Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🛢️Still Wakes the Deep🛢️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (Jul)

Posts 3,161 to 3,180 of 3,538

Luca91

The Yakuza series is not for me I've invested a few hours in Yakuza 0, but then I got bored and couldn't find the motivation to continue it (at least it was on gamepass so I didn't spend any money). As an avid Shenmue fan, however, I liked the setting.

Luca91

jedinite

@Luca91 yeah same. Was gonna start with Yakuza 0 after some advice. I mistakenly d/l Like a Dragon: Gaiden first. Got bored and couldn't get inspired to play. So I d/l The man who erased his name hoping for better.
Was very sloow imo and couldn't get into the vibe. I think if you have nostalgia for the series it's probably better.
Weirdly, also like you, I love Shenmue. I think the Yakuza series seem a little , hmm, idk, kinda childish by comparison.

jedinite

Bnasty0303

@Balta666 yeah im down im new to forums and stuff but this game club is really cool.

Bnasty0303

ralphdibny

@Luca91 I had the exact same feeling about Yakuza 0 when I started it. I took those feelings to the push square forums and the kind folks encouraged me to stick with it. "Keep going" they said. Even when i kept updating them with my lack of interest.

10 hours in I still hated it.

25 hours in I was on the fence.

50 hours in, I'm not sure but it's growing on me.

75 hours in, OMG I need to finish this game

100 hours in. Finished, what the hell did I just play. I freaking loved it. I need more.

8 Yakuza games later. I am here trying to pass on that same encouragement I was endowed with during Yakuza 0s choppy opening.

Yakuza Kiwami is the next game after 0 chronologically and it is rough (but thankfully short) however it's smooth sailing after that!

I think the reason why 0 is hard to gel with initially is because it's like 10-15 hours of intense and linear Japanese melodrama before it opens up and you experience the silliness that the series is known and loved for. The silliness gives the characters a charm which endears you to them which then makes makes you invested in any melodrama. So without being exposed to that endearing charm initially in Yakuza 0, or any of the games for that matter, the intense melodrama it starts with is kinda hard to follow.

I can't think of a worse game in the series to start with than Like a Dragon Gaiden, it really works as a coda to the first 8 games (including 0). It skimps on a lot (but not all) of the silliness and delivers an emotional ending that really is dependent on having experienced the events of the first 8 games or at the very least, Yakuza 4, 5 and 6.

See ya!

DoomGuy_117

I'm not sure when it will be release but....

I vote Indy as our game the month it drops. lol

GT - JohnnyUtah61
Nintendo - DarkFalco - SW - 1852-3950-9117

DoomGuy_117

@Balta666 Yeah. Avowed and Hellblade have been on my Hype list for a while.

Seeing Indy news is just a cherry the size of a truck on top.

GT - JohnnyUtah61

DoomGuy_117

@Balta666 Avowed looks so good. Indy is in good hands with Machine. Wolfenstein is fantastic.

GT - JohnnyUtah61

Bnasty0303

@Balta666 can you add we happy few? Ive never played it and they just added it back

Bnasty0303

Balta666

I have completed the game last night. As I have mentioned before this series is not for me.
The main reasons are firstly that I am not a fan of the gameplay loop and contrary to most I am not very keen on minigames. Secondly I cannot feel attached with the story and characters, after playing two games in the series I feel it extremely one note (Kiryu is a knight in a shining armour while every Yakuza in his way is a piece of ***** that betrays at every corner). And it is not that I don't like Japanese culture as I don't have problems with anime tropes.

Finally I knew about its ending prior (from a game of the year podcast and not caring about spoilers) and obviously I miss the context as I don't know many of the characters involved but it is kind of missed on me as an emotional bomb. For me there are tens of better moments in jrpg games.
But for sure if someone likes the series this is more of it so I can understand why some would love it especially as a shorter experience as the main games are quite the commit

NintendoByNature

Haven't even had a chance to fire this up yet. Got a lot on my plate gaming wise but I'm trying to clear it all up to give this a shot.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Balta666 Are any of the other gears games included? I know we did the 1st game last year, so I'm just about ready to move onto the 2nd.

If we've already done the other games, ill toss in duplicate votes for Sunset Overdrive and Solar Ash. I've voted for both of these at one point and sunset has been snagged a couple times already lol. A 3rd vote for Jusant

I'm saddened to report back that I just haven't had a chance to try out this months game and I even voted for it. With all the holiday sales I got sidetracked on both switch and xbox.

[Edited by NintendoByNature]

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic