' of the unit - assuming the holes at the back also allow decent cool air to be sucked in. At the very least, the console is sat lower, can be used to push most hot air out into the room and therefore run 'cooler'.

I don't think you'll have too much issue in either case as I'm sure they are designed to run in more torturous conditions and temperatures. Its just that the fan would be on and/or running faster a LOT more than say running the unit in much cooler climates with the optimum airflow. I don't know where you live but if the ambient temp is much higher (as it is in some climates), then its going to work harder to keep the unit cool, especially as its not pulling in the 'coolest' air to begin with.

I'd also 'never' game with the glass front closed too because you are significantly reducing the air flow and trapping more heat inside...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

ralphdibny

@BAMozzy cheers for your thoughts on this, I largely agree. Ambient temp is normal for the south of England really. It errs on the cold side unless there is a random heatwave in summer 😅. It's more or less the same in the flat but we keep it warm enough for mould prevention reasons. Likewise, the TV unit has a couple inches clearance from the wall behind it. Mainly for cable management purposes but it also has the effect of providing extra ventilation space back there.

Cheers for that anyway. Definitely don't think I'll be doing any gaming with the door open. The side effect of that unfortunately is that now the door is basically open all the time because I use the Xbox so much and forget to shut it 😅. I'll have to make an effort to close it after use. Otherwise there is no point in it being in a cabinet lol

See ya!

BAMozzy

@Mauzuri I've had my Series X since Day1 and mine is kept Horizontally - its the only way it fits in my AV unit. All I can say is that I can't recall ever having had an issue with reading discs. My OG XB1 (that VHS looking monster) had to be replaced because of a 'disc' issue- it wouldn't take the disc in 'properly' to align with the laser so I was constantly having to lift the front up so 'gravity' would assist. But since then, I don't recall any problems.

That's not to say I haven't, but at most, a simple eject and re-insert maybe has occurred but I can't recall doing it with my Series X in particular...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Grumblevolcano

The Forza Horizon twitter account does teases for what will be covered on the next Let's Go stream. This is the most recent tease:

There's a part of the whiteboard which has June crossed out to be replaced with July so I think we may be seeing FH5 expansion 1 release in July.

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

Grumblevolcano

Gears 5 Map Builder is removed with a new Gears 5 update.

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

ralphdibny

Does anyone have the XBLA versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and & Knuckles?

Just wondering whether I should pick them up before they get delisted so I have options to play both the original versions in HD as well as the updated versions in Sonic Origins should I choose to buy that down the line (not looking likely currently due to its price and convoluted DLC).

I was just looking the XBLA versions up and a lot of info seems outdated unless the games just haven't been updated.

If anyone has them, do you know if the lock on feature works on Series X so if you own all 4 games, you can play Blue Sphere, 2&Knuckles and 3&Knuckles?

Also I've been reading that 3&Knuckles omits the level select which is a huge turn off for me. I might skip the whole set if that's the case and turn to emulation if I ever want to play these games again in future and not on the origins collection. I own them enough times already to be honest, Mega Drive, GameCube, PS3, Mega Drive Mini, 3DS and Switch.

Did the level select get patched in at all? I remember it being one of the features that helped make 3&Knuckles one of my favourite platformers ever. Just because you could go back and finish bits off that you didn't the first time around!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Balta666 Sonic 3 has the level select so when you combine Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles to unlock the "complete" game, it lets you level select any level from both games as you progress through it.

I think the complete Sonic 3 & Knuckles is actually one of the best 2D platformers ever made and easily the pinnacle of the Sonic series. The arcadey/early console set up of Sonic 1&2 is fine but the accessibility of the more modern "backtrack to finish" set up of Sonic 3 is what tips it over to being the best Sonic game ever made. Even if I am more nostalgic for Sonic 2 which was my first sonic game.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I agree! Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles is the best Sonic game ever.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic