Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 3,356

LtSarge

@lookupmore I did more or less 50/50 because of the same reason as @Balta666 since there are health and mana upgrades on both sides. Worth keeping in mind is that if you upgrade unholy, your scythe will get stronger every other level, and if you upgrade holy, your cross will get stronger every other level. At first I thought I'd only be using the scythe since the cross isn't that strong in the beginning. But you can actually upgrade it to fire at more targets and on top of making it stronger every other level, it's definitely going to be useful towards the end of the game.

So imo, go for 50/50 so you get health/mana upgrades and a stronger scythe/cross.

On a side note, at least you guys are playing the game on Xbox because I was playing it on PS3 and I couldn't for the love of me distinguish between the square and circle button prompts when they showed up, so I would constantly mess up those QTEs.

LtSarge

lookupmore

@LtSarge I will aim for those health and mana upgrades. I do like the cross at the moment for the far away enemies.

lookupmore

Xbox Gamertag: lookupmore

dmcc0

@LtSarge I always get mixed up with the button layouts when switching between platforms - PS and Xbox are not too bad because the buttons are in the same positions - although X and Cross sometimes catch me out on QTEs. It's the Switch that really messes me up though - always cancelling out of menus by mistake or accidentally selecting something when I meant to exit.

Edited on by dmcc0

dmcc0

LtSarge

@dmcc0 My issue was that I just couldn't tell the difference between the square and circle buttons on the screen because they looked so similar in this particular game. The colours were very similar and the symbols just weren't differentiated enough. I looked up gameplay of the Xbox version and you can clearly tell which button it is since it's more colourised.

LtSarge

dmcc0

@LtSarge Ah, ok, I'm forgetting my PS controller colours. I suppose they are close enough that they could be easily mistaken. The fact they've only coloured the actual shapes rather than the whole button in this game makes it harder too I guess.

dmcc0

LtSarge

Happy holidays!

Based on the standings, it seems like we're tied between Mirror's Edge and The Gunk. I've actually been playing The Gunk the past few days since I've been waiting to play it all year and it's so good! It's a short game, clocking in at about 4-5 hours but I don't know how fitting it would be for Game Club considering we only play one game per month. Granted, Dante's Inferno was also short, around 6 hours long, but that game felt like such a slog that it took me weeks to get through it lol. I can easily see people completing The Gunk in 1-2 days due to how simple the game is. So maybe it would be better to play it on our own, at least that's my opinion. It's also kinda hard to avoid wanting to play a game on Game Pass that comes out in the middle of the month. At least with Psychonauts 2, it came out at the end of August so we could start playing it right away on Game Club.

Anyway, my final vote goes to Mirror's Edge.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

Hi all, hope you all had good xmases! Apologies for being a ghost this month. I've been moving to a new flat so I've just been so busy. I've been very slowly playing Control for over a month now and I've started Halo Infinite. Very very slow progress on both 😅. Hope you are all well and I'm going to try and work out the vote stuff in a minute!

@lookupmore Hiya, sorry I didn't reply about the taglist before. I've been super busy for the reason I've mentioned above. I see that dmcc0 got you up to speed!

Welcome! I've added you to the tag list!

See ya!

ralphdibny

Ok, this was a tough one to work out based on this massive new list! I think I've got it though. It was a tie between The Gunk and Mirror's Edge with 4 votes each. But seeing as Balta666 has already completed The Gunk and is one of its 4 voters, I'm going to give this month to...

Mirror's Edge

Some stats:

Main Story - 6 Hours
Main + Extras - 8 Hours
Completionist - 11½ Hours

I really want to play this one so hopefully I can finish up my current two games sharpish and make some time for it!

Obligatory tag list:

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @Beagle @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @Fran27 @BlueOcean @R1spam @lookupmore

But you are not obliged to be on it! Please let me know if you'd like to be removed or indeed if you'd like to be added!

Votes for next month start from Zero again, as always!

A way out -
Battlefield 3 -
Brutal Legend - 1 (balta
Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded - 2 (balta, lookup,
Crysis -
Dead Space - 1 (lookup,
Death's Door - 3 (Balta, R1Spam, Banjo
Doom 3 -
Doom 64 -
Doom Eternal -
Fable Anniversary - 2 (srge, lookup,
Forgotten City - 3 (balta, r1spm, mightyant,
Hades -
Halo Wars - 1 (srge
It takes two -
Kameo: Elements of Power - 1 (balta,
Maneater -
Marvel Avengers - 1 (srge,
One step closer to Eden -
Ori and the Will of the Wisps -
Perfect Dark -
Rage -
Sable - 1 (mightyant,
Streets of Rage 4 -
Telling Lies [Not on Game Pass] -
The Gunk - 1 (mightyant,
Undertale -
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus -

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

Looking forward to playing Mirror's Edge! I've been wanting to play something new on my 360 and this looks like a great choice.

For next month, I'll be voting for three games, which are Fable Anniversary, Marvel's Avengers and Halo Wars. I've already started up Fable and Avengers and played for a couple of hours, but I've completely lost all motivation now to play them. I was already playing two other RPGs when I started Fable so now I'm kinda burned out on the genre. In terms of Avengers, I just feel like the game is becoming rather generic due to the loot system, MTXs, side missions and so on, instead of having a focused campaign. However, the story is still quite good and I'd like to experience the whole of it. So I think Game Club could help with both of these games. I want to play Halo Wars as well because Halo Infinite has revitalised my interest in the series and I haven't played any of the Wars games, but apparently they're quite accessible so that's good to know.

LtSarge

Balta666

Looking forward to Mirror's Edge on series X (hoping the port works fine through backwards compatibility as on PC through origin I got fluctuations btw 120-0 in fps and I am not exagerating on the zero as the game froze a couple of times before I gave up on it).

For next month I am voting for Brutal Legend, conker's, forgotten city and kameo

I would also like retrieve my suggestion to keep One step close to the Eden on the list as I tried it for a little during the holidays break and it was not what I was expecting (obviously if someone else would like to keep it is fine but as we have such big list nowadays...)

P.s: this time it may take me a bit longer to get into the month's game as I have decided to start a new game of the Witcher 3 and try a few different outcomes I was not that happy with on the first playtrough (like saving Baron's family and to get Triss in the end), at first I was not sure I would stick around as the game is massive but I just adore it and after quite some time I am not getting bored with it whatsoever (there is a reason why it is my Goat...)

Edited on by Balta666

KilloWertz

Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite 360 games, and with the Xbox One X resolution enhancement and now the 60 FPS boost, I hope everybody really enjoys it.

With that said, I won't be participating. I'm gearing up for Horizon Forbidden West's mid-February release for PS5 by replaying Horizon Zero Dawn, and I want to try to squeeze in Guardians of the Galaxy that I got for Christmas in between them, so my schedule is full for several months now. That is also why I won't be voting as I won't be participating for several months, but I'm fine with still being tagged. Again, I hope everybody really enjoys it. I'm sure it almost looks and feels like a new game.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

lookupmore

I finished Dante's Inferno just before christmas. I kept it on Classic (easy) all the way through. Started to feel like a slog after a while with the 1 hit kills on the platforming/swinging parts but the bosses were quite easily beatable on Classic. It was good not great but I'm glad I played it.

Looking forward to Mirrors Edge, another one I've not played.
My votes for next month are;
Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded,
Dead Space,
Fable Anniversary.

I'm currently 30+ hrs into Hades and I 100% Sable a few months back as it sucked me in completely.
The Gunk and Forgotten City are definitely ones I will play soon but happy to do outside of the Game Club.

lookupmore

Xbox Gamertag: lookupmore

LtSarge

Played Mirror's Edge for about an hour I think and so far it's pretty good. It's really satisfying to parkour across rooftops and running away from people shooting at you. But there are two fundamental issues with this game. The first is that it's never clear where you're supposed to go. The game does eventually tell you to hold B in order to know which direction to take, but sometimes it can be confusing to figure out how to get there and the fact that holding B changes the direction you move can be dangerous when you're running on narrow platforms. The second issue is the mechanics. A lot of the times, the platforming just doesn't work well at all. I could be jumping towards a ledge and she doesn't grab onto it because I was too close to the wall. Or that I decided to jump but because I was close to a wall, she starts to wall run instead. Another problem is jumping far distances where you really need to jump from the very far edge of the platform in order to make it and because of this, I'm constantly falling off since it's hard to tell in first-person how close I am to the edge.

I feel like the potential for a phenomenal game is definitely there but due to lack of direction and poorly implemented mechanics, it just never gets there. Every time I feel a sense of satisfaction from stringing together a good flow, it's ruined because something random happens and I fall off and die. It doesn't help either that the tutorial just shoves so much information down your throat and you're expected to memorise everything right away.

As I'm writing this, I realised that maybe you really need to play through this game multiple times in order to fully enjoy it as you'll remember where you need to go and what to do. But I don't think that's something that you should have to do with a game in general.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LtSarge

Well, this is unfortunately an awful start to the year in terms of Game Club. I'm genuinely finding Mirror's Edge to be somehow more infuriating to play than Dante's Inferno. There's literally no learning curve to this game, you only get a tutorial and are then expected to be a master at this game. You're expected to know how to get from one point to another despite it being the first time you're playing this game, and then you're expected to perform each mechanic flawlessly without room for any error. And on top of all of this, the checkpoint system is awful. The game will send you back very far in certain sections and it becomes very annoying because you just want to figure out what to do next but the game keeps punishes you over and over again.

Thankfully, this is not a long game and I'm already halfway through it. As soon as I reach the credits, I'll be putting it away for good and never playing it again. I'm already so mentally and emotionally drained that I don't even have the energy to get mad at the game anymore. And it's not like it's bad, it just needs to help you out more often, especially on your first time through. Like take the early 2D Sonic games as an example. Imagine if there weren't multiple paths to take throughout each level depending on your skill level. Staying on the upper paths is harder, but at least there are lower paths as well. Well in this case, Mirror's Edge only contains the harder "upper paths" so to speak. That's basically the game in a nutshell.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic