Forums

Topic: Anything Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 385

tylertreese

SuperKMx wrote:

mindtwang wrote:

Just quit my job. Scary/exciting.

Welcome to the world laddo. Did the same about three years ago and haven't looked back. Best thing I ever did.

Too bad I don't have your looks to get everything for free, Ken

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

Johnbhoy69

Been checking out Twitch the past few days just to watch streams of games I'm interested in and I've noticed that a lot of the streamers are receiving donations. I'm a little confused as to why. I wouldn't expect anyone to donate just to watch me play and swear at video games so why do these people expect others to do it?

Johnbhoy69

Xbox Gamertag: Johnbhoy69

tylertreese

Johnbhoy69 wrote:

Been checking out Twitch the past few days just to watch streams of games I'm interested in and I've noticed that a lot of the streamers are receiving donations. I'm a little confused as to why. I wouldn't expect anyone to donate just to watch me play and swear at video games so why do these people expect others to do it?

People want to support people that entertain them. It is that simple.

Johnbhoy69

Well ok. Here's my next question, if someone receives a donation by playing a game made by say... From Software (currently watching a guy stream bloodborne) and he is using twitch to stream then does the money go to twitch and from software or a major percentage at least?

Seems like a very easy way to make money off someone else's products.

Johnbhoy69

PeTitosaurus

Usually donations go straight to private paypal accounts. So no, the publishers/developers aren't paid anything. Most companies set up streaming rules, just like they do for YouTube gameplay videos, that serious streamers/youtubers always should check first. But the deal is usually "stick to the rules and you're free to use our product". For them it's more or less "free" PR for the game, unless they've sent a promo-copy to the streamer. Same goes for YouTubers really.

You can subscribe to bigger channels that are partnered to Twitch. You pay $4.99 per month and get little perks like specially designed emotes to use that show who you support in other chats, and such. Some streamers do "sub plays" where they invite people to play on stream with them if they're subscribed. However, Twitch takes roughly 50% of the 4.99 and so you'll need to rally up quite the amount of subs before it starts paying off for real.

Edited on by PeTitosaurus

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

Johnbhoy69

Suppose if someone has the time to dedicate to that they could make quite a decent living off it.

I've two jobs so no way I'd have time for that but would be awesome to just quit and start streaming daily

Johnbhoy69

PeTitosaurus

Yeah. I know quite a few who are able to get a small income from their streams, but the amount of time and effort that goes into it...it's crazy really! One guy I know got partnered pretty "fast" - he spent 6 months doing 14-18 hours of streaming per day for at least 6 days per week! He had been streaming for two years prior to that, and had something of a base to build on, but set his heart out to get partnered. He still hasn't got enough subs to live comfortably off of it, but at least he makes something.

I think that's why most people set up separate donation pages as well – you don't have to be partnered to have a donation page and Twitch doesn't take a percentage of what you get. However, setting up a donation page is easy, getting people to actually donate is harder and it also requires time to build up the trust and the amount of core viewers.

Edited on by PeTitosaurus

Emma "Tito" - the Swankee speaking Swede and quirky blonde.

Xbox Gamertag: PeTitosaurus | Twitter:

tylertreese

Johnbhoy69 wrote:

Well ok. Here's my next question, if someone receives a donation by playing a game made by say... From Software (currently watching a guy stream bloodborne) and he is using twitch to stream then does the money go to twitch and from software or a major percentage at least?

Seems like a very easy way to make money off someone else's products.

You're creating a new product though. I don't get why people think it is so easy to be a popular streamer. For example: PewDiePie is more talented than 95% of people. To appeal to MILLIONS and to keep them so entertained that they keep coming back is a skill. People are not coming back for the games, they come for the streamer.

Johnbhoy69

It's not really creating anything, it's merely commenting whilst playing what others have created.
Pewdiepie and talented are two words that should never be in the same sentence. He's insufferable. I generally try to find videos without commentary as I'm more interested in the game than some muppet trying to put on a show.

Edited on by Johnbhoy69

Johnbhoy69

Red620Ti

You can't argue with his success, though mate, hes made a bob or two!

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

sorethumbed

Yeah, I'm like that about Jonathan Ross. 😀😀

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

tylertreese

Johnbhoy69 wrote:

It's not really creating anything, it's merely commenting whilst playing what others have created.
Pewdiepie and talented are two words that should never be in the same sentence.

Untitled

As someone who makes videos (and puts a lot of effort and time into trying to be more personable/entertaining/informative within them) and podcasts I find it really insulting to call what he does as "merely commenting". Commentary takes a ton of work if you want to be good at it. Not an easy job.

Edited on by tylertreese

Vincent294

mindtwang wrote:

As someone who makes videos (and puts a lot of effort and time into trying to be more personable/entertaining/informative within them) and podcasts I find it really insulting to call what he does as "merely commenting". Commentary takes a ton of work if you want to be good at it. Not an easy job.

Good commentary does take effort; I'd take most of what he says with a grain of salt (PewDiePie being overrated aside). What I truly don't understand is the allure of watching game streams without commentary. At that point you might as well play the real thing.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

Johnbhoy69

Personally I prefer the few videos I do watch that have commentary to be focused on the game whilst also being witty, fun and most importantly the person commentating being tolerable to listen to . I watched a stream earlier where the guy hosting was talking about his tax returns... Boring.
Pewdiepie just talks nothing but nonsense and screams most of the time. Not exactly representative of today's gamers...except those 13 year olds that still play call of duty

Johnbhoy69

tylertreese

He's apparently representative enough to have 35 million subscribers...

It is fine if you don't like his product, but you can't really act like he has no talent or doesn't connect with his audience.

Edited on by tylertreese

Johnbhoy69

I'll agree that he has one single talent, an eye for business. He saw a way to get paid to play games and he sure as hell took advantage of it. We all would if we could.
But As a commentator/personality he is god awful.

Johnbhoy69

tylertreese

Only on the internet can a developer make a tasteless comment and then get hundreds of people to suddenly become their biggest fans. Love games!

Edited on by Red620Ti

Red620Ti

mindtwang wrote:

Only on the internet can a developer make a tasteless comment and then get hundreds of people to suddenly become their biggest fans. Love games!

You look familar, Mindtwang............Do I know you from somewhere?

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.