Forums

Topic: Your personal Game of the Year 2022 (and an extra GOTY for an old game you beat this year)

Posts 21 to 30 of 30

themightyant

I thought I would resurrect this thread for 2023 instead of making a new one and have used my same rough template.

Tightest gameplay: Spider-man 2
Biggest glow up: Dead Space
Best gameplay feature: Ship building in Starfield
Biggest surprise - Hi-Fi Rush
Biggest disappointment - Starfield
Favourite niche game - The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Most "why do I like this?" game - Starfield
Game that I liked but most won't - The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Most in tune with gameplay and story: Jusant
Biggest jaw drop for next gen graphics - Horizon: Burning Shores
Most hours played and can't escape. SOS need help - Genshin Impact (still!)
Bought but didn't get to - Mario Wonder & Mario RPG
Most looking forward to in 2024: Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

Best indie: Chained Echoes
My GOTY: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

themightyant

NintendoByNature

Hmm let me think here for myself. Might not add every category like you did
@themightyant, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts. As for me, here's a few categories I'd like to post, with some additonal categories...

Favorite Platformer: Mario Wonder
Favorite RPG: Sea of Stars
Favorite action adventure: TotK
Favorite Story: very tough one, I loved how totk transpired throughout my 130hrs, I also enjoyed Alan Wakes Story. Same with Sea of Stars. I guess with zelda being my favorite franchise ever, I'd have to go TotK.
Best Opening for a game: TotK
Best Soundtrack: Hi Fi Rush
Favorite Indie: Hi Fi Rush( nod to chained echoes as well)
Biggest Disappointment: Advance Wars 1 + 2
Favorite Nintendo Game: TotK
Favorite Xbox Game: Hi Fi Rush
GotY: TotK
Most Looking Forward To: I hate to say this, but nothing stands out. I can't think of 1 Game coming next year that I'm through the moon excited for on xbox or switch. For nintendo, PM 1000yr Door is a big one. For xbox. Maybe fable if that's even a 2024 game.

Overall, great year everyone. I hope 2024 at least has half the quality that 2023 had. At least this way, I can catch up on my backlog if it's only half 🫠

NintendoByNature

SingleStooge

My GoTY 2023 - Sea Of Stars
My GoTY (non 2023) - Elden Ring

SingleStooge

themightyant

@NintendoByNature some great games there mate, need to get to Sea of Stars soon, and PM 1000yr door is pretty high up my list for 2024. I’m sure there will be some games that grab your fancy.

@SingleStooge Yes, I like giving a best non-2023 game I played. Mines probably The Last of Us 2, it’s not for everyone but it blew me away. Still have to get to Elden Ring… I’m so slow. lol

Hope everyone’s having a good Xmas

themightyant

Balta666

Well I will keep it simple:

Favourite game release this year: Starfield (I understand it did not bring anything groundbreaking to the table, that travelling, lack of maps and transverse option suck but what I love about Skyrim is still all there and I love it for it)

Favourite game played this year for the first time: Death Stranding (I was one that said I don't want to play a Kojima's delivering simulator but oh boy how wrong I was... I adore the game even with its odd dialogue and names. Above all I kind really really like the gameplay, which I believe I kinda broke as pretty much only used vehicles from the point they were available, for instance the snowing mountains my truck managed to go everywhere with a bit of patience)

Favourite game replayed this year: Celeste (this game is an absolute masterpiece and so good to go back for a complete playthrough without cheats and including all strawberries. This is the best 2d platformer ever made and I cannot see anyone getting even close to it)

Biggest disappointment: Tears of the Kingdom (it is kind of unfair to call it that as it is in almost everyway exactly what I was expecting it to be and it has some of the best second act and ending in the series... However it is yet again everything I did not want a Zelda game to be and the dungeons are so so so bad because of the lacking in progression. The most fun I had with it was playing with material duplication glitches)

Most looking forward game: Avowed everything we have seen about it has been fairly average but I trust probably Obsidian the most at xbox to deliver something good story wise however I would say 2024 may still have quite a few surprised we do not know yet about)

themightyant

@Balta666 great list. Love it when games surprise us and blow us away. Must give Death Stranding a go but my backlog is so long! Even when I don’t love Kojima games they always have new and fresh ideas that push the industry to interesting places

Also great to hear the other side of the TotK & Starfield discussion too, you and I were completely flipped on each, always room for different views, glad you enjoyed it so much.

Fingers crossed for Avowed, I’m excited for it, but trying to keep my expectations firmly in check as I liked Outer Worlds for what it was but also thought it was a bit shallow and forgettable after. Agree there will plenty of surprises too. Roll on 2024!

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Banjo-

I will play Sea of Stars and Star Wars Jedi Survivor, but the year is ending so my game of 2023 is either Street Fighter VI or Starfield. I'm going to give it to Starfield because Street Fighter VI doesn't have my favourite character yet. Other games I considered are Hi-Fi Rush, Resident Evil 4 Remake and Dead Space Remake. The biggest disappointment of 2023 is The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, for the reasons I've explained thoroughly on other threads. I haven't played Pikmin 4 but I will. Non-2023 game of the year is Halo The Master Chief Collection or Halo 3 ODST if I can only choose one.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

xeofate

@NintendoByNature I think I'll borrow your format for my list if you don't mind:

Favorite Platformer: Mario Wonder
Favorite RPG: Baldur's Gate 3
Favorite action adventure: TotK
Favorite Story: Cyberpunk + Phantom Liberty
Best Opening for a game: Diablo IV
Best Soundtrack: Hi Fi Rush
Favorite Indie: Drainus (don't know if it came out this year but didn't play too many indies this year)
Favourite Fighting Game: Street Fighter 6
Biggest Disappointment: Starfield (however I'm starting to enjoy it now so that may change)
Favorite Nintendo Game: TotK
Favorite Xbox Game: Starfield
GotY: Phantom Liberty
Most Looking Forward To: Dragon's Dogma 2
Honourable Mentions: RoboCop: Rogue City (very fun game this one)

2023 was a top year for gaming, hopefully 2024 can live up to it

xeofate

Lavalera

My favorites:

Favorite indie game: Dave the Diver. Still playing it atm, it''s kinda cozy at certain points and at other points it's not, but it's oh so addictive.
Biggest surprise of the year: HiFi Rush. Never thought I would have so much fun with a rhythm based game.
Most played games: On my Xbox it's Diablo IV. I play it a lot coop with my wife. On my Playstation it was Marvel's Midnight Suns (one of the most underrated games of last year).
Biggest disappointment: Spiderman 2. It's not a bad game, but it wasnt great one either. It felt to safe, to samey and after i finished it I was like "ok this is it?". I didnt get the same feeling or enthusiasm as I got after playing Spiderman remastered.
Favorite Xbox game: again HiFi Rush. I liked Starfield a lot more than the general public seems to, but I just loved HiFi Rush more.
Game of the Year: Final Fantasy XVI. The Game of Thrones vibe, the flashy action combat, the epic boss fights. This game blew me away several times and just gave me the biggest pleasure.
Most looking forward to: Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. I love the Yakuza/Like a Dragon games. Playing the demo after finishing Like a Dragon Gaide made me even more curious about Infinite wealth. Luckily it's only 3 weeks away. Besides this one we have a lot of great tittles to look forward to: Granblu fantasy Relink, Ff7 rebirth, Dragons Dogma, Helblade 2 & avowed. As someone who loves RPG's its looking to be another year full of bangers.

PSNid: Lavalera

AxelGrom

WoW, WoW carry(https://epiccarry.com) and nothing but WoW, but the plot in the latest additions began to go somewhere wrong. Overall, I still enjoyed Escape from Tarkov quite well, although it’s not finished yet and there are occasional problems with the servers.

Edited on by AxelGrom

AxelGrom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic