Forums

Topic: 2015 - pX feedback and suggestions

Posts 1 to 20 of 34

PeTitosaurus

2015 is here – new year, new games.

Now we're interested in knowing what you like to see in the new year, content wise. Do you enjoy our reviews? Would you like to see more opinion pieces? More elaborate news? Maybe you're interested in a Pure Xbox podcast or interactive Twitch streams? How about offering a place to hang out during big events like E3? Staff blogs?

Whatever you can think of, elaboration of existing features as well as new ones, that you'd love to see on the site, we're happy to take on to see how we can implement. Everything for the best possible, off-console Xbox experience, discussions and coverage.

Edited on by PeTitosaurus

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

II_Of_Seven

Twitch streams sound like fun and a nice way to discuss things straight up with the watchers. More reviews are always welcome, since you do write them awesomely

II_Of_Seven

Twitter:

BAMozzy

How about adding purexbox members reviews (or a least a brief summary of a few - 1-2 lines maybe and their score) at the end of your reviews. You could also have a Purexbox score and a reader score. At the end of the yearr you could then compile a list of Purexbox top scoring games and see how it differs from the member reviews.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

crippyd

For me I would say more of the same but with more opinion pieces and staff blogs. I've never listened to podcasts or used twitch. My main time on the site is during work hours so I can only read stuff. I don't know if my phone does podcasts (Nokia Lumia 920).

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

SuperKMx

I'll try to keep up with suggestions as and when they come in, so...

II_Of_Seven - More Reviews - Thanks for the kind words! We're always trying to increase our review counts, so we'll carry on working at that.

BAMozzy - User Reviews - It isn't something that's in the pipeline or that we could easily add right now, but I'll add it to my long list for future consideration, for sure!

crippyd - More Opinion Pieces/Staff Blogs - Duly noted. We'll see what we can do. (For reference, grab the free app "i Podcast" for your Lumia 920...works like a charm!)

Edited on by SuperKMx

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki

I want so see the main editors from Nintendolife, Pure Xbox and Push Square in a WWE style Elimination match to end all this which brand is better nonsense.

If only it were that easy huh?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

SuperKMx

Tasuki wrote:

I want so see the main editors from Nintendolife, Pure Xbox and Push Square in a WWE style Elimination match to end all this which brand is better nonsense.

I'd take that action. I'm relatively sure that I could do some damage with a steel chair. There's something of a size differential between the three of us that would put me at a bit of an advantage too.

Ken Barnes,

BAMozzy

SuperKMx wrote:

I'll try to keep up with suggestions as and when they come in, so...

II_Of_Seven - More Reviews - Thanks for the kind words! We're always trying to increase our review counts, so we'll carry on working at that.

BAMozzy - User Reviews - It isn't something that's in the pipeline or that we could easily add right now, but I'll add it to my long list for future consideration, for sure!

crippyd - More Opinion Pieces/Staff Blogs - Duly noted. We'll see what we can do. (For reference, grab the free app "i Podcast" for your Lumia 920...works like a charm!)

Thanks for considering it. Even if it cannot be implemented easily, I think it would add to the overall review and help readers get a more varied opinion. Like I said it would also be interesting to see if the top games based on review score differs between the reviewers and the users too. After all most reviewers have access to the game before general release and may not spend as much time on it as they have to play other games.

I too have no interest in podcasts, twitch etc but interested in reading opinion pieces from the staff.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Gamer83

A podcast would be awesome because outside of Xbox superfan Ryan McCaffrey's IGN Podcast Unlocked, I haven't found any other good ones dedicated to the Xbox, where as there are several good ones for PlayStation and Nintendo. I also know they're incredibly time consuming though. I've thoroughly enjoyed Ken's opinion pieces so more of those this year would be great.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

SuperKMx

Gamer83 wrote:

A podcast would be awesome because outside of Xbox superfan Ryan McCaffrey's IGN Podcast Unlocked, I haven't found any other good ones dedicated to the Xbox, where as there are several good ones for PlayStation and Nintendo. I also know they're incredibly time consuming though. I've thoroughly enjoyed Ken's opinion pieces so more of those this year would be great.

Thank you for the kind words! I'll be hoping to bring more opinion pieces to the site, for sure.

As for a podcast - I'm not sure what the future holds. It's an idea I've thought about a lot, but we've always been too busy to give it our full dedication, and that's what it would need as I really wouldn't want to put another half-cooked podcast out into a world that's already full of them. It's certainly on my shortlist, though!

Ken Barnes,

tylertreese

Gamer83 wrote:

Glad somebody is interested in a podcast. I love doing podcasts (have hosted a few and been a guest on others) so I'd be down.

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

Vincent294

The badge signifying moderator status looks strange to have its edge clipping over the avatar, maybe shifting it all over it or having a colored border around the avatar would look better?

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

SuperKMx

Vincent294 wrote:

The badge signifying moderator status looks strange to have its edge clipping over the avatar, maybe shifting it all over it or having a colored border around the avatar would look better?

I agree - I'll see what we can do to get it fixed.

Ken Barnes,

Vincent294

SuperKMx wrote:

Vincent294 wrote:

Thanks. Small fixes never hurt, they show an attention to detail on the site.

Vincent294

SuperKMx

Vincent294 wrote:

SuperKMx wrote:

Vincent294 wrote:

Thanks. Small fixes never hurt, they show an attention to detail on the site.

We've moved it over a bit so it's clearer that it isn't part of the image or broken, looks better now.

Ken Barnes,

PeTitosaurus

I'm currently out traveling, but I'm keeping an eye of this thread. Loving the suggestions! Good to have in the portfolio when presenting features to the guys above us, as well as when I nag at Ken about things.

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

stylon

Definitely a podcast - something I can listen to whilst I'm at work, even if it's just once a month to start with. I know Major Nelson does one but it can be quite overbearing - it would be nice to have one with a more... multicultural feel to it.

Would also like to see more video features, maybe mini staff playthroughs of up and coming games with some commentary to elevate them above the stuff we see on youtube and Twitch.

Another thing that would be both interesting and useful would be a regular feature where you hand pick a classic title from the Xbox 360 catalogue and tell us all about it. There's a massive back catalogue of games there and I know I must have missed out on many classic AAA and XBLA games that just passed me by when I wasn't paying attention and I'd love to find out what they were and get a chance to play them.

A little more timely and in-depth coverage of the weekly Xbox Live sales and any DLC (Unity DLC is today for example) that has been released would be nice too. If you could cross-reference any titles listed in the article to existing pX reviews that would be awesome!

Finally and a bit more controversial possibly, I'd love you to extend your coverage to include Xbox Windows Phone games. There isn't a massive collection of these compared to iOS and Android but they are never the less a part of Xbox gaming and I spend quite a lot of time playing them. Would be awesome if you could do the odd review of new games and a regular round up of what's been released recently.

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

SuperKMx

In response to Stylon's post...I'll take these point by point...

Podcast - it's on the table, for sure. It has been for ages, but we're expanding our goals a little with livestreaming and events, so a podcast is back on the cards for consideration at the very least. We got to the point that we've even got intro music lined up, but it all fell by the wayside.

Video playthroughs - we're working on things like that, for sure. Probably more with a retro feel than anything else, I'd imagine. We're quite limited on what we can do with upcoming titles.

Classic Titles - Again, we're working on something similar, starting off with an OG Xbox section, but also covering Xbox 360 classics as and when we can.

Xbox Live sales and DLC - duly noted.

As for Windows Phone...we've had this discussion a few times over the last couple of years and while it's something that I'd like to do, we're somewhat limited on time. It's always been an interest of mine (even though I don't actually have a Windows Phone anymore! Well...not for another month or so anyway....) but until we can take on a few more staff and get up to full speed, it isn't something that we can feasibly cover just yet. Again, it is always in the back of my mind, though...

All good points, Stylon - thanks for taking the time to pitch your suggestions!

Ken Barnes,

Vincent294

Maybe you guys could do Windows Phone with another writer. Nothing too special, but if your staff ever expands, listing the new titles and reviewing major releases would be cool. Then you could jokingly shaft Nintendo Life with iOS and Playstation with Android. Don't know who'd cover PC then. I've always wondered what comes after this site in all seriousness. I could see a PC / mobile site, but that would be ambitious. I'm sure 3 sites is enough as it is.

Vincent294

SuperKMx

Vincent294 wrote:

Maybe you guys could do Windows Phone with another writer. Nothing too special, but if your staff ever expands, listing the new titles and reviewing major releases would be cool. Then you could jokingly shaft Nintendo Life with iOS and Playstation with Android. Don't know who'd cover PC then. I've always wondered what comes after this site in all seriousness. I could see a PC / mobile site, but that would be ambitious. I'm sure 3 sites is enough as it is.

Yeah, I think three sites is plenty for the time being.

Ken Barnes,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.