Forums

Topic: Official PlayStation Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 244

belmont

Crash 1 and Resident Evil 2 do not show if I search them in the Vita (EU Store)!!!!!! I moved them back to Vita from my PC back up but I think it is strange. There are still some Indies and PS1 classics I want but the majority of Vita and PSP games I wanted are bought and backed up in multiple locations...

belmont

LtSarge

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah I mean I want to just buy pretty much everything I'm even remotely interested in playing but this is just so scummy. I should not need to be rushing to buy everything because Sony sucks at communicating.

@belmont That's been the case for a long time now though. You can still download them through your download list, which is what I did with RE2.

So yeah I've been trying to buy Siren: Blood Curse on PS3 the entire day and it still says "An error has occurred" whenever I try to purchase it. Not to mention that you can't even add funds on the PS store. I even tried adding funds through the web store and I can't even do that. I looked up some forums online where people have this issue and apparently, Sony is aware of this problem and is working to resolve it. But why haven't they communicated this through their social media channels? Why are they being so quiet about it? It's absolutely ridiculous. They give you a deadline to buy PS3 games and you can't even buy them, not to mention that companies are actively removing games. I'm definitely not going to be supporting Sony in the future at this rate because they are just having a laugh at this point. They don't care about their hardcore fans, they just care about satisfying the mainstream audience, i.e. people who don't care about preservation of games.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@belmont Damn I wonder why the EU's been targetted by all this

None of these have actually disappeared off the NA store but I guess I better hurry in that case

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

@LtSarge Don't forget that the shutdown announcement itself wasn't done via any of their social channels. Some users got emails and it's rather hidden on the Europe PS support site, those are the only Sony sources that mention the shutdown.

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

LtSarge

@Grumblevolcano That's true! It definitely feels like the PR team was specifically told to not make a big deal out of this, but still inform consumers in a quiet way so that Sony doesn't get accused for withholding necessary information from us. Very scummy tactics and it's another example of the increasing lack of transparency from Sony. Not to mention the decreasing trust that this will lead to. Trust is a very important factor in maintaining good customer relationships and Sony is completely disregarding this. They've become such a horrible company now.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Well after two days of trying, I finally managed to make a purchase on PS3 and buy Siren: Blood Curse!

So I think the issue was a combination of server problems at Sony and the fact that you can't make purchases directly on PS3 in EU anymore due to a new law. Because I've been trying to add funds on my account through the web store and it wasn't working, which meant that I couldn't buy anything on any system, including PS4. But today it finally worked, so I added €15 and that bypasses the issue with making purchases through PS3 since the funds are already there. All I needed to do then was to checkout with the game and now it's downloading without any further issues.

It's still weird though that I was able to buy a game directly on the Vita store but not on the PS3 store. Either way, I'm glad that Sony finally fixed the server issues but I feel like so many people wasted their weekend now trying to find solutions to this problem. Because apparently, there are not only issues with buying games but also downloading and installing them on PS3. I've read lots of posts from people stating that they had to turn off 2-step verification, delete the PS store app, turn off the console, reinstall the app, turn on 2-step verification and all these completely unnecessary steps just to get their console to work. If only Sony could've come out and said that they were working on fixing the server issues then people wouldn't have had to unnecessarily waste an entire weekend.

Well, I'm just going to hope that Siren was worth all the trouble, lol.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

If I could make a recommendation on a game to get for PS Vita before the Store closes it will have to be Tearaway

I know the game was eventually remastered for PS4 but honestly it just suits the Vita and its configuration so much better and was clearly built with that console in mind

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

@TheFrenchiestFry Tearaway is an excellent game, I also recommend it. I have the PS4 version as well because the developer apparently added extra content to that one so I'm definitely looking forward to replaying the game there.

But yeah it's crazy to me that the console that's home to the majority of my favourite games of all time will soon not sell them anymore. Persona 4 Golden, Trails of Cold Steel I and II, and Danganronpa 1 and 2, all phenomenal games! And yeah I guess you can play the ToCS and Danganronpa games on PS4 but they felt right at home on the Vita.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge I'm honestly glad games like P4G and Danganronpa got a second chance on PC because now it seems like they're curating the audience they would've gotten way earlier had the Vita actually been successful

I'm honestly surprised P4G didn't almost immediately get the PS4 treatment given Persona 5 was already coming to it and it had already happened with a bunch of other games that came to Vita like Danganronpa or the FFX/X-2 remasters

I'm always going to love my Vita even after the Store shutters since I owe a lot to it in regards to getting me into so many franchises but even then there were so many games on it that just didn't get the audience they really deserved as a result of being stuck on it

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

So yesterday I decided to impulsively buy some PSP games on Vita that have been on my radar for years now. Once again, it's still weird to me how fast you can make transactions on Vita compared to PS3. Anyway, so I bought Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and Daxter, and I also realised that I had bought the first LocoRoco years ago but never played through it, so I downloaded it as well.

I just played bits of AC and Loco but these games seem very promising so far, especially AC. I've played pretty much all AC games except for several of the handheld ones, the Chronicles titles and Origins and Valhalla. But recently, I've been seriously craving some classic AC gameplay and so I wanted to play Bloodlines. So the game is basically 3D AC just like the console titles, you control the character with the left control stick and the camera with the four face buttons. But here's the thing, the Vita allows you to map the four face buttons to the right control stick, so you can pretty much play the game just like the console titles, which is so cool that you can do that with a PSP game. And yeah, the game is a sequel to the first AC which people didn't like that much, but I personally enjoyed it and I just want to experience another AC game with the classic gameplay style. I also played the first level of LocoRoco and man, this game just oozes personality and creativity. This is the perfect example of what Sony's Japan Studio was capable of; unique and catchy soundtrack, simple but fun gameplay and just overall very cool and unique concepts. I definitely want to play through this game soon.

I didn't have a chance to give Daxter a try but everything I've read about it seems promising. It's actually connected to the Jak trilogy in that it takes place between the first and second Jak games. Not to mention that the gameplay is more akin to the first Jak game instead of the second one, which is music to my ears since Jak II absolutely sucked. So I can't wait to give this game a go!

There are also several other games that I need to get, such as Resistance: Retribution (I've played all Resistance games except this one), GTA: Liberty City Stories (I already got Vice City Stories before it was taken down from the store some time ago, so now I just need to play through GTA III before I get this game) and I'm also contemplating on getting all the Syphon Filter games (I have the first one but then there are 2 and 3 on PS1, and the two PSP titles, but I need to at least play the first one before I decide to purchase all the other games). I apparently had also bought LocoRoco 2 a long time ago, so I'm also going to play through it once I'm done with the first game.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

LocoRoco is so much fun

I played that obssessively on my PSP back in the early 2010s. It's like this really addicting mix of Katamari and Pikmin with super catchy music

I think both games also got remastered on PS4 recently so I hope it sparks enough interest in another game. Japan Studio made a lot of gems that just go unnoticed outside the big names like Ico, Demon's Souls and Shadow of the Colossus

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

Speaking of Japan Studio, I decided to buy a couple of more games today and one of them was Patapon. I've never played this series before so I decided to give it a try and even though the games are remastered on PS4, I just feel like rhythm titles fit better on handhelds. Really excited to give this game a go!

Other games that I bought were Resistance: Retribution and Vagrant Story. I couldn't wait to get Resistance and I've heard that the controls for the game are better on Vita thanks to the right control stick so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I got Vagrant Story simply because it's so expensive buying a physical copy but I'm still not entirely sure that I'd enjoy it. Either way, I'll definitely try it out and see what the fuss is all about.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

Retribution's a good buy. It was made by Bend Studio with assistance from Insomniac Games much like what happened when they took over for Uncharted Golden Abyss on Vita while Naughty Dog was in a supervisory role

I'm not that into FPS games but I have played most of the Resistance games and I can definitely say this one is way better than Falling Skies, which is the one that's exclusive to Vita, despite the fact the PSP was more limited control wise

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/the_last_of_us_is_get...

This is genuinely hilarious. Even when we get news about upcoming PS5 games, it's still "bad" news. Like how is this even possible?

First of all, a remake of TLOU isn't even necessary when they literally remastered the game on PS4 and it still plays and looks great. Second, why is Naughty Dog handling the remake and not Bluepoint Games? It doesn't make any sense. ND should be focusing on making new games, not remaking old ones. It would be like if Guerrilla Games announced a remake of the first Killzone, it just doesn't make sense when these studios have so many talents. Unless ND doesn't have those talents anymore considering there have been reports of many seniors leaving: https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-...

"After the brutal development cycles of Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy, Naughty Dog has found itself with little choice but to hire a disproportionately high number of juniors and contractors for The Last of Us II, even if that perpetuates many of the problems that caused senior staff to leave."

In that case it makes sense for ND to be handling the remake. Not to mention that the unannounced San Diego studio even had to pitch in with the development of TLOU II according to the PushSquare article:

"The team was eventually pulled in to help finish off The Last of Us: Part II, which had been delayed"

And now we've found out that not only is Days Gone 2 not in the works, but the unannounced San Diego studio has disbanded according to the PushSquare article.

"Sony’s secretive San Diego studio has mostly disbanded now, according to the Bloomberg report; the team had expected to be able to lead its own projects, but ended up being a support studio once Naughty Dog wrestled back control of the aforementioned The Last of Us remake"

This is an absolute disaster. Like at first we were getting bad news about Sony itself and the PlayStation division, but now we're getting bad news about the most important stuff for us gamers: the video games. At this point, anyone who is investing in PS5 is seriously betting on the wrong horse for this generation. This is truly the first real signs of "Hollywood Sony".

@NEStalgia tagging you here because we've talked about this topic several times in the past.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Grumblevolcano

@LtSarge It's really sad, Jim Ryan is drowning Playstation but there's no Xbox equivalent to Sony E3 2013 to force Sony to get their act together because Xbox is still a few years away from a decent lineup starting to appear. Xbox can't really do much other than what they're currently doing which is "Game Pass, Game Pass, Game Pass" and hope that Halo Infinite is well received.

By the time Xbox has a strong lineup, Jim Ryan will have done a lot more damage to Playstation than Don Mattrick did to Xbox in 2013.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Xbox Gamertag: Grumble Volcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge This is genuinely concerning. It honestly puts into perspective so many of the other things they've been doing as of late like the Japan Studio restructuring and their emphasis on Astro Bot as a result of the success of Playroom, as well as stuff like shuttering the pre-PS4 consoles' digital stores

I wouldn't say Sony has stooped down to where they were in 2006 or where Microsoft were in 2013, but this is really narrow minded thinking and pretty much the antithesis of how they approached game creation when people like Shawn Layden and Andrew House were still around, where they weren't concerned if games sold millions of copies

I'm not going to jump the gun and say they're doomed since they have an entire generation to turn things around but Jim Ryan-led SIE is becoming super corporate from a management angle even if the games that are out right now do have the momentum behind them like the exclusives from last gen, and like Grumblevolcano said, this is while Microsoft barely has a first party lineup for Series X/S while all the exclusives people are actually looking forward to sans Halo are years away and might not show up for a while, so Game Pass is really all they have until further notice. Sony has the inverse problem where they have exclusives, and they're great exclusives, but they're starting to get extremely conservative in terms of what studio/IP gets what treatment

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

@Grumblevolcano Well who knows, given that Sony doesn't show up at E3 anymore and that Microsoft still do, maybe this year Microsoft will have a press conference that people will remember. I mean, imagine if Microsoft had announced the ZeniMax acquisition at E3 last year if it was still held. That would've been an even grander announcement than simply just announcing it on social medias. Perhaps they will take this opportunity to announce their next acquisition, among other things. I definitely have high expectations for Microsoft this E3.

@TheFrenchiestFry Here's the thing though: I'm an academic person, I always take changes in trends and patterns seriously. And when Sony stealthily announced after their Games showcase back in August/September that PS5 games would cost €80 and that numerous PS5 games would also be available on PS4 (hence completely disregarding the sentiment that they "believe in generations") then that's when I started to notice a shift in attitude at Sony and I knew that this was just the beginning of terrible things to come. I mean, if you now compiled all the negative press Sony has received since then, then it wouldn't be a pretty sight at all and it further presents a very clear-cut picture of where Sony is heading. I don't see this as an overreaction or that I'm being dramatic, I'm just basing this on the large amounts of observations I've made these past eight months. Which is why I can't see how Sony will turn things around without a change in top management because this is a systematic issue, not several "poor" and "miscalculated" decisions that won't happen again. Sure they might announce something like a PlayStation Game Pass where PS+ and PS Now is bundled and you can play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games through the service (hence why they wanted to shut down the PS3/PSP/Vita stores as soon as possible). But is that really enough to compete against Microsoft, when e.g. PlayStation users see that they have to pay €70 for MLB while Game Pass console users can play it for a minimum of €10 per month? And this will absolutely be the case for many upcoming games from here on out. Just recently I read that Battlefield 6 might be coming day one on Game Pass, which would be absolutely crazy and definitely a wake-up call for PS users that they're getting the short end of the stick this generation.

Point is that even if it hasn't happened yet, all the signs are pointing towards Sony performing terribly this generation. And I'm going to believe that until new signs arise to prove me wrong.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge I think the thing about the PS5 Showcase and why so many people let it slide back then was precisely due to consumer perception. The Xbox Showcases that happened prior was so poorly or divisively received in terms of the breadth of games they showed and how they were presented that even if Sony was jacking up their game prices, it didn't matter to people back then because they were just happy that Sony showed off compelling software that looked way more promising than what Xbox had at the time, especially given a lot of the marquee exclusives they had which would reasonably hype people up were at best, years away, particularly in the case of Fable and Hellblade 2

Sony's been at the receiving end of a lot of bad press lately but I honestly don't think it's come to the point where they're DESTINED to fail the generation or that Microsoft is going to have a landslide victory. They're nowhere near the predicament they were in during the early days of the PS3 or that Microsoft was in during the latter years with Don Mattrick, that much I believe is true. The problem is it's going to get to a point where if they rest on their laurels for long enough and don't do something about all the positive press Microsoft is getting, they won't lose, but it will stain their reputation considerably, and I talked about this with someone else earlier in the week when I said I hoped stuff like Microsoft getting Bethesda or Kojima Productions seemingly being in talks with Microsoft about them publishing their next game would make Sony really feel their mortality or give them a sense that their competition is getting aggressive, and if they don't realize that soon enough then eventually Microsoft will end up blindsiding them again especially if their exclusive content is just as compelling as Sony's.

It's absolutely a sour time to be a PlayStation owner when you realize you're getting the short end of the stick more often than not, but it's going to come to a point where they'd legitimately be tone deaf if they didn't respond to all the power plays Microsoft have been making. I hope these last few months were just a crevice in the road and that they're genuinely planning big things because as of right now it's not a good look for them despite the fact their platform is successful.

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@LtSarge Hoo boy.....it's just so, so bad. It's like they've stopped copying Nintendo's content and started copying a hybrid of Nintendo's business practices and Rockstar's approach to content. "Who needs new games, GTAV still leads charts 11 years later!" I mean they LITERALLY launched their console with GTAV as the opening act. It's not even a metaphor, it's literal statement.

Having their premier studio they've built the company around do a remake of a game that launched almost as a cross-gen title for the prior gen after it already had a remake on the prior gen makes no sense. Even Nintendo wouldn't launch Switch II with a remake of BotW1. A $60 port, sure. A remake consuming SP&D's time and money, no, they'd have them working on new content, even if they intend to shove it in the vault for the following generation. It seems like Ryan just looks at the top grossing then and intends to find ways to keep reselling it. It makes Todd Howard look like he didn't find enough sales channels for Skyrim yet.

I wouldn't doubt that Killzone remake from Guerilla. Sequels and remakes mean big money, and Ryan's SIE seems bent on just milking cows until they're bulls.

Every week that goes by, I find myself feeling like the frenzy to secure a PS5 was wasted. It's a PS4 Pro with an SSD drive. Ok, maybe that's worth it a little.

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I think the damage will be pretty severe if he keeps up. He'll look profitable. Investors will applaud him. And by the time it starts looking like the pendulum swung, they'll be on the very wrong side of the PR mood. And that's hard to dig out from under. It's taken Spencer and an unlimited money printer over half a decade to even START fixing that kind of damage. Sony doesn't have the money printer. PS5 is fine, financially. PS6.... that's going to be a hard sell once MS is really out swinging for years. The only difference between then and 2013 is we don't have live presentations anymore to make Ryan a meme with his own fail, and Matrick took a #2 product and made it weaker. Ryan took a near-monopoly and is erasing it's multi-generational legacy.

@TheFrenchiestFry The problem I've said before with Sony's "exclusives" is that we haven't yet seen what a Jim Ryan led exclusive looks like yet. Everything we've seen so far was greenlit by Layden, Hirai, and House. Souls remake, GoT, R&C, GT, GoW:R, HzD:FW, the whole Insomniac buyout), TLoU2 (even though I strongly dislike that entire franchise as well as the effect it's had on PS.) That's all still "Old Sony". The first things we're seeing from Ryan's Sony are......having ND remake their own 8 year old game, a bunch of Hollywood movies, 2 massive studio closures, and moneyhatting timed exclusives from third parties. If Bobby Kottick and Bob Iger ran SIE, this is what it would look like. I also loved how you could tell clearly from his statements he expected GoT would fail and expected to get it out and move on. When it hit it big you could see him light up and start talking with the ideas of sequels, franchises, movies, etc.....and then there it all was. All they had going for them was their exclusives driving their dominance. If they shed their exclusive diversity and rely on blockbuster sequels, remakes, and cheap cash-ins, Hollywood style as an actual strategy.... Ryan's not interested in selling a platform, he seems interested in monetizing content. Isn't that what Sega tried with the Saturn?

Nintendo gets away with junk because their IP, like Disney is beloved. The company is nasty but you hold your nose and do the transaction because what they sell you is this piece of timeless joy even if you hate yourself in the morning for it. Sony is merely popular. Their IP isn't beloved, it's merely popular and critically highly regarded. Actually their IPs were beloved, but they've shut down and buried the beloved stuff and only sell the merely popular stuff. MS doesn't have beloved IP either (short of the Rare stuff they semi-bury, and arguably Halo for a certain age group), but they're only selling their popular stuff for $10 a month for all of it. That's less than 1.5 Sony games in dollars for an entire year of all the content.

@LtSarge Ageed with #138 and it's so dangerous for the industry. Sony's raking in money through their failures based on reputation now. Ryan will get praised through the generation as the numbers rise. When they fall it will be a short and sharp drop heading into the following gen. If they had early warning they could shift direction. But it'll be only after the public perception has turned against them for a period of time the numbers show a downward trend that takes years to dig out of. By then MS will be the monopoly and start playing ugly.

NEStalgia

LtSarge

I've been trying so hard to be composed these past few weeks with regards to all the negative news on Sony, but this has pushed me over the edge: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/some_ps3_games_suppos...

Why is all of this happening in secret? Games are being delisted from the stores, certain PS3 games are no longer taking patches, what the hell is going on? I've been worried this entire time that due to the closure of the PS3 store that you wouldn't be able to download patches either, which Sony hasn't said anything about yet. And now this happens. I still have dozens of PS3 games that I need to put the disc in and make sure they're updated to the latest patch. Considering how buggy a lot of games were that generation, you definitely need to update your games.

Now I'm going to have to spend the entire day going through my backlog, opening unsealed PS3 games and potentially spend hours downloading patches because this company is awful at communicating with its user base.

EDIT: I've noticed that when I try to update certain games, while in the middle of downloading the patches, I'll suddenly get an error and have to restart the update. This is fine with games that have small patches but with games that are several GB in size, this is a major pain. I tried downloading patches that were 2.5 GB for a game, and around the halfway point through the download I would always get an error. I'm guessing the longer the download takes, the more the risk of it failing to download increases. What an absolute mess.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic