Forums

Topic: 360 Controller Issues, Any Ideas?

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

RR529

Late last spring while playing Red Dead Redemption, my controller started to occasionally cut off like it had no power, even with fresh batteries. Luckily, the issue was sparse enough that I was able to beat the game, but afterwards it became more & more common to the point that it made the system unplayable (though sometimes it was cooperative enough to watch some YouTube). I even tried different controllers & battery brands, neither of which seemed to fix the issue (also, I'm never rough with the controllers, either).

Earlier this year while watching Youtube, I realized the issue had randomly disappeared, so I decided to buy some more games (which I made threads for here recently), and while I played through the first one fine, the issue has started to creep up on me again, as I started to reach the end of the second game. While I did complete the game, the issue has once again started happening more & more (even when just on YouTube), and I have to ask, does anyone know what in the heck could possibly be causing this?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

Sounds like it might be a lose connection. That's all I can think of now. Does it happen with all your controllers or just the one?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

Sounds like it might be a lose connection. That's all I can think of now. Does it happen with all your controllers or just the one?

I haven't yet tried a different controller this time, but all of our 360 controllers were affected by the issue when it happened last year (controllers from our other consoles, like the PS3, haven't been affected either time. It's just a 360 issue).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

sorethumbed

One of my old controllers does this occasionally and it is always down to the battery compartment. I clean it out, clean the connector ends and stretch the springs ever so slightly and bobs your grannie for another few months.

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

crippyd

I have a similar issue on the One. My controllers randomly disconnect, seems especially worse on online gaming, although it does affect offline play too. It's very frustrating and I have been unable to find a solution.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

Maximus_T

I think wired controllers will be the most obvious and reliable solution, whether that be through play-and-charge kits (not sure if there is a standard wired X1 controller) or a fully wired controller for the 360 (I think these exist).

Feel free to add me on Xbox Live. Currently playing: Wolfenstein New Order, XCOM EW, MKX, other stuff.

Xbox Gamertag: MakkaMan27

RR529

Well, it's not doing it too bad yet (once a day during gameplay), so hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Thanks for the ideas.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vincent294

@RR529: Don't 360 controllers communicate over a proprietary connection? Interference issues?

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

RR529

Vincent294 wrote:

@RR529: Don't 360 controllers communicate over a proprietary connection? Interference issues?

I guess it could be interference, but I honestly don't know what could be causing it.

We haven't gotten any new electronics or metal objects, other than a new tablet, which we didn't get until after the issues first started last year.

Again, it's not doing it nearly as badly as it did last year (everything has still been perfectly playable so far), so I just have to hope it doesn't get any worse for the time being.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vincent294

@RR529: Wish you luck, all I've ever known is the batteries coming loose.

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

sorethumbed

Have to laugh. my Xbox one controller has started playing up! My toon randomly just looks st the floor as if you'd pressed the right stick (even if you are holding the stick absolutely still). I'll try a controller update, otherwise it's back to ms).

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

Maximus_T

Mine sometimes disconnects too, but that's usually because I have my laptop on me lap in the way.

Feel free to add me on Xbox Live. Currently playing: Wolfenstein New Order, XCOM EW, MKX, other stuff.

Xbox Gamertag: MakkaMan27

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.