Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 3,372

trev666

@ralphdibny The reason why Dead space looks and plays like a 360 game is because it is a 360 game. For a game from 2008 its a great looking game

trev666

ralphdibny

Cheers all votes added!

@themightyant ahh fair enough! I think series X does like an auto HDR or an auto Dolby vision thing for games that didn't have it originally. Not sure, I get the pop up on the TV that says it's switched to HDR or DV when I boot up Dead Space. I think you can turn this off or on in the settings.

@trev666 oh yeah, I'm not arguing that it's not a great looking game for its time, or even necessarily now. I think I just thought it would have had an upgrade patch based on the way people have spoke about it. Not just here but in real life too, it's one of my colleagues favourite games and he always talking about how good it looks but then again he is playing the PC version. Another thing he says looks great is the blacks/dark spaces which I will agree look great on the OLED tele! But yeah, I'm definitely not dissing it or anything, I think the graphics just got hyped up a bit and didn't live up to the hype in my brief time with it so far.

See ya!

Dusk_Actual

Dead Space is killer, it looked good too. Everyone who hasn’t experienced it should definitely give it a whirl, if only to confirm it is/isn’t your jam.

Pretty sure it’s the first survival horror (is it survival horror? Action horror? I’m terrible at the classifications) game I played. Definitely a memorable bday gift from the wife back in 2008!

Dusk_Actual

Dusk_Actual

Ohhhh dude my vote is for Brutal Legend. Would love an excuse to play that one, never played it.

Dusk_Actual

lookupmore

I’ve gotten a good way into Dead Space now. Although I try to just play in small chunk as I find it terrifying, quite a bit of yelping coming from me! I’m happy there’s so many save points although quick resume works s treat.
Still enjoying it and it certainly doesn’t let up on the excitement factor, so many different ideas.
I just got my 4th weapon, not sure if it was needed as my inventory is not full from 4 different types of ammo.
PSA in case anyone missed it but I was at the end of Chapter 3 before I found out you can stamp on the boxes with the green light for more loot.

lookupmore

Xbox Gamertag: lookupmore

FraserG

Add my vote for Yoku's Island Express! 👍 I'll try and get involved if I can next month.

News Editor, Pure Xbox

Twitter:

TuckNorris85

Can I vote for Sniper Elite 5 please?

TuckNorris85

ralphdibny

Wow, lots of uptake now! I've added everyone's votes and it's currently a tie of 4 votes each between Yoku's Island Express and Marvel's Avengers!!

See ya!

ralphdibny

I just finished level 6 in Dead Space (train strikes today 😅) so I guess I am about half way through the game. I've sort of ended up doing a plasma cutter only run. I haven't bought any other weapons and I've fully upgraded the plasma cutter, stasis and kinesis. My suit is level 3. I've also been keeping a couple power nodes with me in case I run into locked doors that need them to open. I feel like I'm missing out by not using the other weapons but at the same time, I've done half the game like this now so maybe I should just carry on.

There is only one thing I really don't like about this game at the moment and it's the on screen orientation of the player character. I know it was a popular thing in the 360 days after Arkham Asylum but it really hurts my eyes to have the player character so far to one side of the screen for the whole game. It's like it gives me uneven eye strain. I know it's a small nitpick but I generally don't like things that hurt or affect my eyes in games (like codex entries that have white text on black backgrounds which I just can't read because the after image completely blinds me for like ten minutes). Generally, I like my characters to be either positioned centrally or at a push, slightly off centre.

@Dusk_Actual yeah it's a shame when people leave, we've had it happen a few times in the past unfortunately. I think Dead Space is definitely a survival horror game, it's like Resident Evil but more modern and less hard so probably easier for more people to enjoy!

@lookupmore I sort of found it scary at first but I'm finding it much less scary now I've gotten used to the game. Also I'm playing it in day time, or with my partner in the room at night time 😅

I've been doing a lot of stamping to conserve ammo too. Had to stamp on some unfortunate people who had turned into poison gas filled blobs in level 6 (hydroponics).

Its a bit weird that visually, there are quite a few different looking things you can open such as the upright lockers, either two or three different looks of wall mounted cabinets and these kind of rollerdoor style compartments on the floor as well as the smashable containers. Each time I opened a new one I hadn't seen before, I've wondered if there had been ones I missed because I didn't realise they could be opened!

(Edit: omg I just found a new type of floor container that can be opened in level 7, it's just a compartment with a hinged lid! FML)

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

themightyant

@ralphdibny @Dusk_Actual Always sad to see someone drop out. Hope all is ok for @Kooky_Daisuke.

Though if i'm honest I've thought about doing so before, I spend too much time here and on PS and EG, time I could actually be doing something else or actually playing games. Part of me thinks it would be a positive thing. But ultimately I like discussing games with you lot. Besides it saves me droning on about them to the family, you've all probably saved me there

@ralphdibny Interesting that you're doing a plasma only run on your first playthrough, it's one of my favourite gaming weapons, so precise and versatile. Stamping, node saving, not finding new locker types, you're doing it all right 😅 Enjoy!

themightyant

ralphdibny

@themightyant lol yeah it is a bit weird! I don't think I would have done plasma only if I hadn't seen you all talk about it really. Seems to be a good tactic to have only one or two guns that you can max out anyway.

I think the good thing about the forums is that you can drop in and out as and when, take breaks without having to delete your account etc. I do feel a bit sad when I am less active on the forums, I feel neglectful. I feel a bit sad that I don't post as much on Push Square as I used to when they are the community that welcomed me into this online forum malarkey. I don't know what the reason for it is really, I just suspect it's because I'm so busy since going back to work after all the lockdowns. I am sure nobody has taken offense to it but I wish I had more time to dedicate to keeping up with people, as much as I try to anyway.

See ya!

R1spam

I'm going to give dead space a miss, not because I don't think it's good but actually as I'm really enjoying it having played the intro and getting through the first couple of saves and just want to play the remake as it comes out without knowing the story! I don't mind that it's an early 360 game, I played Alan wake, gta4, red dead and the mass effect series in the last couple of years on an old, second hand 360 before getting a series x and those games are some of my favourite gaming experiences of recent years. I've been playing the resident evil 2 remake and the visuals are just transformative for how scary things are!! I'm hoping the dead space remake gets the same love and the updated visuals have the same impact.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

ralphdibny

Finished level 10, so just two levels left! Will probably finish it off tomorrow.

This game feels like a combination of Doom 3, BioShock and Resident Evil. I think I am sort of enjoying it. Out of those three games and Dead Space, my favourite is Doom 3. I do just love the Doom series and I enjoyed that game a lot despite its extended run time (that overstayed it's welcome in my opinion). I wasn't a huge fan of BioShock but I did sort of start to "get it" as I got toward the end of BioShock 2, too little too late though unfortunately 😅. I hate REmake with a passion, even though I do plan to actually go back and do the Chris playthrough and play the rest of the games in the series. The only RE games I've enjoyed are RE4 and RE Revelations, for a long time after its release, RE4 was in my top 10 games.

I think the monsters are quite Doom 3 like. I have moved far beyond being scared of them and just kind of enjoy their presence now. I like their designs and their jump scares make me laugh more than jump now. Which isn't a bad thing by any means.

What makes a game scary for me, perhaps so much so that they are mostly unplayable, is limited resources, limited saves (typewriter ribbon be damned) and a constant sense of dread exacerbated by the idea that I might lose a lot of progress. Also backtracking under these same conditions.

I think the only game I've been actually scared of and not because of gameplay mechanics, is probably Until Dawn: Rush of Blood on the PSVR. My partner had a good laugh at me screaming and writhing when I played that a few months ago!

I should probably add one more thing I don't like about Dead Space (but I'm sort of getting used to) is the 3D maps. I just can't stand 3D maps. I don't have the right sort of brain to decipher them and controls wise, it's not easy to orient myself on them either. That being said, I also hate a terrible 2D map and that is something that BioShock was guilty of. Completely overcrowded and paltry zoom options left me wondering where everything was when I played those games.

@Balta666 yeah, I think I just need to make more time for it really. I'm not the best at continuing conversations past the polite taking an interest stage. I occasionally feel like I have a tendency to talk about myself a lot which I'm hyper aware of so I try to consciously balance questions with anecdotes.

@jarvismp cool, vote added! I do believe you have tipped the scales!

@Clankylad oh sh---, really? Lame. I'm gutted really. I couldn't imagine losing my dogs I didn't get much chance to chat with Kooky outside this thread so I do hope they come back at some point. This place is a really good source of support for those life changing things. Wishing them all the best anyway.

@R1spam no worries! You going to be joining us for Avengers? (If it gets chosen, it's currently in the lead but who knows what could happen lol). I'm quite excited for it really, it's been on my to play list since it joined game pass.

I didn't want to buy it knowing about all the love service elements but I still really wanted to check out the campaign and all the free expansions make it seem like it's going to be a lengthy one too!

See ya!

R1spam

@ralphdibny I've been interested in it too but have never got round to it. Ive been getting back into guardians of the galaxy at the minute, im going to finish that game, even if its months after everyone else finished!! 🤣I'm not sure if the added content for marvels avengers has a single player component or if it's just the multiplayer stuff. I'd maybe be up for checking that out if it wins and others are up for it after the campaign.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

trev666

I must be telepathic as for the last 4 months i have completed the game of the month just before it was announced. I completed avengers last month

trev666

ralphdibny

@R1spam haha nice. I think I'm Gona play Guardians after I finish Dead Space. Hopefully get finished in time for the end of the Push Square Game Club. I think the Avengers stuff is single player too, guess we will find out shortly!

@trev666 haha nice. You are beating Balta's record of finishing the game within the first 2 days of the month!!

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic