Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Thread

Posts 1 to 16 of 16

Banjo-

Does Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (digital, backwards compatibility) include Peace Walker? I ask because I have it but haven't played and now I see Peace Walker separately. I think that the collection has Peace Walker in some versions/regions.

UPDATE:

METAL GEAR SOLID MASTER COLLECTION VOL. 1 arrives on the 24th October 2023

Here's what's included in the Master Collection Vol.1:

Title Lineup:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid (Including VR Missions/Special Missions)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)
Metal Gear (NES/FC version)
Snake's Revenge

Video:

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Graphic Novel

Digital book:

Metal Gear Solid: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid: Master Book
Metal Gear Solid 2: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid 2: Master Book
Metal Gear Solid 3: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid 3: Master Book
Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Master Book

Soundtrack:

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack

METAL GEAR SOLID MASTER COLLECTION VOL. 2 expected title lineup:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain

CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE SERIES:

1964 - 3
1970 - PORTABLE OPS
1974 - PEACE WALKER
1975 - 5: GROUND ZEROES
1984 - 5: THE PHANTOM PAIN
1995 - METAL GEAR
1999 - METAL GEAR 2
2005 - 1/THE TWIN SNAKES
2007/2009 - 2
2014 - 4
2018 - RISING REVENGEANCE

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- might have to boot it up to check or check the store page.

The physical copy for the HD collection on 360 has 2 discs, one with the "HD collection" which is one icon on the dash and the second disc has PW HD which is another icon on the dash

I always assumed the digital copies were separate purchases: HD Collection (2&3) and PW HD

Just boot the game up though and check, it takes you to a menu where you select your game so you can see if PW is on there. I don't think there is any spoilers in the menu except maybe a brief description of each game and the year it's set in.

If you do that and see PW on there, just click on it and make sure it boots. The PS3 disc version has only one disc and has all 3 games on that menu

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny Of course, I checked the collection but, because I haven't played, it could be that it was an unlockable or something. I don't know, I only had Wii that generation! It turns out Peace Walker is a separate purchase, not even DLC. I just bought it.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- ah yeah fair enough! Good stuff, enjoy peace Walker, it's a blimmin addictive game! I think I've put about 230 hours into it in two separate playthroughs!

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I have played The Twin Snakes (GC remake of the first game), 3 (3DS) and V-I/II (both titles on PS4). I enjoyed The Twin Snakes. 3 is a mixed bag on 3DS. V has great gameplay and the most ridiculous story and direction. I think I'll like the HD Collection and Peace Walker.

Banjo-

ralphdibny

@Banjo- Ground Zeroes picks up directly after where Peace Walker ends. I honestly think V would have gotten better reception if Peace Walker was a numbered entry and promoted/played as such. V makes a lot more sense after playing PW!

All brilliant games! I absolutely love this series and need a new one to come out so bad 😅

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny It seems that Konami is serious about games again so we might get more entries! 🤞 The best part of V, in my opinion of course, is the gameplay, graphics and performance. In contrast to Kojima's self-importance, the game was best at the technical aspects. I also remember that beating all the missions was quite frustrating and tested my patience. The ending is abrupt and a few missions are repeated. I guess that's when Konami said that he have had enough time and budget.

Banjo-

OskarRex

@Banjo- On digital nope. Those two are treated as two different games, they even have separate achievements lists. I have them physical but I bought them again a few years ago to play them on an old one s digital.

OskarRex

ralphdibny

@Banjo- hopefully but I'll believe it when I see it!

I think I just loved everything about V tbh, the game, the characters, the resource management, the cut scenes. It really hits hard at certain points of the story. I've played it twice on different saves and what is really cool is that cut scenes play differently depending on who has joined mother base at that point, like you can do things in different orders. The main beats of the game are the same but everyone's playthrough was different and their own. Something not often realised when discussing the game!

See ya!

Banjo-

@OskarRex @Balta666 I see.

@ralphdibny It's not just impressive technically but the cut scenes are connected to the missions in clever ways and there are surprises that make sense like the dog growing up and joining you. It's hard but realistic because of the graphics and because gameplay is "real", it makes a lot of sense. It's fantastic. The world is seamless. To approach a town, accomplish the mission and running towards the landing zone... It's an unforgettable experience. I played it a lot and it also showed me... how hot and noisy the PS4 could get 😂. I think it would be a bit easier with an Xbox controller, by the way.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

Updated for Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol.1 (Series S|X).

Banjo-

ralphdibny

Banjo- wrote:

CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE SERIES:

1964 3
1970 PORTABLE OPS
1974 PEACE WALKER
1975 5: GROUND ZEROES
1984 5: THE PHANTOM PAIN
1995 METAL GEAR
1999 METAL GEAR 2
2005 1/THE TWIN SNAKES
2007/09 2
2014 4
2018 REVENGEANCE

Probably not what you were going for but there are a few split timeline chronologies because of all the non canon spin offs - I don't know the years but I'll list them for posterity...

Split timeline 1 (alt to Metal Gear MSX):

Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's revenge (could be another timeline, not sure if it's an alternate sequel to NES or MSX version)

Split timeline 2 (set after MG2 Solid Snake and alternate timeline to MGS PS1):

Metal Gear Solid (Game Boy - Metal Gear Ghost Babel outside the UK)

Split timeline 3 (I think alt to MGS PS1? Can't remember if there's huge differences):

Twin Snakes (GameCube)

Split timeline 4 (alt to the games):

MGS Digital Graphic Novel
MGS2 Digital Graphic Novel

Split timeline 5 (I think set after MGS 2 and I think instead of MGS4/Rising):

Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2

Split timeline 6 (I can't remember if it contradicts the rest of the series but it does have time travel shenanigans):

Metal Gear Survive (set in the far future)

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I just searched and posted the chronology of the main games but additional information is welcome.

Banjo-

belmont

By the way if you 100% Ghost Babel on the game boy color you get a codec call that spoils that this game is supposed to be a VR mission for Raiden before the shell incident. Also, the canonicity of Portable Ops and Rising is debated among the fans. I personally like P.O. and I think it is canon but Peace Walker makes you think that some aspects may have happened, I guess. As for Rising I never liked it and it may be non canon since that character progress of Raiden is flushed out of the toilet. Now, the same thing happened in MGS4 but this may be Kojima praising Raiden haters.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Banjo-

@belmont Interesting. On Xbox we have 2 HD, 3 HD, Peace Walker HD, Rising Revengeance and Metal Gear 1 and 2 that are included in 3 HD. The big game that this collection adds is 1 although I have The Twin Snakes (remake of 1 for GC). The second volume would add at the very least 4 that it's stuck on PS3. It would be nice to finally have them all on Xbox.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic