Forums

Topic: Uhh guys, my series x just died

Posts 221 to 240 of 240

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean If you loved TMS, you almost certainly should love WoFF. It's certainly not close to the same thing, but I think there's a lot in each for someone who enjoyed the other, even if it's very different. Woff goes for being basically a Cliff's Notes of the entire FF series, including gameplay elements, all in a chibi light hearted package. But TMS will always have a special place in the collection. It had the whole package, really. I never understood the hate for it.

Yeah, WoFF certainly works well enough even if you've never played FF before, but the more FF lore (and internet in-jokes) you know about FF history, the more you'll grin while playing it. There's tons of little out-of-character or self-aware in-character moments that are jovial alone, but more fun if you know the characters. Small things, just something they're doing off to the side, or something they say, but it's just a collection of little nods to the character history. It's enjoyable even for someone that's never touched and FF game before, but theres a ton of easter eggs and fanservice if you have (Going all the way back to FF1!) Or I guess now it's....whatever that new DMC crossover FF1 remake on PS thing is...

It definitely sounds like you had a better time with BD than I did! I was going OK, but the latter part, around the vampire boss or a little before, it just shifted into what seemed like a min/max game where you had to keep grinding all the asterisks to the same level your original asterisk was. So I'd end up just walking in a circle for like 5 hours grinding everyone each time I needed a new asterisk, and that's not fun at all. (I really hate the jobs system)

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia The job system would have been better with fewer jobs. I think I'll play WoFF after the FF games. So, the Final Fantasy games that I've played this far are:

I (GBA)
IV (DS)
VIII (Xbox)
X/X-2 (PS4)
XV (Xbox)

I will play II with gamefaqs on the laptop as I played I. III on DS (3DS, I mean), V with the English patch on SNES Classic, VI on GBA or SNES Classic, VII Remake on Xbox, IX waiting for a remake, will it happen?, skip XI (MMORPG), XII on Xbox (I already bought it), XIII Trilogy on Xbox (I bought it when it was made available on Xbox One, when you said that that and VII on Xbox wouldn't happen 😝) and skip XIV (MMORPG).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean I still have to finish X-2 and wrap up XV (I did most of the side quests on XV but never continued the last few bits before heading into the infamous last stretch of the game. Someday I'll get to it. Cloud saves are forever I haven't done 7R yet either. I'll get the yuffie DLC since it'll be on sale. I played it to see what it was like...it's interesting....it's....not FF7...

I still want so much to be able to get into XIV. People tell me it's basically the best FF game, and the best story. I tried it with the free trial on PS5 with the update last year and I just couldn't quite grasp it at all. The interface was terrible. And I don't want to play with others. PPL told me that you can basically solo it and do bosses with randos and it's fine, but I couldn't even get interested. I figure when it comes to XB someday, eventually, i'll probably be on Game Pass to launch (plus subscription of course), maybe give it a second chance.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Yes, XIV will come to Xbox apparently and I'm willing to try it then. I was expecting a new Final Fantasy MMOPRG to be available but the game is running since 2013 on PC, PS3, PS4 and PS5 so there must be a reason for that.

I loved XV. I even completed the "impossible" dungeon (Pitioss Ruins) which is very annoying because although XV improved the controls, Final Fantasy controls are kind of stiff. Not really stiff in this game because the controls are smooth but still a bit uncontrollable and semi-automatic, like you don't really have full control. Imagine completing a very challenging platforming world (dungeon) while controlling the camera, with the platforms and environment spinning in 3D and the perspective not making clear which way to jump to land on the next platform. I still don't know how I did it. After that, there was little else to do but complete very minor quests, at least one of them is missable because the objective disappeared so you can say I basically got 100%. I enjoyed all my time with it except that optional part and it's one of my most-played Xbox games (I played it on Xbox One X).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean I've never heard a bad word said about xiv, by all accounts it's fantastic. I hate that I couldn't really get into it. In some ways PS5 is the better system for it because the track pad is actually useful as mouse in that one game only. That's probably why it has a track pad at all!

I, too enjoyed xv (so far). I get the hate... It's not really a good ff game, but it's a very unique game overall and generally fun to play. I think a lot of complaints are just because it's an arpg rather than turn based. And yeah, it's weird. But good weird. Still have to finish it. I think it'd just about completed the last quest for the newspaper guy and cleaned up most of the other available quests to that point.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia XV is not like the other FF games but I found the open world more interesting to explore and beautiful than any other, including Breath of the Wild's. The controls are great for the most part except for that ridiculously difficult platforming world. It's an action RPG but it's not button mashing, I always had some strategy. The only part that didn't seem to work is casting magic without damaging team mates as they roam freely and their AI is low. Do you think that FF IX will get a remaster or remake? I tried it on Game Pass and it looked so bad.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean I kind of loved the whole Route 66 diner thing....there was this charm to it that kind of put you back in a timeless world. Someday I really have to get back to the rest of that game. The one negative about it is the Monster Hunter obsession the FF team has had for a few generations now. FF should be FF, not MH. Still, I loved the kind of whimsy of XV despite the tragedy core of it. I fear the "Western" XVI, despite going back to medieval (finally!), will lose all the charm and whimsy that makes FF. The trailer shows lots of blood, which just isn't FF. It's like the FF team decided to remake Witcher 3. But we'll see.

Oh, wow, IX is my favorite. It's Sakaguchi's favorite, too. But it was never a top game in popularity. I almost can't imagine them remaking it like they did with FF7, it just doesn't have that huge cult market. Plus, that's a game that if they tried to remake it, they'd definitely ruin it. The pseudo-8-bit charm is part of it's charm even back in the 90's when it released. And they can't squeeze a 10 year trilogy out of it. It hasn't aged great, and it's hard to play now, and yet, I don't know if it would work as a "reimagining" FF style. A remaster would be nice, but, if the FFVIII remaster is anything to go by, it wouldn't actually look or handle any better....

I want the game to magically become modern, and yet I don't see a way it actually happens, or a way it's not ruined if it does happen. I'd buy it anyway though. I love that game....

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I agree about the Monster Hunter thing. I also wonder why would Square Enix want to make the next Final Fantasy bloody? Final Fantasy shouldn't be that. XV has this USA thing but okay, it's cool, I don't mind it. I like the soundtrack, too. Each FF is unique but don't make it Monster Hunter nor The Witcher 3. The best thing for me was exploring and travelling the world which is stunning and the battles work fine for the most part. I even liked the controls, they're fluid. It's very enjoyable to play. Since the only games that are on Game Pass now are XII and XIII, which I own, I'll play some other. II, perhaps. The others afterwards.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean If Square management were competent they wouldn't be Square. I mean they dumped key franchises to have everyone working on Avengers, which is still failing. They've rented Crystal out to Microsoft for Perfect Dark. They lost IOI, a colossal screw up. They're sitting on classic FF remasters where they insist there's no market on console and tons o mobile. And now they're repeating their '00's mistake of chasing that western CoD market by making their games "more adult/Western/bloody/grimdark" because they'll "sell more." Plus a reimagining of FF1 as a grimdark bloody game directed by the DMC director. Sure, DMC is great....but why FF as DMC?? Nothing about XVI looks like FF to me. Fantasy is fun, but dark fantasy in a Western bloody format? As FF? Eww.

IDK if they'll be timed PS exclusives or full PS exclusives, but I have to say, I'm not super excited for either of them. Let alone Squares other PS exclusive, Forespoken looks pretty bland and generic.... I compared it to being an engine demo for the next Assassin's Creed, but without any of the cool Assassin stuff. That's not on Sony, that's on Square.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

IOI? What is the FF1 reimagining?

Banjo-

Banjo-

@NEStalgia You write wall texts yet you can't write the proper names for me to understand 😂. I started the rinse and repeat part in Bravely Default and it's as you thought. It's impossible to get past any of the dragons or re-bosses without grinding jobs and do specific strategies even on "Easy" mode. It's a pity, this game without so many jobs and so many overpowered bosses would have been fine. On the bright side, they're supposed to be "optional" (not sure I'd have realised since I haven't reached the end) and you can grind automatically with the auto battle mode turned on but still, I'm not liking the final parts of Bravely Default (it's chapter 5).

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean IO Interactive (hitman, 007 tbd), they were started as a division of square, then square treated them like garbage, then was going to close them down until they managed to buy themselves out from square and go independent.).

Ff1v reimagining.... Honestly I can't remember the name. It was part of a Sony event last year and ps just covered it again recently. But it's basically a retelling of the ff1 story, much darker and it's an action game from the director of devil may cry (the real DMC not ninja theories bad DmC....). I'm sure the game will play great but the whole idea sounds horrible.

Haha, at least I didn't misremember how dire bravely default gets!

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia The map gets literally splattered with rehashed bosses with more health points and even the dialogues are repeated. It's chapter 5, I feel that I have to beat the game anyway after all these years. This is the cheapest way to make a game longer, repeating the bosses and making them stronger. Is should be a new game mode. It was fine until chapter 4 but now I understand all the complaints on the NL thread. Where did you stop playing?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Banjo- yep chapter 5.... It still has some unique story buried in the muck. I think I forced myself through 5 and into 6. At that point I couldn't take it anymore before reading that after that there's like 3 MORE rehashes and I debated settling it in smash.... Like with a brick and a sledge hammer with the cartridge between....

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Wait, do you mean three more rehashed bosses or three times all the bosses again? Who designed this game?

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Banjo- Oh yeah, there's more... And more... And more... It almost makes sense from a narrative standpoint, but it's just awful from a gameplay standpoint. Though some people live for impossible boss battle rushes and love the game... So maybe it's just niche?

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I haven't enjoyed the game since chapter 4. The problem I see is that the bosses are a damage sponge indeed so you were not exaggerating. To beat them feels satisfying but only the first time. It's not a Sonic boss that you enjoy every time you play because you just hit it eight times while avoiding the attacks. Bosses in Bravely Default should be once and done and perhaps unlock a new game or new mode. The map has lost its meaning since chapter 4 because I just fly to the next dot to deal with the same boss. I can't remember being this disappointed with a game that I liked at first, ever. If some people like this okay but what about the rest of the players? It feels more a chore than a game now, not so sure that I want to finish it now.

I'm halfway through then:

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/bravely_default_the_f...

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Banjo- Yep. And the damage sponge bosses apply to Octopath, too. Though you only fight them once.

To be fair, bravely is super controversial, and I think the reception of the repetition it's generally negative. They didn't repeat that particular design disaster in the sequels. But after playing the first, the general rinse and repeat feel of the sequels just felt tired and I wasn't motivated to play though them...

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia It's good to know that we're not alone. You say that they didn't repeat that particular design in the sequels so what do you mean by the general rinse and repeat feel of the sequels?

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Banjo- in bravely second, there's.... It's a new story... But also a rerread of places for the party .. Now in properly flowing time, but revisiting places triggers flashbacks from the first 6 times you had to visit them ... Then again, is bravely second a sequel? I thought it was until bravely default 2 happened. So it's just stand alone full price dlc then?

Bravely 2 is an all new cast, art style, and a lot of design changes. I actually like the towns more than 1 and 1.5. quests are better done and more traditional too. But... The gameplay, the gimmick bosses and the grind remain. I think bd1 has the best story and characters up through chapter 4. Bd1.5 feels unnecessary to me. Bd2 is probably the best game, gameplay wise.... But 1 and 1.5 kind of wore me out on the formula, personally. It's probably better than I'm giving it credit for.

Then again there's still "something" about smtv that isn't hooking me. And I'm a big smt fan. The frame rate might be part of it though, I'm just spoiled by smooth games now. And it's getting a little bit more hooking as I get closer to the first boss/Tokyo tower.

NEStalgia

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.