Live: The Next Generation of Xbox Revealed

Welcome to the next generation.

The long wait is NEARLY over. We've heard the whispers and the rumours. We've debunked some, and let our mouths drop at others. Microsoft will be taking to the stage at 6pm BST/10am PDT to unveil the next generation of Xbox, and we'll bring you the full skinny - LIVE - from Microsoft's Redmond HQ.

Full list of regional times here.

Join us in the liveblog below, or drop us a message on Twitter, where we'll be fielding your questions.

And don't forget your Xbox Reveal Bingo card!

Live Text - Updates will load here automatically, no need to refresh the page.

19:04

And that's your lot - the show is over. What did you think?

19:04

"We are all we've got" - Call of Duty: Ghosts. We expect the memes to start soon,

19:03

We're not going to get a bingo winner tonight, are we? We'll roll some prizes out on Twitter tomorrow.

19:02

World Premiere of Call of Duty Ghosts

Apart from the trailer that was inadvertently shown by Gamespot before their coverage, obviously...

19:00

Video showing visual differences between MW3 and COD Ghosts.

18:59

Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed for Xbox One

That isn't from the show. Ubisoft have tweeted it.

18:56

Call of Duty: Ghosts stars you as an underdog, defending the US against an attack. You have a motion-captured dog who is also a squad member. A new engine is in play. "Sub D" watches the curvature of surfaces and tries to ensure that rounded edges are shown in the best possible light, depending on your character's viewpoint.

18:54

To the skeptics out there who are saying that not enough games have been shown, you have a fair point. However, in Microsoft's defence, they always took the position that E3 would be devoted to the games, with this event designed to show off the platform.

18:53

Eric Hirshberg, Activision CEO, takes the stage.

18:52

Call of Duty: Ghosts confirmed for Xbox 720

As if you didn't know. ALL downloadable content for Call of Duty will launch exclusively first on Xbox One.

18:51

XBOX ONE will launch in 2013 WORLDWIDE

"Later this year."

18:50

Exclusive NFL content that uses Kinect, SmartGlass - not sure how that'll go down outside of the US, but it looks interesting. NHL next, please...pretty please?

18:48

Exclusive NFL partnership announced

"Will change the game itself, as well as the viewing experience."

18:47

That Halo series will be a "premium" series. You'll be paying for it, basically.

18:46

Live Action Halo TV series confirmed - SPIELBERG

Created in partnership with 343 Studios and STEVEN SPIELBERG!

18:44

343 Industries head Bonnie Ross takes the stage to talk about Halo...here we go.

18:44

"Xbox is about to become the next watercooler." That could have been worded better. Our office watercooler is covered in mould.

18:42

Head of Xbox Entertainment Studuis, Nancy Tellem, heads out to...erm...tellem some more about TV on Xbox One.

18:42

15 exclusive Microsoft Studios games coming in the first year of Xbox One. Eight of which are brand new franchises.

18:41

"Time is the fire in which we burn." Game looks to feature bullet-time quite heavily...very professional trailer. Intriguing.

18:40

QUANTUM BREAK Confirmed

Developed by Remedy - Live action footage kicks things off.

18:39

Remedy (Alan Wake, Max Payne) game is next up.

18:38

Shiny trailer of Forza Motorsport 5. Developed by Turn 10 Studios, as you'd expect. "A new age is here."

CONFIRMED AS A LAUNCH TITLE

18:37

Forza Motorsport 5 CONFIRMED

18:35

Apparently engine-based video of EA's sports games running now. If those videos are engine-based, then WOW. Impressive. Phil Spencer takes the stage.

18:34

Exclusive Ultimate Team Content for FIFA 14 on Xbox One

No details confirmed.

18:33

EA Sports Ignite allows 4 times as many AI decisions per second. "Human like intelligence." 10 times more animation depth and detail. Games are now living worlds, with a daily stream of new content via Xbox Live, 3D crowds, etc.

18:31

Sporting stars video roll now playing...talking about the mentality of sports. Lionel Messi, RG III, Kyrie Irving.

18:29

FIFA 14, Madden 25, NBA Live 14, UFC Confirmed for Xbox One

All four titles will launch "within the next 12 months." Powered by "EA Sports Ignite" - a new game engine that is being unveiled now.

18:29

"Broad strategic partnership between EA and Microsoft."

18:28

EA's Andrew Wilson takes the stage.

18:28

"Dynamic achievements" mentioned - will represent "how you play not what you've done."

18:27

Game DVR included

You can save and upload video (much as the PS4 can do) of your gameplay, to the cloud.

18:26

15,000 servers power the modern Xbox Live experience. Xbox Live on Xbox One will be powered by more than 300,000 servers. Cloud-based, in short.

18:25

Feedback triggers on the Xbox One controller.

40 design innovations in the new Xbox controller. Feedback on triggers allows developers to make the triggers respond and fight against you as you play. That's huge, frankly.

18:24

Kinect contains 1080p camera, understands balance, twice as many tracking points, can recognise heartbeat as you play.

18:22

New Kinect is bundled with every console

Uses new proprietary "time of flight" processing and processes more than 2 gigabits of data per second.

18:21

Xbox One Architecture is "three operating systems in one." The "best of the Xbox 360 O/S", the Windows kernel, and a third component to allow multi-tasking and switching.

18:20

8GB of RAM included in the box. USB 3.0. Wi-fi direct. Blu-Ray drive. Native 64-bit architecture. Practically silent operation.

18:19

Marc Whitten takes the stage.

18:19

A quick shot of the Xbox One Guide, showing TV listings.

18:17

Xbox One Guide for TV

"Xbox One Guide" shows local TV listings from the Xbox, voice controlled, shows trending video. You can say "Watch Sci-fi channel", "What's on HBO" etc, and the box follows.

18:16

ESPN on show. For fantasy basketball, you can watch the live game and say "Xbox Show Fantasy" and your ESPN fantasy league will appear, along with game stats.

18:14

Skype Confirmed for Xbox One

Wide screen HD. Group video calls are EXCLUSIVE to Xbox One.

18:14

"Snap Mode" allows for multitasking. The demo shows Internet Explorer running in the sidebar, with a movie playing on the major part of the screen. Controllable via mobile.

18:13

"Grab and pull" gesture allows you to minimise and maximize your video.

18:12

From your Xbox One, you say "Xbox, Watch TV", and the console changes your TV input and brings you to your standard TV channel. New "Instant Switching" feature allows you to jump back and forward between TV, music, and games in a ridiculously short amount of time. Amazing.

18:11

NEW FORZA CONFIRMED

"More to follow in shortly" - Xbox One exclusive.

18:10

Xbox One can turn on your TV. Voice activated. Say "Xbox On" and it starts up, recognises the user, loads up your own personal homescreen.

18:09

The controller looks much the same, but what we think is Kinect 2.0 is really shiny. Yusuf Mehdi takes the stage.

18:08

Now that is PRETTY.

18:08

First shot of the Xbox One

18:06

The next generation console is called XBOX ONE

"The one system for a new generation."

18:06

"Team Xbox is on a new missin. Design and build an all in one system to light up a new generation of games and entertainment."......."Simple, instant and complete."

18:04

"At E3, we'll be sharing what's next on Xbox 360"

18:04

A quick recap of the timeline of the Xbox 360.

18:03

Don Mattrick takes the stage.

18:02

"Your TV will recognise your name, your face, what you love...."

18:02

We're kicking off with various members of the Xbox universe recounting a very brief history of Xbox. CliffyB is in the video...hmm...

18:00

And we are LIVE! Xbox Reveal is GO!

17:59

60 seconds.

17:58

TWO MINUTE WARNING

Two minutes to go.

17:56

Early suggestions are that the name of the new Xbox console is simply "Xbox" - thanks to some leaked Call of Duty pre-roll footage. Confirmation as it happens.

17:54

60 minutes of joy

The conference will last 60 minutes.

17:52

Xbox Live Event Player is now showing this. We're almost at the kick off!

17:39

Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell just fired us this image of the stage. T-20 minutes to go.

17:37

We're ready. We're dressed for the occassion. The energy drinks are en route. The TV is lined up at that perfect viewing angle. It doesn't get much better than this.

17:36

Time ticks on. The Xbox Live Event Player on Xbox Live shows 13 minutes to go, but the presentation isn't due for another 25.

17:15

Don't forget to follow your Xbox Reveal Bingo card as the show progresses in order to have a chance of winning some prizes. If there's no winner, or the card isn't filled, we'll roll the prizes over to a Twitter contest tomorrow. http://www.purexbox.com/news/2013/05/competition_xbox_reveal_bingo

17:07

You may need an update to your Xbox Live Event player. Since the last event, there's a 47mb update - so grab it before the show starts!

16:35

It's nearly time...

This is your hour and a half warning!

08:00

Countdown is progressing...

Set your alarm clocks. Order the pizza. Get the energy drinks in (just in case it runs long) - we've got just 10 hours until the next generation of Xbox is revealed.

23:20

Kicking things off early...

Kicking things off early...
We're kicking things off early - 18 and a half hours early, to be precise - but we want to give you the chance to get your bookmarks in place...

And don't forget to keep your eyes on your Xbox Reveal Bingo card http://www.purexbox.com/news/2013/05/competition_xbox_reveal_bingo during the show, as you could win some prizes!

I'm interested in seeing what Microsoft has to offer for next gen. If they play there cards right, this could easily make PS4's reveal look like crap, wait and see I guess? :P

Savino

Savino said:

Now I am officially posting on the three sites!!!! o/

Let´s see if this gen I will have to buy all consoles!!!!

TasukiStaff

Going to probably have to catch this later tomorrow night since I have to be at work at 11 AM PST. :(

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

will there be some sort of recording of this? D= i dont think i will get a chance to see it either since its at 10am for me sigh =[

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah but usually they have only the short versions of it D= not the same but hope so

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

I'm at school then but luckily I have a class that were watching movies in so I can watch it, Now I have to report back to my friends at the next break

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@DarkNinja9 The full stream will be available on-demand from Xbox.com and Xbox Live 1 hour after the show has finished, I'm told. ;)

Knux

Knux said:

Let's see if Microsoft can convince me to buy a Xbox 720, but I highly doubt it.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

This is my first time visiting the purexbox site. It seems there isn't quite as many commentors as there is in Nintendolife, but maybe I'll visit this place more often.

TasukiStaff

Damn I caught an MS Virus or something I might have to call into work.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

epic music is epic.

i'm seeing a bunch of firiends hope onto the live stream fro the dashboard.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Trying to watch this on my 360.. but it won't stop updating..... my fault for not turning it on in forever :(

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I think the overall design looks REALLY good. It looks a bit.. huge.. but good lines and colors. Name is a bit daft imo.

TasukiStaff

So far it looks like I might go with MS this gen. I just want to see the game line up now.

TasukiStaff

Come one dont start the Nintendo Doom and Gloom here. Nintendo will be fine.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

The console of the forever.

With this Microsoft just made me decided to get a winRT tablet and a cheap windows phone.

I like that the controller looks basically like the 360's, my favorite controller ever. Now show the damn games, I don't give a crap about this boring nonsense being talked about so far.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

The story so far:
Xbox One! CAN WATCH TV
Xbox One! CAN SKYPE!
Xbox One! SLIGHTLY BETTER CONTROLLER
Xbox One! Has Xbox Live!

TasukiStaff

What a surprise EA is there and the are partnered with MS maybe thats why they wont do games for the Wii U.

I guess EA figures a new gen means we'll all forget how much Live sucked last gen. Once 2K14 is announced nobody will remember or care about Live 14.

So far I'm seeing nothing that is making me more excited for this machine than I am for PS4. Get EA off the stage and talk about some actual good games.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

This reveal was incredibly underwhelming. The only thing that surprises me, is the skype integration.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Sports video games, blah.. I prefer to play sports outside with real people

Well at least MS is smart enough to put its premier racer on its new console. There's a +1 vs. Sony.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

As long as that was real time render, Forza has some really good sound effects. I'm hoping those were early build graphics though.

LOL, I love both Alan Wake games but MS is so dumb sometimes I almost forgot Remedy existed.

TasukiStaff

So far this gen looks like it might go to Microsoft. Wow they are not pulling any punches.

I think they'll take North America for sure if Nintendo first party kepps dragging its feet.

TasukiStaff

They probably would have given NBA support had they been able to get the Kings.

From a features stand point this was cool. As a gamer I'm still all about PS4.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Sony_70: What you talking about, Sounders are awesome and our attendance records prove it! :D

Edit: Nevermind, misunderstood there a little bit. Sounders FC did start off pretty bad this year but they have been playing much better.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

So, the XBox One will be the new Casual console. I wasn't impressed with the PS4 presentation, but this was much, much worse. At least the Playstation is still a gaming device.

Of course, even if I go with PS4 first, the day a new Gears or Halo hits is the day I buy the Xboxone. MS doesn't have a lot of exclusives worth a damn but I need my Halo fix.

@Bluezealand

To be fair this was better than any showing Nintendo ever had for Wii U. I fully expect PS4 to be my primary console but with all the cool features and Halo, there's at least reason to be excited about Xbox One. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to make me want to buy a Wii U.

Knux

Knux said:

Boring presentation was boring. Thank you for helping me save my money for now, Microsoft.

I thought the console and controller both looked alright. Besides these companies have to make the first design kind of 'meh' looking. How else would they sell the slim redesigns later on?

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@Gamer83:

You have quite a point there, but the difference between Microsoft and Nintendo is (at least for me), that Nintendo offers many exclusive games which offer experiences, you can't really get on any of the other consoles. So, while Nintendo managed to really **** up the Wii U launch and failed to show to customers what's special about the Wii U, they are in a position, where they don't really have to blow you away (if you're a fan of their games at least). You're buying a Nintendo console for the Nintendo games and another for the third party support. As it looks now, it will be the PS4 for me (though I'll wait what Microsoft has to show on E3 of course), which is also because I'm more into Sonys exclusives than Microsofts.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Wow, I'm totally not convinced to get a Xbox One. That presentation was terrible. Where were the games? It might be able to do all this other stuff but it will be marketed to the hardcore gamer. Where was the pull for the hardcore gamer? I have no interest in PS4 or Xbox One. I will stick with my Wii U and PS3 for the time being.

By the way, this video pretty much sums up this presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSTjvDYUk4

TasukiStaff

Hey guys I hate to bring this up, but can we watch the language please we do have young impressionable minds that do visit and belong to the sites.

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

As always, ladies and gentlemen, watch the language in the comments, please. This is a family site.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

well looks square-ish to me and the name eh =S sports talk most of it

but thegood thing is they kept the same controller just a few changes watched it on my wii u xD no lag! unlike my pc

ueI

ueI said:

Going from the live text updates, the presentation seems a bit barebones.

EDIT: I see that purexbox is starting to cover the details in other articles.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

Am I The only one not finding this exciting? =/
Im not a fan or something but ps4 did look better, EA sucks and with the stuff and exclusives that they will put on xbox will make the console look like poop...
And Xbox one? Seriously, thats worse Than Wii U as a name...

@ScorpionMG agreed, I was interested in seeing some innovation from Microsoft, and what we got was...well, this -_- Wii U and PS4 seem to be where I'll be going. Am I the only one that thought that console and controller look like crap?

@Bluezealand

That's why this whole trend with being less and less excited about Wii U no matter what Nintendo seems to do, bothers me. I'm a fan of Nintendo, being an 80's kid, most of my early gaming memories revolve around playing games on Nintendo's systems, unfortunately the Wii U just seems boring to me. Granted I look forward to seeing what the 3D Super Mario platformer, Mario Kart and Smash will bring, but other than that, I really don't care. MS may not have a ton of exclusives, but I have to give them that the big 3, Halo, Gears and Forza are phenomenal, and eventhough you have to pay for Xbox Live, it is worth the price. I feel like with PS4 having the exclusives and I'm sure some cool non-gaming features, and with MS covering the bases for entertainment and multiplat gaming, I'll be set with just those two consoles.

Zup

Zup said:

I'm more of a Nintendo guy myself but I have to admit, that looks pretty awesome. I still won't get it though. Just bought a wii u and don't have enough money for another system just yet.

Luvbeers

Luvbeers said:

They didn't go into the games much because that is sort of a publisher thing to showcase at E3, hence why MS revealed the new Xbox just before it so that the developers are allowed to talk about it.