Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 3,363

dmcc0

@ralphdibny I pulled the trigger on the Analogue Pocket (and GG cart adaptor) the other night, but it's not due to ship until non-specific "2023" - hopefully it's Q1 2023 rather than Q4 😂 - so will have to wait a bit for that. I'll have to stock up on GG games in the meantime as I don't actually have anything to play them on!

I've actually been pretty good at only buying retro stuff that I've already got the means to play, so haven't really bought any 'new' systems despite talking myself out of buying either a Saturn or a TG16/PC Engine a few times 😂 (although did replace both the Dreamcast and GBA which I regretted selling years ago). There are enough places to legitimately play old NES/SNES and Mega Drive games (or at least the popular ones) though Switch online and various collections that I've never really had the urge to pick up the more popular consoles of the era - and those old carts do take up a load of space.

I kind of the opposite when It comes to emulation - it stresses me out knowing I can just go online and download the entire library for a single console for free in a few clicks. I end up just constantly browsing through lists and never actually playing anything because the sheer number of games is so overwhelming and most of them I've never heard of. I used to have a flash cart for my DS and barely ever used it and preferred to play the games I'd actually bought. It was the same back when I was a kid - my brother used to get pirated games on the Amiga and we had boxes full of disks lying around, but I'd end up buying games despite him being able to get them for free.

According to HLTB the GC FE seems relatively short compared to some of the others so might be a good place to start, but I've no idea which ones are considered better than others or if there's a good place for a noob to start (or best for a noob to avoid).

dmcc0

dmcc0

@Balta666 Yeah, I did look up how expensive the GC one was out of interest as quite a few GC games I've looked at tend to be ridiculously priced. I'm sure @ralphdibny has mentioned previously that he's got a modded Wii or WiiU - he did originally say he was thinking of starting with the GC/Wii games and given the conversation on emulating I'm not expecting him to actually buy them!

dmcc0

ralphdibny

@dmcc0 haha you are correct that I wouldn't spend 200 quid on fire emblem for GameCube. Unfortunately my plan to mod the Wii U that we discussed some time ago never came to fruition. The damn thing has been sitting on my desk for months gathering dust. It's just another thing on my list to do!

I know what you mean about browsing the lists. It's like a Netflix-syndrome. My partner always jokes about me "watching Netflix" but in fact all I'm doing is watching the menu.

I actually find the setting up of emulation devices more fun than playing the games sometimes lol. And it's never like, I just sit there and browse through the games. I just want it ready to go if I want to play a certain game if that makes sense? Like one day I might decide for example, I will play all the DragonBall games. Then I can just go to whatever device I have set up (I currently don't have one set up) and play them. So I don't choose from the list. I choose first and then I go to the list.

I tend to play games I've bought too, until I got a sub now they are gathering dust and now I tend to play games that have a time limit 😂. I wish there was less psychology involved in it all and I also wish these big companies would stop liberating me of my dwindling supply of funds.

Dreamcast and GBA are staples to be fair so definitely worth replacing them! I really liked Typing of the Dead on Dreamcast but I lost the disc that allowed me to play it because it was an import game!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I'd like to change my vote for December's game. It was Return to Monkey Island and I'll remove that and vote for The Gunk, because The Gunk is potentially leaving soon.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

How are people getting on in A Plague Tale?

I wana post some screenshots of glitches and some photo mode horrors but i want other people to experience the good side of this game before I show the less flattering side 😆

See ya!

ralphdibny

ralphdibny wrote:

On the topic of Plague Tale. I actually have a question regarding a bit that really confused me later on in the game. I won't go into details about that exactly for spoiler reasons but something I didn't understand during the early chapters were the different enemy factions.
First up is some weirdos in bee masks which is fine and I understand that. Then it's like some soldiers and then it's like some mercenaries which are the two I get mixed up.

Considering the mid game plot point I am referring to, I can't really work out/remember why the mercenaries and their leader Arnaud were even going after Amicia in the first place. If somebody can enlighten me when they get to that point in the game then I would be grateful.

Also if anybody has got to this point in the game yet and had any idea what I was talking about!

See ya!

Lavalera

@ralphdibny From what i understood Arnaud and his mercenaries were hired by the Count of Arles to help stop the plague in the Provence. I don't know at which part you are now this part contains some spoilers: it is mentioned in the conversation Arnaud and the count have later in the game when Arnaud confronts him. Because Arnaud fails to stop the plague, he sends his own army under "the beast" and firing Arnaud in the mean time. At first he chases Amicia and Hugo to get his revenge on them killing his man. Until he finds out they can potentially help him on his quest for revenge on the count

PSNid: Lavalera

HarmanSmith

Hi everybody! I have been a little away from here, but I am playing A Plague Tale: Requiem. I am now at Chapter 5, and here are some thoughts:

It looks really, really nice! Maybe not the AAA title to showcase the power of the XSX we all want, but it looks great, nevertheless. So far, it plays nice, too: I haven't had any bug or issue, and I haven't noticed the 30 fps (IIRC). For a title made by a "not so large" studio, it sure is a polished product.

Really enjoying it so far! My main complaint (so far, at least) is that, besides some QoL improvements, and some new "powers", it is a bit too similar to the first one.

But I will continue with this and see where it goes.

HarmanSmith

Xbox Gamertag: GarcianSmith

ralphdibny

@Lavalera ahhh right I still don't think I understand exactly. The "man" Amicia kills that Arnaud wants revenge for, I can't really remember who that was. Or is it someone from the first game which I properly don't remember except a few key sequences. Or did you mean men rather than man lol

Even though I came to love Arnaud, I really didn't have a flipping clue who he was when Amicia wakes up, sees his face and gets scared. I remember Arnaud the mercenary but you only see.his face briefly when he pulls up his helmet in the river of bodies sequence so I was so confused that this massive faced guy was recognisable to Amicia later on but not to me

See ya!

Banjo-

@HarmanSmith They're quite similar basically because the main character is an irritating chatterbox and she won't shut up for a single minute until the games are over. For all her infatuation with her brother, Amicia couldn't care less about her mother dying violently. In the first and second games, it's suggested that the mother spends much time researching but that's supposed to help her son. Still, Amicia keeps challenging her mother with no regrets. They're a noble family from France living in the 14th century but Amicia acts and swears like a 20th-century gangster from The Bronx. In the second game, it's obvious that Amicia hasn't learnt a single thing about concoctions or medicines in a conversation with Lucas, while she keeps complaining, blaming and rushing everyone else. Lucas, Arnaud and Sophia are far more interesting characters. In regard to the gameplay, there are stealth sections, puzzles and a lot of combat like in the first game, but the developers added a few concepts from Tomb Raider and bigger areas. The bigger areas are my favourite novelty although the lack of map is disappointing.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Lavalera

@ralphdibny I meant "men" instead of "man" indeed. Autocorrect isn't always my friend haha.

I was as confused as you were about Arnaud. Until the named conversation happened. After I finished the game I also googled it and found out it confused a lot of people. I agree It should have been explained better.

Lavalera

@Balta666 Just curious but why are you skipping Requiem? You didn't like the first one?

For me it's my personal game of the year. Once i started it i couldn't put it down. Loved every single bit about it. The graphics are great. The music gives another layer to the game. The voice acting, especially of Amicia and Hugo are some of the best I heard. The gameplay is diverse enough to keep it fun. Stealth sections, puzzles and sometimes chase scenes where you are basically on a parcours. Combat can be evaded most of the time, but when you can't you have to find the means to defeat the opponents since resources are limited.
It is an AA game and that is visible in some ways. The game isn't perfect. I hardly noticed the game running on 30 fps. but some part it dropped below that and that was visible. The lip sync is totally out of order. It doesn't seem that they are saying the stuff you hear. But these "flaws" didn't bother me at all. Sometimes a game hits all the boxes for you and then you don't mind the "flaws" the game has. This was that game for me. That's why it is my personal game of the year

Lavalera

@Balta666 Gotcha. I am generally not the biggest horror fan either. I don't mind games that are scary, but games like Resident evil where you have to solve puzzles while being chased by some bad guy i don't like that much. Alan Wake & Dead Space are also games that didn't resonate with me. And sometimes i feel i am one of the only people who doesn't look forward to The Calisto Protocol, to name a popular horror game.
For me personally this game looks totally different than the typical horror game. But yeah as person who doesn't generally like horror games i can understand your feelings.
Well let's hope next month will be a game more to your liking!

Banjo-

@Lavalera Have you played Silent Hill and Project Zero games? I'm a big fan of Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic