Forums

Topic: Official PlayStation Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 244

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano He had somewhat of a point saying backwards compatibility isn't necessarily a system selling thing that will be embraced by absolutely everyone and used to the fullest extent, but he clearly missed the point about how much game preservation matters to people, especially at present

It's why stuff like emulating old games, hacking consoles to play older games or even collecting older consoles in general has a dedicated following. In that area even though there are places where Microsoft could improve, especially in regards to the original Xbox library, for the most part they've been wiping the floor with Sony in regards to ensuring older games carry over to newer generations. The idea that people wouldn't want to play older games just because they look worse or aged is incredibly narrow minded in the first place and I hope they received enough backlash from that to reconsider that area since they used to take BC so seriously up to the Vita

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

@TheFrenchiestFry Apologies for replying so late! I've been studying for an exam for today and it's been taking up so much of my time.

Man I'm jealous of how many great games the NA store has that the EU one doesn't, like the Chrono titles, Legend of Mana (although it's being remastered for the Switch now, which is great!), Parasite Eve, Legend of Dragoon etc. The EU store only has Parasite Eve 2 for some reason and I'm guessing it's not really worth playing it if you haven't played the first one first.

Have you by any chance played the Klonoa game on PS1? I'm aware there's a remake on Wii but a used copy is seriously so expensive so I might as well just buy the original on Vita for €5 if it's any good.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge The NA store has a lot but there are still things on the EU store I'm baffled are taken off of the other regions

For some reason the EU store still has the PS1 Classics release of Metal Gear Solid but here we have every other Metal Gear game released on Vita/PSP EXCEPT MGS1, including VR Missions since I think MGS1 was taken off some time in 2017 or 2018 with no indication

I have played the Wii Klonoa game and I'm probably going to snag the PS1 version since it is definitely one of the more underrated platformers I've played. It looks childish on the surface but has a lot of bizzare, almost nightmarish imagery that you wouldn't really expect out of a mascot platformer for the time

Also just Parasite Eve 2 is a bummer. I think we still have both but I always found the selective regional libraries very appalling for particularly the older non-Vita titles like PS1 Classics and PSP games. We in NA also never got the PSP remakes of Final Fantasy I and II but we got the PSP port of the FFIII remake that came out on DS as well as FFIV Complete, both Dissidia games and Tactics WotL in addition to the PS1 Classics versions of all the PS1 games including FF Origins which also had FFI and II bundled together

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

@TheFrenchiestFry I didn't know that MGS was taken off, that sucks. Kinda random, but hopefully we'll see a remake of the first MGS in the near future though.

Lol that sounds like something I'd enjoy since I love bizarre things in video games. I think I'll be getting Klonoa then, I just needed some input about it to convince me since I was already fairly interested in playing it. There's apparently a GBA game on the Wii U eShop as well, so if I find the first one good then I might get the GBA title as well.

The PSP remake of Final Fantasy I is a delight, but the same can definitely not be said about FFII. There's a reason people call it the black sheep of the FF series, it's just really bad. Besides the different progression system, I remember many times where I'd enter a dungeon and not be allowed to leave. Sometimes I was under-leveled or didn't have enough healing items (e.g. against darkness, poison etc.) and simply couldn't progress in the dungeons. I was stuck for a long time but eventually I managed to beat the dungeon and was allowed to leave, but yeah this game just isn't that fun to play due to how unforgiving it is.

LtSarge

LtSarge

So apparently Klonoa has been removed from the PS Store. I've checked both the Vita and PS3 stores and the game just isn't there anymore, at least not in the EU stores. I tried googling about it but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it was being removed. I'm very certain that it was there a month or two ago since I was frequently visiting the Vita store at that time looking for some more PS1 titles to buy and Klonoa was still there. I wonder why it was removed, maybe it had something to do with the rumour of the PS stores being shut down? Either way, this really sucks, I really wanted to play this game.

LtSarge

dmcc0

@LtSarge I bought Klonoa a month or so ago on the PS3 store so it was definitely there.

dmcc0

LtSarge

@dmcc0 Yeah that's what I thought. I genuinely believed I went insane for a moment there because I could swear the game was available for purchase on PS3/Vita. So weird that it isn't anymore, hopefully this won't become an ongoing trend or something with other games.

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge I actually still own my physical copies of both FFI and II on PSP

I've been trying to binge the games in preparation for XVI since there were still outliers I had yet to play like II and Lightning Returns, but having finished II now I don't think I've encountered an RPG that makes grinding for experience and progression any more tedious than that game. I assume this kind of game would work better on platforms like PSP where it's easier to put the game down but not helping things is the story being surprisingly flat and just generally unengaging which adds a level of tedium to how progression works. The only thing II really deserves credit for is introducing the Chocobo

TheFrenchiestFry

LtSarge

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/03/sony_confirms_ps3_ps_...

Well now it's been confirmed, PS3, Vita and PSP stores will be closed this summer. I'll have to set aside sometime in June to browse through the PS3 and Vita stores and see if there are any more games I'll need to buy. I did the mistake of not doing that with the Wii Shop Channel and now I can't buy games like LostWinds: Winter of Melodias, which apparently was an absolute hidden gem among the WiiWare titles. I definitely have my eyes set on Siren Blood Curse and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows for now, but maybe I should be buying these games earlier considering that Klonoa was recently removed from the PS stores. Who knows what other titles will be removed way before the closure. I don't think people realise just how many amazing PSN exclusive titles there are, like Tokyo Jungle and rain, that people will never be able to buy again. Not to mention all the PS1 titles but also several PS2 games on PS3 such as Suikoden III and IV, whereof the former is apparently the best in the series. So I'll have to remember to snag that one as well.

But the key takeaway from this is how late Sony distributed this news. I mean, the PS3 store will be closed in just three months! At least Nintendo had the decency to announce the closure of the Wii Shop Channel almost 1.5 years in advance: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16385622/nintendo-wii-shop...

Let that sink in for a moment.

LtSarge

LtSarge

@TrueAssassin86x Because it takes a long time to go through thousands of games, especially when the only option to do that now is through the systems' extremely slow stores, and looking up reviews/gameplay footage of them in order to figure out if I should get them or not. So as it stands, I don't really have the patience to do that now when I have other things to focus on before summer break.

But like I said, I might buy games that I'm already eyeing like Siren Blood Curse. I just don't like spending too much money at one time and I've already been buying a fair amount of games on Wii U eShop since I've been dreading its imminent closure as well.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

TrueAssassin86x

@LtSarge
Well forget that idea i just want to my console ps3 and i cant buy anything. Damn sony fed up big time

Fan of games not consoles.

Xbox Gamertag: TrueAssassin86x

LtSarge

@TrueAssassin86x You can't buy anything from the PS3 store? Is the problem that you simply can't add the games or that you can't add funds? Because if I remember correctly, I got an email from Sony late last year stating that you won't be able to add funds with credit cards or PayPal on the PS3, PSP and Vita stores starting from 2021 due to some new EU law. But I see that you live in the States, which makes this weird.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

TrueAssassin86x

@LtSarge
Ok i can buy stuff sorry i was looking for the purchase button like Ps4 but u click on the item to buy it. I'm adding stuff to my cart till payday.

Fan of games not consoles.

Xbox Gamertag: TrueAssassin86x

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm genuinely surprised the Vita Store lasted this long

Considering how eager Sony were to brush it under the rug the fact it basically lived out a full lifecycle despite the lack of major support past the first two-three years is astounding

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Honestly the MLB Game Pass thing is a win for both Sony and Microsoft if you really think about it

Game Pass is just another avenue Sony gets to show off their game while making Microsoft's service more valuable, but I assume SIE will still be getting a cut of the profits made from this game on Xbox given it's a first party title technically speaking

If anything putting the game on Game Pass ensures that it's going to probably have the widest reach of anything they've made with this license

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

BAMozzy

@TheFrenchiestFry Makes sense to me - a Franchise with absolutely no history on Xbox, no community etc - Give it away on Game Pass for a few months, get people playing and then buy it at a discount when its removed - Maybe more will buy it than would of on day 1...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

LtSarge

I'm just flabbergasted that so many PS1 games have been removed from the PS stores and barely anyone has reacted to this. Klonoa, Arc the Lad 1-3 and Alundra are the ones I've noticed that have been removed this past week. I'm so glad that I managed to buy Alundra in time, that game is definitely a hidden gem since it's pretty much a 2D top down Zelda clone but on PS1.

I guess once games like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid are removed, then that's when people will start to react.

LtSarge

LtSarge

I just can't believe what a mess this is. Yesterday night I finally had enough and decided to simply buy the two games that I really wanted to get on PS3/Vita. I went to the Vita store, bought Corpse Party: Book of Shadows and the transaction was made without any issues. Then I went to the PS3 store to buy Siren: Blood Curse and I kept getting "An error has occurred" message without an error code. At first I thought it was because I hadn't updated my credit card information, so I updated it and I still get the same message. Then I thought it was because of that message from late last year stating that you wouldn't be able to add funds directly in the store anymore due to a new EU law. But as I just mentioned, I literally went to the Vita store, added funds and bought Corpse Party without any issues. So why wouldn't that work then on PS3?

Finally I thought maybe it was because I had 2-step verification on that was messing things up, so I disabled it yesterday and for some reason, the PS3 store said that it's undergoing maintenance. At first I thought I had extremely bad luck that Sony would implement maintenance now of all times. But the thing is that this morning, I went and disabled 2-step verification again and as soon as I did that, it now says that the store is undergoing maintenance again! So it can't be a coincidence, whenever I remove 2-step verification I keep getting a message about maintenance.

This is just so stupid. On top of Sony removing the ability to purchase PS3/Vita/PSP titles from the web store, and that companies are now actively removing their PS1 titles from the store, I can't even make a purchase on the PS3 store because of all these errors.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

TheFrenchiestFry

@LtSarge Klonoa definitely got a reaction

Honestly can't believe Sony thought people WOULDN'T notice

Now I'm practically in a rush to get as many of those Final Fantasy games onto my Vita as possible, in addition to MGS VR Missions because those probably already have a timer on them

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic