Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 3,356

NintendoByNature

@xMightyMatt14x @Balta666 haha that's the one I did last night and was dropping some vulgarity in the process 😅. Thankfully, I only had to redo it a handful of times. Still, it was a pain though.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

crippyd

I tried this yesterday and it is not for me. I was very early on in the first level and had to do a QTE to unlock the path ahead and I just couldn't do it. Failed about 20 times and got frustrated and uninstalled the game. This one is not for me and that is the beauty of Game Pass, no lost money on a game that I didn't like.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

xMightyMatt14x

I finished the game last night. And this is the first game in at least five years that I personally would give a perfect 10 to. I loved the story and characters by the end (even though early I liked them but thought they were a little too corny). The soundtrack and gameplay are amazing to me, though I am an experienced rhythm gamer. And the colorful, fun world are a breath of fresh air in gaming. I would have probably just stuck with a 9, until I got to the last stretch between tracks 9 and 12. The story finished so strong, and I actually added the “Reflections” song to my music playlist. My favorite gaming experience in years, and having never played a Tango Gameworks game, I’m surprised at this.

xMightyMatt14x

Lavalera

@xMightyMatt14x Well it's nothing like any other Tango Gameworks games i can tell you. The Evil Within 1 & 2 are survival horror games (the studio was started by Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil). Ghostwire Tokyo is more a supernatural/spooky open world game focused around Japanese Folklore/Mythology. And then there is Hi-Fi Rush, which is completely different than the other 3 lol. The other 3 are also great games, but they are nothing alike HFR.

PSNid: Lavalera

GamingFan4Lyf

@themightyant My no context report on my Redfall playtest:

👍

I think I managed to clock in about 7 or 8 hours (yeah, I know I had a whole weekend, but...family man).

Edited on by GamingFan4Lyf

My Nintendo: Daemonrunner
PlayStation Network: Bioflare
Steam: Bioflare

Xbox Gamertag: Bioflare

themightyant

@GamingFan4Lyf Nice! I wasn't actually expecting anything even the 👍. I know what those NDA's are like!

Glad you had fun and yes 7, 8 hours is a good stint. With family i'm surprised you got so long!

themightyant

GamingFan4Lyf

@themightyant I am not allowed to share screenshots, videos, or any details about the game on social media.

However a personal impression with zero context doesn’t say much. All it says is that I liked it. 🙂

My Nintendo: Daemonrunner
PlayStation Network: Bioflare
Steam: Bioflare

Xbox Gamertag: Bioflare

xMightyMatt14x

@GamingFan4Lyf sounds like we should at least maintain excitement and not yet decide against Redfall at least. Great news!

xMightyMatt14x

xMightyMatt14x

@Lavalera that’s fair. I guess I’m mostly surprised because if you asked me three weeks ago that Tango Gameworks would release one of my favorite gaming experiences in years, I would have thought you were crazy. I know they probably won’t make it, but I would love a sequel.

xMightyMatt14x

xMightyMatt14x

@Balta666 based on sales I’d definitely hope so. But I just figured the studio likes to try new things with each game (Evil Within 2 being the only sequel) so it’s not guaranteed. But you make a good point about the small team. They could work on a sequel while also releasing a new and different game.

xMightyMatt14x

NintendoByNature

I just beat mimosa, and definitely the HARDEST part of the game so far. The last phase was a doozie.

NintendoByNature

Balta666

I have now finished the game but will go back for the extra content, at least for a bit I think. The last stretch (final two bosses) was way shorter than I was expecting and fairly simple, too be fair the only the area I struggled was the one focused on the part I suck the most.
The characters are all very likable, the dialogue fairly interesting and the gameplay altough not my jam is enjoyable. It won't be on my top of the year list and most likely I would not bought it but I am happy that I had the chance to play it.

themightyant

So I finally finished Deathloop, a few days ago actually but i've been finishing off some things and gathering my thoughts. Here's my mini-review.

First off anyone who's been following my progress will know I've had an up and down roller-coaster journey with it so far. But I come out the end having mostly enjoyed it, but with some large caveats.

What stands out most is still Arkane's brilliant rat-warren like level design. Secrets and hidden pathways are everywhere, it's a joy to explore and discover. I also really liked the immersive sim elements, the variety of choices during levels, both in terms of loadouts, powers and routes. Play how you want.

I also love Arkane's style and twisted darker worlds. So many narcissistic and hideous caricatures.

What I didn't like was the enemy AI, the loot system - i've covered this before but briefly - you get the best weapons too early and after that it's mostly annoying just going through removing all the weapons and perks you have duplicated or don't need and trashing them. It quickly becomes a chore.

I thought the whole puzzle mystery part of the game was massively oversold. I thought I was going to have to do some actual thinking and solve it, with my brain, when in fact you are lead by the hand the whole way and the 'solution' isn't that complex at all. But I liked most of the journey, if not the destination so that was OK. I can see that being very divisive if you like the journey more.

I probably could have finished it in about half the time, or less, had I realised earlier that progressing these given leads was the main part of the game, I assumed I had to figure something out, and if you ignored everything else you could likely get there in 10-15ish hours. But I was enjoying the exploration side and finding out other things. There are still a few mysteries and locked doors I'd like to know about.

So it was up and down but I thought it was a good game in the end, but also my least favourite Arkane game to date, the roguelite elements just aren't my cup of tea. However there was one thing I did like about the repetition, it gave you a sense of place and learned knowledge that you would only usually get in multiple playthroughs of other games. We discussed this a little with LiS:True Colors, it's a little different here but the sense of place allowed the player to feel a little mastery of the level design, mechanics, etc.

This learned knowledge of the mechanics and level design led to some great times by the end. I did another complete run after rolling credits where I ONLY killed the 8 bosses and none of the goons for the Clean-ish hands trophy (a play on Dishonored's 'Clean Hands' trophy for killing no one). That was enjoyable, and actually much easier than it sounded. There's still a couple more to get, but I probably won't go for the platinum. EDIT: I did

So how to score this one with so many disparate elements. At it's worst there were elements I would give a 4/10 to and at it's best some 9/10 stuff. I'll settle slightly on the higher side but still much lower than I hoped going into it.

My score: 7.5/10

Next up Hi-Fi Rush

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

R1spam

@themightyant great write up and summary of your thoughts. I was pretty disappointed with what I had played but am still interested enough to go back and give it a bit more of a try after Hi-Fi rush.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

R1spam

@NintendoByNature @Balta666 I just beat mimosa last night. It definitely took me a few goes to get the idea of how you actually fight that boss. I swear I have had the korsica boss fight tune stuck in my head for days, something about having to get everything on beat for parry sections just makes it burrow into my brain! Does Korsica give anyone else strong Karen Gillan vibes??

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

NintendoByNature

@R1spam haha yep! Definitely a tough one. I'm onto Roquefort, or actually, I just saved before heading in. With that said, I'll tackle it later tonight.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic