Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🛢️Still Wakes the Deep🛢️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (Jul)

Posts 2,941 to 2,960 of 3,538

oliverp

@Balta666 Sure I would be happy to be included in the conversation. Hopefully I could come with a suggestion or two at some in time

oliverp

NintendoByNature

Probably the wrong thread to ask 😉 .....but wondering if I should play this or RE8 in parallel with starfield

NintendoByNature

ralphdibny

@NintendoByNature haha, this definitely!

In all seriousness though, I'd probably play this if I had to choose. I might want to save Resi for a playthrough with all my attention as opposed to having it vye for my time against Starfield

See ya!

ralphdibny

I finished the second part of the game so I guess I'm about half way through?

I have a tip for the generic monsters you see a lot during the second part, basically just hide until their music dies down and they disappear completely. If you are in the dark then just light your lamp every now and then so you don't take sanity damage while not using too much oil and wait for the intense music to stop completely and the monster will be gone when you go. I don't think the monsters respawn after they've despawned but there are quite a few that spawn after you trigger random criteria.

To be honest though, if a monster kills you, you basically just respawn near where you died and the monster just ignores you and disappears after that.

See ya!

NintendoByNature

Ok, I'm DLing the collection. Does anyone have a suggestion on what game to start with? I know nothing of the series fyi.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Balta666 ok that's what I went with. Only fired it up for 10-15 to get a feel for it. Not sure I like the controls just yet, but we'll see.

Also: 2nd vote for me. Solar Ash

[Edited by NintendoByNature]

NintendoByNature

ralphdibny

Hmmm, just had a look at the game pass quests and it mentions a fourth Amnesia game called The Bunker. It only came out in June this year though so I guess it won't leave until next year. I think the Collection and Rebirth are pegged (but not confirmed) to leave at the end of this month so I was hoping to work my way through all of them before then.

So release order is

The Dark Descent + Justine DLC
Machine for Pigs
Rebirth
The Bunker

[Edited by ralphdibny]

See ya!

ralphdibny

I finished off the Cistern area just now, looks like I'm on the final stretch!

See ya!

ralphdibny

Rolling credits now, I faffed about doing a fetch quest for a while that seemed to have no effect on the ending. I looked it up and looks like there are 3 ways to end the game, I'm just going to see if I can reload a save to try the other endings.

Edit: yeah you can, just watched the fetch quest ending and I am going to do the final ending in a minute

[Edited by ralphdibny]

See ya!

ralphdibny

Amnesia The Dark Descent - overall I think I enjoyed it. It started off quite scary but when you get used to the mechanics and how the baddies behave, the fear diminishes. However there still are some tense moments to be had later on.

I can't tell if I was motivated more by knowing where I was in the game by using the contents page of a guide to pace myself, knowing roughly how long I have left or whether the game was just entertaining enough to keep me going.

My partner asked me what if I thought the story was interesting. I answered that I thought it was ok. As I was explaining the endings to her, I described one as the "bad" ending before backtracking on that statement explaining that "I guess it's the bad ending but it's not like I am that invested in anyone's fate".

She also asked me what I thought of the game. I said, I wasn't bored at all throughout my playthrough and I suppose that's all anybody can ask for in a game these days.

Rating: ANBAA for alright, not bad at all!

Edit: On Second Thought rating: MQEA for maybe quite enjoyable actually!

[Edited by ralphdibny]

See ya!

NintendoByNature

I'm also playing dark descent. Not sure I like it all that much just yet. I have no idea how to get out of the opening area

NintendoByNature

ralphdibny

@NintendoByNature I'll be vague so as to not spoil anything. The game reminded me of a mixture between a point of click game and a walking sim with light stealth elements.

Regarding the point of click elements, thankfully it's not nearly as complex or obscure as the stalwarts of that genre but there is a bit of finding items, combining items (hold A over them in the menu and drag them to other items) as well as finding specific areas around the castle where you can change/combine those items and other areas to use those items. Generally that aspect is pretty logical and there aren't that many combinations to try. To be honest, there isn't a lot of that sort of thing but it is required to progress.

The first hub that leads off to the archives, the lab, the cellar etc has a bit of that sort of thing going on 👍

Also a few of the letters you find everywhere will pretty much tell you what you need to combine and if they don't tell you how to combine them, the items themselves will (e.g. "this item can't be used in this form")

I found the best way to play was to explore everywhere and pick up every item/letter that was possible to pick up and then go from there!

Occasionally puzzles can get solved by environmental items (stuff that doesn't go in your inventory that you can just pick up and chuck or drop) but that seemed less frequent or at least less prevalent than the usual method.

[Edited by ralphdibny]

See ya!

themightyant

@ralphdibny LTRS - Loving the review scales.

An interesting write up that has me intrigued to try it... but still exploring the Starfield.

themightyant

ralphdibny

@themightyant cheers, it's a call back to my reviews of PS Plus games that I was doing on Push Square during the forums! I like the scale so I thought I might as well continue doing it! It's hard to not repeat a rating though 😅

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic