Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Rise of the Tomb Raider (May)

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 3,393

Lavalera

@ZeD funny to see how we can see things differently I chose to have Alex leave with Steph. Because in my mind those 2 just belong together and the goal of Alex to go there was to find true love and get to a new future with Steph. I am going to replay it again and wonder if on a replay I feel the same.

PSNid: Lavalera

themightyant

@ZeD Nice. And good luck with the 100,000GS. I got to 220,000 but have slightly soured on achievement hunting recently. Too many that waste our time!

themightyant

ralphdibny

Balta666 wrote:

@ralphdibny wow that was quite a story for someone writting on the phone

I never fully embraced MGS as I never owned PlayStation consoles (have played bits of some entries though) but it is definitely on my bucket list. I now own the HD remake, V and rising and will try the first ones when my Steam deck arrives!

haha nah that long post was my first using the computer instead!!

Well worth trying them, I actually didn't play a lot of them contemporaneously. I played the first one a lot on ps1 when I was little and when it came out. However I had a gamecube during the ps2 era and i began the ps3 era with a Wii so i spent those years reading about how bonkers the series had become. Then i got a PS3 at the back end of that generation and played through 2&3 on the HD collection, 4 and Rising. I actually bought my PS4 when MGSV came out (i have the mgs V themed ps4) and I also picked up a PSP so I could play the rest of the Big Boss saga before i started V (3: Snake Eater (3DS Version this time)>Portable Ops (psp)>Peace Walker HD>Ground Zeroes>The Phantom Pain)

When I played all of them again during the pandemic, i made a point to also play all of the 2D games in the series (Metal Gear, Snakes Revenge, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid on game boy colour which was known as ghost babel in other regions). The pandemic playthrough also included the Twin Snakes remake of MGS and also Survive, both of which I hadn't played before.

There are only 4 single player Metal Gear games that i haven't played: Metal Gear Solid Mobile (for the n-gage 2 platform), Metal Gear Acid, Metal Gear Acid 2 and Metal Gear Touch. (for iPhone 3). I am planning to play through the first 3 games at least once i can be bothered to get the n-gage emulator working!

@themightyant I am with you on the 10/10 thing, I have a bunch of games that i think are 10s and while they aren't all comparable to each other, they either did what they did really well or had a profound effect on me when i played them.

glad that FIFA 2000 story gave you a lol. At least i only fall asleep at virtual wheels. Though there is something to be said for how i feel if i do some real world driving after playing mario kart or crash team racing for a weekend lol

@rjejr no worries! let me know if you change your mind. A fair few games we choose are multiplatform so there may be some you can play on playstation/nintendo. You are welcome to come and join in casually if you like too. tag lists be damned!

@jarvismp i used to be a big fan of Kings of Leon, probably around the years of their first 3 or 4 albums. I saw them at Reading festival in maybe 2007? Haven't heard any of their stuff in donkey's years!

Clankylad wrote:

@ralphdibny Yes please.

Slight difficulty in that I played through the game twice on release and don’t fancy another run through just yet. However, I’m interested to see what others think of it since I liked it.

No worries, the game will change next month anyway so hopefully it is one that you havent played already. You can vote for what game you would like to play next month too. I am going to tally up the votes in a minute and post a link to the list.

See ya!

ralphdibny

Ok, I have done the votes and currently Mass Effect (1) Legendary Edition is in first place with 4 votes.

Please feel free to vote if you haven't already and also let me know if I have missed any votes as I have gone through this thread. You can see the list along with the tally and who voted for what here in Post 1453.

See ya!

Grail_Quest

@ralphdibny I vote for Brutal Legend! That game has been on my must play list for some time!

Bring back Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good & Evil, Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Suikoden, Lunar, Alundra, Lufia and King's Quest!

BaldBelper78

I just wanted to say thank you for setting this group up. I am open about the fact that I have bi polar disorder and at times life can be tough, as it can be for us all.
This game really resonated with me. We all know those people who we can pick vibes of just like Alex can.
Grief is a hard thing to deal with and we don’t get over it but get better at learning to live with it.
I found the music inspiring and the acting superb. I felt engrossed as if watching a box set.

It touched some emotions and made me cry and I don’t care that it made me cry. I’m actually glad it did.

Actually have a game to set aside each month is a great to watch to just not write about games but just enjoy and immerse in the experience.

Life truly is strange and we all find out our true Colours i life.

Mental health is so important and this game made me think about and address some feelings. That’s how powerful gaming is.

I am sorry if anybody thinks I am sad for saying this but I wanted to say a genuine thank you to @ralphdibny for owning this up to us all.

Thanks.

Matt Jarvis.

Edited on by BaldBelper78

BaldBelper78

Twitter:

ralphdibny

@jarvismp heya, thanks and not sad at all. However that probably doesn't mean much from the person you are thanking 😅.

thanks for opening up to us re: your bipolar. I think it is a hard thing for many to understand beyond the name of the condition and its very brave of you to attach your real name to it too. (I am still hiding behind the alter ego of DC's Elongated Man 😀)

I know its not the same but I think I have been fairly open about my own mental health in the past here, mainly the cliché ones such as anxiety and depression (possibly some undiagnosed PTSD from a bad experience in my early 20s - I can't be sure of this but looking back with how I dealt with it, it really seems like that is what it was) but I have never really been to a doctor about anything. I have gone to get counselling a couple of times but have always bottled it at the last minute or just not found the time once the NHS waiting list deigns to allow me to partake. To be honest though, after what seemed an eternity of self loathing, I now normally know what is causing my poor mental health because I am painfully self-aware and hold no self illusion unless it is on the pessimistic side. So I am able to maintain myself to a functional level by distracting myself to reduce conscious thinking and if I have a particularly bad few days/weeks/months then I can normally work out what the physical trigger for it is, usually poor sleep, poor nutrition, lack of exercise, lack of water etc. or indeed the mental trigger which will be an ongoing unpleasant situation which I deal with in various ways depending on the specific issue.

That said, even though I haven't played Life Is Strange 3, I am really glad that it had such a profound effect on you. It can be a really nice feeling when that sort of thing happens. When games address the specifics of mental health directly it becomes such a weird thing because its efficacy is really dependent on the experiences of the audience. For example, I found Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to be a really relatable experience because of all the cyclical and unrelenting self doubting thoughts that she faced in that game. On the other hand, a game like Fractured Minds while impressive, both because of being able to develop the game at a young age and the developer's ability to understand (i think?) her own mental health to that extent at that age, didn't really resonate with me as much. Maybe there is a condition that literally gives you a mental boogeyman but when the idea is used in other works, I normally interpret the boogeyman to be vaguely metaphorical for self doubt or some other aspect of poor mental health so the trope rarely speaks to me and my experience directly.

Of course, I really like when mental health is integrated naturally into the story which it is in a lot of games that actually have a story. Even stuff that one might see in themselves or people they encounter on an every day basis that wouldn't necessarily be considered or discussed as a mental health issue. Stuff like Huey's maniacal inferiority complex in MGS: Peace Walker and MGSV: The Phantom Pain that leads to his snivelling flip-flop of allegiances, also stuff like Nate's unresting and unfulfilled desire for adventure in Uncharted 4 and how it conflicts with his desire for a comfortable and happy life with Elena. Little touches like that make video game characters really relatable and recognisable.

That's not to say it can't be clumsily handled as well. I would probably drift into the mediums of film and television for examples of that. I suppose generally, unless I discussed it with somebody else at the time, poor handling of the topic in any work would have drifted from my mind over time.

Most games can make you feel a certain way, but I also enjoy it when that feeling is really intense. The Talos Principle was one game that just completely took me out of the real world and immersed me in a constant sense of dread, fear and wonder. It was more of a philosophical exploration but no less profound. Of course, I also get those more typical spine tingling "yeah!" moments that are engineered into a lot of Hollywood movies and games that are inspired by them such as (Avengers Endgame spoilers) when Captain America lifts Thor's hammer and wields it so deftly as to summon lightning and also basically the entire final act of Metal Gear Solid 4 from the radioactive corridor to the era spanning music during Snake's extended and emotional final hand to hand battle with Liquid.

But yeah, thank you for joining us and thank you for sharing your thoughts on the game and its effect on you! I don't often have time to reply on this thread, let alone actually play the game but I thought I would share some of my own somewhat related thoughts because you tagged me in your post. Thanks again!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

TuckNorris85

Just played first chapter of True Colours, seems pretty interesting so far. I missed an achievement though, fortunately scene select is quite specific so I found it behind the bar eventually, took ages though lol

TuckNorris85

liljazzy2

I just finished True Colors last night. Overall I'm glad I played it. However, I have a difficult time thinking of this as a game. Not trying to be controversial or pedantic, but it's more of just an interactive story. A digital choose your own adventure.

I loved the graphics and style. Thought the character models for Alex, Steph, and Jed were amazing. Loved the music as well! As a 40 year old gamer, I was pleasantly surprised that the 21 year old Alex chose to cover Radiohead's Creep and The Violent Femmes' Blister in the Sun when she played music. Super cool. The story didn't really work for me overall. I'll leave everyone else to discover and decide for themselves.

Edited on by liljazzy2

liljazzy2

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic