Forums

Topic: 3rd Party 360 Slim Hard Drives

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Alphack3r

Well, I've decided that if the 3DS is too expensive that I'm gunna invest that money in something that's actually worth it! But, I got a list of stuff to buy and don't wanna burn 100 bucks for 200 too many GB's of HDD, so I've been looking into 3rd party 360 Slim hard drives. (I know - they're awesome aren't they?) Anyway, what I wanna know is: Will these bad boys work in any way?

As I said before, I'm new to the Xbox scene, but if I'm not mistaken the only unique thing about 360 hard drives is some kind of unique digital signature or authentication code...w/e...do you think one of these drives would work if you used a transfer cable and a 4gb hdd? Realy, the best situation would be the enclosure "doing the work" of authentication or w/e but I really don't know.

BTW, I don't really need oodles of space for multimedia, I would only be using the space for saves, DLC, and Live stuff. Also, if the soultion is really technical, it's no prob; I may not be "Alpha", but hacker is purty close (I'm not a black mage anymore ), and tech is what I do.

Thanks!

It's dangerous to go alone...

TheBaconator

Deciding the 3DS is too to expensive already, before an actual price? That was quick.
On topic, through personal experience, I wouldn't trust 3rd party companies selling a product for around $100 cheaper with your memory usually because on every other system the files will, likely,randomly become corrupted. For a (Not as) cheap and more reliable memory source, I'd recommend buying some USB flashdrives for memory storage. That's what I use anyway. It is also portable and makes it easy to play with your account on a friend's Xbox.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

Alphack3r

Mk, thanks!

Yeah, I did some research on my own and it turns out that the only way to use an unofficial hdd in the slim is to either crack open and connect and original 360 hdd, or use a certain series of Western Digital drives and clone an old drive's authentication data.

The tool is called Hddhackr, great peice of code I tell ya!

(I spread out the name so the mods can remove it easily if need be ^_^;)

Thanks anyway!

EDIT: None of the described techniques can ban you from Live, according to a rep...

Edited on by Alphack3r

Alphack3r

UPDATE

Oh. Mah. Goodness.
Turns out I broke down and got the 250gb version, but my friend found the exact drive I was considering and it works perfectly!!! Well, he didn't get it straight from Goldenbridge, but as far as I know they're the only one Amazon could've gotten them from so yeah, they work!

ANSWER: Generic goldenbridge X360 drives (from Amazon) WORK! BUY THEM! NAO! lol do w/e

Crunchewy

I put the 120 GB drive from my Elite into a 3rd party case from eBay, for my 4 GB 360 S. Worked without incident.

Crunchewy

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.