Forums

Topic: Which Studios Should Microsoft Acquire Next?

Posts 101 to 120 of 171

Banjo-

To me it would be great to acquire Square Enix so Sony stops buying timed exclusivity just to hurt Xbox. Sega or Capcom would be great choices as well but only if those studios wish to be part of Xbox like Zenimax and Activision Blizzard. Square Enix is something always on my mind though, for that reason. Koei Tecmo is one I'd love to be part of Xbox if that meant more Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

Banjo-

GodofCapcom

Ubisoft.
Recent problems
1. Skull and Bones and Beyond good and evil 2 in trouble.
2. Riders republic didn't sell well.
3. Assassin Creed and Far Cry going GaaS
4. Ghost recon free to play that NOBODY wants.
5. Ghost Recon Breakpoint
6. Far Cry 6 and Rainbow Six Extraction were meeeeeh
7.Brawlhalla will die when Multiversus releases.
8. Work culture problems.

Siege and For Honor are fine

Checks notes: We have a winner. Ubisoft.

Sega would be great, but damn. What if Xbox fans don't support their games?
It's mostly yakuza games, one persona game per gen and sonic that is not doing so well? I think building Tango is a better way to make jrpgs. Make that studio a 3 project team.

I don't trust MS with Capcom or SE at all, but Capcom is more westernized so I think that's the next target, but I think Sony has that in the bag. Their movies are published and distributed by Sony, plus EVO, plus being Japanese, their history and their games selling way better on PS. Capcom SF5 got funded by Sony, they let Capcom used SSM studio to mocap RE8, Capcom USA CEO joining Sony in a relation position, and I think Sony bought a studio that had the street fighter director. It's looking pretty obvious who Sony is going for next. More than Square. I know from the surface Square looks like the next target, but I don't think MS can get Square because it's too eastern-ish focused. Square is basically a Sony exclusive already and they probably can get their anime on crunchyroll/funanimation so I don't think Sony feel the threat.

EA and T2 won't sell.
Embracer will try to be the new Activision while competing with T2 and EA. So it's free real estate.
Bandai... yeah not happening.

So Ubisoft 70%, Sega 25%, Capcom 5%
but only one more and they're done.

I think that's enough... play with your cards MS.

Don't buy Konami LMAO.

On the studio side.
Asobo, Crytek, Platinum Games, Techland and Remedy.

My wish: Sony gets Capcom, Microsoft gets Ubisoft and no more publishers acquisitions. Please!
That should be enough to scare off the giant techs for now. We can't promote Xbox and Sony owning everything.

but who knows really...

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

@Noconfidenceman I've been hearing about these YS and Trails games. Seems people love the story of those games a lot.

@LtSarge I think they'll try Ubisoft, if not, I think they're ok with what they have. Maybe a studio here and there like the ones I mentioned above. They have enough for basically 1 game per month. Sega could happen, but I doubt it. Everyone else is super rare that it might happen with Nintendo and Sony having the advantage. I know you said Sony lost a lot of Japan ground, but Capcom and Square's biggest games are coming to ps5 and not on switch. It's mostly Sony Japan and the X button what Sony did to reduce their pull in Japan. I don't think that's a big deal. As soon as FF16 hits and FF7 remake part 2 is announced, Xbox lost the ground completely since those two seem like they're PS5 exclusive.

Anyways, my thoughts are on my post above.

Damn I forgot WB exists lol.
I really doubt WB sells their studios if they see great sales from Gotham, Suicide Squad, Harry potter and Multiversus. We'll see. Netherealms looks yummy for Sony's EVO though.

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

Noconfidenceman

@RevGaming

I’m about 20 hours into Cold Steel on the Vita but I think I’ll go back and play trails in the sky first as they are all interconnected. I’m just waiting for the steam deck to start that as it feels more like a portable game to me ( originally released in the psp).

They’re pretty good but a little anime tropey at times, but certainly not the most egregious examples of that in the JRPG space. There was a good article on Push Square today which talked about how it was unlikely for Microsoft to pick up a publicly traded Japanese developer as hostile takeovers by a foreign company would be a bit of a disaster and leave to talent jumping ship. I think that mircosoft would need to go for a privately held Japanese company.

I think if Microsoft goes for Ubisoft then alarm bells start ringing for me, I think that’s too much consolidation of major publishers (3 out of 5) and I think the purchase would probably be blocked by the EU. Activision worked on a PR level and a human decency level as it was an absolute sh*t show of a company, Ubisoft has its problems but I think it’s better independent.

While I think it’s great that Microsoft has picked up some great studios and has the chance to revive some amazing IP, I kind of worry what will happen once the Phil Spenser Reign is over. If the grey men and women in suits step in a la Don Matrick it could have serious consequences for the industry, especially if Xbox hold most of the publishers.

Noconfidenceman

GodofCapcom

@Noconfidenceman

I wouldn't worry too much of the next Head of xbox. It hasn't happened. Peter Moore was great.

Even with Ubisoft, MS would still not own enough to be called a monopoly. They would be just above Tencent and Sony and I think they would allow that.

I think Sony is getting Capcom. It would be a similar deal like Bungie. Helping them make movies of their IPs. I think Sony just doesn't want to get hit again by losing another publisher, without getting one beforehand. That's too much hit of the faith of Playstation. People would be there saying Sony is sitting there losing everything and losing faith in them.

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

Noconfidenceman

@RevGaming I mean Don Matrick made the brand into a laughing stock and a meme: tv, call of duty, tv, it can happen, I remember laughing my head off at that E3 presentation and thinking Xbox is toast.

I really hope that Sony doesn’t get Capcom, I just don’t see what they can add to Capcom apart from more fighting game tournaments??? Sony has a pretty poor record of closing studios after one failure, look at any UK studio they’ve owned ( media molecule is only still around because of its BAFTA imo). Plus they have absolutely gutted their other Japanese development teams (good bye gravity rush or games like Ico, patapon ect.).

Capcom are doing really well lately and have had one of there best years in a long time with multi platform releases like Resi 8 and exclusive releases (maybe timed) like rise I can’t see them wanting to cut themselves off from the switch gravy train.

Also games like monster Hunter and resident evil just fit so well with the Xbox and PC audience, I think they would be leaving money on the table.

Edited on by Noconfidenceman

Noconfidenceman

GodofCapcom

@Noconfidenceman

It could happen. It could happen that these publishers also get new bad leaderships. Again. I think you're expecting the worst. Be more optimistic.

I mean Sony could help Capcom hire more people so they don't have to switch between IPs from their 3 divisions. Capcom would also get Sony Pictures for their movies. Capcom also wants to cater to more western audience and be more inclusive and Sony can help them with that.

I disagree. Sony Japan had way more than one opportunity to make a game that caught people's attention. After gravity rush 1, 2 and the last guardian, I mean common. Why would you have them? It's not like they 100% closed it. They converted them to Team Asobi. It's not all gone. I don't think Capcom will start making bad games all of the sudden so I wouldn't worry. I think the opposite will happen. Instead of getting monster hunter and resident evil most of the time, Capcom may have more man power to release dmc, dragons dogma, megaman and news IPs more often. Maybe bring Dino crisis, onimusha and okami back. If they do that, Sony would get good faith in Japan I think. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter barely sell on Xbox. They're more synonymous with Playstation (Just like DMC, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear and FF). Nintendo is more important but it's mostly old ports for the switch so I don't think Sony would change that.

Yeah. Media Molecule is in a weird position, but I wouldn't worry about them just yet. They haven't released a bad yet. Maybe they'll make a PS metaverse/home?

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

BAMozzy

@Noconfidenceman Sony Pictures already made Resident Evil & Monster Hunter movies as well as Joint owning EVO Championship - the esports for Fighting games and had Street Fighter 5 exclusively on Playstation. Being Japanese too would give them a big advantage IF Capcom were looking for a buyer.

If Capcom don't wish to sell, its not good Japanese practice to try and 'aggressively' buy with a 'big' offer. That's not good Japanese business and Sony would lose too much respect in Japan if they tried. Its clear, like with Square Enix, Sony has a working partnership with Capcom beyond just the gaming...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

GodofCapcom

@BAMozzy Exactly. I don't want a hostile takeover. That would be bad for both parties in the long run. Only if they are thinking of selling now that they can ask for a high price because their rise in revenue and consolidation.

Sony doesn't need a publisher. It's just for the ifs they can get taken way from PS.

but Sony absolutely needs to buy FS from Kadokawa and help them with a new engine lol. Kadokawa doesn't care much about gaming and I think you're starting to see FS recycling with what they have. Bloodborne 2 and Demon Souls 2 need to happen. Oh and Bloodborne fps patch!!!!

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

Noconfidenceman

@RevGaming I think that kind of going into the back catalog only works on something like GamePass where content is more important than raw sales numbers, for Sony they would probably focus on a few big franchises that sell well imo. You’ll see all of Capcoms big franchises but you’ll have be be a dad for some reasons as well like god of war or the last of us

From software is an interesting one as they already own like 2% of it and I think Sony own the demon souls and blood borne IPs, but a lot of gamers would miss out if it went platform exclusive at least Xbox games are available elsewhere and on steam.

I just hope no more big fish get snapped up by either of the big 3.

Noconfidenceman

GodofCapcom

@Noconfidenceman I don't mean old ports being ported to ps5 btw.

I mean actual games being revived on new consoles (reboots). You're telling me Dragons Dogma that has the potential reach of an Elder Scrolls or Witcher or a Dino Crisis can't be appealing to the masses? Pragmata would be able to come more often too. Sony can fund more new IPs from Capcom.

Any game that doesn't sell doesn't continue or did you forget Dead Rising and closing the studio at Vancouver? That happens to everything. I'm just saying, Capcom is focusing too much on MH and RE and aren't giving their other IPs as much love. They only coming out with a new IP just now.

You're not playing as a Dad in Horizon, Ratchet, Ghost, Uncharted, Souls Games, Returnal and Spider-man so I don't get your point. Look at Demon Souls, Returnal, Sackboy and Ratchet. They don't sell as much but they still made those and were consider successes for Sony. "Mega hit" for Returnal.

Capcom and Fromsoftware games can still release on PC. Even Bungie is publishing games on Xbox, so Sony is being more open actually.

You hope, but Jim Ryan has unannounced acquisitions and they say there's more and have $10B for acquisitions and said they could increase that amount and Square, Ubisoft, Sega and Capcom fall into that category. Microsoft is also dismissing how big Activision and Blizzard are. They're also coming for more.

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

Noconfidenceman

@RevGaming Its not that I hate Sony, I’m actually big fan of Sony’s games and I have multiple versions of most of their consoles including the PSP ( got it on launch) and the Vita. The dad bit was just a joke btw as Sony seem to have latched onto that formula a little bit, also I remember their being some kind of daddy issues in a crack in time… so ratchet isn’t completely free of it I think haha.

The only thing I’m not a fan of in regards to Sony is Jim Ryan, paid for exclusives (even though Xbox kind of started that with ROTTR) their crappy online architecture (why can’t I change my country store if I move to a new place) and their jettisoning of the Vita.

I also think that a lot of Japanese development is currently geared towards handheld gaming as the Switch is the forerunner in Japan. I think most of the traditional Japanese genres like JRPGs and visual novels actually fit this format better. What would happen to something like Ace Attorney if one of the console manufacturers picked them up, we would be stuck with crappy mobile ports or Ill fitting console versions.

Level 5 is one studio that is suffering atm after Yokai watch seemed to drop off a cliff and would actually benefit from an acquisition at least that way we could see a Dark Cloud 3 (Sony part owned) or maybe something similar if mircosoft bought them.

Edited on by Noconfidenceman

Noconfidenceman

GodofCapcom

@Noconfidenceman Never said that you did hate them. I got the joke don't worry. I know Santa Monica looks up to Naughty Dog even though they can be creative in their own way.

I believe you that Japan develops more for mobile devices, including switch, but Capcom and Square and their biggest games don't come to those. They're the exception. And Sega and Bandai ofc.

Oh I can agree. Ain't no way Sony would make Ace attorney, but Switch wouldn't support Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Dragons Dogma, Pragmata which are far more important. I didn't mention Monster Hunter because that works both ways.

GodofCapcom

EvilSilentFrame

If MS is to purchase more studios after the Activision Blizzard acquisition, I’d like to see them get the 11 studios that AT&T acquired from WB games. I think this would be a strong move for their gamepass.

Netherrealm would give them a fighting game company that Xbox is lacking. They can continue with MK which has been selling very well lately. They can even help out with Killer Instinct as MS has been rumored to wanting to bring that back again. TT Games makes the Lego games. This would give them more “family friendly” games on gamepass. An area Xbox doesn’t have much in.

I know it wouldn’t give MS much in terms of IP’s if they got this buyout as Lego and DC are licensed. Either Xbox can continue paying the license fees or with all the IP’s Xbox has now that are not currently being worked on, some of these talented studios can bring back some of those or create something brand new. It just seems like a huge win to me for Xbox.

The second choice for me would be Sega. I know they are tied with Sammy and there’s a lot in there that MS wouldn’t need. Hotels, merchandise, pachinko machines…. But looking at what both Nintendo and PlayStation are bringing to their online services, is some of their legacy games. They go back farther since Xbox wasn’t in the race back then. Buying Sega would allow them to bring in some serious legacy titles. Many of the same titles that both Nintendo and Sony had on their machines back in the day. Then of course there’s owning the studios Sega has and all their IP’s. There’s a lot that can be done there. It would also get Xbox’s foot in the door a little more in Japan.

Yes both of those are a long shot, but in terms of reasoning why to buy, they make the most sense to me.

EvilSilentFrame

Xbox Gamertag: EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@NahImgood The big reason to care is if somebody else buys them. As an Xbox gamer, how did we enjoy Insomniac Games last release?… we didn’t as Sony owns them. Google, Amazon, Netflix, Apple are just a few looking to buy developers for their own services. Services that may or may not be on Xbox. As an Xbox gamer, we luck out when Microsoft acquires a studio.

Yes, the Xbox games are not exclusive to the console anymore. They can be played now on PC and cloud as well. That’s a wider audience than just Xbox. More players can subscribe and buy games to play outside an Xbox home console. Microsoft is making a bigger profit from that. The more money they make, the more money they can invest into more studios/games.

Microsoft also wants to preserve gaming. Older games tend to disappear. Microsoft wants to keep them around for a long time. Many of us enjoy older games. The next acquisition might be from one of your favorite games. Depending who buys them could have dramatic effects on the legacy of their older titles.

There’s other reasons to care. I have to pick my youngest up from school. If I get time later, I can post some other reasons.

EvilSilentFrame

Xbox Gamertag: EvilSilentFrame

PhhhCough

A studio that's great with time management and overseeing other studios, to make sure they release games in a timely manner.

PhhhCough

LtSarge

So I've been seeing rumours that Sony is going to acquire Square Enix. If that's true, then that would mean that they would have JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean etc. exclusive to PlayStation. And that would be a huge loss for Xbox in terms of JRPGs.

I do think the rumours will turn out to be true considering Sony's investments in making games like Final Fantasy XVI and VII Rebirth exclusive to PlayStation. Not to mention that Square Enix has sold off its Western studios, which makes me think that they are "unloading excess assets" that Sony isn't interested in acquiring in order to drive down the cost for a potential acquisition.

But if this turns out to be the case, then I think it's more important than ever that Microsoft acquires its own JRPG developer. In other words, now would be a good time for them to acquire either Sega and its subsidiaries or just Atlus if Sega is willing to sell them off. Having Persona exclusive to Xbox would definitely balance things out as it's such a beloved JRPG franchise. Not to mention Shin Megami Tensei as well. And if Microsoft wanted more JRPGs, then acquiring the Yakuza/Judgment developer would also be huge for them.

Microsoft has been developing closer relations with Sega and its studios in recent times, so I still stand firm from before that Sega is next on Microsoft's list of acquisitions. Especially if Sony decides to acquire Square Enix, which would mean that Microsoft needs to secure JRPGs of its own.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

BAMozzy

EvilSilentFrame wrote:

As an Xbox gamer, we luck out when Microsoft acquires a studio.

Yes, the Xbox games are not exclusive to the console anymore. They can be played now on PC and cloud as well. That’s a wider audience than just Xbox. More players can subscribe and buy games to play outside an Xbox home console.

They are 'Exclusive' to the Microsoft Ecosystem! Xbox 'stopped' being just the Console, stopped being a 'separate' subsidiary of Microsoft and became the Brand name for the entire Microsoft gaming division. The 'Console' was integrated into Microsoft and became an option for anyone whose circumstance, preference or even budget dictates its the 'best' option - not the 'only' option.

Cloud gaming with Game Pass, regardless of whether you access on iOS/Android mobiles, tablets, TV's etc, Laptop/PC's or any Xbox console (XB1 S/X, Series S/X), you are still playing on a Series X 'chipset' built into servers that actually run the games. You may not be playing on a Local Xbox Console, but you are playing on a Virtual Xbox.

As for the PC, that is running Microsoft Windows so are Microsoft Customers too. As far as 'competing' with Series S/X, good luck trying to buy a gaming Laptop/Desktop that can 'compete' with a Series S for £250 or a Series X for £450. If you have a decent gaming MS Windows PC, why should you have to buy a MS windows console? It makes more sense to play on your PC where you'll play the vast majority of Games because they ALL release on PC too.

As someone with a Series X and Game Pass Ultimate, I can also play on ANY platform, keep my progress and I don't have to buy multiple platform versions to do so. I could start playing Forza Horizon on my Console, maybe then carry on playing on my Samsung Mobile on the Bus/train to work, maybe play on my Windows PC during Lunch break, play on mobile on my way home, play on Console until the wife/kids want to watch something and then play on my Laptop - all without losing progress or having to buy 'multiple' versions. I can do that because its ALL part of the SAME ecosystem...

Cloud is the 'entry' level into the Xbox ecosystem and from as little as $10 a month, you can join Xbox. Chances are you already have some device that can give you access - but its 'limited' to whatever games are available to play that way and reliant on your internet/wifi strength.

Series S is the 'next' level that allows you to also play games 'locally' and offline. Its perfect for HD TV owners too but does come with a £250 entry point. The Series X is the next level up offering a bit more functionality as well as being a better fit for 4k TV's, but a £450 entry point.

PC's are an 'expensive' option and certainly not the 'best' bang for buck - but they do offer more versatility - being an 'Open' platform (not locked like Consoles) and allow you to spend as much as you want/can afford to get the spec you want - but you can't match a Series S/X for the money and have to optimise games yourself to suit your specs. Unless you have a fairly decent PC already you'll need to spend more than $450 to get Series X equivalent visuals/performance.

Regardless, it's still all part of the Xbox (MS's Gaming brand and Xbox is also built into Windows on PC too) and your Xbox Profile/Gamertag/Achievements etc are carried across ALL. It doesn't matter if I earn an Achievement playing on PC, its unlocked on the Console too, so is my save so its all the same game on the same 'platform' essentially because the Platform of 'Xbox' is the entire Microsoft Gaming ecosystem.

If you want to play Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn etc on PC, regardless of whether you bought these on PS, you have to rebuy, none of your progress carries over between them, none of the trophies carry over - because its twoo different ecosystems. Sony put them out on PC to generate more PR for themselves and give their games a 'second' advertising campaign. They wait long enough that the games aren't selling much anymore on console and not going to impact console sales either (those on PC would of bought a PS already if they were 'desperate' to play) so it 'benefits' Sony.

If MS did the same, they would be catering to 'some' of their Customers and annoying the rest as they are ALL Microsoft gamers. MS were always a Software company and wanted MS Office in every household - now they have Xbox in every household - whether a 'fixed spec locked system' (console), variable spec open System (PC) or a system that can access a Virtual Xbox (cloud). Almost everyone has an iOS/Android device so have Xbox already.

MS won't care if you decide not to buy a Series S/X but opt to play on PC - you are still part of the Xbox Ecosystem.

Sony and Nintendo only have their own Hardware - that is their ecosystem and the only way to get you in to that is by making games only on their hardware so you have to buy their hardware which if your Sony, you'll likely sell at a loss initially and hope to make that back on the fact you have someone in your 'locked' ecosystem - getting money from services (PS+) and EVERY game, MTX, add-on etc sold - even Physical 3rd party multi-platform games. They use 'exclusives' to get you in so that 'every' penny spent enjoying gaming benefits them. Xbox uses Exclusives to get you into their 'ecosystem' too - and their console still benefits them in the same way, but its not the ONLY option. I have to buy a PS5 to play R&C for example but don't have to buy a Series console to play MSFS - but you do need to be in the Xbox ecosystem...

People buy a Switch because its the only place to play Zelda, Mario etc. They may buy because it offers portability too. People buy a PS5 because its the only place to play Sony's 1st party games on Day 1 because its the ONLY option available to play those games. People buy Series S/X because its the 'best' option for them, the best 'bang for buck', because it suits their preferences, their budget, their situation. The fact its selling well, despite the fact that everyone probably has a iOS/Android device or access to a Laptop/PC so didn't 'need' to buy these consoles proves that it is their choice and suits their preference, budget or circumstance...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

hypnotoad

Housemarque.

Purely for the brilliant Returnal.

hypnotoad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic