Forums

Topic: Dark Souls III

Posts 281 to 300 of 453

stylon

@sorethumbed: Thank you, you're a legend! Stripped off and was on the roof like a rat up a drainpipe. Bagged myself an estus shard, ring, bone and was able to trade some stuff with the crows too. Quickly put my clothes back on cos he's an ugly little fecker though Got the talisman too - looks like a knotted hanky, probably why I didn't notice it before...

@crippyd: you're using the same sword as me

Edited on by stylon

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

sorethumbed

From the very first DS, I've found some jumps easier unencumbered. Other people seem to manage them clothed but not me. I think you get a little bit more height/distance that way

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

Red620Ti

@DRL: I did take a summon guy with me, but he just distracted the boss by running around, I don't think he ever hit him! All I could hear in my head was the Benny Hill music as he motored about the joint... I think the last boss was harder, especially when he got all his health back!

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

Red620Ti

@Utena-mobile: I think you can pick them up later in the game, in an alternate shrine. I say I think because I killed Yeol stone dead when spoke to me. (I was a little jumpy)

As for the mound makers, I don't know. I'm in the way of the Blue, love having a summon appear to help when I'm invaded!

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

stylon

Wow this guy is some sort of Dark Souls God or something... kills a boss with one hit using all sorts of buff and powerups by the looks of it. Don't watch if you don't want to see spoilers of the 'Pontiff Sulyvahn' boss encounter though. (Although having said that I've not got this far and it doesn't give much away other than location).

Wouldn't like this guy to invade my world that's for sure!

stylon

sorethumbed

@stylon: Great vid. I've seen it also since on another site with a breakdown of SOME of the gear he's using. He's SL70. The hit he takes before the fight is intentional, one of the rings increases damage by 20% at low health. There is another ring that increases your damage output as your load decreases (that's why he's got nekkid). Also, after a successful parry, your next shot does massive damage and each of these effects stack. The sword also has a damage modifier. Not sure what some of the other effects are as on this playthrough I'm magicless, possibly one of the damage multiplying miracles? it's a high risk, high reward strategy but in this case working. Like you though, I wouldn't like to meet him 1-1.

Edited on by sorethumbed

holchasaur

@Red620Ti: I imagine keeping The Nameless King distracted is a HUGE help. Much of what makes that fight so difficult is that he's fixated on you, constantly flying in and attacking from many angles. Plus, it's one of the few fights in the game that requires you to toggle lock-on regularly (or avoid using it altogether). If you end up pushing forward on NG+, have a go at him without using summons just to see how comparable the difficulty is. I'm curious now. I've taken a break from DS3 to finish up DS2, so it'll be a while before I return to that point. But yeah, I got through the final boss much quicker than I did TNK. He wasn't easy whatsoever, but once I could recognize his few attacks and dodge/attack with patience, it took me just a couple more attempts to put him down for good.

@Utena-mobile I can't remember how that whole Yoel situation went down for me. Are there ashes resting within his corpse that you can see but can't pick up? If so, that sounds like a glitch. I'll try to remember to flip through my strategy guide later today to see if there's any helpful information I can pass on.

@stylon That's just ridiculous! I constantly try to explain to people how you can find ways to lessen the difficulty in Souls games, and this is a fantastic example. Experimenting is the key!

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Xbox Gamertag: holchasaur | Twitter:

A_BabyRed_Yoshi

@DRL: Im stuck on the nameless king now, he's TOUGH
His attacks are redonkulously unforgiving, and its hard to heal at all.
He has this slower than you think attack that always gets me!

Guinea pig owner, Xbox gamer.

Xbox Gamertag: A BabyRed Yoshi

crippyd

@DRL @A_BabyRed_Yoshi Doing the Abyss Watchers in co op was easy, first time and he was down but I can imagine going solo will be very hard!

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

A_BabyRed_Yoshi

@crippyd: the abyss watchers was the only boss ive ever used a summon on, and he died immediately. All 3 immediately assaulted him at the same time, i think the correct term is "gangbang"

Guinea pig owner, Xbox gamer.

Xbox Gamertag: A BabyRed Yoshi

crippyd

The way of the blue is a great covenant! Co op is great too, smashed another couple of bosses (pontiff and old demon)

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

sorethumbed

@stylon: Another think I forgot to mention about weapons is the importance of scaling.
Weapons scale (from worst to best) D C B A and S with S being best. The scaling CAN change dependant on what gem is installed.
Good example is the sword dropped (good luck - took me about 50 of them) by Darkwraiths which has an S scaling in Intelligence or Faith with Crystal or Lightning Infusions once at +4 (Crystal for Int and Lightning for Faith). Any Mage or Cleric without one of these is defo nuts as it will do a ton of damage with the right build. That's the problem with Dark souls, you need to know what do do before you start. Of course, this is subject to change and I reckon it will get nerfed as it pretty much makes great swords redundant.

stylon

@A_BabyRed_Yoshi: I reached the Abyss Watchers last night... Holy shit... my arse was handed to me many times over...

@sorethumbed: I don't understand the infusing thing at all. When I go to do it it seems like one stat will improve very slightly but everything else goes to pot. Maybe it's because all my points are in strength and dexterity? My main weapon is a hollow sword that does about 210 damage. Don't know what the +28 or whatever it is after that figure means... Secondary weapon is a longbow that does about 90 damage. A lot of the stuff I find I can't use because it has a red cross meaning my stats are too low

Don't know how my weapons damage stacks up with everyone else's at this point in the game?

Edited on by stylon

stylon

sorethumbed

@stylon: It's not that bad, let's look at an example for an imaginary sword.
When you look at the screen it says 120 +36. The 120 is the baseline damage at the weapon stat requirement. So as its a sword we will say that you need 10 strength to use it so at 10 strength it will do 120 damage (you can decrease the strength requirement by two handing it. This applies to shields as well). The +36 is the scaled increase in damage from your stats so if when you look at your sword screen and it says Str 10 C and Dex 8 D if your strength and Dex requirements are above that figure you will get more damage. You will get more damage increase from the strength element as it has C scaling and the Dex has D scaling. It goes SABCD best-worst. Weapons rarely have anything other than D. If it has, it's probably a good weapon.

When you infusqe a weapon, what happens is that the baseline stats are decreased and then additional damage is added from the gem.
So the sword in the example above might drop base damage from 120 to 100 then have the damage added from the gem, so say it's a fire gem, the weapon might do 100 normal damage and 100 fire damage so 200 instead of the 120 it was doing. Also, once a weapon has been upgraded, the scaling might change at +4. Usually weapons go from D-C but there are exceptions, best looked up first. That's why the Dark Sword is a killer for mages/clerics because it goes to an S scaling so a Mage can be a badass swordsman (as can a cleric).

The really class upgrade (for Noob pvp is poison as its a DAmage over time and normally requires multiple hits. Nothing better than hitting someone with a Katana with a poison gem installed.
The Katana causes bleed damage (dot) and the poison delivers poison (dot). The panic that this engenders is funny as your opponent suddenly sees his health bar dropping fast as he's taking two dot's. So he tries to heal and then you bang in another 4 hits. This also works on some bosses and most NPC's/canon fodder.

The info screens in DS are actually pretty good, once you get the hang of them. That's also why you need to be careful where you put your points. Spreading them out too much is not a great idea, you kind of need to hit a playstyle and stick with it. Normally I go with a magic build but this time I'm going magicless with the exception of a single slot for a pyro aoe.

Edited on by sorethumbed

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.