Forums

Topic: Your personal Game of the Year 2022 (and an extra GOTY for an old game you beat this year)

Posts 1 to 20 of 30

HarmanSmith

So, it's that time of the year again, friends!

But let's give it a twist: name your GOTY for a game released in 2022 so far AND name another game you have played this year from your backlog that, for one reason or another, you played it and beat it until this year.

For me, GOTY 2022 so far would be a toss between Shredder's Revenge (I notice that one is my most played game of the year) and Kirby and the Forgotten Land (maybe it's because I played it and gave me a much needed relief during my Covid-19 convalescence in june). Although it well may be A Plague Tale: Requiem (but I haven't finished yet).

One game I always wanted to play was The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. So, I played it and beat it this year and loved every minute of it. One of my favorite games in the series.

So, I would like to read your opinions.

HarmanSmith

Xbox Gamertag: GarcianSmith

Tasuki

Shredder's Revenge without a doubt is my GOTY. That game was just done perfectly.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Banjo-

@HarmanSmith Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games, you have good taste, and that reminds me that this year, I played Ocarina of Time in HD 60fps on Wii U (unofficial port) and, although I played it when I was a kid for the first time on Nintendo 64, this 60fps port was the best gaming experience of the year. To tell you my Game of the Year 2022 I need to check first.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Gamer83

Shredders' Revenge is my Game of the Year, without question. Bayonetta 3 and God of War: Ragnarök get honorable mentions.
A game I never played until this year that I really loved was NieR: Automata. Had it on PS4 but never played it to completion. Traded it in at one point. Decided to re-buy it for Switch this year and really give it a fair chance. It's one of my favorite JRPGs ever.

Gamer83

Lavalera

My personal game of the year in 2022 is A Plague Tale Requiem. It isn't a perfect game at all but for what it was, I enjoyed every moment of it. The story, the voice acting, the tense music and suspense while playing.

A game i wanted to play a while but held off until it came to gamepass was Persona 5 Royal. That game is my current addiction.

PSNid: Lavalera

dmcc0

It seems that the only 2022 game I've actually played this year is TMNT: Shredders Revenge, so I guess that's my game of the year 😂 Best game I've completed this year probably Esp Ra De Psi or possibly Snow Runner - which I just finished last night! If I had to choose I'd probably go for Snow Runner as I didn't expect to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did.

Edited on by dmcc0

dmcc0

Balta666

Did not finish many 2022 games but my favourite is easily kirby (my first game in the series). Also was very happy with as dusk falls.

I actually played many fantastic backlog games this year that I trully enjoyed (cyberpunk 2077, read dead redemption, Lost odyssey, Dark Souls trilogy, death's door and MGS 1-4) but by far the best is metal gear solid 3 snake eater what a masterpiece of a game!!

Edited on by Balta666

SingleStooge

Personal GoTY 2022 is Grounded.
Extra GoTY (old game not 2022) is Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

SingleStooge

NintendoByNature

Probably xenoblade chronicles 3!

NintendoByNature

Romans12

Gotta be Elden Ring for me. Honorable mentions are The Quarry and Stray.

Romans12

Fenbops

On Xbox probably Scorn. Not without its problems but I admire what they created. Had me hooked until the end and genuinely one of the best looking games I’ve played so far this gen, the art direction is phenomenal.

Not a game I’ll forget anytime soon.

Fenbops

Robervans

Hey there. Hearing about everyone's Game of the Year is always a blast. What are your most anticipated 2023 games, btw? It's sweet that you got to play both new and old games last year. I love the Zelda series too, so I'm glad you had a blast with Majora's Mask. It's interesting to see what makes a game the best for someone. If you're looking for more gaming talk, check out Skycoach and see this here ( https://skycoach.gg/blog ). Btw, what do you play now, guys? I'm currently more focused on upgrading my FIFA team. I love playing it with my brother. Anyway, let's keep this thread updated with the games we're excited to see in 2023.

Edited on by Robervans

Robervans

themightyant

Nice idea @HarmanSmith. Predictably God of War: Ragnarok for me, but probably because I didn't play Elden Ring yet (Sekiro first, i'm so slow!).

GOW:R just blew me away on almost every level. Gameplay, story, acting, graphics, sound, etc. I may have played games that were better in individual elements but nothing came close at pushing in almost EVERY area. Full on AAA blockbuster at it's very best.

Extra older GOTY is: Her Story which I played on tablet (also on PC Game Pass) on a flight in March and haven't stopped thinking about since. I actually considered giving it my GOTY. It's made by Sam Barlow the same guy as Immortality, which I will get to soon. I honestly believe I will be thinking about Her Story for the rest of my life.

Sorry couldn't leave it there too many other honourable mentions / random awards.

• Tightest gameplay: Death's Door
  • Biggest glow up: Demon's Souls
  • Best gameplay feature: Tunic
  • Biggest surprise - Tinykin
  • Biggest disappointment - High on Life
  • Favourite niche game - Escape Academy
  • Most "why do I like this?" game - Powerwash sim
  • Game that I liked but most won't - Scorn
  • Most in tune with gameplay and story: The Forgotten City
  • Biggest jaw drop for next gen graphics - Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Most hours played and can't escape. SOS need help - Genshin Impact
  • Bought but didn't get to - Too many but mostly Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Most looking forward to in 2023: Zelda: TotK and Starfield (please be great)

For all the talk of 2022 not being a vintage year, I had a GREAT time.

EDIT: And 10 of 16 of those games are/were/will be on Game Pass FTW

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

themightyant

@Fenbops Completely agree on Scorn. I had an issue where I didn't find the first decent weapon, the pistol and so went through most of the game without a good weapon. This actually ended out being great. It meant I played the game stealthily and if I retreated most enemies disappeared. Deliberate game play design? Were they never 'enemies' at all and only attacked when we invaded their territory or got aggressive first? Jury's out.

Definitely a game I won't stop thinking about. As you said art direction is phenomenal. Not that I have much idea what it was all about. But you are also right there are many problems with it, not least the brutal lack of decent checkpoints. As I said in my random awards above it's the "Game that I liked but most won't".

@HarmanSmith Did you play Majora's mask on Switch? Loved it back in the day, wonderful unique game. But got put off by the poor 3DS port that stripped some elements from the game and gave up a few years back. Should go back.

@dmcc0 Thanks for the heads up on ESP Ra.de. Psi never even heard of that but love a good shmup.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Balta666

@Robervans my most anticipated games are Zelda and Starfield but at the same time I am worried about both (Zelda because i couldnt be further from a fan o BotW as I prefer the more tight, linear and story focused of the past but as the world would be tied to the previous entry not sure they will keep the go wherever and whenever you want and Starfield because Bethesda may be trying to go for too much and managing to not excel in anything).

I will also try to remove some classics from old generations from the backlog like finishing the MGS saga which I complete to MGS 4 last year and I am now playing a lot of PS2 games (currently ratchet and Clank and have all that series gow 2, Jak and Dexter sequels, all sky Cooper, Oni, etc to go) and try to start going through some GameCube also.

Edited on by Balta666

Lavalera

@themightyant Thats actually a nice list that way. We should keep it as some sort of template for the end of this year

Glad to see I wasn't the only one not liking High on Life. I tried that and the humor was fun for about an hour and then it started to annoy me. So i quit after that. Hoped it was more fun than it was. I wouldn't call it my personal most disappointing game as i wasn't really looking forward to it.

themightyant

@Lavalera Thanks. TBH It was just finding award names for the memorable games I though deserved a shout out, so not a huge template to follow except that ethos.

I did see High on Life to credits, but disliked a lot of it, especially the gunplay and 'humour', which didn't make me laugh much at all. I did like the AA aspect (I miss janky AA games), character designs and bright zany levels. But I was looking forward to it as I thought it looked great at Xbox's not-E3 showcase, sadly it fell well short for me.

On second thoughts my biggest surprise probably should have been Steam Deck, it has relegated my Switch to exclusives only. It's 95% the handheld console of my dreams. lol

themightyant

Lavalera

@themightyant If I would travel more I would totally get a steam deck over a Switch. My wife has a Switch but it totally isn't my thing. I'm not a fan of most of the Nintendo first party franchises but can fully understand why it is so popular. The steam deck has the potential to play basically every game that can be played on pc, so for me it would have a lot more choice to play games on.

But yeah since I'm working very close to home or even some days from home I can't really get myself to buy a steamdeck and stick to my Xbox/Ps5 for now.

@Robervans My most antipicated games for 2023 are: Like a Dragon Ishin, Like a Dragon Gaiden, Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy and Starfield. It's hard to chose between these games. As a major Yakuza/Like a Dragon fan I'm hyped for both games they are releasing this year.
I played the beta of D4 and I loved what I played, so will spend a lot of hours with my wife playing D4.
I aint the biggest Harry Potter fan, but Hogwarts looks like the open world kind of magic game I like. So looking forward to that one as well. And Starfield is Skyrim in space, so whats not to like

HarmanSmith

@Lavalera Indeed! That's a nice template and I fully support the idea to use it as a template for the end of this year!

I am re-reading some of the replies because I have some comments on the mentioned games .

HarmanSmith

Xbox Gamertag: GarcianSmith

Ralizah

My 2022 GOTY: Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Such a gigantic improvement over previous games in the series. I loved the dark science-fantasy setting, the emotional storyline, the well-developed cast, the revamped combat system, the technical improvements that make it one of the best-looking games on the Switch, the stellar side content... everything. It very quickly become one of my favorite games of all time.

Runner-Up 2022 GOTY: Square-Enix's Triangle Strategy, which took the basic structure of a Tactics Ogre-style experience and improved it with some of the best map design and most well-balanced combat mechanics I've ever seen in an SRPG. The game also does an amazing job of incentivizing NG+ playthroughs, to the point where my second playthrough almost felt like a different game at times due to the number of new maps, new characters, different story beats, etc.

My Favorite Non-2022 Release: Metroid Dread. I kinda shied away from it on release because I wasn't excited to pay full retail for a 2D Metroid game, but I picked it up last year in a sale, and it really is such a stellar, polished experience all-around, and it's always fun to find a game that looks good and still runs at 60fps on Switch.

My Least Favorite Non-2022 Release: Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling. I've heard the online Paper Mario fanbase rave about this game for years as some sort of spiritual successor to the series that recaptures the magic of the older games... so I tried it. And it was such a slog. It has none of the charm or humor of the Paper Mario games. If this is what older PM fans want the series to become, then I'm truly glad Nintendo isn't listening to them.

My Favorite Non-Switch 2022 Release: From Software's Elden Ring. I'm not as gaga over this as a lot of people were, but as a long-time Souls skeptic, it's the game that finally got me properly invested in one of their releases. The Dark Souls style of game design meshes perfectly with a BotW-style minimalist open world.

My Most Anticipated 2023 Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, with Pikmin 4 close behind.

Most Disappointing 2022 Game: Splatoon 3, without question. It's not a bad game, but with barely any major new elements to differentiate it from the previous game, and with all of the connection issues it was plagued with for months after launch, it was definitely a let-down.

Biggest Surprise from 2022: Pokemon Legends: Arceus. For a series known for cookie-cutter releases and brain-dead levels of difficulty, I was shocked by PLA. It's... pretty good, surprisingly challenging, and rethinks pretty much every element of the Pokemon franchise, which led to a buttload of new QoL improvements across the board. It even runs well, unlike most other Pokemon games on Switch, despite having enormous open world-style areas to explore. Graphically, it's still pretty underwhelming, but this is probably the best thing GameFreak has ever made.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic