Forums

Topic: What are you watching?

Posts 201 to 205 of 205

LtSarge

Finished watching season 3 of Narcos. This was definitely the best season of the show so far. I struggled getting through season 1 and while season 2 became more interesting, it went downhill towards the end. Although the first two seasons had more interesting characters, the storyline in season 3 was overall much better and more engrossing than both season 1 and 2 combined. Without spoiling anything, the events in season 3 felt more "fair" so to speak, while the ones in season 2 were definitely more one-sided. Because of that, it simply felt pointless following the show because it didn't feel rewarding to watch it until the end. At that point I just wanted it to be over because we all knew what was going to happen. I guess that's just how it is if you're going to base your show off of history, which is understandable but it simply didn't translate well into a thrilling TV show.

I'm definitely more engaged in this series overall now thanks to season 3 and I can't wait to start watching Mexico next.

LtSarge

Senua

@LtSarge Also checkout Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Senua

LtSarge

@Z3u5000 I've actually already watched through Breaking Bad around the time it came out. It's really good! Haven't watched Better Call Saul yet but I have it on my watchlist on Netflix.

LtSarge

RR529

I can't believe YashaHime premiers this weekend! I've never made it a point to simulcast any anime ever before, but there's a first time for everything (luckily it's going to be on Hulu too, so I won't have to get any new subscriptions).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Bubblegum Crisis (Retro Crush)

1980's sci-fi OVA series comprised of 8 episodes that follows the exploits of the Knight Sabers, a (nearly) all female vigilante group that uses advanced power suits (think a more anime take on Iron Man) to take on Genon, an overly powerful robotics corporation that is illegally developing weapons grade "Boomers" (series terminology for humanoid androids).

While the first three episodes form a sort of connected story, overall there's no narrative end point, with each episode (most of which are 40-50 minutes long) feeling like a little self contained movie of sorts, each chronicling the events of a different case the group gets involved in. It's definitely from an interesting era of sci-fi anime (definitely the kind of series that influenced the vibe of Astral Chain) with an attention to detail to the sci-fi machinery & vehicles (unfortunately it looks like it hasn't had much if any of a visual upgrade, with a VHS like quality to the image. I think it'd look phenomenal restored in HD), and the impact of Blade Runner on the medium can definitely be felt. Worth a look if you have an interest in vintage anime, which can feel VERY different to the medium in it's current form.

Content Guide:

Language - Average (Mostly PG-13 level stuff, but I wouldn't rule out an F-Bomb or two that MAY have flown by me).

Violence - High (While it can get quite bloody when it needs to, I mean there's one episode that centers around a mysterious "vampire" draining people of the stuff, it's not constantly drenched with it, and a couple episodes don't feature any as far as I recall, unless you count this yellow fluid/oil that acts as a Boomer's "blood" when it gets ripped apart. Just be aware it can get high impact when it needs to).

Nudity/Sex - Average (really just for the few scenes of bare breasts it features during the occasional shower or changing scene. Like maybe four brief scenes total. Otherwise it's not really fanservicy in any way. The female characters don't have exaggerated body proportions, I don't recall any noticeable jiggle physics, and their outfits always seem appropriate for whatever situation they're currently in. The only other thing that would go here is a bit of a running gag where the brother of one of the girls seems oddly interested in seeing her specifically in a state of undress, but it's dropped after the first few episodes).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic