Forums

Topic: Last Game You Beat

Posts 221 to 240 of 575

Tasuki

@LtSarge Yeah the joy of Diablo comes from getting better loot and increasing the difficulty once you have good loot to get better loot. You don't really play Diablo games for the story its all about the loot.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

LtSarge

@Tasuki @Balta666 If it weren't for my massive backlog, I probably would've kept playing the game. But seeing as how I just wanted to get a taste of this franchise since I've never played a Diablo game before, I think I accomplished what I set out to do. I definitely see the appeal of it though but yeah, I'm not really into these kinds of games nowadays.

@Balta666 Completely off-topic here but I realised just the other day that I never accepted the friend request you sent me back in January until that day. I'm really sorry! I've not been so active on Xbox since I've been going through my backlog on other systems.

LtSarge

Tasuki

@LtSarge @Balta666 I find that games like Diablo, or Borderlands I have fun with friends. Just sit back each grab their character and just relax while killing things over and over for the loot. Making adjustments to your characters so that they synergize well, all the while b.s.ing and knocking back a few cold ones. Those games definitely get monotonous playing alone.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

crippyd

100% the Halo Infinite campaign over the weekend and very much enjoyed it.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

BAMozzy

Congrats @crippyd

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

RR529

Gun Gun Pixies (Steam. Also available on Switch)

• Playing as one of two (very similar) pixie (technically alien) protagonists, you must explore the rooms of a girls' dorm in order to learn more about Earth culture. Along the way you'll (clumsily) platform your way around collecting "Picoins" (which can be spent at the shop in the main menu on upgrades & new clothes, mainly lingerie), blasting squid-like baddies, and collect information (by examining sparkly areas in the room & by using "happy bullets" to shoot the girls in certain areas...), all while you make sure you stay out of the girls' line of vision (this can be trivialized with a tap of the d-pad, which causes you to strike a "pixie pose", becoming invisible to them even if they're looking right at you, the presumption being they see you as an anime figure).
  • Each of the game's 8 chapters is broken up into three "Orders", the first two of which consist of the exploratory gameplay mentioned above. While sometimes the collecting of info is the mission clear requirement, most times you'll have to do something specific, like find a specific item, shoot a specific spot (like a window to open it), or kill all the squids. As you're graded on how many Picoins & info you gather, try to get everything before clearing the mission objective (while you're graded on time to clear as well, there's no defined time limit). Partway through you'll obtain a "Hookshot" that makes scaling the rooms easier, but from my experience there's no place you can't reach beforehand, with a well timed jump from the right spot.
  • The third "Order" of each chapter is always a boss fight referred to as "Maiden Suppression". One of the girls will be overwhelmed by emotion & get lost in some sort of exercise (such as Yoga, Treadmill, or even Pole Dancing...), and you'll have to avoid the various "Auras" (different bullet types) she produces during the activity & eventually calm her down by shooting her in various "areas" causing her to go into ecstasy. There is no stealth requirement during these sections, and sometimes things are made extra hectic by the presence of the squid enemies.
  • Each chapter is capped off by a bonus "Bath Time" segment, in which the "boss" of the chapter will be taking a bath and you have the chance to make some major Picoins by again shooting her in certain areas & even getting the chance to jump on & physically scrub her (which nets ridiculous Picoins). There is no stealth requirement here, and you can replay them in free play allowing you to cheese enough money to buy whatever you want in the shop (especially considering the further you get, the longer you can make the segment last).
  • Essentially half the game is a visual novel (with it's fair share of translation errors), which you'll be exposed to for lengthy periods in between chapters & orders. While there is an endgame narrative revolving around a "Phantom Thief" stealing buildings, it's mostly fluff surrounding the girls & at no point is it something you'll take particularly seriously. Apparently there are different possible endings, but whether or not it's influenced by the choices you make (you'll get like one multiple choice question each chapter), by how much info you gather during the exploration segments, or by a mix of both I don't know.
  • Once you complete the game you unlock a suite of options, such as a 3D character viewer, gallery of all the 2D art & videos, costumes to purchase for the dorm girls, and even the ability to disengage stealth & damage altogether.
  • Also as a side note, there's one early chapter that's just a Hyperdimension Neptunia crossover.

Conclusion: It's very much a clunky "B grade" Japanese game with extremely narrow niche appeal, but that said I don't think it's as bad as the "3" NL gave it, as it's not really broken in any sense. If you like quirky Japanese games & don't mind the (very) saucy material, it might be worth a look.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LtSarge

Just finished Far Cry 4 on PS4. Great game! I really enjoyed traversing an open world set in the Himalayas and the gameplay was just as fun as Far Cry 3. My biggest issue with the game is that the story is severely lacking compared to FC3. There wasn't enough plot, most of the story missions were about going to a place and taking it over for the rebels. There were some memorable characters that you start caring about towards the end of the game, but things like the main villain not showing up enough brought down the experience. You meet him in the beginning of the game, but the next time you see him isn't until when you're halfway through the story. However, I do have to say that the campaign missions where you have to make choices were really good. I had to think about them for a good while because there were both good and bad sides to both choices. Not to mention that there would be consequences depending on who you choose to side with. So the fact that these choices were actually thought-provoking made the experience more unique compared to Far Cry 3.

It took me about 23 hours to finish the story and most side objectives such as capturing outposts, liberating bell towers and so on. For an open world game, I think that's a good length and it definitely doesn't overstay its welcome. I also enjoyed some DLC missions that I got from the season pass and I'll also be playing the Valley of the Yetis DLC next.

So overall, great game and while it wasn't as good as Far Cry 3, it's definitely the second best game in the series that I've played.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished 999 on PS4 and got the true ending along with every other one. Absolutely brilliant game! I genuinely loved the whole escape-room concept as you have to gather clues and solve fun puzzles in order to escape. The puzzles were almost never difficult to solve, except for a few towards the end. But overall, they all made sense and the most important thing for me is that I never got stuck and therefore frustrated because I couldn't solve a puzzle. Even the difficult ones toward the end would eventually give me hints so that I could solve them. Usually, I tend to get frustrated with visual novels that have puzzle elements, such as Ace Attorney and Danganronpa. But 999 was different though. I don't know if it's because it had easier puzzles or if I've simply gotten better at these games, but the point is that I highly enjoyed the gameplay.

The story started off fairly slow and the majority of the time was spent on explaining scientific theories and terms to the player as they would become fundamental to understanding the plot. There was also a lot of information about historical events and all of this was really interesting to me. I absolutely love it when visual novels mix elements from real life with a fictional story. It's the same reason why I loved Steins;Gate because it talked about time travel and actual scientific theories in order to explain the plot. It just makes these stories that much more grounded, captivating and ultimately memorable to me. Not to mention that when the story started to unravel and the mysteries were getting solved, I just couldn't stop playing. In my opinion, this is the sign of an exceptional visual novel and video game in general.

In short, 999 was absolutely brilliant and it has become one of my favourite games of all time now. On top of this, I've fallen in love with the Zero Escape series and I can't wait to play the next game, Virtue's Last Reward, as I've heard it's even better. Seeing as how both 999 and VLR are coming to Game Pass soon, I highly recommend checking out this franchise, it's just so good!

LtSarge

Krzzystuff

Just rolled credits on Artful Escape. It's a great game if you're in the right mindset. This game is 100% developed to be played on mushrooms or acid. Just THC for me but it's a very relaxing experience with the great music and vivid visuals.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

crippyd

Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider yesterday. An enjoyable game for sure. I'm not sure if I'm going to replay it to get the other achievments for the harder difficulties to 100% it or to move on to something else.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

Balta666

I have finished tunic. The game is really good but I found the last boss to be a huge difficulty peak and where the lack of range of your sword is extremily agravating. Also the extra content of the game is so obtuse I gave up on it. In the end the game is awesome for 90% of the time but it ends on a bad note for me

Edited on by Balta666

themcnoisy

Every game in the Master Chief collection! Loved it all.

Hey @Bamozzy you fancy running some special ops in Halo 4 to help an old pal out?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy I haven't touched Halo 4 for a very long time but if you want a hand, I can 'try' LOL

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy yes Bam! Thank you. I don't know your Xbox name though ROFL 😂 your ps was timedown I think.

Edited on by themcnoisy

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy Even though its my 'name' on PureXbox and at the very bottom of every forum post in my 'signature' LOL. On PS, it is Taime Downe because Mozzy and bamozzy was not an option...

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy sweet will send you a friend request later.

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy No probs - won't be on again tonight though as there is a 'big' game tonight in your neck of the woods that's important to me, not so much you LOL

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic