Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 841 to 860 of 3,356

ralphdibny

@themightyant cheers and yep! Totally agree with what you've said. It's nice when Captain America lifts Thor's hammer in Avengers Endgame but not so nice when a random Daily Mail article headline someone sees in passing elevates their moderate temperament to something more extreme. I've actually done a total ban on "news" in my life now, I've told my partner emphatically to not discuss headlines and news articles with me because I'm just not interested in having additional emotional investment in something that I wouldn't have otherwise. I've also swapped the way I do Rewards too and do the bing stuff on Xbox and the Edge stuff on mobile now, that way I'm not even remotely inclined to skim through the headlines on the Bing mobile App which is something that usually results in elevated anxiety and depression.

Did you ever watch that programme called Nathan Barley? I think it came out in like 2005 and was by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris (The Day Today, Brasseye, Four Lions etc). It was a bit of a joke but somehow managed to predict what life would be like ten to fifteen years later with regards to like social media, influencers, trash content, trends and buzzwords. Super weird but well worth a watch if you are into that sort of comedy

See ya!

ralphdibny

heya @SplooshDmg , do you want to be added to the tag list for this thread or are you just dipping in for some Psychonauts 2 chatter? Either's fine! Also, there's no obligation to play the monthly game if you aren't inclined to do so

See ya!

ralphdibny

I think that's more or less a wrap on the votes by the deadline. The Evil Within has come out on top over Outlast. Feel free to keep voting for the gamepass selections but we are going to drop Outlast from this month's possibilities because the opportunity to buy it at an incredibly reduced price will be gone in a day or 2.

Game Pass:
The Evil Within - 5 (sarge, antifyre, krzystf, mndny, myself
Alien Isolation - 1 (myself
Dead Space - 3 (dmc, krzystf, myself
Doom 3 - 2 (dmc, myself

GwG:
Maid of Sker - 1 (myself
Little Nightmares - 1 (myself
The Raven Remastered - 1 (myself
Call of Cthulhu - 1 (myself
Styx: Shards of Darkness - 2 (mightyant, myself

Paid/Game Pass:
Outlast games - 4 (sarge, antifyre, mightyant, myself

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @John117 @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @Beagle @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @The_New_Butler @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666

See ya!

Krzzystuff

So challenger just finished Pshyconauts 1 and man was that a great game. I can only imagine how great it must have been when it launched as it really held up well.

Right after i finished it i just jumped into Pshyconauts 2 as i had it installed and man do you see the drastic improvement they made. Really looking forward to playing through this game as it really looks awesome

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

dmcc0

So I decided to give Psychonauts 2 a chance mainly due to reading the thoughts of others on here - and the reward points punch card also helped! - and... I 'm not really feeling it to be honest.

Level design/art style I quite liked, controls are ok, story seems like it relied pretty heavily on the previous game (at least in the early part of the game) but even that didn't bother me too much. It was just missing something for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just no urge for me to carry on playing after the first level or so.

dmcc0

LtSarge

@Krzzystuff Congrats mate! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the first game as many people didn't feel it's held up that well. I personally thought it was a good time and I didn't feel like it had aged poorly. Maybe I just got used to it fairly quickly!

Also nice to see that you've started up the second game. Man it's such a major improvement compared to the first one in terms of story, characters, visuals and so on. Not to mention how freaking creative the levels are. Psychonauts is definitely one of the most creative franchises I've ever experienced.

@dmcc0 Sorry to hear that mate. Maybe it was tough getting motivated because you didn't play the first game? Also, how much do you like 3D platformers? Maybe it's just not your type of game. Not all games are for everyone after all.

LtSarge

K1LLEGAL

I’m happy with any of the 4 Gamepass noms tbh. I’m not the best at spooky games (lol) and I have my first child on the way in October so not sure how much I will participate that month.

Regarding Psychonauts 2… I completed it yesterday and today have managed to go back through and get the 1000gs (not going to lie - I used a guide for a couple of figments because JEEZ but got almost all myself). I thought it was incredible and loved every second.

I never played the first, and I know what @dmcc0 is saying regarding the story being reliant on it to begin with; but once you reach the Atrium it does feel like it’s starting it’s own story from there. It’s my single-player GOTY so far (I won’t count Yakuza 6 as it’s older; and It Takes Two would be my multiplayer GOTY so far).

And for those that know… I have the Grulovia theme stuck in my head.

Edited on by K1LLEGAL

https://youtube.com/channel/UCD-3o2EEiJcF3KpTxgD97EQ

https://www.instagram.com/thelovelysnack/

K1LLEGAL

@Balta666 Yea haha - at least if you revisit that part you can skip it then fortunately.

K1LLEGAL

@Balta666 You could just use the “little buddy” to switch between areas, so didn’t need to use the car. And you could collect everything that way too. I made the same mistake at first; accidentally went back on the car. Tried pressing everything too haha!

dmcc0

@LtSarge It's not a genre I've gone too deep into to be fair, but I've enjoyed what I have played. Most of the usual stuff like Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank trilogy collections on PS3, first couple of Crash games, a few 3D Sonics and of course the 3d Mario games - Galaxy is one of my all-time favourites.

It's maybe that I just don't have any nostalgia for the likes of Banjo or the original Psychonauts as I didn't play them at the time so going back and playing them now they just don't hold up to modern games, although I'd say they've definitely aged better than some - I recently tried to replay Sonic Adventure and Tomb Raider Revelations on Dreamcast and they were not how I remembered them at all; the controls were just horrible!

dmcc0

LtSarge

@dmcc0 Ah I see. It's interesting though that you mention Banjo and the original Psychonauts because both of those are collectathons. Maybe you just don't like collecting a lot of stuff in 3D platformers? I've read some reviews where people were complaining about that aspect of Psychonauts 2, even though there was a lot of collecting in the first game as well.

LtSarge

dmcc0

@LtSarge Yeah, that's maybe it. I really didn't like that aspect of Banjo and if it had been a more linear level design with a start and finish I'd have likely enjoyed it more, even with the collecting aspect; like the stars in Galaxy for example.
An open level where you just have to find x amount of stuff really doesn't appeal to me at all - especially where there are multiple types of collectibles like in Banjo. I think Psychonauts was the same too with multiple different collectibles per level.

dmcc0

K1LLEGAL

I love collectathons so this was perfect for me! At least collectathons where nothing is missable. I grew up spending a lot of time on N64 with their incredible collectathon collection that that console collected. DK64 was my favourite game for a very long time. And that is King of collectathons.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic