Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 241 to 260 of 1,434

BAMozzy

@Z3u5000 No doubt we will see 'Performance' modes in some games but you can't expect a native 4k with all the visual bells and whistles at 60fps on next gen hardware. It will be possible to upgrade a lot of current gen games to 4k/60 but if devs push what was possible before, then it will be impossible. There are games that struggle to run at a native 4k/60 on PC's without having to turn down settings, rely on Dynamic Resolution scaling (where available) to improve the stability etc. Its why things like DLSS, VRS, Temporal Reconstruction etc have been developed. Going from 30fps to 60fps is a massive drop in available frame-time to render a frame - 33.33ms to 16.7ms

Performance modes will have to sacrifice somewhere and as you can't really scale back too much on the CPU usage, they have to scale down on the visuals. More time available, more time to render and process the image. Its 'cheaper' to render 50-25% less pixels and spend a few ms reconstructing a 4k or using AI to upscale. Everything is determined by Frame Time and rendering and processing a Native 4k image is very expensive. If you want the highest visual quality settings, best draw distances too, you have to give the GPU time to do that - especially with much higher polygon counts and Textures too.

The PS5 has a lot less Shaders too - each Core has 64 shaders and each shader can handle 2 instructions per cycle and if some of those are handling RT, you have less to work with for everything else. They are not 'limitless' despite being a big upgrade over what is currently available and some games will not be current gen just at higher res/frame rates - similar quality shadows, lighting etc, similar polygon counts, similar amount of objects etc....

Also Sony are planning to bring more first party games to PC too so that may well be a reason to consider that platform over a Console. How long you have to wait to play them remains to be seen but if you have the hardware, you may not have to pick between performance or high end visuals...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

BrilliantBill

Finished Gears 5 on One S and this game looks so gorgeous (both graphics and art design). I just wonder why they haven't already shown the "Optimized for SX" version of it. Hopefully it's available on launch or a launch window title at least.

Discussing the topic of launch window titles. While most people here probably have Gamepass. I wanted to know what games will you guys pick up on launch of basically launch window for your SX or SS ?
Personally the only third party game that looked interesting and convincing so far for me was CoD BO Cold War (long name there) and Cyberpunk (which will probably be game of the year honestly). On the first party side I hope the Gears 5 enhanced makes it.

BrilliantBill

Banjo-

@BrilliantBill I'm curious about testing some current-gen games on the system. First-party, I'm most excited about Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4 at 60 FPS and also that Gears 5 remaster although I should play the older Gears games first. Third-party, I think that both Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk look great.

Banjo-

Senua

@BlueOcean I wanna cry. 😭😍🙏🙌
Untitled

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Senua

@BlueOcean Since next few months will be all about the most anticipated and delayed title of the decade “Cyberpunk 2077” and maybe the Ubisoft titles, Phil should market and advertise the consoles at full potential with them. Also PC gamers are finally going to get busy with some great stuff in upcoming months.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Senua

Xbox Tokyo Game Showcase has been confirmed for September 24. Let’s go!

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Banjo-

They should market the fact that Xbox has the best of a console and the best of a gaming PC. I'm tired of ignorant posters and "journalists" that say, "Why would I need an Xbox?". Reality is that you need a 2000-2500 gaming PC to outperform Series X, not to mention the convenience, size, power efficiency, optimisation and backwards compatible games. They are not comparable, even if they play the same games but they don't play the same games anyway.

Banjo-

BrilliantBill

@BlueOcean
Those people will always exist and they are very hard to deal with as well 😂If I had a dollar for every time I head this argument I would be driving a Ferrari.

Truth is that this hurts because it mostly comes from people that don't ever have the budget or commitment to actually build a 2000$ pc that can consistently outperform the consoles. I personally spent a fair few years in PC space before buying a PS3 late into that cycle (2011 I believe). The comfort and simplicity of the console. Knowing that I don't have to fiddle with any settings or worry about anything whatsoever and the game will run in a stable and reliable fashion.

I believe PC gaming is worth it only when you are on the more well-off end of gaming community and can comfortably spend 2000 on gaming PC. If I am trying to go for a PC on a budget I prefer to just buy a console (or two!).

This changes a bit later into the console cycle as the console hardware starts to get outdated and equivalent or superior performance can be gained for a cheaper price. But in here and now, consoles all the way!

BrilliantBill

Senua

Xbox Series X already has full hardware features of the upcoming DirectX 12_2.

Senua

Banjo-

@BrilliantBill That's right . Even when consoles start to be outdated at the end of the generation, you can wait for the next generation if it's backwards compatible like Series X. There are some current-gen games that I own and that I haven't played yet.

Banjo-

BAMozzy

In case you missed part 1...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

LtSarge

So I talked about my experience with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in another thread and I'm convinced now that I'll be definitely buying a Series X (instead of Series S) just so I can keep buying games 5+ years later and still have a smooth experience on the system. Because the whole PS4 Pro/Xbox One X upgrades have seriously messed up video games for early buyers this generation. Fallen Order, Borderlands 3, Control, there are so many games that have come out recently that just don't run well at all on older consoles. At least during the PS3/360/Wii generation we didn't have to worry about lag in cut scenes when playing games such as Halo 4 and The Last of Us that came out at the end of the generation. Not to mention that buying two of the same systems (e.g. Xbox One and Xbox One X) cost way more than just buying the best one right out of the gate (Series X in this case). I guess there's always the chance that Microsoft will release another upgrade but since they'll be releasing two versions from the start, I get the feeling that they won't do that next generation. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

LtSarge

BrilliantBill

@LtSarge interesting take but how are you so sure there isn't a ps5 pro/SX+ something coming in 2023-24 ?

BrilliantBill

Senua

@BrilliantBill It won’t matter, the important bottlenecks are gone now and there’s an eventual limit to human perception.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

LtSarge

@BrilliantBill The way I see it, there's a stronger possibility that a PS5 Pro is coming than a new model of Series X since Microsoft is already going to offer two different versions from the start while Sony is only going for one model. But like I said in my post, that might not mean anything but that's just how I see it. So personally, buying a Series X now, then waiting a couple of years for PS5 Pro to come out while the Series X will 'probably' still be relevant is definitely the best option, for me at least.

And even if a new model of Series X comes out, then I'll just get a PS5 Pro and play all the later released third-party games on there. Because my mistake this generation was buying both an Xbox One and a PS4 before the companies released their Pro/One X versions. I should've bought one of them while waiting for the upgraded model to come out and then bought that one.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Senua

Xbox Series X (non functional unit) unboxing.

My favourite console for next-gen in terms of looks, performance, innovations, build quality and efficiency,

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Banjo-

The video explains both consoles very well, even showed me something I didn't know (4:30).

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic