Forums

Topic: Uhh guys, my series x just died

Posts 181 to 200 of 240

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean That's pretty benign. It both serves as a bit of hype material, as well as an exceedingly polite request not to share spoilers (which....there's not much to spoil in that game, other than Korok Forest, but ok?) Pretty standard fare and not really leading about how to review it. But they did do a job up-selling the platform in general to set the tone of hype. Mostly I find Reggies the funniest about how they took great efforts to get their game release schedule just right...... He forgot to mention that was a one time deal.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

I don't know, they are directly addressing the reviewers about the new hardware and game, "We hope that you enjoy", "I'm looking forward to seeing all your articles"... Of course, they are not going to ask for positive reviews but this is the closest thing.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Nah, that's standard fare. Back in the days of physical review code every game came with a hype sheet just like that. I've seen worse ones that were a bit more pressuring for positive outcomes where they didn't exactly threaten to cut you off, but left the impression they might dangling.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Banjo-

I also like how the made sure that nobody reviewed the Wii U version, the one I played for hundreds of hours. The villages still are a frame slaughter fest even after all the patches.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean I really wonder how the WiiU version was ever supposed to have worked. They spent years on it, but even the cut down version had terrible performance, and that was without it using half the resources to render a second display on the Gamepad. And they were still having problems with the physics at the end of the WiiU lifecycle.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

Well, it was a Wii U game, they cancelled the Wii U GamePad video and the background memory for the OS and they asked Monolith to finish the game 😂. It's not a miracle, the smallest villages run at 10fps.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

@NEStalgia My Elite Controller Series 1 died while playing Doom Eternal. I'm not upset because it's a launch model and I have been using it since then. Some thumbstick rubber had broken, the rubber grips had fallen and yesterday the left bumper died 😂. That is the first button to die. I just bought a Elite Controller Series 2!

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Oof. That's a lot of wear, though for sure. Doom Eternal alone is a controller devouring demon

Did the bumper die, or did it just break? The broken bumpers are actually the infamous flaw of the V1, right behind the rubber grips falling off. If the switch just stopped functioning totally it can't be fixed, but if the plastic bridge cracked, that's a simple repair for a universal problem, like joycon drift. Parts are like $5 on Amazon if that's the problem (They used a plastic bridge that connects both bumpers, which tends to crack since the bumpers are metal and don't flex with it. V2 reinforced that. )

You're going to like the Elite V2 though....it's an upgrade all around (even though I don't use the stick tension feature, I like the light tension that's default.) Even if they end up announcing a V3 with Dual Sense features for the same price like 20 minutes after you open it lol But I like mine enough I got a second for backup to keep in storage during the sale last month. I put off upgrading until like 4 months ago, but I absolutely love it now. Ergonomically alone, it's just better. I too don't like the non-replaceable battery, but I have to admit the charging case is very very cool. (You just leave the case plugged in, and just drop the controller in it as a dock/cradle.)

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia The left bumper broke throwing grenades 😂. It's loose inside so it's not the plastic bridge but the switch inside. I had heard of the rubber grips falling off but have you heard of the thumbstick rubber breaking or is it just me and the pH of my sweat (like a friend said)? LOL I read a review yesterday and it says that the battery lasts over 40 hours so at least the battery lasts for long. Actually, I was using the Elite 1 connected with the cable and it didn't bothered me, it was actually cool not having to replace rechargeable batteries and the cable is long enough.

I haven't noticed ergonomic differences between the two models yet, what are they? Also, this might sound weird but I prefer the bigger size of the Elite than the size of the Series X/S controller. I love the paddles for shooters.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Haha, I'm surprised I haven't broken bumpers in that way. I haven't heard of the Elite thumbstick rubber breaking off. Launch PS4 DS4 controllers though had a problem with the thumbstick rubber, mine all cracked off, though, so it's not impossible for a defect in the rubber to exist. I haven't heard of that specifically for any XB controller though.

Those should be easily replaceable. OEM replacements for V1 probably don't exist anymore (SCUF makes some alternate ones though), but replacement sticks for V2 are still sold separately in the "tune up kit", if it happens again.

Yeah, the battery on the V2 is enormous, it goes forever, so until it ages, running out of charge shouldn't be an issue. Ever. And you get an added benefit running wired of even less latency and no interference, so it's more "pro" to run it wired (most of the 3rd party pro controllers are wired only, and the Elites have that nice long, braided cable specifically for running it wired in part because competition environments don't allow wireless. Too much radio interference in a crowded place.)

The V2 design kind of sits between the X1 and XS stock controller designs. The controller is smaller and the curves are brought in to finer tapers, the triggers have the stippled surface that the XS controllers do vs smooth. The bumpers are tapered to fit the hand a bit more (but not as deep a taper as the XS controllers.) Vs V1, obviously the rubber grip goes all the way around the handles now rather than only on the back. The paddles are shorter and don't protrude into the grip area as much. The weight is more balanced vs top-heavy.

The thing with the V2 is it's basically a shell design modded slightly from an X1 stock controller, and marked basically the half step toward the XS design. The XS basically copied the V2 shell and continued some modifications on that. The V1 was never really a true X1 controller in shape, it was it's own design entirely, and the very wide stance made it almost Duke-like more than X1 like.

Strangely, I think the Elite V1 and the Dual Sense have similarly large wide grips. Which is probably why Dual Sense is the first Sony controller I actually like....but I like my V2 and XS controller ergonomics somewhat more. I think Dual Sense and V1 are a little bit TOO wide/thick on the grips. But both Dual Sense and V1 have a stance that's thicker and wider than either the XS or the X1 controller. V2 is a bit larger/wider than the XS controller, similar to the X1 controller but tapered in just a bit more.

Personally I do prefer the new shorter paddles on the V2. The V1 paddles annoyed me by sticking out so far over the grip. If I gripped the controller normally, I'd accidentally keep squeezing the bottom paddles. if I tried to grip it loose, it would be tiring to hold trying to keep the hand open wider without resting on things. The V2 brought them up a bit so they don't interfere with the grip, but I can still just squeeze the bottom paddles with the top of my hand. Doom and Halo which rely on L3 for running, constantly, and R3 non-stop for melee practically NEED a controller with paddles. That's torture using stick clicks that often! I played a while yesterday with the stock controller and after having played hours with my paddles it was pure hand-murder!

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia What tune-up kit has official replacement parts for Series 2? I haven't really used the Series 2 yet but holding both in my hands for a moment, I didn't notice the differences in size (that's what I really meant) but I'm sure that I'll notice all the things that you explained, some of them I read in the review. When I hold the Series X/S controller, I immediately notice that it's smaller so I was wondering if the Series 1 and Series 2 are the same size. Are you sure that they aren't the same size? Perhaps I just need to use it to notice. I also have noticed that about the Series 1 paddles, that the long ones are unnecessarily long and go way too low along the grips so that's one of the best things about S2. I don't enjoy clicking the sticks for running and jumping either. Those shooters kind of need an Elite controller for what you said and also for platforming (in Doom Eternal), including dashing. All that make the platforming in Doom Eternal more enjoyable that in Metroid Prime with a GameCube controller.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean That's a good question. I know I saw the accessory/tuneup kits when I was browsing the MS store, but I can't find it now. Maybe it has a different name I'm not remembering, but I know I saw it there a few months back.... Maybe it's not a thing anymore.

It's definitely a bit smaller and narrower than the V1. The X1 controller was smaller and narrower than the V1. I think the "bigger is better" mentality hit the V1 design when they decided to sell a $175 controller, it should "look $175"

Yeah, there's so many games I never touch the paddles on, and on the V1 I actually just took the bottom paddles off, they caused more harm than good, except for the few games that make you click the sticks non-stop!

NEStalgia

Banjo-

Yeah, the Series 1 long paddles are annoying, I have only used them for shooters. When you say X1, do you mean the Xbox One controller? I have never had that one! That's unusual for an Xbox One owner, isn't it? Unless his first Xbox was the Xbox One Elite Bundle 😝. My first Xbox controller was the Elite Series 1, my second Xbox controller was the Series X controller and my new controller is the Elite Series 2 that I'm about to try now.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean LOL, ahh, that makes sense now how you'd be unfamiliar with the controller evolution! Yeah, so, the actual X1 controller is pretty different in dimensions and feel from the Elite V1. The X1 controller was a very big redesign of the 360 S controller, but the Elite V1 was kind of developed by itself and wasn't a directly modeled on the X1 controller shape specifically, whereas the Elite V2 IS Modeled on the X1 controller shape directly, with some evolution on the design. Then the Series controllers are mostly modeled on the changes made for the V2, but with more design evolution.

So 360 was it's own design. X1 was its own design. Elite 1 was its own design. Elite 2 is modeled as an enhanced X1 design, and the Series is designed as a modified (and downgraded) Elite 2 design. I'm sure Elite 3 whenever it exists will then be a modified Series design unless they want to go radical and make it different again (or fit haptic modules inside.)

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Yep that's the reason! I just tried it a bit but I love the Elite Series 2 this far, it's like the Elite Series 1 but better and I like it more than the Series X/S controller (although I am impressed by its D-pad), not just for the obvious reasons but also the texture and size which are the first things I noticed. The only thing that I don't like about Elite Series 1 & 2 is the grey buttons. My favourite buttons are the fully-coloured ones that you only get on Xbox Design Lab.

EDIT: I didn't use the Xbox One X controller either because I sold it with the Xbox One to keep the Elite Series 1.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@SplooshDmg We were talking a while ago about how much "growth" the industry had in terms of how hard it is to get consoles now, and all the extra demand, and couldn't figure out what's really driving demand. But based on the numbers from an NL article from a Niko Partners analyst, there definitely isn't any at all. I'm not sure where the whole "PS sold more than PS4 launch" thing Sony keeps throwing around, but it looks like the actual numbers are just dire across the industry. There's not a surge in demand since 2014, there's half the inventory.

The PS4, XB1 and Wii U (yes Wii U) sold more in Nov 2014 than Switch + PS5 + Xbox Series in Nov 2021.

PS4 + XBO sales in the US in November 2014: ~2.05 million
PS5 + XBS sales in the US in November 2021: ~1.15 million

That pretty plainly answers are question that there is little to no (if not negative) growth in Western markets. That new "growth" and surge in demand, then would indeed appear to be coming from growing into new global markets, and have little or nothing to do with additional growth in existing markets. This implies they cut US shipments in half, spread them around the world to new markets, and any additional units they made went to those new markets, and then they beat their chests boasting about the best sales ever. Yeah, because warlords in Bongo Bongo can now buy hundreds of Xboxes with their drug money for distribution. Yay globalism. Still doesn't explain why the companies are moronic enough to not do regional staggered launches rather than trying to supply a single product for the entire planet all at once, all made in a single location.... I kinda miss console region locking. I understand the purpose now.

@BlueOcean Haha, yeah, it's definitely my favorite controller. I haven't held an XS controller with the rubber grips, that probably brings the feel a bit closer, and I'm sure Series 3 will feel more like the XS controller whenever it comes out (they'd be crazy to do it this year with the chip shortages),

Ahh, yeah, the X360 style full color buttons. I think they're kind of visually "loud" and are seen as kind of a throwback to 90's Sega and Nintendo consoles, and the understated more "professional" looking buttons replaced them for the more minimalist design language of the newer consoles. Heck, even Nintendo went with white on black now... But the one thing I really miss about them is that it made QTE much easier. I don't necessarily look at the buttons, but I think it was easier to mentally have an image when you see a blue X or a yellow Y to remember which is where. Same on PS. They got rid of color totally as well, and green for triangle and pink for square is a mental connection I have to make as I see QTEs. I was thinking about that yesterday I was forced to do the karaoke QTEs in Yakuza and doing a very bad job with it

NEStalgia

dmcc0

@NEStalgia I'm not saying the demand is or isn't there, but it's pretty hard to draw accurate conclusions from comparing a single month's sales in a single country - especially with a global component shortage making it particularly difficult to actually buy the consoles.

dmcc0

NEStalgia

@dmcc0 That's my point though. There was discussion earlier about tremendous growth in demand. But it appears the supply constraint means there's half the consoles available in what is traditionally the #1 market, for PS & XB consoles, so there's no particular indication of actual market growth within a given market. That market growth therefore means worldwide and all the newer markets which is fairly meaningless in terms of "growth" if gaming hasn't particularly grown in a market that already bought games, and that growth is coming from countries that simply didn't previously buy games/consoles at all. Yes, for shareholders that matters. Sell all the games in China and India, yay! But "the market grew because we never sold in country X and now we do sell in country x" isn't the same thing as "substantially more people in a given market want to buy consoles than did previously." But in terms of what the market is doing in an existing market, global sales numbers are less than meaningful. I'd said pages back I wanted to see regional numbers by market, and this, finally, is that. And it's, frankly, shocking. I never imagined to see numbers that dire while both companies promote more units sold than last time. I assume they're shoring the US and EU/UK because they assume as established markets we'll buy them whenever they get around to us, so in effect are committing mostly to inventory in new markets to establish a base and keeping us dangling in a pseudo-launch because we're already on the hook.

Yes, that's one month data, but it's arguably the biggest month of the year, and indicates half - HALF the sales from 2014, due to lack of supply. So the scarcity of sales is not due to a rise in demand at all, but merely the shortage of supply. They're not failing to keep up with an unexpected surge in demand. They're failing to keep up with stupidly launching in so many markets including tons of new markets, all at once to the point of shorting existing markets severely in order to serve these new entry markets. Selling more consoles than before is meaningless outside investor circles if the reality is they're selling less consoles in their existing primary markets.

The real point is we were lead to believe so many more units were made available vs PS4/X1 launch across all companies, especially Sony, but at least at that snapshot in time in the #1 market, sales suggest the opposite. Sales suggest only about half that. Worse, the majority of those sales were probably Series S, and not Series X or PS5 at all, considering how much more abundant they seem to be. Sony may have moved less than half the number of Playstations in the US than they did in Nov 2014 for example, if Series S, due to availability made up much of that.

It also changes the scope of what percentage of inventory scalpers represent. We're looking at far, far lower available numbers in a given market than the last gen, so the scalpers actually represent a much greater portion of sales than we presumed as well.

It goes back to earlier comments that "global launches" are idiotic, and that's being polite. If you're going to do a global launch, you need regional production to do it, not just "build it all in China and ship it out all on the same day." That worked for regional launches where it happened in waves. The chip shortage makes it worse by far, but the reality is it helps highlight just how stupid the design is, shortage or no.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia How come you haven't held a Series X/S controller?

The QTE are one of the reasons why I love the fully-coloured buttons. Having been a Nintendo player all my life, it's no surprise that my first Xbox game was Rare Replay. In Grabbed by the Ghoulies (that I beat 100% and yes, loved it!), there are very challenging QTE because you have to press a long sequence of buttons very quickly and the buttons and colours are different from Nintendo's. It's weird for a Nintendo/Xbox player to press A, B, X and Y and not be confused and that was my first time playing on Xbox. I beat it but it was hard. Now, I'm very used to the Xbox layout and even colours because of the games UI and whenever I play on Nintendo I try not to think much about the different layout. On SNES, B is for accepting and at the same position as Xbox's A so it's like Xbox and unlike modern Nintendo. If I play on Nintendo, I try to play thinking that it's all reversed and if it's on SNES Classic, B is just as good as A on Xbox. Playing most games on Xbox is convenient to make Xbox the default layout 😁.

Banjo-

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.