Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Rise of the Tomb Raider (May)

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 3,394

NintendoByNature

Not sure what my votes are yet. I'm trying to finish up diablo 4 so I can start fallout 4. There's so much on gamepass right now and leading up to hellblade 2, I don't know how much time I'll have. Depending on what's chosen, I'll try to at least start the game picked for may, but I don't want to add a vote if I can't commit.

NintendoByNature

Pastellioli

@Balta666 I checked the games on the voting list, but I have not played or currently own any of the games except Conker’s Bad Fur Day, so that’ll be my vote!

And, I should add, that there is a remake, Conker: Live and Reloaded, which I would recommend if you either don’t have the original version or want better controls. However, it currently is not apart of Game Pass and has to be purchased separately.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

Currently playing: Rare Replay and Rise of the Tomb Raider (soon)

Xbox Gamertag: VividSkies1778

Pastellioli

@Ralizah A little late response, but I actually did complete Kazooie and Tooie. I really got a lot of fun out of them; I would even say they are a few of my favorite games! I even got all 12 achievements for the sequel, but it was honestly harder than the first game.

It had really huge worlds with a ton of backtracking (making it take longer to complete), and there were a bunch of random mini games scattered throughout the gameplay; some were fun in my opinion, but some were also infuriatingly hard. There was this very notorious race nearing the end of the game that I couldn’t even finish from how much they made the AI cheat, which prevented me from getting all 90 jigsaws in the game. There were other collectibles in the game as well, but I didn’t 100% Tooie from how difficult it was.

And I agree with you on the game shows; I also don’t really understand why they place them right near the end just as you’re about to get to the final boss and complete the game. The one in Tooie was better than the furnace-themed game show in Kazooie in my opinion, and I will say that the game show thing was funny as a concept, but I honestly wish Kazooie and the rest of the games didn’t have them in there… my heart was literally beating so fast when I did the game shows in those two. I have seen other fans online that have far more positive opinions on Kazooie and Tooie also collectively agree that the game shows were difficult and not fun to do. If you were to try completing the endgame with only just your memory and without writing the answers from the sister down or looking up an online guide, I am sure it would be harder.

I can definitely understand a lot of the negative opinions people give on the games. They aren’t entirely perfect. I like both for their goofiness and some of the twists they add to change up the gameplay to make it unique (even if they don’t turn out perfect) but I don’t plan on doing another playthrough of Tooie right now because of how time-consuming it could be.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

dmcc0

@Pastellioli Conker: Live & Reloaded was given away with Games with Gold a couple of years ago I think, so some might have it already too.

dmcc0

oliverp

Right so Iam still keeping an eye on this thread and think that I will have a proposal for next month.

oliverp

Pastellioli

@dmcc0 I didn’t know that! Thank you for telling me.

Viva happy!

Ralizah

@Pastellioli Yeah, Tooie seems to suffer from the same sort of design bloat that made DK64 annoying as well. I'm not expecting to enjoy it, but unlike Kazooie, I'll be going in without the expectation of ever actually beating it. Hopefully I'm able to wring some enjoyment out of it that way.

Yeah, the trivia/quiz element sucks in all these games. Really disappointed they even brought that element back in Yooka-Laylee. I haven't played through a ton of that game (Impossible Lair is a gem, though: beat it completely), but I do have to wonder if the backlash to that game was at least partially because people are more willing to criticize terribly game design when they're not blinded by nostalgia. People said they wanted another B-K, but what I actually think they want is a much improved game that gives them the same emotions as when they first played B-K at a less discerning age.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pastellioli

@Ralizah I have yet to play Yooka-Laylee, but I have heard those criticisms directed towards it, and the reception seems a whole lot more negative and harsher compared to the Banjo-Kazooie games. From what I’ve seen, they reused a lot of the same elements from Kazooie and Tooie regarding the gameplay, and the criticisms were mostly directed towards the game design copying most of the original games and not really changing a lot of it or trying to improve it. Sadly, since I haven’t tried it, I can’t give an opinion on it.

Although I am a HUGE fan of Rare’s classic games, I am unfortunately not in the mood to replay them sometimes, usually from one part of the game that upsets me or is hard to finish. One of their games that I played and completed, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, I really liked (and I would say I am a huge fan of) but in my opinion it had worse controls and movement than Banjo-Kazooie, as well as a horrible, HORRIBLE camera and far more moments and tasks difficult to complete.

There were maybe 3 or 4 times I got stuck on a part of Bad Fur Day, and one of those times was when they inserted this really awful racing mini game midway through that I would argue is way worse than the one in Tooie; you have to constantly go fast in the race and get close to opponents to hit them, all the while avoiding hitting or crashing into anything and timing your jumps perfectly. The worst part is that you can’t finish the game unless you complete it! When I had such a hard time completing the race in Bad Fur Day, I considered dropping the game (despite liking it a ton) but I luckily persevered and finished the entire game in the end.

There was a remake, Conker: Live and Reloaded where the controls were far more better, and I prefer playing it over the original for that reason. In my opinion, the controls of a game are the most important. If it controls badly, then it makes me less likely to play it again. If it’s good, then it might get a couple replays from me!

If Bad Fur Day does get chosen as the game of May (which I am doubtful it will) I would not be surprised if some people apart of the club drop it early on or midway through, or do complete it and dislike it. If they do play it, I would recommend the remake far more for the controls.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

Balta666

So Negative April is over and for this month we have a game everyone will be happy and positive with (or we will have a problem ). That game is Rise of the Tomb Raider where once again Lara is still trying to figure out the role while murdering everything in sight!!!

Please use spoiler tags when discussing spoilerish moments of the game. You do so by typing your spoiler between spoiler tags like this: [spoiler]insert message here[ /spoiler] and removing the space between [ and /

Some HLTB Stats:

Main Story - 13.5 Hours
Main + Extras - 22 Hours
Completionist - 35 Hours

But not sure if completionist includes all dlc or not (which there are tons although only a couple are story focused)

Tag list, please tag me and let me know if you want to be added or removed. I think I've picked up everyone who joined this month but please just post and tag me @Balta666 to let me know if I've missed you or if you want to join!
Also please let me know if you change your username, I might not notice and you won't get the notification (equally let me know if you have changed your username to get away from the notifications and I will delete you off the tag list 😆)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @vidjagames @Justifier @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @R1spam @lookupmore @Lavalera @frabbit @FraserG @WCB @TooBarFoo @SeriousSatan @xMightyMatt14x @BaldBelper78 @TuckNorris85 @Grail_Quest @Jsb5150 @Mamabear @liljazzy2 @Dydreamr @XFinest_KnightX @Elufachi @Amical @Supermutant @revluke @Akropolon @olskoolSEGA @HarmanSmith @Dr_Devious04 @EliteSlayer @GamingFan4Lyf @Pepa27 @MaxC @NintendoByNature @ralphdibny @Captain_Chozo @HelloCraig @BlackMayge @kyleforrester87 @RDDMarston @Utena-mobile @oliverp @OldManLopan @jedinite @Bnasty0303 @Bundersvessel @Angelus74 @Pastellioli @DoomGuy_117 @Ricky-Spanish @Yousef-

Ok so now, votes for next month.

• Tag me in a post with your vote(s). (Just hit reply on one of my posts or write @Balta666)
  • Write your votes in bold (put the text in between asterisks) and try and keep it separate from any paragraphs.
  • One line will do, "My vote is such and such a game(s)"
  • Feel free to make the post longer but try and keep the actual vote separate from the main body of the text and at the top of the post next to my tag @Balta666
  • Vote for as many games as you like!
    The votes reset every month and start from Zero. Feel free to suggest new games and I will add them to the list and count your vote toward it!
    American McGee's Alice -
    Conker's Bad Fur Day -
    Contrast -
    Evil West -
    Forza horizon 5 -
    Gears of War 2 -
    Genesis Noir -
    Ghost wire: Tokyo -
    Halo 2 -
    Inkulinati -
    Inside -
    Jusant -
    Lies of Pi -
    Planet of Lana -
    Remnant 2 -
    Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 -
    Steamworld build -
    The Evil Within 2 -
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition -
    Unravel -
    We Happy Few -
    Wo Long: Fallen Destiny -

If you have another game you'd like added to the list then let me know and I will add it with a vote from you!

For other tips on formatting texts in the forum's see the link below:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/help/tips_for_formatting_...

-- —

I will link to this post in my signature so you can just click on my signature down below to get back to this post and see the list of games and current votes!

Edited on by Balta666

ralphdibny

@Balta666 should have gone with minesweeper for April 😂

I wanted to give Banjo a go but just never made time for it unfortunately! It's still on my list to play at some point in the future!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Balta666 man, looking at that list in Post 1. Can't believe this club has been going for over 3 years now. I'm so proud 🥲

I played Rise quite a few years ago now. It was good but I think Shadow is probably the best, gameplay wise at least but I did prefer the story in the first reboot and Rise.

See ya!

Pastellioli

@Balta666 Cool! I won’t participate this time since I don’t have the game, but I’ll have fun watching this forum I really would like to see the opinions everyone forms on this game.

Happy May everyone!

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic