Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Immortals Fenyx Rising (Sep)

Posts 2,021 to 2,038 of 2,038

Lavalera

@KilloWertz Part 2 has been rumored for a while. It's supposed to be some spinoff/prequel based on Polynesian culture. I really hope that's true and a new one is in production, part one, even though it has some rough edges and some things it can improve on, was a very good game.

PSNid: Lavalera

LtSarge

@KilloWertz The thing is that I was really enjoying the game during the first ten hours but then it started becoming repetitive.

I really hope they come out with a sequel because I love Ubisoft open world games. I love Assassin's Creed. But Immortals doesn't feel as much fun due to the emphasis on puzzles, which are everywhere. I loved Odyssey for example because it was fun exploring, gathering stuff and fighting enemies. The vast amount of puzzles in Immortals kinda ruin the pacing of the game. Not to mention the vaults which take forever!

LtSarge

TuckNorris85

Sorry I haven't been on here much this month, rest assured I am getting through Immortals though. I am enjoying it, the puzzle element is quite good.

Is the season pass worth it? I have heard mixed things.

TuckNorris85

Lavalera

@TuckNorris85 imo the season pass isn't worth it. It's like 3 stand alone pieces of dlc that just more puzzles and not really connected to the main story. I played all of them but they were nowhere near as good as the main game

Banjo-

I'm really loving it. Where Breath of the Wild was shallow, half-empty, repetitive and soulless, Immortals Fenyx Rising is packed with amazing vaults, hidden (and worthy!) treasure and phenomenal creatures and powers. It has a huge amount of Greek mythology, so that alone makes it worth playing. The controls and physics are smooth and combat is easy yet deep and fun. The graphics are awesome. It has things from Breath of the Wild, yes, and from Assassin's Creed, Monster Hunter... I mean, just like BotW also copied those games, Immortals copies others, but the world here is much more endearing. The characters are great. Noble Fenyx is, too. Gameplay is perfect.

I recommend trying to get most stuff in a region before moving to the next one. Yes, you could get more ambrosias to upgrade life in faster ways and, of course, you could try to rush the game, but I don't think it's worth it. I'm playing in normal mode and have 999 pomegranates, the fruit used to heal, after meeting three gods. I didn't shoot many trees, and when I did, it was relaxing. Gliding/flying is nicely done. Accidentally, I'm completing the supposedly fourth area as the third and don't have any issues. Combat is mostly fair. The game is magnificent.

Banjo-

Clankylad

I will also vote for Immortality. Not that I’d play it again (I’ve finished it) but because I’d be interested to see what other people think and say about it. It’s GOTY for me.

Clankylad

ralphdibny

Votes added

@Banjo- I'll stick your vote in but we tend to shy away from longer games for this club due to the month long time restraint

I did well over 100 hours on Yakuza 0 when I played it a couple years back! And since then I've probably done about 700 hours on the series as a whole 😆. I'm actually currently playing Fist of the North Star on PS4 which is made by the same studio and has the same voice cast

Banjo-

@ralphdibny I checked the whole list of Game Pass games and my vote remains. I wanted to suggest Psychonauts too but both games have been part of the thread before. I'm glad that you liked Yakuza, I haven't played any title yet. If it's not selected I'll probably play it anyway, or Psychonauts...

Banjo-

HarmanSmith

@Banjo- IMO, you can't go wrong with Psychonauts. Finished that one last month (finally!). I haven't played any Yakuza (now Like a Dragon) games, so I will probably check one in the near future.

@ralphdibny I would like to vote for Immortality too, even if I didn't understand it at first . This seems like a one to try, at least once.

BTW, Is Fist of the North Star good? I played one of these, I think, on the NES ages ago.

HarmanSmith

Xbox Gamertag: GarcianSmith

Banjo-

@HarmanSmith Thanks! I might try Immortality, too. I don't know if I'll like it and finish it but that's the great thing about Game Pass.

Banjo-

Lavalera

@HarmanSmith Fist of the North Star is a good game.In a lot of ways it is like the other Yakuza/Like a Dragon games. It is bases on a popular 80s manga Hokuto no Shinken. The protagonist was bases on Bruce Lee and the world on Mad Max. RGG, the studio behind the Yakuza games, made a game based on it which came to the west in 2018 on ps4. In a lot of ways it is like the Yakuza games with a lot of side content and fun mini games. Open world and a pretty good story. You can play it fully seperate from the Yakuza/Like a Dragon games.

HarmanSmith

BTW, I have finished Immortals. So, here are my finals thoughts...

Immortals was, I think, unjustly compared with BoTW, and maybe alienated many players, because the critics said this Ubi title was a "BoTW of lesser quality". But no! This one's a great adventure game. It reminded me of a time long gone when a much younger version of me thought Ubi could do no wrong, with all their Splinter Cell and Rayman games (oh boy, I was sooo naive). So, I would describe Immortals more like a funny take on the Assassin's Creed formula than a BoTW clone.

I tend to agree with @Banjo-. Immortals is one of my favorite games of the last few years! It plays nice, the combat is fun, I loved the characters (maybe the humour isn't everybody's cup of tea, but nevertheless is a nice change of mood in a sea of hyperserious games - you know which ones) and the graphics and art style are cool.

Now, of course, it has some flaws. Like @LtSarge said, there's so many dungeons and puzzles and to beat some of them may take sooo long! This is one of the "negative" aspects of the AC formula: it may seem that the game is so bloated with content. But, of course, this is relative: in my playthrough, I could progress without doing much of the puzzles and dungeons. So, if you want to go all the way, you can go and beat every side mission and puzzle, because most of them are fun, interesting and challenging, if a little bit repetitive. But, if you don't feel like it, you can't skip most of them and still beat the game. I know I did .

So, that's that. Loved this underrated game, and I hope Ubi will do a prequel/sequel because this new IP surely deserves it, despite all the "BoTW clone" claims.

And thanks to everybody for the warm welcome, this one is my first game on the Pure Xbox Game Club!

HarmanSmith

HarmanSmith

@Lavalera Thank you! I wil check it that one out. I remember one Fist of the North Star game on the NES. IIRC, it was one when the enemies exploded when you hit them. If I am honest, that one sacred me (I was a child back then)! I didn't know how the game was called, until some years ago and then I found about the manga and the new games in the series.

HarmanSmith

Banjo-

@HarmanSmith I completely agree with you about Immortals. It's very important to note how wrong the Breath of the Wild clone claims are, and I have to disagree with LtSarge' complaints, because a large part of the map is optional and to have those optional elements is positive because they are good quality. The vaults where you get something for the gods are like full dungeons and the puzzle vaults are very satisfying. Combat and exploration are rewarding. I have almost completely these areas: Clashing Rocks, Valley of Eternal Spring, War's Den and The Forgelands. I have maximised the stamina and I'm about to maximise the health bar. I could play the rest of the game without doing any more vaults or collecting ambrosias but I won't, and it's not because they have a different purpose now but because I will play the rest of the game as I have played it this far, enjoying all the quality content it has to offer.

The only things that I could criticise are Zeus' jokes and the weird accents but that's subjective. The rest of the gods, Hermes and Fenyx are great. I'm playing as male Fenyx and he's a very likeable character. To compare this game to BotW so obsessively is a mistake. I don't care what reviewers and fans say, I'm a huge Zelda fan myself. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are three of my favourite games ever. Immortals has elements from many games, from several genres, just as BotW, but BotW doesn't do much for the gameplay, the content nor the story but focuses on dull exploration and the occasional clever use of physics and elements.

My only doubt now is if I should get and play the DLC, because opinions are mixed.

Banjo-

LtSarge

@Banjo- Of course most of the stuff on the map is optional - it's an open world game. It's just like how there are all kinds of things you can do besides the main story in games like GTA, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and so on. But just because it's optional doesn't mean that you're not allowed to criticise it. After all, it's content offered in the final product. It's for the same reason why people dislike Assassin's Creed because the worlds are cluttered with meaningless collectibles. These collectibles are also optional, yet the series gets a lot of flack for including them, which is completely understandable.

You can't expect people to play an open world game and ignore what's available to them. Of course I'm going to do vaults and solve puzzles in order to improve my character and make progressing through the story easier for myself. In other words, I'm doing what the game expects me to do. You complete vaults/puzzles, get rewards, upgrade your character, rinse and repeat. That's the formula. The issue isn't the rewards, the issue is the objectives, which are repetitive and long-winded.

If you tell people that it's okay that objectives are repetitive because they are optional, then that doesn't really sound like an open world game worth playing now does it? Kinda defeats the purpose of playing it then if you want an open world experience.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Banjo-

@LtSarge Yes, you have said your opinion before and I respect it, all I said is that I have to disagree with you.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic