Forums

Topic: 2016 - Most anticipated games

Posts 21 to 40 of 43

holchasaur

@Ryno: I wouldn't get too hyped about ReCore just yet because Armature has yet to prove themselves. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is the only game they've developed from the ground up, with the rest being ports. A couple of the ports were decent (The Unfinished Swan and Injustice) but Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, specifically The Pre-Sequel, was a mess. Plus, it's hard to have much faith in Keiji Inafune and Comcept with the current state of Mighty No. 9.

I really, REALLY hope ReCore ends up being a big deal for everyone involved, but I can't lie... I'm skeptical. :/

Edited on by holchasaur

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Xbox Gamertag: holchasaur | Twitter:

MsJubilee

@DRL: And it has Keiji Inafune the man who can't even finish making mighty Number 9.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Xbox Gamertag: Cherry5268

TurtleWhacks

I must admit that I have not been much of a fan of Keiji Inafune since the way he treated Clover Studios during his time at Capcom, in addition to the fact that he was largely responsible for some of the more, uh, questionable decisions Capcom made last generation regarding farming out their properties to Western developers. The sheer comedy of errors that has been the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter has only served to reinforce those feelings, and I did not even pledge any money for it.

That said, I want to wait until we have some more concrete information regarding ReCore before I develop an opinion one way or the other. Conceptually, it sounds interesting (but even then, we still do not know much), but I will need to see some actual gameplay first. CG trailers rarely get me excited for video games, and Keiji Inafune's word alone holds little water with me at this point.

TurtleWhacks

LuckyPenguin

@DRL: To me ReCore has a chance of being 2016’s game that causes a gamer backlash. The only thing Microsoft has shown of the game is a CGI trailer. No actual gameplay footage has been shown. It could be a boxed retail game or it could be digital only title. It could be episodic or could be a full release. It could be 2D/2.5D or it could be 3D. No one at this point knows but Microsoft Studios and the devs. With people building up the game in their heads it could lead to a backlash when gameplay is finally shown and it not want people thought it would be.

LuckyPenguin

MsJubilee

@LuckyPenguin: How can anyone get hyped for a game that has only been shown in a CGI trailer is beyond me. It's crazy!

@TurtleWhacks: And with all that he still got Mighty Number 9 funded with no problems. Nostalgia can blind anyone.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

BAMozzy

I can understand why a CGi trailer gets people excited. Generally these show off the concept and often allude to the game-play, characters and environment too. One of my favourite CGi trailers in recent years was the one for Cyberpunk 2077 and that combined with my experience of the 2 Witcher games I have played has me excited to find out more about this game. Even now after a few years and still know nothing or not seen any additional video's, gameplay, screenshots etc, its still a game I really want at this point - not enough to pre-order or anything like that but enough that it would be on a list of games I am anticipating for the future. In some cases a CGi can actually put me off from buying. Take the upcoming Detroit for example. Its concept seemed very unoriginal.
Admittedly a CGi in itself is never going to sell a game to me but its not necessarily always going to put me off either. Both of the examples I mentioned above (Cyberpunk, Detroit) are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of my impression from their CGi trailers and whilst I am a LOT more interested in Cyberpunk, Detroit for example can impress me with its game-play and features and become a game I want. Similarly, Cyberpunk could fail to impress as a game and drop off my list. - they are not fixed in stone!
The first time we heard about 'Scalebound' was via a CGi trailer and that had me very interested. The first game-play looked very interesting too and I must admit its probably my most anticipated XB1 exclusive at the moment.
The point is a CGi is not necessary going to get people hyped for the game itself but get people interested and hyped to find out more. In the case of ReCore for example, people obviously saw enough about the concept that interested them and got them hyped to find out more information - it put the games title into their minds. I know it's gameplay could be very different from the CGi - look at the Halo Wars 2 CGi and the likelihood that game has similar gameplay is zero based on the first Halo Wars - but it did enough to make me want to find out more...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Ryno

@DRL: Yeah, maybe you are right, but I am hoping it's more Metroid Prime then Batman. Part of me does fear that it will not really look like the trailer and will end up being some 2D/2.5D game which is fine but not what I was hoping for. The concept definitely has me intrigued though.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Xbox Gamertag: RynoTO

LuckyPenguin

@BAMozzy: I can kinda see where you’re coming from, but Halo Wars 2 is a horrible comparison. People know what they’re getting with that title. It will be more of the same with some improvements.

LuckyPenguin

shonenjump86

Killer Instinct Season 3, Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Fire Emblem Fates, and Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow on VC. That's it for now.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

Xbox Gamertag: Shonenjump86

BAMozzy

@LuckyPenguin: Not really! The first Halo Wars also had a CGi announcement trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1kB2VmPE4 - this was before people knew what they were getting with that title too. The fact that Halo Wars 2 is a sequel may help people know what to expect from the game-play but you can't say that about the original CGi.
The point I was making is that a CGi trailer isn't necessarily meant to get you interested in the 'game-play' but the concept, generate interest and maybe even spread the word of mouth amongst friends and websites. I picked Halo Wars 2 because I know the game-play is likely to be different because of the original but I could have picked the original Halo Wars trailer - before people knew about the game-play. People didn't really know what 'Scalebound' offered in terms of game-play yet its CGi reveal generated a lot of interest and was probably the game that generated most interest from that E3 for XB1. This was apparent as a lot were disappointed when it didn't show at other gaming events as they wanted to find out more. Since its reveal, its remained top of my most wanted new XB1 IP exclusives - the latter game-play reveal hasn't dented my excitement.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

TurtleWhacks

@Utena-mobile:

I do not think that you necessarily have to justify why you are excited for a particular game (or not excited, as the case may be), even if you feel that others may find your reasons "superficial" or "shallow." As you said, we all have different tastes.

While I personally have never selected a particular game based on the protagonist's appeal, I can certainly understand why someone would want to play as a character with whom he/she can more easily identify. Video games are an expensive hobby, as well, and sometimes when choosing between two games you may have little more than the surface level on which to base your purchase. Even if you are going strictly by the "superficial" or "shallow" appearance of the game in question, it definitely makes more sense to spend your money on something that appeals to you even slightly than on something that does not appeal to you whatsoever.

Incidentally, I know that you are currently playing through the HD remaster of Resident Evil 0. Have you played any of the other games in the series, or are you just starting out? If you have not played the series before now, you may want to give it a look, because it is full of strong female characters, many of whom headline their own games.

TurtleWhacks

Gamer83

I'm not concerned about ReCore. MS is putting money behind it and since the 360 days, MS hasn't bet on too many complete losers. Back in the original Xbox days when trying to get a foothold, MS was all over the place, the last two gens, however, I'd say MS has been as good a publisher as any out there in regards to picking quality games to get behind.

Gamer83

BAMozzy

@Utena-mobile: I can't say that 'Drew' has any particular appeal to me but then so many games have a generic protagonist and certainly many that lack any personality as well that if I was that particular, I wouldn't play many games at all. I certainly don't identify with the majority of protagonists and even when I have the opportunity to create my own, I doubt I would have the same characteristics. In Mass Effect for example, I tried to pick the choice I would make but I doubt in reality I would reach the rank of Commander - I would no doubt be a civilian. In games like Oblivion, I doubt I would be the 'hero', more like one of the NPC's in a very ordinary village.
The design of Drew - not the gender or personality though, is somewhat interesting to me. How does a character that looks like they are from 'Tokyo' end up in a world like this? Its very clear that they do not belong in that world compared to the native inhabitants. This element to me is most interesting about Drew and I am really looking forward to seeing how this fits into the story. I would be equally as intrigued if Drew was female too. I expect if Drew was female though, her character design would be a lot more sexual - like all Japanese designed games. Maybe we could have a female Drew to pick when the game releases - its isn't a Gender specific name, and that maybe one of the reasons it was delayed.
I don't choose my games based on 'gender' of the protagonist and don't enjoy playing as one gender more than another. Both Tomb Raider and Uncharted are very similar in terms of game-play yet have different gender protagonists. Since Crystal Dynamics have put much more emphasis on making Lara much more of a 'person', its made the Story much more appealing. I think Uncharted though has a bigger and better supporting cast but both games are amongst my favourites.
Many games, even if given the opportunity to select gender, makes no difference to the way you are perceived by others in the game. Its not like you have a different experience based on your gender choice.

BAMozzy

@Utena-mobile: For me what's most important is 'does the character fit or bring something to the Story?' Having a generic 'soldier' - faceless or otherwise, doesn't make a difference in 90% of shooters. I can't identify or put my emotions into those characters either because I have no idea what being a soldier is like or hope to find out. Horror based games are similar in that respect too - I doubt I would be keen to push on through hordes of the undead and my on-screen character always is a lot more calm and composed than I think I would be.

I doubt I can identify with either Nate or Lara either. I know faced with some of the obstacles they face, I would no doubt have given up - 1 brush with death and I doubt I would find any treasure worth risking my life for. Neither has a personality that matches mine - well not entirely. Point is they have their own personality and that's what I like about these. Its about putting my self in their shoes and experiencing a glimpse of their world not transferring myself into them.

Obviously their are games where you can put more of yourself into the experience than others but some games are like watching a movie or reading book and seeing how other people live. Like watching from a distance...

Incidentally this a place for all the games you are looking forward to in 2016 - my top 2 are both PS4 games...

Edited on by BAMozzy

MsJubilee

TwilightOniAngel wrote:

Uncharted 4 it's the main reason i'm buying a PS4.
Hitman
Quantum Break
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Cup Head
Shin Megami Tensei IV Final Whenever that game comes out to the west

Had to add Quantum Break in this list cause of that new gameplay they showed today. Game looks awesome!

Gamer83

@TwilightOniAngel:
There's so much potential in Quantum Break going even further than just the game itself. I think it can do excellent things for the medium if the tv show tie-in is as great as the game is shaping up to be.

Gamer83

MsJubilee

@Gamer83: Agreed. The gameplay reminds me alot of Max Payne and that's fantastic. I loved the Max Payne games.But i will say this it does suck barely anyone is even talking about how amazing the game is going to be when it launches. Everyone is talking about the PC version.And only that. That's sad

Gamer83

@TwilightOniAngel:
Yeah, but on the other hand I think the fact the PC version is generating talk of the game at all is positive in the long run. Also it's now available to a much wider audience. Alan Wake flopped pretty hard, which was unfortunate. This game looks like it will deserve to be a massive success and expanded audience can help that happen.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

JaxonH

Here's my 5 most anticipated games this year, newly updated.

1) Fire Emblem Fates
2) Fire Emblem Fates
3) Fire Emblem Fates
4) Fire Emblem Fates
5) Fire Emblem Fates

Oh, wait, were there other games releasing this year? Sorry, that's all can seem to think about lately.

Here's the real list

1) Fire Emblem Fates
2) Zelda U
3) Final Fantasy XV (on account of faith it arrives this year)
4) Quantum Break
5) Uncharted 4

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Xbox Gamertag: ActionJaxonH

Jairo_MC
  • Persona 5
  • Zelda U
  • Bravely Second
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Quantum Break
  • Dragon Quest VII and VIII

Jairo_MC

Xbox Gamertag: JairoMC | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.