Forums

Topic: Last Game You Beat

Posts 281 to 300 of 568

ralphdibny

@themightyant oooo nice! Sounds decent! I do have a couple 24 inch monitors I can lug around with me. I took my One X + a monitor down to Cornwall with me a year or two ago. Was well worth doing to keep me busy!

@Lavalera I think when I was a kid, I was mainly into the classics like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Mario, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Command and Conquer, Sim City 2000, Theme Hospital, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and later on, Crash Bandicoot, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell and even later on when I was an adult, things like Uncharted. So at various times when I have got back into gaming, I've stuck to the franchise's I know and or games by the same/similar developers.

While I've tried a few things outside of my comfort zone over the years, I would say that Game Pass and to an extent PS Plus, have broadened my choice of game. Mainly because there's not a lot to lose money wise if I'm already subbed. Even though I could lose a lot of time 😅

One game (and RPG) I actually hated but still played for about 100 hours last year because I'm super stubborn and like to finish games, was the first Borderlands. I think I missed the point by playing it alone but I found the game sooo boring!

See ya!

RR529

Stray (Steam)

• One day four cats are chillin' around exploring & living their best life, however an orange kitty (that's you) slips off a pipe and falls into a facility known as "Walled City 99". It's a post apocalyptic affair, with sentient robots struggling to survive, and hints of a human population that's long since vanished.
    Untitled
    "Hey, where you going?"
  • Determined to find a path back to the outside world, you'll lead your kitty through a largely linear adventure largely involving some sort puzzle platforming, though there are a couple of open areas as well (these tend to be safe zones of sorts, where you'll interact with the robotic denizens & take on tasks, some optional, to help them out in your quest to escape).
    Untitled
    Metal Gear Cuddly (you even get to hide in boxes!)
  • Early on in the adventure you'll team up with a mysterious drone who has many uses (he acts as translator when reading signs/talking to robots, has a flashlight for dark areas, is your inventory, can interact with computer terminals, and also has one or two other temporary uses which I won't spoil).
  • There isn't much in terms of side content, with the largest activity being the acquisition of "Memories", which reveal more about the world & what happened to it. 5 of them you'll get automatically just by playing through it, though there are usually 2 or 3 hidden off path during each linear segment, and a whole bunch hidden in out of the way locations in the open segments (the vast majority). You don't need to worry about them until the drone joins up with you though, as only he can access them (I obtained all but two). Otherwise there are some optional activities you can undertake to help out the robots, like collecting music sheets for a musician, though other than adding a little color to the world these serve no purpose (though I think you get pins, which are added to your kitty's vest, as you complete them).
  • It does go out of it's way to make you feel like a cat, whether it be the controversial jumping system (where you can only make precise, calculated jumps to areas the cat knows it can reach) which I didn't have issue with, the ability to meow, and designated areas where you can nap, scratch furniture, nudge a robot's legs, and knock stuff off surfaces (some of which are used to solve problems).
    Untitled
    "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"
  • The kitty stuff absolutely can be cute at the right times, but I am quite surprised at how wholesome & cute the game's reputation as a whole is. Don't get me wrong, the world is absolutely interesting & there is some humor peppered here & there, though it's dour & sombre more often than not, & there are even a couple areas that nearly go all in on a zombie apocalypse like vibe (not gory, but would still be nightmare inducing for younger players I'd imagine, but I don't want to get too detailed for fears of spoiling).
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Not so warm & fuzzy (it gets worse).
  • It's an absolutely gorgeous game graphically too, with a presentation that stands alongside some of the best looking AAA titles I've played. I've heard it can be a bit glitchy, but I really didn't have that experience myself (just one instance where I could jump to a platform that no longer existed, which was more funny than anything).
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Various shots, ending with a pretty glitchy kitty.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Markatron84

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge; great fun with a friend and a real love letter to the Turtles and the old arcade games.

Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope. Third time through, still love it.

Markatron84

Xbox Gamertag: Markatron84

voxshrapnel

It took me a while to find something post-Elden Ring but I recently beat Nier: Automata and Tales of Arise.

I thought Nier: Automata lived up to the hype in terms of atmosphere, sound and storytelling. But I've got to admit that I changed the difficulty to Easy during the final stages. I just found the combat a bit tedious towards the finale. That was pretty much my only criticism though – and I still enjoyed most of the combat!. I was genuinely moved by the game's ending, and if you still haven't played it I'd try and go in with as few spoilers as possible!

I also beat Tales of Arise, which was a mixed bag for me. In terms of presentation, the entire game felt spectacular. The OST, the crisp visuals, the imaginative and vibrant world design, the outfits and weapons and the main character designs all really impressed me. The combat was snappy and fun, and it felt like a real high quality product for the first 80% of the game.

However, without going into spoilers, the story shifts for the last 20% of the game's runtime and I thought it was pretty terrible – especially as I'd really enjoyed the story before, trope-y as it was. Obviously subjective but, yeah, it really left me sour on the whole experience by the time credits rolled.

Onto The Evil Within for me, now! Happy gaming all.

Gamertag: voxshrapnel

Lavalera

@voxshrapnel Nier Automata and Tales of arise for me both are some of my favorite games, with Tales of Arise personally being my favorite game i played last year. You are certainly not alone in the criticism on the last part of the game. I hear that criticism from a lot of players who like the game as a whole but dont like that last 20/25 % of the game. I agree the last part isn't as good as the first part, but for me personally it didn't went so far down that i didn't enjoy it anymore. But yeah as you said for some people it's fine and for some it can ruin the game. To bad that last part kinda ruined the rest of the experience for you.

PSNid: Lavalera

sife4812

SNIPER 4....GREAT GAME AND VERY TOUGH WHEN U TURN UP DIFFICULTY. I HAVE PLAYED THEM ALL....LOVE THIS ONE BEST.....

sife4812

voxshrapnel

@Lavalera Thanks for reading! just found that final bit frustrating because the main plot was really enjoyable – how could you not root for a band of misfits fighting for justice in a class-driven world otherwise devoid of it? I thought the party progression was quite sweet too – it was rewarding to see your team transforming from anime archetypes into much more fleshed out characters (especially with the final two you recruit!). It all got a bit preposterous for my tastes at the end, but I can totally understand why people would enjoy the fact they upped the ante to crazy levels! Part of the JRPG charm for some. It was my first Tales game and I liked it enough to try out Tales of Vesperia soon.

@Balta666 Sorry, yes, Ending E! I'm really glad I went in without any spoilers. I don't often find myself moved by stories in video games but that one left me with a lump in my throat and a lot to think about.

Lup

Gears of War Ultimate Edition. The only one I have beaten since I got my Series S. I'm having a really hard time focusing on just one game having Game Pass for the first time.

Lup

Lavalera

@Lup I know that problem. For me it was exactly the same during the first months of the series S with gamepass. There are a lot of games i tried out for a few hours, but then tried a new game etc etc. I had to switch that when i also got my first ever playstation with the PS5. Since then i switched it up and started to keep track of which games i'm playing, if i finished them and what i thought about them. Since then there was also 1 game i didn't finish and the rest i at least finish the story. I also make a top 10 next to play list to keep myself sane with the games i still need to play. For me these steps helped me to keep my head straight and focus more on 1 game at a time per system.

voxshrapnel

Speaking of GamePass, I recently beat The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2 within a week (was housesitting for someone in the countryside so wasn't much else to do!). I've never considered myself a horror game fan, but I loved 'em both. I'd urge you to check the series out – especially 2 as it's under-played and under-appreciated.

The first Evil Within is certainly all over the shop, and seems to flit from idea to idea on a whim. I can see why people find it a bit of a mess but I really enjoyed the nightmare quality of the whole experience. It had some BS instant death traps and some bland lead characters, but I eventually found it to be an absorbing circus of horrors with enjoyable, emergent gameplay. It has a really strong visual identity and splatterhouse, nasty vibe.

It may have sold terribly but The Evil Within 2, to me, is a much stronger game overall. The faux-open world was visually arresting and I love the David Lynch vibe of the crumbling Americana-inspired suburbs that you get to explore – right down to drinking coffee to restore health! The story was far more focussed, Sebastian was a character I ended up caring about and I thought the game's environments – that mirror the psyches of Seb and the characters you meet, Silent Hill-style – were incredible. I also found the core shooting/sneaking gameplay to feel considerably better and the entire game felt of a better quality than the first.

If you've played them, what do you think? I'd also recommend the Cane and Rinse podcast episodes on both of the games if you want something to listen to.

Have great weekends, all.

Lup

@Lavalera
I do have a list! But well... I guess it'll take a little time for me to get used to.
Finished Gears 2, so that's two games finished already.
Not a big fan of shooters but the games are cool.
Thanks for sharing, man!

Lup

Lavalera

@Lup np m8. I hope you'll figure it out with the list. Have fun with your xbox and the gears series and whatever other games youre going to play. Enjoy!

Lavalera

I just finished Solasta crown of the magister. A pretty fun isometric rpg game. Based on dungeons and dragons 5e rules. Never really played d&d much, like 1 session years ago lol. So it was a bit getting used to, but in principle it's basically a tactics rpg. The story was good but nothing ground breaking and the voice acting was kinda over the place, but still I enjoyed my time with it.

Lup

What Remains of Edith Finch. I wasn't even interested in the game until I read some comment here on PureXbox saying people should play it and that it was pretty short.
I got up today (no work), started playing it and just finished.
It was a cute little game.
I don't remember whose comment was that I read, but thank you!

Lup

Lavalera

@Lup good to hear you enjoyed Edith Finch. I also played it for the first time last month without knowing much of it except it got good reviews. And it surprised me. All the original and fun ways to tell the story of the Finch family were so put well together. Truly an indie gem. It's the kind of game which is hard to explain why it's that good but once you played it you're impressed. I'm so glad we can experience a lot of those good indies through gamepass and ps plus

Lup

@Lavalera

Indeed, I was very into it since the beginning. It was very original. If you think about it, the story itself was good but nothing that special, but the way it's told and presented makes it a very unique experience. I wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't for Game Pass, but I'm glad I did.

BTW, how long was Solasta? I'm not planning on playing it right now but I tried it for a while and I kinda liked it.
I kinda like D&D stuff, more specifically systems-related stuff. I know it's kind of weird but that game scratched that itch.

Lup

Lavalera

@Lup depends on how you play, I didn't do many side stuff and went through it in around 40ish hours. I'm not the fastest gamer and not that well known with d&d systems so some battles dragged on a bit longer than they should have. If your more well known the story should be doable in 35ish hours with side stuff a fair bit more.

For me it was more a trial and error game since I am interested in the Divinity original sin games after all the good stories, but never really played much of this type of game except for a bit of baldurs gate 1 or 2 I think with my brother years back. Back then I had trouble getting into rpgs, now it's what I play most, whether it's jrpg, crpg or big open world adventure games with rpg elements.

Lup

@Lavalera

Oh, sh#t, that's a lot more than I was expecting! I thought it was gonna be a 15-20ish hours game. Nothing wrong with being long. I love my games being long and I love open-world games too, but I was looking for something shorter right now.
Thanks for the answer! I'll probably wait a bit more to tackle this one.
I think I have Divinity 2 on PS4 but haven't tried it yet.

Lup

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic