Forums

Topic: E3 2015 - what are we hoping for?

Posts 1 to 20 of 25

PeTitosaurus

Untitled

What are you looking forward to? What would you like to see?

Personally, I'm mostly in it for the shows - I like the best show competition between the companies. Who had the best presentation? Who had the best reveals?

I'm well aware that Rockstar doesn't really do E3, but any hints of a new Red Dead Redemption is high on my list of things I want to see and will be until I actually get it.

I'm not feeling very creative this year, so I'm all about already established franchises. I guess I wouldn't cry if a new Mass Effect was on the reveal roster as well. It's a game I miss from time to time and I had so much fun with the multiplayer hoard mode.

Edited on by PeTitosaurus

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

DesiccantOwl

I'm totally waiting for EA to drop the Mass Effect bomb. It's probably my #1 game for E3 at the moment and after the teasers we've had in the form of the ViDoc at E3 2014 and several tweets I'm really confident that we'll at least see some concept art.

After that it's a mixed bag, I'm excited by Star Wars: Battlefront (EA) and The Division (Ubisoft) as AAA titles go but also interested in ID@Xbox titles such as Cuphead (Studio MDHR) and more information on Below (Capybara)

Also interested in what Microsoft's gold exclusive is. Here's hoping @superkmx is right and it is Elite: Dangerous for instant download at the conference. If so, I'm taking the opportunity in the downtime between briefs to play a bit...in between all the news writing of course

DesiccantOwl

Xbox Gamertag: DesignateTurian | Twitter:

Red620Ti

I'm all about dem Gears, 'bout dem Gears, no Locust!

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

BAMozzy

MS briefing is interesting and some good announcements. Wasn't keen on Halo 5, ReCore was a surprise but want to see more - BACKWARDS compatibility and can download digital titles from 360 to XB1!! A scuff like controller - free EA Access this week, Fallout 3 free with Fallout 4 (although I do still have my 360 copy...) The Division and early beta access, free Rainbow Six games with Seige, Rise of the Tomb Raider game play, preview programme including Day-Z.... RARE REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!! 30 classics - a definite buy! a new Rare game - Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends (not overly interested but F2P...), A partnership with Valve VR and Oculus Rift (not interested in VR myself), Minecraft for Hololens - certainly looks interesting - especially if the 'holograms/images look solid and not see through, GoW Remastered (no surprises there but you can access the MP beta) - disappointed its NOT the trilogy, Think if anything I will stick with the Backwards compatibility version A new GoW - looked interesting!

Backwards compatibility is a big one especially with all these remasters and liked the look of the new 'scuff' type controller too.

At the ID@Xbox bit now and can't say anything has grabbed my attention - some interesting concepts and some interesting artstyles too but nothing so far that I would pay money for - yes I know others might like them and look forward to them but this is my opinion...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Tasuki

Backwards compatibility. . Looks like I will be getting an Xbox One buy years end now.

We'll played MS well played.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Red620Ti

I think Microsofts Hololens was astounding. Even my four year old son said "Thats amazing!" (hes a big Minecraft fan)

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

BAMozzy

Red620Ti wrote:

I think Microsofts Hololens was astounding. Even my four year old son said "Thats amazing!" (hes a big Minecraft fan)

That Hololens demo was great. I can't believe how 'solid' everything looked. My biggest concern has always been seeing things through the image. Even the projected image on the wall looked great too - like having a wall mounted TV. A LOT more potential and wider application than VR!

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BAMozzy

From Sony's briefing, I was impressed by Horizon and Uncharted 4 but a little disappointed by the rest (not counting 3rd Party Multi Platform games) Most didn't come with a release date, they showed off The Last Guardian - which didn't look that different to its first reveal, A weird art game called 'Dreams', A kickstarter for Shenmue 3, TV vue and a bit on Morpheus (but Hololens demo was FAR more impressive). The 3rd party games looked good - particularly Star Wars: BF (although no more so than the EA reveal), Batman: Arkham Knights PS timed exclusive content and Destiny too. Also announced was Call of Duty has moved to PS too. Much of what was shown overall did nothing for me personally - FF7, AC: Syndicate, Hitman, World of FF, Disney Infinity, No Mans Sky, SF5...) but Horizon (new IP from Killzone developers) looked great and Uncharted 4 - just WOW - best car chase in a video game???

sorethumbed

BAMozzy wrote:

Red620Ti wrote:

That Hololens demo was great. I can't believe how 'solid' everything looked. My biggest concern has always been seeing things through the image. Even the projected image on the wall looked great too - like having a wall mounted TV. A LOT more potential and wider application than VR!

If we are talking about the video, was it a demo, was it real? It could just be a concept video and the reality may be vastly different.

Edit..
I just watched the briefing video, that's not real. It's a visualisation. You don't know that that's what he is actually seeing.

Edited on by sorethumbed

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

BAMozzy

sorethumbed wrote:

BAMozzy wrote:

Red620Ti wrote:

If we are talking about the video, was it a demo, was it real? It could just be a concept video and the reality may be vastly different.

Edit..
I just watched the briefing video, that's not real. It's a visualisation. You don't know that that's what he is actually seeing.

That's a camera looking through a hololens and according to those that have used it, that's very accurate to how it looks.

BAMozzy

I think every briefing had something of interest to me apart from Nintendo's - Mainly as I don't have a Nintendo console anymore. This is my summary and how I felt about this years E3 - just my opinion and i appreciate that others like different things and have different opinions....

Bethseda kicked it off with Doom and Fallout 4. Dishonoured 2 looked interesting but I didn't find the first that great. I don't know what it was about the first as it should have worked for me - Steampunk setting, Assassinations, superpowers etc but I couldn't get into it so the 2 Dishonoured titles didn't rock my world as much as they may have for others.

MS/Xbox kicked off with Halo 5 but the campaign seemed odd for a Halo game and I really don't think 343 have captured the feeling that Bungie gave us. ReCore looked interesting but not enough shown to get excited. Rare Replay is almost an historic collection of my life in gaming but Rares other game didn't appeal - not into the concept myself. GoW4 showed that new developers at least had a good idea of what a GoW game should be and alleviated some fears. Forza 6 looked and delivered as expected. Rise of the Tomb Raider looked great though and nice to see some actual game play. Of the 3rd Party multi-platform games, we had another look at Fallout 4 and the Division which are of interest, Rainbow Six Seige which I felt indifferent too and PvZ:GW2 and DSouls3 which are not games I have interest in. From a console perspective, MS announced Backwards compatibility with games (not all - similar to the 360 was) but can allow cross gen MP play. They also announced a new 'scuff' type controller too. The Hololens demo looked incredible!

EA's briefing revealed a CGi Mass Effect tease - not a surprise but as a fan of the Franchise, its a game I want. However the only other game I had any interest in was Star Wars: Battlefront which was shown off at the end. Considering myy apprehension with the lack of content compared to previous BF games, the game play looked great and raised my interest - and again during Sonys briefing

Ubisoft was always going to be a bit 'Meh' for me as I am not a fan of their franchises. Having already seen the Division I wasn't expecting anything to grab my attention but the Ghost Recon Wildlands did.

Sony's had a few 'exclusives' that really don't appeal. I know they maybe popular and enjoyed/wanted by many but I couldn't care less about the Last Guardian when it was first shown off and wouldn't have bought it for my PS3. Shenmue 3 was an advert for Kickstarter - which I found bizarre - I don't understand why Sony didn't back it themselves and announce it - not that I enjoyed the first anyway. FF7 and the franchise in general is another one that doesn't appeal either. TV Vue and Morpheus are also of no interest. Uncharted 4 though - WOW - just WOW!!! that looked insane, brilliant, wow, epic, awesome, wow, crazy good, WOW. Horizon: Zero Dawn - probably the best new IP reveal of 2015 for me! Another game that looked incredible and left me really wanting to find out more and can't wait to delve into that world they created! Sony also showcased a few 3rd Party multi-platform games too and looking forward to playing. Obviously Destiny was expected but we got to see the new Subclasses and that looked great, Batman revealed a bit of the Scarecrow mission (less than a week to go - can't wait!!!), I got to see a bit more of Star Wars: BF and that raised my interest a bit more and of course the big Call of Duty announcement too.

Square Enix did show me a bit of Deus Ex and Nier looked interesting but again not enough to see if it lives up to the promise. Just Cause 3 had a big showcase but after the repetitive and mindless nature of 2, I can't get excited about 3 - Its one of those I might get in a quiet period to go on a destructive rampage for an hour or so every once in a while....

So from my perspective - every briefing had 'something' I was interested in and gave me something to look forward too. I know that it would be impossible to please everyone with every game as we all like different things so I really didn't expect every bit of news to appeal. Overall I saw enough to keep me happy and more games than I can afford. All this before the more game focussed events like Gamescom too where I expect quite a few games that didn't make E3 will be making an appearance as well as more game play, info etc on the games I liked from E3 .

sorethumbed

BAMozzy wrote:

sorethumbed wrote:

BAMozzy wrote:

Red620Ti wrote:

Edit..

That's a camera looking through a hololens and according to those that have used it, that's very accurate to how it looks.

Well, if that's the case, colour me astounded. Probably be mega bucks though! 😡😡😡

BAMozzy

@sorethumbed http://gizmodo.com/i-played-minecraft-with-microsofts-hololen... a report on Hololens - it's a true representation but not without a few 'issues' a human user would experience (as opposed to a camera...)

sorethumbed

Thanks for that. Probably still a way to go with it yet. Direction though, is correct.

BAMozzy

@sorethumbed try this video talking about Halo and Hololens...

sorethumbed

Thanks again @BAMozzy. Seems like the field of view is a bit of an issue but there again, that's probably also what is preventing any motion sickness. I'm sure that they'll be able to extend it by launch. It's probably something to do with its wireless connectivity.

BAMozzy

sorethumbed wrote:

Seems like the field of view is a bit of an issue but there again, that's probably also what is preventing any motion sickness. I'm sure that they'll be able to extend it by launch. It's probably something to do with its wireless connectivity.

It just shows though that the actual technology and quality of the image is accurately represented. Its still early on in its development too so if the general consensus is that the field of view and letterbox image is an issue then no doubt MS will look at expanding on it. Based on the number of articles mentioning it, I guess its safe to assume that MS are aware of it too. As far as I know its still technically in a 'prototype' stage. It seems as though they have locked in the design now so I guess its going to come down to refining and improving the technology inside.

sorethumbed

I read some stuff somewhere from the link you gave that suggested that the FOV was not an issue in the original tests (when the device was wired to a standalone confuser) so it is probably a capacity issue in the device.

sorethumbed

Here is another More 'grounded' view from someone who tried it at the show. He liked it but actually states that the reality is vastly different from the concept video that Microsoft provided. Another site stressed that you needed a low light environment as well (think TV demos in shops as opposed to the reality of TVs in your house).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/18/microsoft-h...
Like I said, early days and you can't really believe what you saw. What a fixed camera can see and process is not the same as your eyes. I'm sure it'll get there, not convinced we're anywhere close to that yet.

I'm not too bothered by a field of view problem as long as it's not too great. I mean, when you watch a monitor or TV, you can still see the real world and that doesn't detract from it does it. As long as it's not like watching a 19" monitor from the other side of the room.

Edited on by sorethumbed

PeTitosaurus

As it is now, I have more faith in AR than in VR, to be honest. VR seems like it's heading down the 'gimmick' route, kind of in the same way as Kinect did. I'm of course interested to see where it all ends up, but I doubt it's the future of gaming. As it stands now and where it seems to be heading it's too exclusive, too much effort and too expensive. I think Microsoft were cleaver to go for the Hololens type of headset - all while teaming up with the 'best on the market' for the VR experience, as to not miss out in case it actually does kick of.

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.