Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,429

Banjo-

Z3u5000 wrote:

@BAMozzy AFAIK Microsoft co-designed HDMI 2.1 standard and made other TV manufacturers like LG, Samsung to adopt beforehand by making sure backwards compatibility with older standards.

That's right.

By the way, interesting video. The GPU of PS5 must get extremely hot and thus they're using the huge case, metal liquid covering the chip...

Banjo-

Banjo-

I'll try to predict pricing. If the price of Series S is 300, I expect the price of Series X to be 500. PS5 would also cost 500 but PS5 Digital Edition 400. That would be interesting, budget-conscious people could buy a PS5 cheaper than a Series X but no disc drive and less powerful or they could buy Series S that it's similar to Series X but HD instead of 4K and would be cheaper than any other console, including Switch.

Banjo-

BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

BAMozzy

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Senua

@BAMozzy Thanks I was waiting for this channel to post on this.
AND THIS FINALLY 🙌🙌

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

@Z3u5000 The DF video is quite interesting but doesn't really delve into the technical side so much - more of a 'report' on what it has - but I don't think they are so into the technical breakdown of Silicon so much but good enough for the vast majority who don't really care or understand the technical side of hardware, just what it may mean for the software they want to run on it.

RGT is much more interesting as he understands more about the hardware and what it does.

I can't stand Dee as he is bias and an idiot. That first video about the Geometry Engine is absolutely ridiculous - and meaningless too. Its likely to be very different from Sony's 'Geometry' engine and as ALL Graphics cards handle Geometry, they ALL have a Geometry engine so that doesn't mean that they are ALL the same. Its like saying a Car has an Engine so they must all be as efficient and perform the same - even though you can have Turbo's, Superchargers, Variable Valve Timings, more valves per cylinder, more cylinders etc etc. Its just a Fanboy reading some words and making a video about it.

This is why I rely on information from real tech heads who have no Bias at all.

Its like all the Sony fanboy video makers reacting to Sony's GDC breakdown and saying that MS doesn't have a dedicated audio processor and that Sony's Audio is so much better and that will offset any CPU advantage because MS will need the CPU to process Audio. In this case, its the words 'Geometry Engine' and because Sony went on about theirs and MS as yet hadn't really talked about their Geometry engine, Sony's must be better and offset any advantages of GPU....

Sony too talked about an increase of 62% transistors on their APU - That their 36 CU's are like 56 PS4 CU's because of the increase in density. The Series X has 15.4bn Transistors in the same die space as the Xbox One which had 4.8bn - an effective increase of 320% but that doesn't mean that its necessarily better because of the higher percentage. Its also got 2.3x more transistors than the XB1X.

The big takeaway is more about the transparency of Microsoft compared to Sony. We can look at these chips, look at the specs etc but as a gamer, its pretty irrelevant because a developer has to utilise them to the fullest and depending on optimisation built into the hardware, any perceived advantages could be lost. The only other takeaway is that the APU in the Series X is seriously impressive. You have all that built into something that's around the same size as the Original Xbox One and XB1X chips - crammed in more cores, more transistors, better CPU etc all into the same space.

Senua

@BAMozzy I guess the advantage goes to Xbox Series X just for their mentioning of “Mesh Shading Geometry Engine” since mesh shading is a radical redesign over primitive shaders of how graphics pipeline traditionally works.

But suffice to say, this will put a stop to those biased youtube experts and youtube insiders like “Moore’s law is dead” (insider friend of RedGamingTech) and their fangirls who have gone with the idea that how Geometry Engine is a RDNA3 feature designed to help AMD for their next architecture and it’s supposed to be ahead of what Xbox Series X can do, also with their audio engine. The way he made his Hot Chips breakdown video sound like it’s all about RDNA 2.0 and had no custom features for Xbox Series X and how it’s supposed to be below some efficiency curve. Digitalfoundry will obviously have much more credibility and experience in these aspects since they are doing this for decades and have actual access to the industry’s hardware silicon designers for years.
According to the slides, Xbox Series X will have greater SPFP HW math ALL 8x CPUs in X1X. Maybe this will be important to leverage their custom spatial audio technologies like Project Accoustics (Digitalfoundry talks about it at the end).

Edited on by Senua

Senua

TeamAndromeda

Monster of a system, can't wait

TeamAndromeda

Banjo-

@Z3u5000 Thanks for all the information and videos, they're clarifying and revealing.

Banjo-

MaccaMUFC

Does anyone know if game sharing will be possible on Series X and One X? Me and my son currently game share and share Game Pass Ultimate and I’m giving him my One X when I get the Series X.

Regarding Project Accoustics, is it pointless getting a headset that uses it’s own virtual surround sound features like 5.1/7.1 and things like Turtle Beach’s Superhuman hearing? I’m getting the impression an excellent stereo headset is only needed while spatial audio from the likes of Atmos and Windows Sonic does it’s own thing. I could be missing the whole point here as I don’t know much about Project Accoustics or if it’s entirely different to Atmos and Windows Sonic.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

Senua

@MaccaMUFC It will be computed in-game and should be compatible with any headphones and dolby atmos sound systems.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Banjo-

Some people are a bit confused about how storage works on Series X, so let's remind this:

"You can always take your Xbox One games and play them directly off your external hard drive when connected to Xbox Series X. Now for Xbox Series X games, you can certainly store them on your external hard drive, but when you're ready to play them, you're going to want to move them to the internal SSD or the Seagate expansion drive".

Banjo-

Senua

Does anyone believe this leak?

Untitled

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Senua

What’s the point of upgrading a “next-gen console” over a better PC or the current mid-gen console when we are still stuck with deciding between either 4K@30 or 60fps at low res and likely less effects? Will the so-called “face of gaming” a.k.a Geoff Keighley still consider this as “next-gen”?
https://kotaku.com/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-will-have-a-60-fp...

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

@Z3u5000 Do you own a gaming PC or any PC that you could upgrade? If you want to build your own, a Zen 2 3700X CPU (8 core/16 thread 3.6Ghz) costs ÂŁ300, a Radeon 5700XT GPU (RDNA 1.0, 40 CU 1670Mhz 8.5TF) costs around ÂŁ400 and doesn't have hardware accelerated RT - And GTX 2070+ will cost ÂŁ500+

To get a PC to do 4k/60fps you have to spend quite a lot - a High End Gaming PC with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 16GB DDR4 and 1TB SSD, Win 10 will cost ~ÂŁ1550 and that will struggle to do Native 4k, 60fps RT etc and expect a Console to do that for ÂŁ500 (or less). I think a LOT of PC owners will be running games on 1440p monitors at most more than pushing Native 4k

A PC at least gives you options to tweak the settings, use DLSS in some games etc to try and get the frame rate at a graphical setting you can accept but it will be a good few years until you can get a PC to 'compete' with these consoles on price and performance.

MS won't really care if you opt to game on PC instead of Series X, as long as you are buying into their ecosystem and you will need a PS5 if you want to play games like R&C. I really don't think the new consoles will cease making games that run at 30fps - not if you want native 4k with all the graphical bells and whistles. At least it seems they may give more choice in the future, much more likely to get 60fps+ modes...

There is a choice for you and you will have to decide what is the right direction for you to go. Xbox is more than just the console so you could play Xbox on PC (or Mobile) if that's the right direction for you.

Senua

@BAMozzy I thought we would be leaving the “30fps” era behind with next-gen. We just don’t want a 60fps mode with less effects, we want a full-fledged standard 60fps performance which a similarly spec’d PC can do with next gen GPUs.

Senua

Banjo-

The CPU and GPU of PS5 are not just less powerful than Series X but also share a common and capped power pool, if CPU goes higher, the GPU goes lower and vice versa, that's why PS5 can't have next-gen visual at 60 FPS, they have to lower resolution and use less GPU resources so the CPU can run higher and offer a higher frame rate.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Senua

I guess this is the first “Captured on Xbox Series X” gameplay. Too bad it’s an indie game.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic